Start by marking “The Modern World-System I: Capitalist Agriculture and the Origins of the European World-Economy in the Sixteenth Century” as Want to Read:

(The Modern World-System #1)

This book was written during a year's stay at the Center for Advanced Study in the Behavioral Sciences. Countless authors have sung its praises. Aside from splendid surroundings, unlimited library and secretarial assistance, and a ready supply of varied scholars to consult at a moment's notice, what the center offers is to leave the scholar to his own devices, for good or ...more
Published December 28th 1980 by Academic Press (first published 1975)

To ask other readers questions about The Modern World-System I, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Modern World-System I

Eren Buğlalılar
Dec 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: tarih
EN

It took 2 years for Wallerstein to find a publisher for his masterpiece. Interestingly enough, he was the famous American social scientist Charles Tilly who agreed to publish the piece in his publishing house and primed the bomb.

The book is influenced from a wide range of theories and practices from Marx to Cuban Revolution. To me, its theses mark the victory for his side during the debates between the orthodox and new-left Marxists.

His very insightful theses contrast with his extremely dull s
Alex
Oct 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: humanities
This is a great work of history but I have some caveats. I have very little ill to say about anything actually contained in the volume, it was extremely insightful and as someone trying to develop a Marxist understanding of history it was invaluable work of historical materialism. Wallerstein is phenomenal at developing the concrete relationships and tensions that would drive the leading edge of the ascent of western Europe onto the course that we recognize today. He shows how economic pressures ...more
Sofia Pi
Aug 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: politics, sociology
I absolutely loved Wallerstein and his analysis of modern capitalism. I am looking forward to reading the next two volumes.
Emilio Quinto
Jan 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Opera straordinaria. Uno dei più importanti saggi storici del Novecento. Unica pecca: è difficile da reperire in italiano
Alex
Feb 12, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: capitalism, history
provides lots of detail about the rise of capitalism in Europe in the "long sixteenth century" (about 1450-1640), as a result of the exploitation of the Americas, Africa, and Asia, as well as the emergence of wage-slavery for the domestic population. also interesting is the connection to the emergence of the strong 'nation-state' and how this was both shaped by, and shaped, early capitalism.

a bit dense, too detail-heavy, and at times boring, so there are probably better books out there about thi
Marlobo
Sep 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: og-non-fiction
Brillante trabajo. A mí, leer a Wallerstein me cambió la manera de ver y entender la historia y, consecuentemente el presente. Sin duda, uno de los grandes innovadores de la historiografía del siglo XX.

Wallerstein habla ya en ese momento nada más y nada menos que de globalización y complejidad, palabras e ideas que tardaría casi 20 años más en ser términos corrientes. Y no sólo lo explica con claridad conceptual es notable, sino también con visión crítica.

Se podrá acordar o no con sus posturas,
Kersplebedeb
Jun 20, 2016 rated it liked it
Really good arguments, however for someone without the historical background knowledge, the level of detail was overwhelming, and in fact distracting. As were the almost unending endnotes. These are quibbles, and say more about me that about the book i am sure. Still, they made it a lot more difficult to read. Add to that the fact that almost all of the sources are secondary sources, and i am left unsure how convinced i should or should not be by the argument.

That said, obviously, a massively im
Tim
Dec 16, 2012 rated it liked it
An interesting theory as to the origins of capitalism, but the writing is pretty atrocious and I'm not sure I follow his reasoning (nor am I sure that he follows his own reasoning)
Laurie Blome
Nov 06, 2016
Emre Sunu
Sep 06, 2014
Rafael Munia
rated it did not like it
Dec 25, 2014

• The Long Twentieth Century
  • Labor and Monopoly Capital: The Degradation of Work in the Twentieth Century
  • Civilization and Capitalism 15th-18th Century, Vol 2: The Wheels of Commerce
  • Passages from Antiquity to Feudalism
  • Reproduction in Education, Society and Culture (Theory, Culture & Society)
  • Studies in Ethnomethodology
  • The Philosophy of Money
  • Social Origins of Dictatorship and Democracy: Lord and Peasant in the Making of the Modern World
  • Behemoth: The Structure & Practice of National Socialism, 1933-1944
  • Risk Society: Towards a New Modernity
  • Social Theory and Social Structure
  • Globalization and Its Discontents
  • Social Systems
  • The Great Divergence: China, Europe, and the Making of the Modern World Economy
  • The Unbound Prometheus: Technological Change and Industrial Development in Western Europe from 1750 to the Present
Immanuel Maurice Wallerstein is a scholar of politics, sociologist, historical social scientist, and world-systems analyst. His bimonthly commentaries on world affairs are syndicated.

The Modern World-System (4 books)
  • The Modern World-System II: Mercantilism and the Consolidation of the European World-Economy, 1600-1750 (Studies in Social Discontinuity)
  • The Modern World-System III: The Second Era of Great Expansion of the Capitalist World-Economy, 1730s-1840s (Studies in Social Discontinuity)
  • The Modern World-System IV: Centrist Liberalism Triumphant, 1789–1914
“Imagination is usually nothing but the search for middle run profits by those to whom short run channels are blocked. When” 1 likes