Start by marking “Midwinter Murder: Fireside Mysteries from the Queen of Crime” as Want to Read:
Midwinter Murder: Fireside Mysteries from the Queen of Crime

Midwinter Murder: Fireside Mysteries from the Queen of Crime

An all-new collection of winter-themed stories from the Queen of Mystery, just in time for the holidays—including an Agatha Christie short story never before published in the USA, "Christmas Adventure."

“Reading a perfectly plotted Agatha Christie is like crunching into a perfect apple: that pure, crisp, absolute satisfaction.”—Tana French, New York Times Bestselling Author
Published October 1st 2020

To ask other readers questions about Midwinter Murder, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Midwinter Murder

Start your review of Midwinter Murder: Fireside Mysteries from the Queen of Crime
Amalia Gkavea
‘’It was nearly dark. The house felt suddenly very quiet and empty. It was a lonely house, two miles from a village, two miles, as Molly put it, from anywhere. She had often been alone in the house before - but she had never before been so conscious of being alone in it.’’

Welcome to the wintry world of crime and mystery.

‘’The snow beat in a soft flurry against the window - panes. It made a whispery, uneasy sound.’’

Three Blind Mice : Utterly brilliant! The well-known Christie technique
Vikas Singh
Delightful collection of twelve stories of mystery and suspense

Though titled Murder not all the stories deal with murder. Five Poirot exploits include the only case where he was successfully deceived and the case which he described “perfect murder”. The two Mr. Quinn stories have the eerie and paranormal feel. The solo Tommy and Tuppence adventure add a bit of light hearted fun to the collection. The two Miss Marple stories do not fail to bring a smile to the lips as you marvel how an old frail
Bill Lynas
Nov 11, 2020 rated it liked it
Midwinter Murder is a new collection of old stories from the Queen of Crime, loosely based around a winter theme.
Some of the stories are almost 100 years old, but still manage to entertain. It's light, fluffy & easy on the brain. A pleasant antidote to these troubled times.
exploraDora
***2,5 stars***

Midwinter Murder: Fireside Tales from the Queen of Mystery is a collection of 12 old short stories, all (loosely) happening in winter. Some are more entertaining than others, but altogether none of them delivered anything special to the mystery genre.

Because I am an Agatha Christie newbie and I am only familiar with Poirot, I pretty much only enjoyed the four stories he appeared in. For or die-hard fans, reading about all these other, (some) lesser known detectives could be exciti
Sara
2.5 stars.

Although I liked the Tuppence and Tommy short story, and the first couple of Poirot's, this didn't really give me anything outstanding or new to the mystery genre. And although it professes to be about specifically Midwinter related stories, they honestly could have been set during any season. Being short stories, they also just feel that little bit too lacking in depth and substance. There's no build up or atmosphere, preferring to rely on sharp reveals and lacklustre endings.
Javier
Jun 21, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Midwinter Murder" is a collection of winter themed short stories by Agatha Christie. In case you don't know it, Agatha Christie is one of my favorite authors ever and the one responsible for my love of reading nowadays. I think I've read practically all of her novels, but not her short stories cause I tend to be disappointed with short stories on a general basis. And that was the case here too.

Here we have stories for everyone, starring all her main characters (Poirot, Miss Marple, Tommy and Tu
NILTON TEIXEIRA
Feb 10, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-5-stars
This is a clever new compilation!
Quite entertaining.
It presents Hercule Poirot, Miss Marple, Tommy & Tuppence and Mr. Parker Pyne.
Such a great selection of short stories that makes me want to re-read all of the books, especially the ones with Tommy & Tuppence.
NAT.orious reads ☾
Dec 15, 2020 marked it as dnf-and-no-nos  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: book-clubbing
Alright, I'm discontinuing this. It was not grabbing me at all and I've got enough other books that have a higher chance of bringing me joy.

I'd love to say this is an "It's not you, it's me" case. But it really isn't.
Tanya
Jun 17, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: advance-copy
I still consider myself an Agatha Christie novice, but since I read the autumn-themed collection released last year, I couldn't pass up this new, winter-themed one—although it was rather weird to be reading this during the scorching summer we've been having!

The two big favorites, Poirot and Marple, make repeat appearances, but so do some of the lesser-known Christie detectives, such as Tommy and Tuppence, Mr. Quin, and Parker Pyne, all of whom I wasn't familiar with before reading these stories.
TS Chan
Dec 30, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics
3.5 stars.

A rather eclectic collection of short stories, which despite what the title said, were not all about murders. Some of the stories were good, and some just okay. I do liked the one starring Tommy and Tuppence quite a bit, which made me want to read their books as I liked the dynamics between the two of them. The best of the lot for me was the first and the longest story, Three Blind Mice, which I believe was the source material for the longest running play in the history of London's Wes
Razor
The Mystery Of Hunters Lodge: 3🌟s
The World's End: 2.5🌟s
The Manhood Of Edward Robinson: 4.5🌟s
Christmas Adventure: 4🌟s

exceptional short story collection❤❤!
Pretty Bibliophile
Thanks so much to HarperCollins India for sending me this cozy and wonderful book!
Agatha Christie books have been a part of my childhood. Among the various treasures I have inherited from my mother's side of the family, I have to admit that the humongous book collection is the one I value the most. And a major portion of this collection is made up of many AC books that made my mom and aunts' childhoods much more awesome!
And so it is no wonder that I fell in love with Christie's writing. There is
Mrs B
Dec 11, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Evelyn Jane Thorne
Midwinter Murder features winter themed short stories by Agatha Christie. Some of Christie’s most popular characters such as Pirot and Miss Marple make appearances throughout the stories.

This is the first book by Christie which have read although I have seen several of the television shows based on her characters. I thought that the stories were interesting and I enjoyed the whodunit mystery. I also liked the introduction from Christie which recalled a memory of a time that she spent Christmas
Les Wilson
Oct 18, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Although I’d read the stories before it did not inhibit my enjoyment in reading them again. Still the queen of crime writers.
Shelley Lawrence
I absolutely loved these short mysteries, all set in winter, by the Queen of Mystery, Agatha Christie. Midwinter Murders: Fireside Tales from the Queen of Mystery, is a collection of varied, short storied mysteries ranging in length, crime, tone and detectives. They are cozy and charming snd easily read individually as time allows, or collectively as a longer mystery anthology of sorts. They are festive, easily understandable and enjoyably entertaining. I highly recommend if you are a classic my ...more
Tess Liebregts
Dec 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What can I say? A masterpiece by the queen of crime. What else do you want? It's perfectly cosy and lovely, even though some people get murdered. Honestly, how does she do it? She thinks up the most intricate crimes and odd mysteries. ...more
Sheila Howes
Jan 02, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Note: These are in order I read them, not in the order they appear in the book.

1) Christmas Adventure - A Poirot story. Very seasonal and entertaining.
2) A Christmas Tragedy - Not particularly festive - only one mention of Christmas shopping. A Miss Marple tale.
3) The Chocolate Box - A Poirot story of his one and only failure.
4) The Coming of Mr Quin - A cold case discussed on New Year's Eve.
5) The Mystery of the Baghdad Chest - A dead man in a chest. Poirot investigates.
6) The Clergyman's Daugh
jennyreadit
A collection of Agatha Christie’s short stories that take place during Christmas or in deep winter. A good way for newbies to meet Hercule Poirot, Miss Marple, Tommy and Tuppence and Mrs. Christie’s undeniable genius. I prefer Miss Marple to Poirot, but since these are short stories, one can get to know the characters a bit better. Readers will recognize Three Blind Mice as being the basis for many present day best seller plot lines.
Reethu Ravi
Jan 24, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's been years since I last read Agatha Christie and I couldn't have picked a better book to get back to her works. Midwinter Murder is a collection of seasonal short stories by Christie and features some of her most famous detectives - Hercule Poirot and Miss Marple.

From poisoned meals, mysterious guests, to "perfect" murders, these stories feature all the nuances of a classic Christie novel. Almost all of these stories were unpredictable and came with the page-turner moments I love about the
Ivonne Rovira
Feb 28, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Despite the title, the majority of the short stories in this Agatha Christie collection deal do not deal with murder, and, in several of them, you hardly notice they’re set in winter at all. But, except for the somewhat predictable Walter Mitty-esque “The Manhood of Edward Robinson” and the also predictable “Problem at Pollensa Bay,” they’re all gems. (I normally love the character Parker Pine, but not in “Problem at Pollensa Bay.”)

I particularly loved Hercule Poirot in “Christmas Adventure,” wh
Dave
Jan 16, 2021 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: to-read-in-2021
Pleasant enough collection of Christie stories, though to place them all at midwinter is pushing it. Only a handful really have anything to do with winter or Christmas or anything like it. Best story is the Miss Marple “Sanctuary,” set in November.

It’s too bad that the “never-before-published-in-the-U.S.” story is a shortened version of the far-superior “Adventure of the Christmas Pudding.” The worst story, in my mind, is the novella version of The Mousetrap, “Three Blind Mice,” which is so mec
Helen
Jan 04, 2021 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sigh..... my book reading in 2021 seems to be off to a three star start. Hercule Poirot is my favorite detective, hands down. I love reading his stories and watching the adaptations. I enjoy Ms. Marple mysteries to a degree but she is not my absolute favorite. Therefore, a short story collection of Agatha Christie mysteries seemed right up my alley. Sadly, it wasn't. I was there for the two Hercule Poirot short stories and even enjoyed the Miss Marple ones. The majority of the stories did not fe ...more
Maria
Jan 03, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really enjoyed this collection of short mystery stories, perfect for curling up with on a cold winter day. And, with me having read so little Agatha Christie before, it was nice coming across some recurring characters in the stories - not only her famous detectives, but also one or two non-detective characters as well.
Alix
Dec 12, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Bow down to the queen!

There’s honestly nothing better than reading some cozy mysteries in front of a fire. Okay it was the Netflix fire, but same difference.

This is a book of short stories and they’re all set in and around London!

So some of the stories revolve around her famous detective Hercule Poirot and some don’t. It’s a nice mix.

Plot: you can tell these stories were written in post war Brittain. But they entertain and I found myself trying to figure out whodunit before the big reveal.

Mash-
CaseyTheCanadianLesbrarian
I really liked some of these stories, but others failed to capture my attention. The first one was my favourite, I think. And I always love to see Miss Marple (Hercule Poirot, not so much).
John
Feb 25, 2021 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
"Some of these short stories were quite good and fun to read. Others, not so much. It's a very nice book though, and I'm glad to have it in my collection. Thanks, Kelsey. I know you're reading this. Also your socks don't match.

Ha ha, made you look."
Susan
Dec 16, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Winter, murder, Agatha Christie! What's not to like?
Jaclyn
Jan 06, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Agatha Christie is always such a fun treat, this collection of stories is no exception. Hercule Poirot and Miss Marple make an appearance as well. I love the clever mind of Christie, I can see why her stories are still around and still popular.
Anastasia
Love Agatha Christie but these stories are from her other books and don't really fit together in this collection. ...more

• Before the Coffee Gets Cold (Before the Coffee Gets Cold #1)
  • Chosen Ones (The Chosen Ones, #1)
  • Party of Two (The Wedding Date, #5)
  • Meaty
  • The Getaway
  • Devolution: A Firsthand Account of the Rainier Sasquatch Massacre
  • Boyfriend Material
  • The Island
  • The Heir Affair (Royal We, #2)
  • The Text
  • The Heirs of Locksley (The Robin Hood Stories, #2)
  • The Ghosts of Sherwood (The Robin Hood Stories, #1)
  • Anxious People

Agatha Christie is the best-selling author of all time. She wrote 66 crime novels and story collections, fourteen plays, and six novels under a pseudonym in Romance. Her books have sold over a billion copies in the English language and a billion in t