Start by marking “The Intellectual Life of the British Working Classes” as Want to Read:
The Intellectual Life of the British Working Classes

The Intellectual Life of the British Working Classes

4.32  ·  Rating details ·  133 Ratings  ·  22 Reviews
This prizewinning book provides an intellectual history of the British working classes from the pre-industrial era to the twentieth century. Drawing on workers' memoirs, social surveys, library registers, and more, the author discovers how members of the working classes educated themselves, which books they read, and how their reading influenced them.
Published January 11th 2003 by Yale University Press (first published 2001)

Be the first to ask a question about The Intellectual Life of the British Working Classes

Ed
Jun 02, 2011 rated it it was amazing
A monumental book, full of the most amazing new insights. A sort of intellectual roller coaster ride through the period 1850 to 1950, mainly focused on Britain but with asides to the US and Europe. Instead of focusing on what was being written, he focuses on what was being read, using information from working class memoirs, public library loan records and book sales. I grew up near the South Wales coalfield which still had the aftermath to its history of working class passionate drive for educat ...more
Abailart
Apr 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: history, culture
Meticulously research, this provides a reservoir of source material to follow up. The highly readable themes cohere nicely. There are revelations of our near working class history in every chapter, signposts to hundreds of other destinations. Obviously, a work like this has to be severely edited, and there is no room for the author to develop ideological critiques. However, despite the odd nod in the direction of balance, it's clear that Rose wants to evoke a past age when things were 'better', ...more
Thomas
Oct 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2015, history
My wife: "What are you reading?"
Me: "A book called, The Intellectual Life of the British Working Classes."
Wife: "Sounds thrilling."
Me: "It is!"

And, it really is thrilling in its way. This is a fascinating book, crammed full of quotes and anecdotes: maids dreaming of becoming novelists and Welsh miners quoting long passages of poetry in the darkness of the pit. Rose lets the "working classes" speak for themselves largely via a vast amount of research collected from published and unpublished mem
Stu West
May 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I'm not going to try recommending this because let's face it, who apart from me is going to be demented enough to want to read a 500-odd page book about the reading habits of long-dead British workers? I will say that I loved it, found it constantly engaging and insightful, and that I particularly liked the way the author put the boot into Marx, Joyce and various other political and literary sacred cows.
Sharon
Oct 19, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Those interested in 20th century British social history
Shelves: history
This is a very readable, absolutely fascinating look at what the British working classes were reading and learning from the 1700s to the mid-20th century. The author discusses what books and plays were most popular among with working classes, different traditions of schooling, the libraries and self-improvement societies established by Welsh miners...I could go on and on. The title sounds dry, but the book is full of surprises and well worth a look.
Steve
Nov 09, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-of-2011
An avalanche of evidence that in the preTV world of the 19th and early 20th centuries many of the working class had a thriving self-education ethos, centred on the classics.
TheGirlWhoLivedUpstairs
Sep 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Over 10 years since I first read it, this book is still an engaging debate on the validity of education for all, not just the social elite, and the innate desire to learn. It is also a helpful reminder that we shouldn't become too complacent about the advantages that modern education can confer, or the erosion by present-day governments, anxious to mark changes on the education system and do away with meritocracy in favour of those who can afford to pay the fees.

It also made me remember my mater
Jonathan
Dec 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing
The enthralling story of how weavers, navvies, and clerks struggled over two centuries to educate themselves and become conversant in literature, philosophy, politics, science, and the arts, until their ultimate defeat at the hands of the hipsters.
Wonderperson89
May 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: emancipatory
A book which changed my life. The working man got a ravenous desire to read nd they read anything and everything to get that skill ability. The Bloomsbury Set under Virginia Woolf suppressed the new Intelligentsia that resulted.
KimberlyRose
Jul 10, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: non-fic
A worthwhile and fascinating topic presented in a sometimes crisp and accessible, memorable manner, and, at other times--the majority of times--presented in a dull, plodding, unnecessarily dense manner.
Jules Evans
Oct 17, 2012 rated it really liked it
I loved this. Fascinating and heartening to read about self-education and mutual improvement clubs in the working class in the 19th and 20th centuries. Brilliant book.
Christopher Donaghue
This has been an absolutely wonderful read. Each night I would read a section - ranging from 2 to 10 pages - to my mother, which allowed me to show off my familiarity with the topic by serving as a running commentary, explaining details on almost every page. That said, it is not a book for everyone: she has very little knowledge of either the period or the literature, so without my assistance this book would have been meaningless to her. However, having been a proud autodidact since childhood, t ...more
Daniel
Jun 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Don't be put off by the cinder-block-size of this book--or its title. It's wholly engaging, fun to read, and affirms the good sense of the common folks. What did regular people read between the wars? How would you find out--and what does this suggest about reading in general? Read it.
Malcolm
Jul 23, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: british-history
Humbling (methodologically for the historian), and impressive (in its scholarship for that same historian): me in both cases. Through detailed analyses of things such as library stock and lending records, diaries and journals, Rose has revealed an extremely rich world of working class erudition, auto-didacticism, and scholarship. Here are groups of miners in a reading circle exploring Kant and the big issues of Enlightenment philosophy. Importantly, Rose reveals a working class intellectual life ...more
Humphrey
Sep 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
Magisterial to a degree uncommon in today's academia, Rose is an illuminating and forceful advocate of studying actual readers. Several major arguments to be found here overturn generations of lip-service from critics. Working class readers did read "high" literature; they did so for many reasons more frequent than class aspirations; their reading patterns often ignored the division between "high" and "low" or "mass" culture to begin with; when they read "low" literature they often got more comp ...more
D
Apr 10, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I especially like a few thoughts from this book: "One cannot think without using some kind of frame, no more than a computer can work without a program... literature, by suggesting a wealth of alternative perspectives on the world, would inevitably subvert ideology. As (Matthew) Arnold phrases it, culture can liberate us from 'system-makers and systems' by 'turning a stream of fresh and free thought upon our stock notions and habits.' " And an observation about how readers selected books (with a ...more
Jackson Cyril
Nov 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A book full of astonishing information; I never thought I'd enjoy reading workers's memoirs-- an army of which Rose marshals to support his theses in this work. I had no idea that the working classes of previous generations read so voraciously, and how many of these autodidacts (among them future Labour leaders) found inspiration in the classic Western authors (Milton, Shakespeare, Austen, Scott, Carlyle etc) instead of modernist trash. Really, really cool stuff, and written in highly readable p ...more
Kaycee Roberts
Jan 15, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I never write reviews, but I know this is an odd book to add to my shelf and so I wanted to clarify. (I usually leave most academic or research-based nonfiction off of my list here.) Rose's argument is tenuous in some cases, and he seems to use evidence rather selectively in support of his thesis at certain places, but this is an absolutely fascinating read. I highly, highly recommend it to anyone interested in learning more about the real effect of Victorian industrialism in Britain.
Chas Bayfield
Jan 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
THis is an inspirational book about poor people pulling themselves up by their bootstraps; people who didn't leave it to fate or governments to help them along but who took matters into their own hands and put in the hours after working a long day. There's a massive amount of research and some great success stories of people who rose from lowly beginnings to positions of power and wealth. A kind of British American Dream!
Albertine67
Sep 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
An immensely readable and fascinating account of what working class people have read over the generations, and why. I found it very hard to put down, which is saying something for what is essentially an academic book.
Quirkyreader
Jul 24, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
See my review on my book blog:

Andrew Fong
  • The Magna Carta Manifesto: Liberties and Commons for All
  • Staying Power: The History of Black People in Britain
  • The Making of the English Working Class
  • From Memory to Written Record: England 1066 - 1307
  • The Intellectuals and The Masses: Pride and Prejudice Among the Literary Intelligentsia, 1880-1939
  • Penny Red: Notes from the New Age of Dissent
  • Shopped: The Shocking Power of British Supermarkets
  • The Roads to Modernity: The British, French, and American Enlightenments
  • The English: A Social History, 1066-1945
  • Comrades: A World History of Communism
  • In the Beginning: The Story of the King James Bible and How it Changed a Nation, a Language, and a Culture
  • Enlightenment: Britain and the Creation of the Modern World