Start by marking “Rules don't apply” as Want to Read:
Rules don't apply

Rules don't apply

I have loved Chris from the first day I laid eyes on him. But he’s my best friend. So I’ve watched and waited, forever the friend, never the girlfriend.
Abby is sure of a lot of things in life: her spot in the engineering program at Berkeley, her obsession for Chris, and her guaranteed slot in the friend zone. But this year is going to be different.
Shane has it all in life.
Kindle Edition
Published January 5th 2021

To ask other readers questions about Rules don't apply, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rules don't apply

Start your review of Rules don't apply
Katie W
My favorite type of story!

I love a story with solid characters and this new adult book definitely has them. Abby has been in love with her best friend, Chris, for forever and Shane, the big player on campus, is going to finally help her win him over once and for all.

Demeyere does a great job on connecting the reader with the characters. I could relate to Abby and was cheering her on in her quest to go from friends to lovers, but Shane is utterly adorable and the weekend set aside for the transf
Kathy
Cute!

I enjoyed this fun college-setting New Adult story. Abby has been crushing on her best friend Chris for years, but he is always jumping from one girl to the next. She's done with going unnoticed and decides to take drastic measures by accepting the help of the biggest player on campus, Shane Davis.

Abby and Shane were cute together, fun playful chemistry. I thought this was a fun read and it kept me glued to the pages, a nice escape. I thought things did move a long a little quickly, would
Julie Carpenter
I adored this sweet and flirty story of unrequited love. It was exactly the light and fun story I was needing to read. My reading time has been a struggle and life has been such for me that I was getting into a reading slump. Shocker for me, I know! But then this book showed up and I dove it. And guess what, I read it pretty much straight through. I needed a distraction and this was a delight! I stayed up way past my bedtime enjoying it, laughing out loud and possibly shedding a few tears.

Abby w
Lisa
Aug 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Abby cannot figure out how to get her best friend to notice that they would be perfect together if he just could see her as a girl. Thankfully Abby's lab partner Shane has ideas on how to help Abby out...
Watching Abby and Shane learn about each other was adorable and awkward and funny and charming. Definitely a fun read!
(And Shane's sister, Mia, is a funny side character that I hope eventually gets her own story!)
Aimee (Getting Your Read On)
Abby is in love with her best friend who has never even looked at her in any other way than that of a friend but Abby is convinced that it's now or never. She's got to get his attention and tell him. Enter Shane, who promises to help Abby and whisks her away to a makeover weekend.

I thought this was a fun cast of characters. Shane is charming and entertaining and may, at first glance, appear shallow but there is depth there and it was very satisfying to see that come to light through Abby's eyes.
Mindy
Aug 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I received an e-arc for an honest review.

This was a short and sweet romance. I adore Shane and his charismatic personality. Abby was willing to make changes that, in the end, help her love herself instead of her intended purpose. Cute story!
Taylor Dean
Jan 04, 2021 rated it it was amazing
This was such a sweet story with wonderful messages.

Sometimes we think we know exactly what we want in life and we're positive it's the right thing for us. But life often has other plans-unexpected and surprising plans. This book is the perfect example of exactly that.

Also, this book shows that the old adage about judging a book by its cover holds true. There is always more to a person than meets the eye. We just have to uncover what's underneath the facade. Everyone has their own story and rare
Marie Bourgery
Sep 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Abby has a crush on her best friend Chris. Her perceived slacker playboy chemistry lab partner Shane convinces her to change her image and pretend to date him to get Chris to notice her. I loved Shane's little sister Mia who knew what she wanted and told it like she saw it. His mother Nell was pretty sweet too. I'm a nerd too and would never have been bold enough to wear some of the outfits Mia convinced Abby to wear and I certainly wouldn't have gone to a college frat party. This a clean YA hap ...more
Kaye
Sep 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
☀️☀️ONE DELIGHTFUL JOURNEY☀️☀️
Unforgettable! Mylissa cranked this baby up with one fun-filled and delectable treat, waging war on unsuspecting foes, mapping out an impressive stratagem, gracing the space and expanding the genre with this mixed up, smashed up pair, thrusting this baby to life flawlessly. Heated glances and rising temps, baring the adorable quirks and defying bents, disclosing the explosive ups and agonizing downs, breathtaking in it's simplicity and rousing in it's depth, molding
Crissy Holland
Aug 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book! The author did a great job building the characters and drawing you in. When I read the description of this book I wasn’t sure if I could get invested in it. The go-to YA romance is “friends to lovers” so I automatically wanted to see her win over her “High school crush”, but the more I read, the more I was cheering for the “campus player”! No one wants to be unappreciated and taken for granted! A sweet innocent girl who misunderstands her infatuation for love until sh ...more
Vibliophile
A fun Pygmalion-flavored YA story

Abby has been crushing on her best friend, Chris, for as long as she's known him. He doesn't seem to see her as anything but a friend though. After he breaks up with his girlfriend, Abby works up the courage to tell him how she feels. Except before she can, he introduces her to his new girlfriend.

Annoying but handsome player, Shane, convinces her that he can help her get Chris's attention - and interest - and the fun begins

As Shane spends time with her, Abby star
Giofab21
Sep 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Just as Abby is finally about to tell her best friend Chris that she has feelings for him he hooks up with another girl. Tired of being just friends she jumps at the opportunity to learn what to do from the campus player Shane, her new lab partner. His offering suddenly has her spending the weekend with his family while getting extra help and a makeover from his sister Mia.
As soon as the sarcasm hit between these two I was in. You just knew that Shane was more than what everyone thought of him a
Lori R
Aug 31, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I am amazed at how well the cover matches the character in this book. Abby is a pretty girl who does not really care how she looks except she cannot get the guy she likes interested in her. He is even her best friend.
Shane is Abby's lab partner who offers her some advice if she is willing to take it. He wants her to come spend the weekend with his mom and his sister so they can work on making an improved version of Abby.
I was pleasantly surprised how the story turned out. Looks like Abby really
Anonymous 5
Oct 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I really loved this cute story. It was fun and flirty and exactly the type of light-hearted reading I needed. The characters were relatable and easy to fall in love with. The whole time I found myself rooting for Abby. This was a sweet, feel-good story that had me captivated till the very end. Abby and Shane were great together and I just loved their chemistry. I adored this charming story and if your looking for a fun and cute escape, you definitely want to pick this up!

I was gifted an advanced
Tandy Oschadleus
Oct 31, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I received a free copy to review: What a delightful young-love story! I stayed up till 1.m. and finished it, after repeatedly telling myself, "just one more chapter..."!! A captivating, heartwarming narrative between two chemistry lab partners who discover the truth about 'judging a book by its cover'. The characters were fun and quirky and I felt as if I were a part of their circle. Toe-curlingly sweet and swoony!

Language: clean
Sex: none - there is detailed 'explict' kissing if that is a dealbr
H. James
Nov 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
When Abby’s plan to open up to her best friend--who she has crushed on forever--backfires, she finds an ally in none other than Shane, the one guy she’s never taken seriously. All bets are off as Shane helps navigate Abby out of the friend zone and into the end zone. It's a very cute story and the chemistry between Abby and Shane is spot on. Loved every page of it. ...more
Michaela
Sep 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A most enjoyable, clean romcom. I devoured it. The characters were golden and the dialogue and storyline were crazy enticing. I could read this book all day. Light and airy and lots of feels.

I received an ARC of this book and am voluntarily leaving an honest review.
Jessie Cal
Jan 07, 2021 rated it it was amazing
This was a fun new adult romance. Abby and Shane were adorable together. The fun and witty banter made it for great chemistry between them. I thought this was a fun and quick read. Utterly charming and lighthearted a lot of heart and a happy ending. Thoroughly enjoyed it.
Monesapula Nosizwe Manake
Aug 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book was provided as an Advance Copy.
There was a moment where I was hanging on to my sofa,slipped & fell because I was laughing so hard. I couldn't breath. Hilarious
Arceli
I loved Shane and Abby. They are such a cute and fun couple. Their chemistry was amazing. There were awesome sizzle and kisses. Great enemies to lovers.
Aminata Coote
Sep 08, 2020 rated it liked it
This was a quick, fun read. Abby has been in love with her best friend Chris for four years. In a moment of weakness, she allows the flirty guy she's paired with for lab class to give her dating advice. But as she gets to know Shane she realizes she doesn't know him as well as she thought and maybe what she felt for Chris wasn't the real thing.

At the beginning of the story, Abby is hiding behind her brains thinking if she's smart she's not allowed to be beautiful as well. But as she spends more
Annie
Mar 15, 2021 rated it really liked it
This was a cute, super short story. It was an insta love story which I don’t usually go for but going into it knowing it was a short Read I rather suspected this. Abbey was an ok heroine. She was nerdy, awkward, judgmental and rather rude. She had a lot of growing up to do.
Shane was confident, smart, loyal and all around a great guy that everyone judged. Abbey was harsh on him, but it didn’t stop him from being kind to her. He basically teaches her how to be more approachable, enjoy life and wh
Crystal
Sep 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shane and Abby’s story is great. She ends up with who she is supposed to be with. She thought she was in love with Chris but after spending time with Shane, she realized that she wasnt actually in love with Chris. But the problem I had is that she doesn’t know a thing about guys and relationships so she doesn’t understand Shane’s reactions nor believes he actually likes her. Also she doesn’t understand things from his perspective of wanting to complete their mission of making her noticeable to C ...more
Anna B
Sep 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
Rules don’t apply is a sweet quick to read feel good romance.
Abs is a bit of a nerd with a crush on her best friend Chris who happens to be a bit of a player.
From the moment she met Shane she was sure he was the same with a big dose of self importance thrown in. What she didn’t see was the man on the inside. When he agrees to help her get noticed by her best friend, what happens when her preconceived ideas about Shane are shattered?
This book has us examine the way we judge others. What are
Winnie
Sep 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
Rules Don’t Apply by Mylissa Demeyere is a sweet and charming easy-to-read story with plenty of wit and humor. The enjoyable banter between the two main characters, Abby and Shane, kept me chuckling. It was fun to see their relationship grow as they got to know each other better. With a theme of not judging others until you know their hearts, this delightful tale left me feeling satisfied and smiling. This is a great book to read if you want something light and amusing. I’ve read some of this au ...more
Jillian
Feb 02, 2021 rated it it was amazing
So cute I had to read it twice!

I finished reading this book yesterday. I loved it so much that I reread it again today. Yes that’s how much I enjoyed this book. The main character Abi was very easy to love. She is sarcastic and funny. Her insecurities make her relatable. I like how she was able to feel comfortable with who she was by the end. I loved how Shane from the beginning saw her. Like really saw her, got her quirks, and let her know her worthy telling her that she didn’t need to change a
Tiffany
Sep 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
4.5 stars...OMG!! I did not want this to end. Not only did Abby and Shane have amazing chemistry, they had beautiful personalities and were so relatable. They felt so real that it was easy to connect with them, get drawn in and be committed to their story. They were such a great match and I enjoyed everything about this story. It was so satisfying. I loved Mia, she was so fun and cheeky. Absolutely loved this book!! Will definitely be reading from this author again.
Cheryl McCrork
Aug 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This was such a good love story. I enjoyed it from beginning to end. It gave depth into insecurities and over coming these and getting what you want out of life. Shane and Abs were perfect together. This book will be enjoyed by many. Thank you Mylissa Demeyeer for a great book you are a good author.
Shauna
Sep 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
Abby goes from geeky to gorgeous and is trying to find love along the way. Shane is swoony and sweet. His family was fun and there were some laugh out loud little conversations. A different type of book from this author for me, but I enjoyed it. Would make the perfect little movie.

I was excited to be given an ARC of this book and these are my honest thoughts about the story.
Ms
Sep 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
So I read a arc and this is an honest review. Great book. Its a sweet story of how to students fall in love. I enjoyed it and recommend it if you like novellas

• Give Me One Good Reason (Shaped By Love, #4)
  • Falling for Your Fake Fiancé (Love Clichés #3)
  • Falling for Your Best Friend (Love Clichés, #5)
  • All's Fair in Love and Blood
  • Dare Number One: Kiss Me Like You Mean It: A Truth or Dare Romantic Comedy
  • Falling for Your Boss (Love Clichés, #2)
  • The Twelve Holidates: a Sweet Christmas RomCom Novella (Love Clichés, #4)
  • An Unexpected Love Story
  • If It's Perfect (The Wedding Business #1)
  • How to Not Fall for Your Best Friend
  • The Temporary Roomie (It Happened in Nashville, #2)
  • The Accidental Text
  • First Kiss Train Wreck (Shaped by Love #3)
  • Text Me On Tuesday: All is Fair in Love and Texting ... (An Accidentally in Love Story, #1)
  • The Off Limits Rule (It Happened in Nashville, #1)
  • How to Not Fall for Your Ex
  • The Mostly Real McCoy  (Apple Valley Love Stories #1)
  • Me and the Cute Catastrophe (Good Grief, Idaho, #1)
Mylissa Demeyere was born in Belgium, and resides in the beautiful city of Ghent. She lives in a somewhat organized home with her four beautiful children and the love of her life. If she isn't working, she's writing, running, reading, or enjoying time with her kids, who are growing up way too fast.
The Songs of You and Me is her debut novel, with a sequel already in the works.

Connect with Mylissa