Start by marking “The Secret Life of Stars: Astrophysics for Everyone” as Want to Read:
The Secret Life of Stars: Astrophysics for Everyone

The Secret Life of Stars: Astrophysics for Everyone

We all know the Sun, the powerhouse of our solar system, but what about Luyten’s Flare, the Rosino-Zwicky Object or Chanal’s variable star? For those whose curiosity takes them far beyond Earth’s atmosphere, The Secret Life of Stars offers a personal and readily understood introduction to some of the Galaxy’s most remarkable stars.

Each chapter connects us to the various d
Published September 29th 2020 by Thames & Hudson Australia Pty Ltd

To ask other readers questions about The Secret Life of Stars, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Secret Life of Stars

Start your review of The Secret Life of Stars: Astrophysics for Everyone
Brooklyn Tayla
Oct 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
I’ve always been utterly captivated by stars, it’s just so fascinating to me that the night sky is so endlessly expansive with an infinite vastness of stars, some that the human eye can’t even ever set their eyes on for they’re so far away! Yet, there are a lot that any one human can gaze and admire, something which I think should be appreciated in itself.
This book is just such a pleasure to read, it’s equally educational, I’m so excited to have read it and learnt about the infinite plethora of
Annie
Oct 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Having always found astronomy fascinating, I thoroughly enjoyed this book where I was able to immerse myself into a non-fiction text that triggered my imagination and showed me just how much more there are to the twinkles we see in the night sky. Entertaining, simultaneously educational, this book is suitable for readers young and older. I could feel the passion the author has with astrophysics when reading this book and believe there should be more resources like this in libraries and schools. ...more
Kelly (Diva Booknerd)
Sep 27, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: thames-hudson
Stars are born, they age before slowing succumbing to the inevitable, their ashes returned to the cosmos. Anaximander and Aristotle, Johannes Kepler, Isaac Newton and Neil Degrasse Tyson, composers and artists, our universe captivates humankind, our sense of wonder and curiosity has inspired generations of scientists and amateur astronomers. Written in engaging and accessible language, The Secret Life of Stars, Astrophysics for Everyone is fascinating and entertaining, a wonderful reference infu ...more
intentlyreading
Oct 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
The Secret Life of Stars

By Lisa Harvey-Smith ( @lisa.harveysmith )

Synopsis:

Each chapter connects us to the various different and unusual stars and their amazing charac
Gill
Oct 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
A fascinating non-fiction book aimed at teens which explains astrophysics in a compelling and accessible way, exploring a life of stars in the galaxy and beyond.
Full review here.
allieereads
Review to come!
Sarah Fairbairn
Oct 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A book on Astrophysics aimed at teens, yes please! Science was one of my favourite classes in high school (that and Art & Drama, yes, yes, strange mix I know).

From the moment Lisa introduced herself at the start, just the vibe I got from reading her introduction, I knew I was going to enjoy this book. What I didn’t anticipate was how much I was going to love this book or the intense pull it would awaken in me to stop, slow down, and gaze up at the stars with a reinvigorating sense of wonder.

Be
Angie
Oct 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
Thank you to the publisher for sending me a review copy.

I have thoroughly enjoyed making my way through this book. The Secret Life of Stars is a nonfiction book about astrophysics. If you think that means it’s boring, or too difficult to understand... think again! Lisa Harvey-Smith’s writing is engaging and she has produced a book that is fascinating and very readable. To be honest, she writes the way I talk, only better.

I suppose it’s frowned upon in some scientific circles, but I love the wa
Carly
Oct 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The Secret Life of Stars: Astrophysics for Everyone had the honour of being my first ever arc, and I am truly honoured to have read it. With that in mind, please let me send a huge thank you to AusYABloggers and Thames and Hudson for my copy.

Lisa Harvey-Smith painted the universe in a beautifully humanised way, making the stars feel like old relatives or family friends you talk about over the dinner table. Lisa made the stars humorous and (somewhat) relatable. I can now joke that I know couples
Sim ✨(wholesimreads)
Oct 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
🌟🌟🌟🌟 4 stars
✔️ 18. A book on a subject you know nothing about

📸 Picture this: an interstellar literary journey [pun intended] as chaperoned by a millennial, 21st century ‘Ms Frizzle’. Sounds good, right? Absolutely ✨

I thoroughly enjoyed this adventure into outer space; learning all about stars, how they live, the many mysteries of the Universe and the science behind it all. I found myself re-reading sentences so I could fully comprehend the content, but it wasn’t at all overwhelming or intimidati
Nadia King
Oct 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
If you, like me, want to better understand stars, then The Secret Life of Stars by Lisa Harvey-Smith is the book for you. Covering the life of our Sun, red dwarfs, brown dwarfs, gravitational waves, giant stars, cannibalistic stars, black holes, and much more, The Secret Life of Stars is a fascinating account of how stars behave in relation to each other.

Told in a conversational style and using human relationships as metaphors for the behaviour of stars, The Secret Life of Stars gave this STEM-c
Luce
Oct 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
Video review coming tomorrow!
Louise
Oct 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc-books
Rating: 4.5/5
Cassie
Oct 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Very interesting, well written and super easy to understand.
Imogen

• Before the Beginning
  • Indigo Owl
  • None Shall Sleep
  • You Were Made For Me
  • Heartstopper: Volume Two (Heartstopper, #2)
  • Migrations
  • All That Impossible Space
  • Aurora Burning (The Aurora Cycle, #2)
  • The Lost Library
  • Rebel Gods
  • Loveless
  • Harrow Lake
  • Blood & Honey (Serpent & Dove, #2)
  • Hollowpox: The Hunt for Morrigan Crow (Nevermoor, #3)
  • Girl, Serpent, Thorn
  • Forest of a Thousand Lanterns (Rise of the Empress, #1)
  • The Inheritance Games (The Inheritance Games, #1)
  • A Touch of Darkness (Hades & Persephone, #1)