Start by marking “Second Chance Fate (Second Chance Academy, #1)” as Want to Read:
Second Chance Fate (Second Chance Academy, #1)

Second Chance Fate

(Second Chance Academy #1)

"My name is Amber Whitman, and I’m seventeen years old. After a fatal accident last month, the government decided my magic is too dangerous to be around normal people.

So where does that leave me? At the Second Chance Academy, with three moody men, one grumpy cat, and a life sentence for murder.

But things are not as they seem. My survival may depend on learning quickly who
Kindle Edition
Published October 30th 2020

To ask other readers questions about Second Chance Fate, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Second Chance Fate

Start your review of Second Chance Fate (Second Chance Academy, #1)
Darce
Free copy provided in exchange for an honest review. This in no way changes my rating or review.

3.5 mildly irritated (but also mildly intrigued) stars!

Second Chance Fate was…. something. It started off well, a promising beginning involving a lightning storm and a subsequent (polite) kidnapping, followed by a magical school, always a pro. Our MC was easy to relate to and reasonably humourous, and I enjoyed hearing about the interesting world the novel was set in, ripe with magic and polyamourou
Annette
When I saw this book and read the blurb I was immediately interested! Slow burns are quite rare in the reverse harem world and usually imply that there is a nice plot to keep the main characters from moving too fast. I also really liked the idea of accidental magic and the government trying to control a girl who's potentially dangerous to society. And when I started reading this morning it all looked very promising.

The first one third of the book worked for me. We saw how Amber lost control of h
Lasairiona McMaster
I'll preface this by saying this isn't my usual genre to read, but I was curious and was offered an ARC copy with no expectation of a review in return and I feel I need to write one.

I loved this book and I can't wait for the next one in the series. From the very first page I was dragged through the book whether I wanted to be or not. I was supposed to accomplish things today - but that didn't happen. I shirked my responsibilities and binge read this book til it was finished.

I love how Ella's R
Emily Pennington
Jul 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
Amber Whitman for the first time just walked right out of school. Her head was aching, the light making it worse, as she walked straight toward home to climb under the bedcovers. A tree exploded next to her, she smelled ozone on her skin, lightning was striking all around her! It was getting hard to breathe. As she got ready to run for shelter, she heard a pitiful meow. She couldn’t leave the cat out here, so she picked him up and ran. The further away she got, the better the weather until the b ...more
Dawn Milligan
Aug 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good read! This is book one of a new series it's well written and has good characters I'm excited to see what happens next!
Ellen
Oct 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Amber is a high school student. After an unusual lightning storm occurs with her in the middle, the sherriff and some strangers arrive at her home to take her away as part of the Prevention of Magical Accidents Act.
Pulled away from all she knows and thrust into a special school, a second chance school, to learn about her magical abilities, this is her story.
Like any other high schooler coming in to a new school during the semester causes stress. Add to that her unknown status in magic arms bein
Denise
Jul 20, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this book about a teenage girl who suddenly finds herself thrust into a school, or prison, because of her accidental magic. There was some kind of explosion of a magical reactor and now random people, mostly young people, are suddenly imbued with magical powers. Unfortunately, Amber caused a lightning storm which killed several people and she is considered to dangerous to be out in the general population - so it is Second Chance Academy or a deep, dark hole.

Life at a school of magical st
Ella Smyth
Aug 21, 2020 is currently reading it  ·  (Review from the author)
Second Chance Fate will be released on October 30th 2020!

You can purchase it here for 99c for the first 24 hours after which the price will go up. One week after release, the book will be available through Kindle Unlimited.

Teaser:

"Can't make up your mind?"
I whirled around, feeling guilty at having been caught. Beth grinned as my ears turned hot.
"You know, it's quite common among magic-born to have three—"
“Three boyfriends, I know. And good thing, too, because I wouldn't be able to choose betwee
Lynne Davison
Oct 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book gripped me from the first line, I did not put it down till the final full stop.

As an aphantasic individual, I am incapable of visualising the descriptions of the magic and environment etc. but the writing made me empathise with Amber felt - her fear, confusion, anger, anguish, joy, humour and affection.

No spoilers but the plot was gripping - who should Amber trust? This is something she comes to recognise towards the end of book 1.

Amber makes friends and begins relationships, she's con
Rickie
Jul 25, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What a difference a day makes in the life of a teenage girl? Amber has no idea that her world will be turned upside down after a thunder storm. Soon enough she learns she was the storm. Dangerously magical you say, and before she knows it she is caught up and sentenced to a magical prison. There is plenty of teenage angst, intrigue, and betrayal with the story branching off in several directions. Though sometimes confusing it was a great read letting you know that there is more to come. Without ...more
MN Book Girl
Sep 18, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Magic is all around, sometimes you’re born with it and for some, a freak accident made them that way.

This is the case for Amber. And her main focus for power is lightning. But when her powers come to be, she is whisked off to the Second Chance Academy. And her she makes a new friend in her roommate and ends up in a triad. Only to find a plot against her to get her powers. And that her parents disowned her.

Amber and her men get what could be described as a happy for now ending. To be honest, the
Janice Drake
Jul 26, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good book for YA and those who like people finding their place in the world. My favorite character was Slug!

Douglas Williamson
Our heroine discovers she has magic in the most unfortunate of ways and nobody seems to be very supportive. Off to the academy for her!

This is book one of a new paranormal series. The book has sort of a jail/academy setting as well as something of a reverse harem theme going on. The story is well written and easy to read and the setting is well done (and frankly a bit creepy to me). The characters also have a nice bit of depth to them and I hope to see more of that in the future books. Oddly eno
Margarita Rose
Jul 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a great story about a girl who is magical but doesn't know it. She only finds out after the death of others. She is sentenced to Second Chance Academy until she gets training in controlling her power. Things are not all well at the academy. Someone is out to hurt her and steal her power. She is deceived by someone she foolishly trusts. She has romance and falls in love. Who does she choose or does she choose anyone? Who is behind what is happening at the academy? I laughed and I cried wi ...more
Kim Cobb
Aug 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amber is a young lady who discovers she has magic by accident. This is caused by a nuclear accident's fallout. Because of what happens, they send Amber to an academy for her to learn how to control magic and be with young people like her. Amber meets Beth, one of her roommates, Julian, a young man who has been at the school for quite a while, and Kieran, a young man born with magic. What will happen to Amber? Will her family care about what happened to her? How will she get along with Julian and ...more
Etta
Nov 23, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: giveaways
Second Chance Fate is a story if X-men takes place in a more traditional high school setting. Our main character, Amber Whitman, is our Rogue, where one day her powers are discovered and she is taken to an academy for other gifted individuals. She is different than those around her, but she is special and is continued to be told this (just like Rogue following the X-men film series). Over time, she has to work at not only finding out the types of powers that she possesses but also how to con ...more
Donna Zetts
Jul 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really did like reading this book. Had a great story line, very well written backgrounds. I cant wait for the next one to come out
Natasha
Oct 16, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: rh
Go read Slug’s story in Hellcats Anthology!

This was a first time read from this Author and a decent story. The world building was good as was the foundation of the story and establishing relationships of the characters. Whilst this is the first of a series and the ending leaves it open for the rest of the series, it ended on a satisfactory conclusion, which was a very nice change.

This is a story about a girl who all of sudden has very powerful elemental abilities and gets sent to a magical sch
CK
Nov 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
This YA Paranormal romance brings a well thought-out magic system into an otherwise recognisable world.

There are born magic users, usually established old bloodlines; & new “magic conduits”, people who become magical after what is effectively a natural disaster. The two groups are trained together in Oregon, USA, at a university nicknamed “Second Chance Academy”.
Voilà, an avenue for bigotry to be explored without involving race.

Characters of colour?

No named characters have so much as a hit of na
A M Aliano
Nov 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Amber was an ordinary teenager until the day she killed three people. Unbeknown to her, a magical reactor explosion nearby created magical abilities in her, amongst a number of others. Her power of using lightning manifested itself one day when she left school early due to a migraine. While walking home, she got caught up in a lightning storm. She couldn’t seem to get out of it, however; when the lightning paused, her headache was gone. But, it started up again. After rescuing a pitiful stray st ...more
Emily Slack
Oct 26, 2020 rated it liked it
I received an ARC of this book by BookSirens in exchange for my fair and honest review.

I've read a few reverse harem books in the YA genre before so I had an idea of what to expect with this one. I enjoyed this book, although the actual romance in the book is minimal, I believe it is more of a lead in to the next book of the series. In terms of romance at least. I did like the plot points of this book, especially the idea that magical people had existed before the seldom mentioned fallout event.
Dora
Nov 07, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Considered a freak, restricted from her freedom and sent to a strange magical facility, Amber Whitman knew that her life has totally changed. With her extraordinary powers she must learn to control them or else her life will be at stake. But she is not the only one in this situation and fear was rearing its ugly face. Something sinister was cooking and threatening them all. Entertaining how Amber interacts with the other characters and the cat. Interesting the experiments, the school environment ...more
CanditheBookworm
Nov 10, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well-written, interesting characters, and decent world building. Humorous at points and also some naivety with the MC, but she has been thrust into a total new way of life so I’m not annoyed with the naivety yet.

The storyline keeps you interested and doesn’t drag. Learning her abilities especially since she’s unique is happening at a logical pace.

Looking forward to Book 2 to see where the developing slow burn romance leads and seeing her grow with her magic to determine what she’s capable of.
Michelle
Aug 03, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lacie Jones
Sep 16, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was expertly written. Congratulations to the author for a beautiful piece that not only drew me in slowly, seducing me to come back to it but also left me feeling filled to the brim with warmth. Amber is unapologetically herself and by being that way she stays true to who she wants to be and those closest to her can see what a beautiful soul she possesses even Slug. Slug is a unique take on a character that is such a a large part of who Amber is. The boys are beautifully damaged in eac ...more
Witch-at-Heart
Jul 27, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I found this book to be very interesting because it revolves around accidental magic caused by the explosion of a magical reactor and it imbued some people exposed with magical powers. The MC Amber is considered to dangerous for the general population because she can not control her new ability so she is sent to an academy/prison to learn how to use her powers.
The the book has some twists and turns and a bit of romance. overall not a bad beginning.

I received this book from Booksprout for an hone
Shweta
Aug 12, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Though this book does rate a 5 star rating, I've purposely given it a 4 star rating. The reason is simple, what was the blowout that happened which gave magical capabilities to normal regular non-magical humans? There is no explanation to this?

Not even a paragraph of why, what, when...apart from that this is a good book and a good series starter, the best part was that the way the plot has been laid, there is a lot of scope for the plot to be built & created.

I received a free copy of this book v
Billie
Jul 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a great start to a new series.
Wonderful well written plot and story line that had me engaged from the start.
Love the well fleshed out characters and found them believeable.
Very sexy romance with humor and action mixed with wonderful world building.
Can't wait to read what the author brings out next.
Recommend reading.

Stephanie
Jul 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amber finds out she has magical abilities and is sent off to a supernatural academy. While there she finds that it is hard to figure out who to trust. This book had excellent character and world building. Ella finds the right note to keep you rapt and turning the next page to see what is going to happen. I enjoyed reading this book. I was given a free copy of this book at my request and this is my honest review.
Scarolet Ellis
Aug 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Second Chance Fate by Ella J. Smyth is an awesome story that I have had the privilege to read and review. This is book number one in this awesome start to a brand new series that I have loved reading and can not wait to read the rest of this awesome series. I highly recommend this story to everyone who loves reading about reverse harem, magic, fantasy and paranormal romance.

• Thorn Boys: A Fae Reverse Harem Romance (Prisoners of the Fae Book 1)
  • The Scythe's Secrets (Tessa Randolph #2)
  • Captured for the Alien Bride Lottery (Khanavai Warrior Bride Games, #2)
  • Ink (Some Like It Haunted Collection, #1)
  • Wicked Souls
  • A Crown of Blood and Bone (The Shadow Walkers Saga, #1)
  • Calypso's Heart (Orion's Order #1)
  • Once Upon a Fairy Tale Night: A Collection of Retellings
  • Ashes on the Earth (Stones of Fire, #1)
  • Crushed: A Dark Billionaire Romance (The Dahlia District, #3)
  • Peace Talks (The Dresden Files, #16)
  • The Billionaire's Secret (Big Bad Billionaires, #2)
  • Mages Unbound (Fifth Mage War #2)
  • Other London (Uncanny Kingdom)
  • Halloween Hearts: A Halloween Collection of Fantasy, Urban Fantasy, and Paranormal Romance
  • Year Two: Rebels (Grim Reaper Academy Legacies #2)
  • The Sectarian (Demon Hunter, #5)
  • Lakeshore Fae Academy: Dark Fae Academy Reverse Harem Bully Romance
Ella J. Smyth writes steamy reverse harem urban fantasy romance, full of adventure and excitement.

Ever since she discovered #loveislove and #whychoose, she has embraced her motto “Unapologetic romances because love needs no excuses.”

She guarantees a happy ending, even though she puts her characters through hell to get there.

VISIT MY AMAZON AUTHOR PAGE!

Second Chance Academy (3 books)
  • Second Chance Soul (Second Chance Academy, #2)
  • Second Chance Hope (Second Chance Academy, #3)

News & Interviews