Start by marking “The Paper Bag Princess (Story Corner S.)” as Want to Read:
The Paper Bag Princess (Story Corner S.)

The Paper Bag Princess (Story Corner S.)

4.32  ·  Rating details ·  47,191 ratings  ·  2,058 reviews
One of Robert Munsch's most popular and ingenious characters is now available as a doll. Dressed in her trademark paper bag, the spunky but dishevelled Elizabeth is ready to tackle new adventures.
Published June 18th 1999 by Scholastic, Inc. (first published May 1st 1980)

To ask other readers questions about The Paper Bag Princess, please sign up.
Ava She used his own boasting and turned it against him in a form of peer presure. (Ex, making him fly around the world really fast untill he didn't have …moreShe used his own boasting and turned it against him in a form of peer presure. (Ex, making him fly around the world really fast untill he didn't have any energy left, using all his fire uslessly, ect.)(less)

·  47,191 ratings  ·  2,058 reviews

Start your review of The Paper Bag Princess (Story Corner S.)
Cristina Monica
It’s so important for children to be exposed to feminism through their reads. The Paper Bag Princess, you did a good job showing the princess isn’t always the one who needs saving, so we should stop assuming that. ...more
Hannah Greendale
The beautiful Princess Elizabeth lives in a castle and is engaged to marry Prince Ronald. One day, a fire-breathing dragon destroys her castle, incinerates her belongings, then flies away with Ronald. Since all her clothes are ruined, Princess Elizabeth dons a paper bag and sets off to save her prince.

princess_elizabeth

Elizabeth decided to chase the dragon and get Ronald back.
She looked everywhere for something to wear, but the only thing she could find that was not burnt was a paper bag. So she put on the pape
Manny
May 12, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Girl meets boy. Boy meets dragon. Girl loses boy and clothes. Girl uses paper bag as dress. Girl defeats dragon. Girl gets boy back again. Boy is ungrateful. Boy loses girl. THE END
Paige
Nov 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-kids
The 40th Anniversary Edition includes bonus content that includes a short one page Note to Readers from Chelsea Clinton explaining the meaning of the story to her and its importance in her life. Next, is a two page article by Francesca Segal called Stand Up To Dragons. In this two page article, Francesca Segal proves the timelessness of the story and its relevance today. She includes examples such as the #MeToo movement, misogyny, and cronyism. In the end of the book, there is a two page b ...more
Calista
Why have I never heard of Robert Munsch before? This is from 1980 and it's serious girl power. This princess is in love with the prince. She learns quickly he's not worth her love and she MOVES on. I mean this is revolutionary. All girls need to grow up reading this story. It is fantastic. Robert is on my list of authors to read so I will be going through his books.

This was a fantastic story. The kids enjoyed it too with dragons and princesses. I like this princess, she has worth.

This is my ba
January
Mar 25, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It is never too early to teach girls to not settle, and to save the prince! Even if Ronald is a pathetic prince.
Mariah Roze
My students did not enjoy this book. They thought it was super annoying.
Kathryn
I give this three stars because it was originally written in 1980 when there wasn't as much in the way of "feminist fairy-tales" as there are today--so, gotta give Munsch props for that! I like that our heroine is plucky and resourceful. However, two things really bugged me--

***SPOILERS***
1st, was it Ronald or Elizabeth who was being false before she came to rescue him--i.e., did she originally pretend to be a proper princess, or was he just hiding his jerky-ness? Their split seemed a bit sudde
Briar's Reviews
When I was growing up, The Paper Bag Princess was one of my go to books. I'm not kidding, I knew that story inside out and could recite it without the book. As I got older, I lost that ability to recite this book without hesitation, but the memories are still there. This book holds a special place in my heart! Robert Munsch is a genius!

So, as the story suggests there is a Princess. Her name is Elizabeth! She is beautiful, lives in a big fancy castle, is engaged to Ronald, and has everything her
Ronyell
Princess

I have been reading most of Robert Munsch and Michael Martchenko’s works ever since I was a child and I have enjoyed most of their works! I have recently re-read a book from the popular duo that I had enjoyed during my childhood called “The Paper Bag Princess” and it is about how a princess is stripped down to wearing a plain paper bag when a dragon attacks her castle and she has to go rescue Prince Ronald, who has been kidnapped by the dragon. “The Paper Bag Princess” is definitely one of Rober
Maliha Tabassum Tisha (on semi-hiatus)
Oct 06, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: all the little girls in the world
I started reading this book with really high hopes. I mean, an 80's picturebook about a princess who loses her family and all, and then goes to save her beloved prince from a dragon ALL BY HERSELF - how cool is that??

But I so hated the way the Paper Bag Princess defeats the dragon! I thought it was intolerably misguiding for a book that's intended for children.

But the ending totally changed the game for me.

That ending is just everything, you guys!!! Go make your little girls read this book bef
Shaina
To be honest, I'm not sure I got the moral here. Maybe, don't let anyone make you feel bad about yourself. A princess decided to live differently bc of a snooty prince's teasing. And she toughened up. There might be a little 'girl power ' message in here too, with a side of - 'honey you're too young to be worrying about that now', and finally some - 'don't bullies just suck'?
HBalikov
Jul 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thanks to my GR friend Hannah for alerting me to this book. I will enjoy reading it to my granddaughters (when they are a little older)

My own reading time: less than 120 seconds; longer when reading to someone special.

A delightful twist on a classic situation when Princess Elizabeth sets out to rescue Prince Ronald, to whom she is betrothed. She is smart and feisty and, ultimately, successful.

An excellent opportunity for discussion: of means and results; of roles and responsibilities; of parents
La Coccinelle
Sep 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children
I don't even know how many times I've read this. It was pretty much a staple in my childhood. We even had a recording at one point of the author reading it (Robert Munsch is a great storyteller; if you ever get a chance to see or hear him read one of his books, take it). This book is probably one of the first feminist books I ever read, and I still love the message.

Even after all these years, Elizabeth kicks dragon ass and Ronald is still a bum (he's actually more of an asshole, but this is a ki
Celia Kennedy
Apr 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An absolute must read for every girl from birth through forever...

I'm not a raging feminist, but I am a huge believer in a girl knowing that she can rescue herself and anyone else who needs it - if they want her help. This book reinforces how to be resourceful, have confidence, and know when to walk away. My daughter received this gift the day she was born and we've read it a thousand times. One of the few that is still on the bookshelf, more than a decade later.
Ivonne Rovira
Dec 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: clever children of all ages
Recommended to Ivonne by: NetGalley
I first read The Paper Bag Princess some decades ago on the recommendation of a school librarian. Now Annick Press has reissued the slim book about a valiant princess who rescues a not-so-noble prince. For 40 years, this picture book has taught young girls that they can save themselves and that boys who judge them on looks rather than character don’t deserve them. I’m so glad that a third generation of boys and girls will get the pleasure of this delightful book and its important message.

In the
J. Boo
Oct 25, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I get what they were trying to do, but the story was way too short for the out-of-left-field feminist denouement. (*) I did like the illustrations, though.

(*) Fine, there was a brief reference in an illustration to the Prince not being as interested in the Princess as she was in him, but it wasn't explicit, and I've not yet met a child of the likely age range who could handle any degree of subtlety.
Rachel
3 stars.

Ok so I can see how there is definitely a positive vibe about this book and how the girl stood up for herself but I just don't get why this is as popular as it is. Maybe because if when it was written when strong female role models weren't too common but otherwise....I don't get it. It was still good but just, I guess I expected more. I liked the illustrations too.
Amy
Jun 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Essential empowering book for tween girls.
Jen
Dec 31, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
This is a classic and I am glad to see that it is getting a special anniversary edition. My favorite part of the book was actually the afterward where the author's wife was talking about how he came up with story. I love little behind the scene glimpses like that. I highly recommend this edition of the book, for that part alone. 4, this takes me back, stars!

My thanks to NetGalley and Annick Press Ltd. for an eARC copy of this book to read and review.
Kimberly Dawn
Nov 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: for-kendall
Such an empowering story for girls!
Jessica
Nov 18, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: little tiny people, not-so-tiny people who could benefit from its message
I thought I reviewed this one already. This is an instructive fairytale for young children about not putting up with a bunch of crap. The paper bag princess is engaged to marry Prince Ronald, this handsome, uptight tennis-playing eighties-yuppie-style monarch, until she has to battle a fire-breathing dragon using only her wits. Elizabeth the princess outsmarts the dragon, but not before his fire breath blows away all of her clothes and she's left to conceal her nakedness by wearing a paper bag. ...more
Weng
Jun 22, 2015 rated it liked it
3.5/5.0 stars

Yesssss! A reversal! In kids book, no less!! (Me, whooping)

The Paperbag Princess subtly teaches the little ones(girls, especially) several things; one, material possession is fleeting, two, beauty is more than skin-deep, three, wisdom is a weapon, four, you can be your own hero, and five, acceptance and respect comprise genuine love. Did I miss anything? Oh yeah, why not shed double standards while we're at it.

Children are smart and retentive, they begin to adapt ideas and set their
Ann
I love the idea of a strong female character - especially given when this was initially published. It kind of turns the classic "damsel in distress" on its head, where the princess saves the prince.
I also liked that the princess had to out-smart the dragon - she succeeded by using her brain.
That's what I liked....

But, I think I would have liked this a lot better had it only been about the dragon, or only been about the relationship with the prince - but I didn't like them both together because o
Chance Lee
Dec 08, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-it
Reprint of a picture book from the 1980s. The story reminds me of a Fractured Fairy Tale from Rocky & Bullwinkle. ...more
Jenny
I have always thought that this book is humorous...and yet I have never LOVED it.

Things I like:
1. The brave, clever girl who doesn't wait for someone to come rescue her but courageously solves her own problem.
2. Lessons in humility can be taught/discussed. Elizabeth used the dragon's vanity to overcome him. This could be used in a character education lesson to talk about humility as well as courage.
3. The illustrations add to the fun and humor of the story.
4. This could also be used to talk abou
Alicia Bayer
Dec 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This re-release of the classic story has a preface by Chelsea Clinton and another by Francesca Segal, plus an endnote by Munsch's wife where we learn that it was actually her idea for Robert to finally tell a story where the princess does the rescuing. Otherwise, the book itself is the same wonderful story with the same illustrations. It's a great book for girls and boys, with a short story that's perfect for bedtime, an important message, and good illustrations.

I read a temporary digital ARC of
Nancy Kotkin
Love this modern twist on outdated fairy tale assumptions. In this picture book, a clever princess rescues her prince(view spoiler). First published in 1980, this book was way ahead of its time and is still very relevant and much needed today.
Kerstin
May 27, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved this book. What kind of princess do you want to be? If you want to be a Sleeping Beauty kind of princess, this book is not for you. If you want to be an empowered, capable princess, our paper bag Princess will speak volumes.
Etienne
Nov 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
That was great! Feminist fairy tales! Very funny and good, it plays with the gender stereotypes and can be useful to talk about those with kids. Awesome book in today time, and even greater if we consider it was written 40 years ago!!
Paper Bag Princess Essay 2 15 Sep 23, 2018 10:54AM

• The Day the Crayons Quit
  • The True Story of the 3 Little Pigs
  • Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day
  • Princess Smartypants
  • The Frog Prince, Continued
  • The Story of Ferdinand
  • Rosie Revere, Engineer
  • Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus!
  • Click, Clack, Moo: Cows That Type
  • Dragons Love Tacos
  • Knuffle Bunny: A Cautionary Tale (Knuffle Bunny, #1)
  • The Rainbow Fish
  • Kermit the Hermit
  • Chrysanthemum
  • Olivia (Olivia, #1)
  • Animalia
  • I Want My Hat Back
  • A Bad Case of Stripes
Robert Munsch was born in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. He graduated from Fordham University in 1969 with a Bachelor of Arts degree in history and from Boston University in 1971 with a Master of Arts degree in anthropology.

He studied to become a Jesuit priest, but decided he would rather work with children after jobs at orphanages and daycare centers. In 1973, he received a Master of Education in Chil

Articles featuring this book