Start by marking “Educational Research: Planning, Conducting, and Evaluating Quantitative and Qualitative Research” as Want to Read:

3.56  ·  Rating details ·  232 Ratings  ·  17 Reviews
The only introduction to offer balanced, inclusive, integrated treatment of educational research, this text comprehensively addresses both quantitative and qualitative approaches, with the goal of starting students on the path to doing their own research as well as evaluating the research of others. After an overview of the nature of educational research and specific quali ...more
Published July 1st 2004 by Prentice Hall (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Educational Research, please sign up.

Recent Questions

This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Teniell
Jan 14, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-higher-ed
This book provides a good introduction to the basic principles of educational research.

I purchased the 2nd edition of this book (for $35), and chose not to purchase the 4th edition (available for $125). In comparing the 2nd and 4th editions, they are almost identical - only the examples at the end of each chapter have really changed. My suggestion: save yourself $90 and buy an older edition!
Malte
Aug 03, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the book on traditional research design. You get the feeling that John Creswell is paid by the letter, but despite all the extra and unnecessary words it is a really good textbook to get all the basics...
Olgy
Oct 29, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: doctoral-studies
I am currently taking a "Research Design and Analysis" course as part of my doctoral studies, and I've literally devoured every single word in Creswell's book. I've also shown it to faculty at various graduate schools and to recent Ph.D. graduates and they just about salivate over Creswell's 4th edition of "Educational Research: Planning, Conducting, and Evaluating Quantitative and Qualitative Research" book. The answer I often receive is that they wish this 4th edition had been around when they ...more
Randie D. Camp, M.S.
I have learned a great deal about educational research throughout the process of studying this text for my graduate course. I knew there were different types of research prior to reading this book but I did not know the terms “quantitative” and “qualitative.” Now, I know the terms and have a solid understanding about the theories, processes, purposes, benefits, and limitations of both quantitative and qualitative research. This textbook really opened my eyes to the amount of planning, effort, an ...more
Louise Droz
So, I made my way through this one as a required reading assignment. As textbooks go, this one made sense and was organized in a predictable manner. Thank you for that. I liked the idea that each chapter followed the same format. I do have to add that I still do not understand why this book was so expensive. Why is it that we must use the current edition for a subject that does not change significantly from year to year?
J-Lynn
Oct 08, 2007 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Students and teachers that are beginning researchers
I both hate and love this book. I would have been lost throughout most of my Introduction to Education Research class if not for this book, but I also felt lost most of the time as I read this book. The book is dense and written for novice researchers. It provides the foundation necessary to understand both Quantitative and Qualitative research.
Joe
Jun 22, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I would go so far as to say I liked this book, but it was decently written so a doofus like me could read it. It will (gulp) become a valuable reference in the future.
Zameer Ahmed
May 10, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Some things cannot be learned alone by personal experience
Heather Bennett
A clear well written text book. Easy to follow and understand with good examples.
Sue R.
Feb 14, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Learning a great deal but not fun readying :)
  • 21st Century Skills: Learning for Life in Our Times
  • The World Is Open: How Web Technology Is Revolutionizing Education
  • 21st Century Skills: Rethinking How Students Learn
  • Doing a Literature Review: Releasing the Social Science Research Imagination
  • Rethinking Homework: Best Practices That Support Diverse Needs
  • Leading Change in Your School: How to Conquer Myths, Build Commitment, and Get Results
  • Constructing Grounded Theory: A Practical Guide Through Qualitative Analysis
  • Guy-Write: What Every Guy Writer Needs to Know
  • Hanging Out, Messing Around, and Geeking Out: Kids Living and Learning With New Media
  • Comprehension & Collaboration: Inquiry Circles in Action
  • 100 Best Books for Children

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »