Start by marking “The Last Thing He Told Me” as Want to Read:

3.88  ·  Rating details ·  578,773 ratings  ·  40,915 reviews
Alternate cover editions of ISBN 9781501171345 can be found here and here.

The instant #1 New York Times bestselling mystery and Reese Witherspoon Book Club pick that’s captivated more than a million readers about a woman searching for the truth about her husband’s disappearance…at any cost.

Before Owen Michaels disappears, he manages to smuggle a note to his beloved wife of
Published May 4th 2021 by Simon & Schuster
Featured Notes & Highlights
Laura - author, Mystery & Thriller

To ask other readers questions about The Last Thing He Told Me, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers... (view spoiler)
Melissa Davis
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

·  578,773 ratings  ·  40,915 reviews

Start your review of The Last Thing He Told Me
Nilufer Ozmekik
Feb 22, 2021 rated it really liked it
Great news! This book won Goodreads Choice Awards in thriller category! Well deserved! In my opinion each book at the category was amazing! It was the most competitive category! I still ask myself why I didn’t give this book five stars! Especially the ending… I think I may start crying at each time I remember the ending!🥺🥺🥺

Good news! This amazing book will be adapted into mini series on Apple TV. Semi good news is Jennifer Garner replaced Julia Roberts for leading role.🤗

Another gripping, unputdo
Anna
May 12, 2021 rated it did not like it
I honestly thought this was really bad. The writing was poor and inconsistent, there were tons of grammatical errors, and the story demanded a huge suspension of disbelief.

Hannah’s husband Owen disappears amidst a scandal at his job, and he leaves behind a note that simply says “Protect her.” This note refers to his 16 year old daughter, Bailey. Hannah then spends the entire book on a fact finding mission to determine what happened, and uncovers secrets about his past. Secrets that, in my opini
Holly  B
I would call this one more of a domestic drama with just a bit of suspense.

It was slightly addictive in the beginning, but became pretty far-fetched pretty quickly and I wasn't buying into the "predicament" this family got wrapped up in. Their actions didn't seem reasonable or realistic.

There was some good character development, but the further I got, the more outlandish it became and not in a good, fun way. I don't mind suspending belief most of the time, I was just expecting a realistic type
Emily (Books with Emily Fox)
I'm wondering how these books become the winner's of the Goodreads Choice Awards.
Are we reading the same books? This was.... meh
Gabby
Less of a thriller and more of a mystery in my opinion. I thought this story started off pretty strong and interesting but I quickly lost interest and became bored with the story and didn't really care what happened to this man. It was quick enough read, but totally forgettable. I finished it a few days ago and I'm already starting to forget the details. ...more
Virginie Roy
May 14, 2021 rated it liked it
A drama/mystery that left me wondering : why all the hype?

First of all, I'm really happy for all my GR friends who loved this book. I'm glad I gave it a try after reading your wonderful reviews. I liked the premise, but I thought the execution was a bit simplistic and the main character was bland.

On the other hand, I had no problem with the writing and it was a fast read. I wasn't bored, but I wasn't enthralled nor touched either. I definitely felt there was something missing.

Many tha
Lisa of Troy
Apr 11, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
Check out my 1 minute spoiler free video review here: https://youtu.be/d9P7Ky3XDIE

The book features a newly married Hannah who discovers that her husband, Owen Michaels, has disappeared. He leaves her a note, “Protect her.” What could it mean? One thing. His daughter, Bailey. Bailey, the 16 year old, who is high on attitude and likes her stepmother as much as the typical 16 year old. What happened to Owen? How will things turn out for Bailey and Hannah?

Clear your schedule because you will need
Meredith (Slowly Catching Up)
Jan 07, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
“Don’t Ask a Question You Don’t Want the Answer To.”

The Last Thing He Told Me
is a mystery/domestic suspense about a man living a lie and his wife and daughter who struggle to discover who he really is

When Hannah Hall receives a note from her husband stating nothing more than “Protect her,” one random afternoon, her whole world shatters. Her husband Owen has disappeared without a trace, and she soon learns that he was not the man she thought he was. Charged with taking care of her contenti
Jena Roach
May 22, 2021 rated it did not like it
Oof. I haven't read one this bad in a while. Reese Witherspoon lost my trust a long time ago, but wowza she needs to fire whoever is on her pickin' committee. I'm truly baffled by the hype for this book.

Hannah, a character with about as much zip as a saltine cracker, finds a note from her husband Owen that simply says, "Protect her." (Don't worry you don't have to remember that line because the author repeats it 304930 times.) Puzzled, our vanilla bean protagonist does not understand w
MarilynW
Apr 28, 2021 rated it really liked it
The Last Thing He Told Me by Laura Dave

Hannah Hall has married Owen, a man that walked into her 'woodturning" shop and swept her off her feet despite her resistance, due to having just broken up with her fiancée. Owen's sixteen year old daughter, Bailey, despises everything about Hannah but Hannah is determined to win her over someday. Life is good for Hannah, she loves her work, she loves both Owen and Bailey, she finally has a family after suffering for decades over feelings of abandonment bec
Farrah
Mar 03, 2021 rated it it was amazing
⭐4.5 𝙩𝙝𝙞𝙨 𝙞𝙨 𝙨𝙤𝙤𝙤 𝙢𝙮 𝙠𝙞𝙣𝙙𝙖 𝙗𝙤𝙤𝙠 𝙎𝙩𝙖𝙧𝙨⭐

𝘛𝘩𝘦 𝘓𝘢𝘴𝘵 𝘛𝘩𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘏𝘦 𝘛𝘰𝘭𝘥 𝘔𝘦 is a domestic suspense/mystery that takes a unique look at family, loyalty and trust.

The chapters we're short and to the point, no filler, yet I was very impressed by how vividly the characters were brought to life in such a short amount of time.

I see that normally people refer to themselves as an outlier when they enjoy a book less than most and I think it's possible that I'll be a reverse outlier with this one but I was hooked f
Haley pham
Jan 12, 2022 rated it really liked it
The last line is so heart warming wow. Loved the characters.
daph pink ♡
2*whatever* stars!
This is going to be one of those hyped books I found pretty average.

It started off really well with a good enough mystery to keep my mind around, but then it slowly started getting downhill with its boring narrative and pretty average plotline and twists.

The writing was pretty easy to read which I am most thankful about, otherwise I don't know how the hell I would have completed this in two sitting.

And don't even get me started on that ridiculously filmy and cheesy ending.

H
chan ☆
Oct 10, 2021 rated it it was amazing
i like mysteries more than thrillers and i'm not afraid to say it ...more
Susan's Reviews
May 31, 2021 rated it liked it
Such decent writing.
Such a dull, long winded plot.
Such an unsatisfying ending for me. This one got me down.
I'm rating it a 3.5 out of 5 and reducing it to a 3 because I had just read a hilarious comedy (The Car Share), and was feeling no pain, only to be brought down by this one.

Emotional manipulation, a term I'm borrowing from another Goodreads' friend, is not my thing: people will flock to books that make you cry: I'll only read those if there is redemption and a hint of hope to be found. Thi
jessica
Jul 14, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
ive seen mixed reviews for this one, so i was a little nervous going into it. but i had literally zero expectations, which is probably why i enjoyed it so much.

i was immediately hooked from the beginning. i think the pacing is spot on, the flashbacks are effective, the characters are relatable, and the plot is very straightforward. i really, really enjoyed how even though the mystery of the missing husband is at the forefront of the story, the growing bond between hannah and bailey is really wor
Regina
Jul 05, 2021 rated it really liked it
The thing is, I like mysteries that aren’t about someone being murdered or sexually assaulted once in awhile. Unraveling the “what happened” thread in a novel doesn’t always have to be tied to figuring out who did the stabbing or the grabbing.

In The Last Thing He Told Me, Hannah’s new husband vanishes right after he has a note delivered to her asking that she protect his teenage daughter, Bailey. Here the “what happened” questions are: Where did he go? Protect her from what? Will he come back?
preoccupiedbybooks
Published Today! (4th May 2021)

A suspenseful, addictive and surprisingly emotional mystery about family and love

Hannah Hall receives a note from her husband Owen, saying only 'protect her' before he disappears, leaving Hannah to take care of his 16 year old daughter Bailey. What is going on? Where is Owen? Who can Hannah trust? And does she really know her husband?

I really enjoyed The Last Thing He Told Me, and flew through the pages, needing to know what would happen to Hannah, Bailey and Owen
Val ⚓️ Shameless Handmaiden ⚓️
4.5 Stars Upgraded to 5 Stars...

...because even though I said below that I hated the ending...the ending also made this book really stick with me. I still think about it months and months later. So five big ones.

Original Review

I haven't been in a reviewing mood lately at ALL, but I wanted to get something down here before I completely forgot...

I really enjoyed this one. I enjoyed Dave's writing and I liked how things were slowly revealed to us. I don't want to say too much as I obviously don't
Dorie  - Cats&Books :)
***NOW AVAILABLE***

My first thoughts on this book as I was finishing it were that this was a very slowly paced novel. This is definitely not a thriller as I would define it. I never had that taut, scary feeling that something was going to happen that was terrible, horrible, world changing. There was suspense but it was not that chilling feeling I was expecting.

The author definitely has a knack for creating and filling out her characters. Hannah is a woman who loves her husband and can’t believ
Liz
May 29, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As a stepmother whose husband had full custody of 4 teenage girls, this book immediately grabbed me. It’s been decades, but I still remember that feeling of walking on eggshells, trying to develop a relationship with each of them. In fact, at one point, Hannah thinks something I always used to tell myself - pick your battles. So, when her husband Owen goes missing, leaving her a note instructing her to protect her step daughter Bailey, I could totally picture myself in her shoes. I love how thes ...more
Paromjit
May 02, 2021 rated it really liked it
Laura Dave writes a terrifically impressive and moreish suspense novel that shines in its depiction of a moving and growing relationship between Hannah and her 16 year old stepdaughter, Bailey, that develops from a problematic one to a more profound and trusting one. Its evolution begins with the disappearance of Owen Michaels, a man Hannah had been married to for just longer than a year, only for him to suddenly disappear, leaving behind a strange note saying 'protect her' with reference to Bai ...more
JanB

Hannah is happily married to Owen, and struggling with her relationship with his daughter, Bailey, who is barely civil to her. Hannah’s husband disappears and she finds only a note with two words: “Protect her”. She knows the note refers to her stepdaughter Bailey. But why? And protect her from what? When Hannah receives visits from the FBI and a U.S Marshal, and does some digging herself, she begins to understand that her husband Owen was not who she thought he was.

Told in two timelines – one
Erica Lieb
Jun 09, 2021 rated it did not like it
I enjoyed reading the 2 star and below reviews more than I enjoyed the actual book. At least I’m not alone in my reaction to this faulty plot. Hannah’s characterization made NO sense. She starts off as this flighty, artsy, successful wood maker who daintily loses her parking ticket on her first date with Owen. Then she (mind you with no progression), grows into super mom and detective of the year. She also seemed to drop her career along the way. Lots of random side plots and characters with una ...more
Natalie Lamm
May 15, 2021 rated it did not like it
This book was straight. Up. STUPID.
Jayme
Jan 02, 2021 rated it really liked it
3.75 rounded up!

“PROTECT HER”

Owen disappears just as his boss is arrested by the FBI, but before leaving, he has a student deliver to his wife Hannah, a note, which says just those two words.

Hannah knows that he is referring to his 16 year old daughter, Bailey, from a previous marriage,but from WHO or WHAT must she protect her from?

She thought she knew her husband pretty well, but he was hiding more than a few secrets, and she will need her uncooperative step daughter to help her unravel the
Julie
Aug 13, 2022 rated it it was amazing
The Last Thing He Told Me by Laura Dave is a 2021 Simon & Schuster publication.

This book got lots of ‘buzz’ last year, was a Reese Witherspoon book club pick, and an instant NYT bestseller. Naturally, I added it to my TBR list… but it took me over a year to finally get around to reading it, but boy was it worth the wait!!

The story grabbed my attention immediately, but I couldn’t have guessed how engrossing, smart and well-plotted the book would be, or how emotional it would become…

Hannah and
David Putnam
Aug 21, 2021 rated it really liked it
Nice read. The best part about this one is the authors great skill level, the voice, the characters.
This is a Reese Whitherspoon book club choice. I have yet to have a bad read with her books. She always makes excellent choices. Some, of course are better than others. This one is a short read. The way the book is constructed with the extra pages at chapter breaks, the font, spacing, it makes it seem longer. This one is 3.5 stars, rounding up to 4. The story didn’t have enough depth of story and
Katie Akins
Jul 15, 2021 rated it did not like it
I received this book through Book of the Month. I poured myself a glass of wine, settled into my hammock chair on the back patio and relished the idea of a good read.
As soon as I cracked open The Last Thing He Told Me, a bird pooped in it.
Now, as far as I know, birds can't read, but I'm not Snow White. And so, rather than heed the obvious warning from my avian brethren, I snapped a picture for social media, wrote a quippy caption, and after making sure the bird didn't poop in my wine, I read it
Kat (Books are Comfort Food)
May 06, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2021-books
This is a low-key (versus frantic) suspenseful story that kept me turning page after page. I enjoyed the characters and especially the relationship between Hannah and Bailey.

Owen and Hannah were married only but a year when he doesn’t return home from work, instead she’s handed a note that says, “Protect her.”

This kicks off the mystery about where Owen is, what he’s done and where that leaves Hannah and Bailey, who don’t get along, because Bailey hasn’t taken well to Hannah as a step-mom.

Hanna
New reader needs guidance 2 10 Nov 28, 2022 08:31AM
Pelion Branch Lib...: Communication 5 4 Nov 22, 2022 08:28AM
Goodreads Librari...: Missing page number 3 8 Nov 20, 2022 06:15AM
J.D. Robb : * The Last Thing He Told Me by Laura Dave - Feb. 2023 BOM 5 13 Oct 31, 2022 07:52AM
Best Thrillers 4 121 Oct 27, 2022 01:04AM
Goodreads Choice ...: The Last Thing He Told Me - September 2022 21 140 Sep 27, 2022 07:21AM

• Six Weeks to Live
  • The Photographer
  • The Serial Killer’s Wife
  • Gone for Good (Detective Annalisa Vega, #1)
  • The Perfect Family
  • The Necklace
  • Reluctantly Home
  • Dark Roads
See top shelves…
Laura Dave is the #1 New York Times bestselling author of several critically acclaimed novels including The Last Thing He Told Me, Eight Hundred Grapes and The First Husband. Her work has been published in thirty-two countries, and five of her novels, including The Last Thing he Told Me, have been optioned for film and television. She resides in Santa Monica, California.

Her new novel, The Last Thi

Articles featuring this book

Now that we’re halfway through the year, it’s time to check in on the 2022 Goodreads Reading Challenge, our rigorous annual initiative for book...
“He never understood that I wasn’t scared of someone leaving me, I was scared that the wrong person would stay.” 54 likes
“This is the terrible thing about a tragedy. It isn't with you every minute. You forget it, and then you remember it again.” 54 likes