Start by marking “The Broken Unicorn (Dreamland Adventures #2)” as Want to Read:
The Broken Unicorn (Dreamland Adventures #2)

The Broken Unicorn

(Dreamland Adventures #2)

At school a new girl comes to class. When they find her crying in the woods Eric and Enya get suspicious.
Then there is the mysterious and vicious black dog. Does that have a connection in the real world too?"
The children learn that every action has a consequence, but things can
Published September 1st 2020 by Dream Meadow Press

To ask other readers questions about The Broken Unicorn, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Broken Unicorn

Start your review of The Broken Unicorn (Dreamland Adventures #2)
MissBecka Gee
There is something off with this book.
If he had cut out all the "real world" stuff it would have been a lovely & adventurous picture book.
Conversely, he could have made it longer allowing the details to develop more organically.
Since the book is in between those two ideas it feels rushed & unfinished, but somehow overthought?
Cool idea, just not well implemented.
Thanks to NetGalley & BooksGoSocial for my DRC.
Natalie
Jul 23, 2021 rated it liked it

The Broken Unicorn is a children's fantasy story about two children Eric and Enya, who travel to a magical place called Dreamland in the form of magical creatures.
One day they hear a wailing sound and stumble upon a unicorn with a broken horn. Eric and Enya befriend the unicorn in the Dreamland world and in the real world when they discover who she really is.
This book covers
Lata
Nov 13, 2020 rated it it was ok
Thank you to Netgalley and BooksGoSocial for this ARC.

Much as I like fantasy stories and particularly love stories with dragons in them, I found it hard to get engaged in this story. I did not find the characters compelling, and I found the writing flat. This led me to not be able to feel the magic of the amazing, fantastic creatures in this story, and did not find the relationships between the kids compelling as they dealt with situations in both Dreamland and in real life.
Lizz Axnick
Nov 27, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: ng-reviews
This book was clearly aimed for small children. I read a lot of YA novels and "kid's books" that are still enjoyable by adults but this one is definitely aimed for a younger crowd. However, I still did not enjoy the plot much.

Eric and his friend Enya travel to Dreamworld as dragons and other creatures. One day they stumble upon a unicorn with a broken horn and broken wings (wouldn't that be a Pegasus?) who is wailing in the meadow. They later learn that in their world, this belongs to a new gir
Selena
Mar 16, 2021 rated it it was amazing
A dragon and a rabbit are playing in Dreamland when they come across a unicorn with a broken horn crying. She is crying so hard and so much that her tears have created a river. Two children are able to go to Dreamland to escape from the world we live in. They are able to run and play in whatever form they want. Eric usually chooses a dragon and Enya chooses a rabbit.

They soon discover the unicorn with the broken horn is a new girl in school named Cecelia. This is where their lives begin to take
Lyndsey
Oct 29, 2020 rated it really liked it
This is a lovely introduction to fantasy for children, allowing them to explore their imagination through a "dreamworld" depicted. The author uses this metaphysical reality to set morals about friendship and helping each other, while making the story interesting and dramatic for the young reader.
I enjoyed reading this with my son. I feel perhaps that there was too many themes brought into the one story, and perhaps they all resolved themselves a little quickly - such as in Ceclia's family, or in
Pam
Nov 10, 2020 rated it it was ok
I received an electronic ARC from BooksGoSocial through NetGalley.
The premise of exploring a fantasy world in dreams is not new. The Dreamland Murdoch creates is a delightful place that appears to come from children's imaginations. The characters were one-dimensional. The stereotyping was a bit much as each child was introduced and interacted with the others. Some of the language used, ex. broken home, perpetuates stereotypes that harm many. The ending was expected as everyone suddenly got along
Danielle
Oct 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
How sweet! This is a charming middle-grade story that kids are sure to enjoy. Perfect for a read-aloud bedtime story, or for independent reading. Many thanks to BooksGoSocial and NetGalley for the advance copy.
Kellen Green
Jan 03, 2021 rated it liked it
This story surprised me a lot! I was looking for some fantastical tale for the little ones and stumbled upon this heart breaking still wholesome story.

We follow the lives of two little kids (a boy and a girl) that have discovered they can visit the realm of dreams and become whatever creature they want, who would not enjoy that!

Still such adventure turns grimm when they meet two unlikely characters, a unicorn with a broken horn (well more than that actually) and a black wolf-like panther that w
Anneke
Nov 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley-read
Book Review: The Broken Unicorn - A unicorn and a dog meet Eric and Enya (Dreamland Adventures)
Author: Jim Murdoch
Publisher: BooksGoSocial
Publication Date: September 1, 2020
Review Date: November 11, 2020

From the blurb:
“In their imaginary Dreamland Eric and Enya meet a new creature, who is very sad and very broken.

Then there is the mysterious and vicious black dog. Does that have a connection
Melina Lobo
Oct 31, 2020
Nicki
Nov 07, 2020
Meghan
Jan 12, 2021
Anna
Nov 15, 2020

• The Thursday Murder Club (Thursday Murder Club, #1)
  • The Death of Vivek Oji
  • The Tenth Chamber
  • Hood Feminism: Notes from the Women That a Movement Forgot
  • The Last Fallen Star (Gifted Clans #1)
  • A Cold Dark Place (Cold Justice, #1)
  • The Ledger and the Chain: How Domestic Slave Traders Shaped America
  • Skeletal (Christchurch Crime, #2)
  • Life on Repeat (The Sarah Sagas)
  • Fish-Boy
  • Pixie Me Up (Newborn Pixie Cozy Mystery, #1)
  • For Beautiful Black Boys Who Believe in a Better World
  • Yoga Pant Nation (Class Mom, #3)
  • Ariel Bradley, Spy for General Washington
  • You Had Me at Hola
  • Cold Hearted (Villains, #8)
  • Dearly
  • My Special Kitty: A Children's Story (2nd Edition January 2021)
From Belfast, Northern Ireland, Jim Murdoch faced a paradigm shift which gave him a new world view. He views everything and everyone being connected. A path of self development studies followed where he delved into many subjects including metaphysics and, yes, dragons. With his wife, Katharina, he co-authored their self-help story Wings of Change. This got him thinking about writing fiction instea ...more

Dreamland Adventures (2 books)
  • Dragon Boy (Dreamland Adventures #1)

News & Interviews

There's something so special about each class of debut YA authors; after all, young adult fiction is all about the hopefulness of new...