Start by marking “The Duke and the Wallflower (The Unwanted Dukes Book 1)” as Want to Read:
The Duke and the Wallflower (The Unwanted Dukes Book 1)

The Duke and the Wallflower

(The Unwanted Dukes #1)

Shunned by a society that puts attractiveness above all else, Lady Eliza Darby’s wallflower status keeps her from getting the one thing she wants most, namely, to be a mother. But when her scorned older sister returns home to see all of her sisters wed in happy matches, it may be Eliza’s only chance to secure a husband and have the children she so desires.

Jilted in a publi
Published August 27th 2020 by Someday Lady Publishing, LLC

To ask other readers questions about The Duke and the Wallflower, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Duke and the Wallflower

Start your review of The Duke and the Wallflower (The Unwanted Dukes Book 1)
Luana
Sep 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
What a lovely story. I really enjoyed this reading. I couldn't put my book down...
So, the Duke choose the ugly wallflower in hopes that her appearance would help him in not fall in love with her... ofc he realizes quite soon that appearances has nothing to do with love... it was heartbreaking to see her insecurities but also very nice to see her showing how truly amazing she is. And I absolutely loved that we have a third party in this story as important as the couple. Henry was just so cute 💕
BJ
Oct 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: loved-it
I love this book about an H humiliated by his childhood love, and a heroine who has been made painfully aware that she's viewed as ugly. It's a harsh introduction to society when she's one of a family of beauties. He proposed to her because he won't love her, she accepted because she wanted a family of her own. This wounded couple have to work together, sadly he made some terrible mistakes. The heroine is the hero in this story, brave and clever. I especially liked epilogues, one of the best eve ...more
Topastro
Oh my what a wonderful read this was. I really felt for Eliza. My heart hurt for her at times but her kindness and resilience truly made her a stand out. My only wish was that I needed more groveling from Dax. I want to read more from this author but browsing through her other books nothing really stood out.
Debby
The Duke and the Wallflower by Jessie Clever is a first time read by this reader of this author. I thought the story was wonderfully written and I truly enjoyed every bit of it. I also liked the transition of Eliza's character and how the author showed her development from a spinsterish personality to a confident take charge Duchess. Puts you in the mind of an ugly duckling turning into a beautiful swan...on the inside. I also loved the hero, Dax who saw the heroines inner beauty with a little c ...more
Leena Aluru
Oct 25, 2020 rated it really liked it
4.5 🌟 actually.

I loved it. Such a sweet romance, it brought a smile 🙂. Both Dax and Eliza are absolutely fabulous ❤. Kisses and hugs to Henry Eliza's collie 💕💕

I would have loved it more if Eliza 's sister Viv's failed marriage would have gotten solved too. Looking forward to a book on this.

Definitely a one time read.

Recommended : 👍
Mephala
I picked this book in spur of the moment. Never hearing about Jessie Clever and her stories before, I didn’t really know what to expect about The Duke and The Wallflower . Maybe only that it’d (hopefully) be a angst filled, ugly duckling themed story.

And it was that, but also quite light with fun and witty banter, and characters that were so lovely soft with each other.

The thing that glued me to this book was Eliza; I know strong and confident heroines might be more popular in romances, but
Tanya Sridhar
3/5 stars for me.

Predictable title and a predictable plotline. I wasn't expecting anything out of the ordinary, I got exactly what I bargained for.

A sweet, short story about a spinster/wallflower who never thought she'd get to have a handsome husband, let alone a Duke, finally finding her happily ever after. The duke in question isn't exactly the best, nor the worst let's be honest. I appreciate the lack of melodrama and theatrics and enjoyed the book.

The trope of ex-lover who betrayed the he
Ramsiya
4.5 Star

I deducted 1/2 star because the last part was could have done without the Drama..

All over it was a good, i was craving for some angst,heart-ache stories.. This one checked all my wish list.
Waiting for the rest of sister and Andrew's story

My only issues is that how may Dukes where in England actually?
In almost all HR we got Duke. There was no Normal person lived in England in that Era?

As reader we do love some HR where Hero is not a member of Ton, and heroin is not a noble birth

Viv “BookVixen” Gutierrez
Delightful and swoony

This was an incredible read! Fast, steamy and filled with emotion between two characters desperate for love and belonging but too wary and hurt to trust it.

Dax has been wounded and his heart left scarred by a betrayal as a young man. Eliza has been scarred by the scorn and disparaging remarks of the ton, her lack of looks inviting cruel comments.

And when these two are United, all their plans and expectations are blown to bits as their hearts recognize the other as soulmate
Karen Janet
Oct 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
I could not give 5 stars because H broke his vows TWO times and the excuses said there were absurd and hypocrite.
Tarona
This is the first book I've read by this author and I have to say it's been a pleasant surprise.

I rarely try out new authors without reading reviews or recommendations but I've had a hankering for a historical romance for awhile now  and when I came across this I didn't hesitate to snatch it up...

The Duke and the Wallflower is the story of the Duke of Ashbourne, Daxton Kane and Lady Eliza Darby. He's on the hunt for an unattractive wife and sets his sights on Eliza and she believes she will nev
Kitcatscratch
Oct 17, 2020 rated it did not like it
Shelves: dnf
A dnf for me. An ok book but I decided almost halfway in that I couldn't continue. Let's call a spade a spade. The H point blank states he will find the ugliest girl he could and marry her. His flawed thinking being that he couldn't love someone he's not attracted to. His friend rightly informs him he's confusing love with physical attraction. He finds said ugly chick and within one dance there flares a deep attraction. I just couldn't be sold. The H seemed a nice guy so maybe there were layers ...more
Elizabeth
3.5. It was a great concept, with an actual genuinely unattractive heroine. The female antagonist was too weak though, and there were too many misunderstandings. I would have rather had more time with the hero and heroine getting to know each other.
_bookish_book_
Sep 30, 2020 rated it liked it
Honestly, I thought that "The Duke and the Wallflower" was a debuting novel of Jessie Clever. Imagine my shock when I discovered otherwise.

It does feel like a debut. Sometimes you have this feeling that the story/author could give you more. For me definitely something was missing, felt a little bit rushed. I would love to have it 100 pages longer and make it more "slowly burn"!

And one thing which actually was driving me crazy was the contradiction of chapters, in one chapter the Duke is behavin
Susan
Nov 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
First time reading this author’s work. Absolutely loved it! Looking forward to book 2.
Linda Logsdon
Sep 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Oh. Be still my heart! What a beautiful story!

This one absolutely caught my heart. I was drawn into this story immediately and tell in love with the characters. How many of us have felt inadequate when surrounded with beautiful women? And then, the most handsome and interesting man enters and actually picks you as his partner? How could this be? And how could this man feel so defensive when he really needed love? A MUST read!
eevee
Eliza is ugly. She’s resigned herself to becoming a spinster, but then her elder sibling becomes passionate about getting Eliza married. When Dax offers for her, she finally feels like maybe she can get the family she’s always dreamed of. But it seems like Dax’s heart belongs to another...

I didn’t really like the characters. They aren’t bad, but they just weren’t given enough time as themselves. I feel like we are only supposed to support Eliza because she’s ugly and sad and alone. But there is
☽ Rhiannon ✭ Mistwalker ☾
Could use a touch of editing, but I am happy to overlook that since it hit on so many of my favored tropes!! One small complaint: (view spoiler) ...more
Penelope
Feb 20, 2021 rated it really liked it
nice story about a real plain heroine not just one that needed to change clothes or a hairstyle.

in beginning of book she was hard to warm up to because her actions and comments made her a bit unlikable. there were mentions of their connection and fun times but there were none??? until after they married so idk what all the fluttering and deep feelings was about.

she handled him and all the situations real adeptly and i liked how the final conflict was handled with her at the helm.

he was a sweet
Roslyn Stillman
Sep 23, 2020 rated it really liked it
I have read many of Ms Clevers books and have always enjoyed the spy and adventure side to her stories, so I was a little disappointed to find that is purely a love story. In saying that, this book had a special feeling to it, in that the heroine was not beautiful, but still had a beautiful personality that when discovered by the hero brought this story together wonderfully. It was written with a lot of feeling and is well worth the read. It does have a lot of sex that this reviewer skipped as u ...more
Robin
Jan 05, 2021 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2021
Contains Spoilers

The hero starts developing feelings for her, and is quite attracted to her from their first encounter. The whole point of marrying an unappealing wife was to avoid developing any feelings. So, it doesn’t really makes sense to proceed with the wedding, if he failed at getting what he wanted out this union in the first, right?

So why the fuck does he? I’m just confused here.

It would’ve made much more sense for he him to start developing feelings and falling for her after the go m
Lily
Sep 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
When I say I love reading historical romances I don't mean some epic lovestory about a Jewish girl and a Nazi soldier, or a story where the people go through hardships and need to reconcile with their ideas of humanity or whatever. I want to read a historical romance probably set in Regency England with fancy balls and elegant dresses and a dashing Duke. Maybe through in some betrayal and plenty of steamy scenes and big declarations of love.
This was exactly the type of book I look for.
Da'ad
Ohhh, the beautiful angst! And the beloved characters (and Henry the hound)! So sweet and funny and emotional. This is my first regular het historical in over a decade and I'm glad I read it. Thank you, little sister, for recommending it and telling me why. A straightforward story of a gorgeous wounded Duke falling in love despite himself with an honest-to-a-fault unfortunate looking heroine? Hell yeah, gimme! ...more
Shelby Scott
Sep 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Is beauty so important

To know you are the plain sister, among her beautiful sisters used to hurt really bad, but she accepted that. When a Duke ask her to dance she’s floored, but when he visits her brother to ask for her hand she’s beyond floored! A week later they are wed and so begins heart ache, betrayal, cruel treatment, but best of all true love!
Alvina
Nov 29, 2020 rated it liked it
Tags: ugly duckling, marriage of convenience, emotional infidelity

A straightforward story, simply told. Nothing fancy, no frills. As such, there’s a lack of emotional reality to it too. With how fast the relationship progresses (particularly on the hero’s part), it was hard to get invested.

Nevertheless, it was a well-written, typical marriage of convenience story. Fun for a quick read.
Emily
Jan 23, 2021 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. Yes, some of the details stretch credence (where is this make-believe land that has so many young, handsome, wealthy and kind dukes, all still single?), but I loved Eliza and Dax and found them believable. Also loved Eliza's family. Looking forward to reading more Jessie Clever books. ...more
Bernadette
Jan 30, 2021 rated it really liked it
Healing love

A surprising story about how everything we experience in our lives effects us. Eliza and Dax need to choose whether to deal with those things and become stronger, or limit their potential for a happy life by carrying them. I like how it is the little things that show their love for each other before they think to put it into words.
Rose Bauer
Sep 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful!

As an avid reader of historical romance novels, I enjoyed that this one had some meat on its bones. It wasn't over in a blink like many other books are, there's substance and depth to the story. Wonderful book! I enjoyed reading it!
Romina
Sep 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
First time I read something by this author. And I couldn't put it down until I finished it! Simply loved it, love the characters, the story, everything. Looking forward to more books by Jessie Clever and especially, the next book in this series. ...more
Margaret
Oct 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Looking for the perfect wife.
A Wallflower suddenly finds herself swept off her feet and married to a Duke. She's not expecting love, all she wants is a family. She makes a bargain with her Duke. She gets what she wants, he gets what he wants. He's happy to oblige. He doesn't want to love his wife when he's still caught up in the past. I stayed up all night to finish it. Very emotional with lots of tears. Excellent first book in the series.

• The Beast's Bride (The Bluestocking War, #1)
  • A Governess Should Never... Tempt a Prizefighter (The Governess Chronicles, #1)
  • The Way the Wallflower Wed (The Wallflower Wins, #1)
  • A Substitute Wife for the Prizefighter (Victorian Prizefighter, #2)
  • The Consolation Prize (Brides of Karadok, #3)
  • A Marquess for Miss Marigold (A Wallflower's Wish #3)
  • Married to the Rogue (Season of Scandal, #3)
  • A Rogue in the Making (Forever Yours, #11)
  • The Taming of a Highlander (Midnight in Scotland #2)
  • Always the Wallflower (Never the Bride, #5)
  • The Wallflower's Wicked Wager (The Wallflower Wins Book 2)
  • Queen of My Hart (Headstrong Harts, #2)
  • A Bride for the Prize fighter (Victorian Prizefighter, #1)
  • A Duke's Wild Kiss (Kiss the Wallflower, #5)
  • Winter's Wallflower (The Wicked Winters, #8)
  • Her Wicked Marquess (Sinful Wallflowers, #2)
  • Always the Bluestocking (Never the Bride, #6)
  • The Spinster and the Rake (Never a Wallflower, #1)
Jessie decided to be a writer because the job of Indiana Jones was already filled.

Taking her history degree dangerously, Jessie tells the stories of courageous heroines, the men who dared to love them, and the world that tried to defeat them.

Jessie makes her home in the great state of New Hampshire where she lives with her husband and two very opinionated Basset hounds.

Join Jessie's Readers Club f

The Unwanted Dukes (3 books)
  • The Duke and the Lady (The Unwanted Dukes Book 2)
  • The Duke and the Siren (The Unwanted Dukes, #3)