Start by marking “Radar Girls” as Want to Read:
Radar Girls

Radar Girls

An extraordinary story inspired by the real Women’s Air Raid Defense, where an unlikely recruit and her sisters-in-arms forge their place in WWII history.

Daisy Wilder prefers the company of horses to people, bare feet and salt water to high heels and society parties. Then, in the dizzying aftermath of the attack on Pearl Harbor, Daisy enlists in a top secret program, repla
Expected publication: July 27th 2021 by MIRA

To ask other readers questions about Radar Girls, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Radar Girls

Start your review of Radar Girls
Literary Redhead
ALOHA WOMEN AT WAR

Oh how I love this book! It’s WWII hist fic with a twist. Set in Hawaii amid the Pearl Harbor attack and creation of the first Women’s Air Raid Defense (WARD).

The writing is lush with elegant descriptions of island life, food, creatures, and language. The narrative grabs the heart, starting with the December 7, 1941, bombings from the POV of gutsy protagonist Daisy.

I adore her and her spunky WARD friends and keenly felt their joys, grief, fears, trauma, and the heat of the s
Elise Hooper
Feb 12, 2021 rated it it was amazing
RADAR GIRLS delivers the pitch perfect combination of fascinating history and unforgettable characters. I loved being transported to Hawaii and learning about these adventurous, smart women who answered the call of duty at a critical time. Sara Ackerman weaves together a wonderful story about friendship and love set against the turbulence and fear of a nation at war.
Janet
Feb 23, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Date reviewed/posted: February 23, 2021
Publication date: July 27, 2021

When life for the entire galaxy and planet has turned on its end, you are continuing to #maskup and #lockdown to be in #COVID19 #socialisolation as the #secondwave is upon us, AND it is a loverly minus 26 degrees, snowy and icy where I am currently stuck living, so superspeed readers like me can read 300+ pages/hour, so yes, I have read the book … and many more today.

I requested and received a temporary digital Advance Reader
Melanie | pagesandtealeavess
Radar Girls by Sara Ackerman
Genre: Historical Fiction
Publication Date: July 27, 2021
TW: Sexual Assault, Grief, Loss, War
This is a book for you if you like: novels set in WWII, found families, tropical paradises, smashing the patriarchy, and flyboys

Daisy took over horse training on the Montgomery ranch after the sudden death of her father. When the Japanese attack Pearl Harbor, Daisy is on a beach unauthorized with the ranch’s prized horse, Moon. Mr. Montgomery doesn't take kindly to her losing
Laura Hill
Feb 10, 2021 rated it really liked it
Thank you to Harlequin and NetGalley for providing an advance copy of this book in exchange for my honest review. The book will be published on July 27th, 2021.

Writing: 3/5 Plot: 4/5 Characters: 4/5

1941, Oahu: Daisy Wilder — high school drop out, gifted horse trainer, and sole support for her widowed and non-functioning mother — is out diving for supper when the world changes. It's December 7th and it's Pearl Harbor. She feels the vibration of hundreds of Japanese planes in the sea.

This book is
B Daisy
Feb 16, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow. “Radar Girls” is going down as one of my all time favourite historical fiction reads.

When I started the book, it took the first chapter to hook me in. I could not put this book down. You could tell this was written with love and admiration as not one word was out of place. This was so well written. Readers who love a novel that pulls them in immediately, this one is for you.

I fell in love with every single character of this novel. Each were constructed so beautifully. I especially loved h
Beth H
Feb 28, 2021 rated it really liked it
I received an advanced copy of this book.

Radar Girls is a WW2 book about the Women's Air Raid Defense, and the women who were recruited and trained in this program after the attack on Pearl Harbor. The ladies learned how to track planes and provide guidance to pilots. Daisy trades in her life of working with horses and enjoy the outdoors to become a very successful recruit. She faces the scrutiny of her male superiors, but also feels her heart growing for one pilot in particular.

I enjoyed this d
Lori
Sep 29, 2020
Nefertari
Sep 30, 2020

• The Awakening (The Dragon Heart Legacy, #1)
  • Eleanor Oliphant Is Completely Fine
  • The Merchant and the Rogue (The Dread Penny Society #3)
  • The Ex Talk
  • The Sanatorium
  • The Other Miss Bridgerton (Rokesbys, #3)
  • A Golden Fury
  • Nine Lives
  • Black Buck
  • Complications
  • The Women's March: A Novel of the 1913 Woman Suffrage Procession
Sara writes books about love and life, and all of their messy and beautiful imperfections. Born and raised in Hawaii, she studied journalism and later earned graduate degrees in psychology and Chinese medicine. She is the USA Today bestselling author of The Lieutenant's Nurse and Island of Sweet Pies and Soldiers, with several more in the works. She blames Hawaii for her addiction to writing, and ...more