Start by marking “There's a Hole in My Sidewalk: The Romance of Self-Discovery” as Want to Read:
There's a Hole in My Sidewalk: The Romance of Self-Discovery

There's a Hole in My Sidewalk: The Romance of Self-Discovery

Insightful, humorous, touching, and inspiring are just a few words used to describe this well-loved collection of poems and truisms by the late Portia Nelson. Designed to inspire self discovery, There’s a Hole in My Sidewalk includes stirring poems that gently lead readers to embrace a more authentic self.

Individuals, therapy groups, the self-help community, and twelve-ste
Published March 1st 1994 by Atria Books/Beyond Words (first published January 1st 1988)

To ask other readers questions about There's a Hole in My Sidewalk, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about There's a Hole in My Sidewalk

Start your review of There's a Hole in My Sidewalk: The Romance of Self-Discovery
Isaac
An Autobiography in Five Short Chapters - Portia Nelson

Chapter One
I walk down the street.
There is a deep hole in the sidewalk
I fall in.
I am lost...
I am hopeless.
It isn't my fault.
It takes forever to find a way out.

Chapter Two
There is a deep hole in the sidewalk.
I pretend I don't see it.
I fall in again.
I can't believe I'm in the same place.
But it isn't my fault.
It still takes a long time to get out.

Chapter Three
I walk down the same street.
There is a deep hole in the si
Laine The Librarian
Mar 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
There are so many people who will spend hours trying to read a book about self-discovery...trying to learn more about themselves and how to take control of their life. There are so many times the world will love to see you crash and burn and never rise up again. It is still unknown why the world does this but we humans learn to adapt and try and rise from the ashes like a phoenix and try to be stronger than before.

But we need help, we need guidance and where do people turn to for that? Books. B
Aliza
Nov 18, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This book needs more love. There are some true words of wisdom in here, from a woman who has been around. I think i got it when i was 15. I took it everywhere with me. It's been through everything with me. If it ever turned into a person, it would know my deepest secrets. I have lovingly worn the crap out of it to the point where it barely has a cover now and it's abused with highlighting and pen everywhere. I would always write down my responses to what she said lol As if she was there listenin ...more
Suzanne
Oct 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018-reads
The author skillfully express self awareness in delicate but direct terms. Simple to read, can be taken in short segments. This book doesn't tell you what to do, but rather make you think about who you are. ...more
Cristine
Jul 19, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I really don't know why this book has such great reviews and is considered a wonderful self help book. The best part of the book is "Autobiography in Five Short Chapters", which I indeed like a lot. The rest of he book is poorly written and edited with silly thoughts printed on paper. There were a couple of well-written pieces that had some substance but most of it was not very insightful. ...more
JoAnn Bell
Jul 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
I was given this book years ago and read excerpts, but just picked it up again to read it through.

What a delightful, funny, realistic read! I found my self saying over and over, "That's exactly what I feel!", "Ha I thought that too!"

All should read it to help them understand themselves, their relationships and restore their sanity!
Tabbitha Lindsley
Apr 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
This was a great book full of poems that show how one can lead to self discovery. It is full of practical advice, especially in terms of relationships and how one can lose themselves in the mist of one and then how to discover yourself after and during. This is a great book that shows how life really works.
Angela
Aug 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I adore this book! Autobiography in 5 Short Chapters (the poem) has meant a lot to me over the years. I just learned about the book recently. So much of it resonates with me but from a different perspective of self discovery.

I am astounded
at how long it takes
to discover...
for the first time,
the things I have learned...
over and over again
all my life.
Will Holcomb
Sep 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is a short, quick book to read but has a wealth of wisdom to reflect on. I will be rereading it from time to time because it is the kind of book that will always have something new because you will always read it from a different mindset and the words will be fresh for a new state of mind.
M
Apr 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
Amazing book of quotes...I could relate to each one of them intimately as if the author was talking to me about my own life...a must read for every seeker.
kelly
Aug 27, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: live-well
Someone recommended this to me after telling me about "Autobiography in Five Short Chapters," which I had never heard of but is apparently famous. It's probably the best part of this little book. The rest are like little emo tweets, each on their own page. ...more
Frank
Jul 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What an incredibly true and beautiful book.
Narinder  Bhatia
Brilliant in pieces !

The book is brilliant in pieces and those pieces are quite few. The piece titled "Autobiography in five short chapters" still stands out.
Frank Paul
Jul 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book. Both simple and deep. It was a beautiful surprise.
Mary Rathmell
Jul 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Very easy read but yet complex! Beautifully written. I’ll reread it often.
Citrine
Feb 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
My Grandmother grew up with Portia and didn't have a bad word to say about her . I was thrilled to learn she had written a book ! The poetry is beautiful and real . ...more
Tamara Hossain
Feb 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book felt like someone was reading my self-talk. My subconscious on paper. It was often eye-opening to see insecure thoughts written out in front of you as if you wrote them. A lot of the poems are also just fun to read and quirky little poems . It was a nice easy ready but also powerful to see other people talk like this to themselves too.
Raíssa
Jan 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
this is one of those slap-in-your face, mic-drop, simple-truths that everyone needs every once in a while.
Mary Leonard

• Illness as Metaphor and AIDS and Its Metaphors
  • A Year at the Chateau
  • Night Sky with Exit Wounds
  • Almost Home: Poems
  • The Longest Yard Sale (Sarah Winston Garage Sale Mystery #2)
  • Telling True Stories: A Nonfiction Writers' Guide from the Nieman Foundation at Harvard University
  • Why Won’t You Apologize?: Healing Big Betrayals and Everyday Hurts
  • Wintering: The Power of Rest and Retreat in Difficult Times
  • To Be Taught, If Fortunate
  • The Greatest Women in History: The Remarkable Women Who Changed Our World
Portia Nelson was a true renaissance woman: author, singer, composer, lyricist, painter, photographer, and actress. She has appeared in such films as The Sound of Music, Dr. Doolittle, The Trouble with Angels, and The Other, and she appeared on the television soap opera, All My Children, as Mrs. Gurney for many years. She appeared in Broadway in the award-winning musical The Golden Apple.
Over the