Start by marking “The Modern World-System I: Capitalist Agriculture and the Origins of the European World-Economy in the Sixteenth Century” as Want to Read:

(The Modern World-System #1)

This book was written during a year's stay at the Center for Advanced Study in the Behavioral Sciences. Countless authors have sung its praises. Aside from splendid surroundings, unlimited library and secretarial assistance, and a ready supply of varied scholars to consult at a moment's notice, what the center offers is to leave the scholar to his own devices, for good or ...more
Published December 28th 1980 by Academic Press (first published 1975)

To ask other readers questions about The Modern World-System I, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Modern World-System I

Start your review of The Modern World-System I: Capitalist Agriculture and the Origins of the European World-Economy in the Sixteenth Century
Eren Buğlalılar
Dec 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: tarih
EN

It took 2 years for Wallerstein to find a publisher for his masterpiece. Interestingly enough, he was the famous American social scientist Charles Tilly who agreed to publish the piece in his publishing house and primed the bomb.

The book is influenced from a wide range of theories and practices from Marx to Cuban Revolution. To me, its theses mark the victory for his side during the debates between the orthodox and new-left Marxists.

His very insightful theses contrast with his extremely dull s
Alex
Oct 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: humanities
This is a great work of history but I have some caveats. I have very little ill to say about anything actually contained in the volume, it was extremely insightful and as someone trying to develop a Marxist understanding of history it was invaluable work of historical materialism. Wallerstein is phenomenal at developing the concrete relationships and tensions that would drive the leading edge of the ascent of western Europe onto the course that we recognize today. He shows how economic pressures ...more
Med
Sep 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
یک کتاب اصلی و خیلی مهم در خصوص درک و فهم تاریخ سرمایه داری و ریشه های به وجود امدن ساختاری که در حال حاضر جهان مشاهده میکنبم. البته والرشتاین جلدهای دیگری رو هم به این کتاب اضافه کردت که منتظر ترجمه شون هستیم.
Boone Ayala
Wallerstein (in this first volume of an incredibly dense, multivolume work) takes as his unit of analysis not particular states but a "world-system," an economic system that is "larger than any juridically-defined political unit" and view "the basic linkage between the parts of the system [as] economic" (15). This volume is about the emergence of the new, capitalist world system from feudal roots.

In Chapter 1, "The Medieval Prelude," Wallerstein, following RH Hinton, describes a "general crisis
Nachtreich
Nov 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Nell'intenzione di portare lentamente avanti le proprie tesi circa la relazione tra centri e periferie, fa più da revisione sistematica che altro, concentrandosi su fonti secondarie. Tutti i discorsi circa l'Europa come culla del sistema economico mondiale sono intrapresi mettendo a confronto ipotesi, modelli teorici, dati proposti da altri autori e messi a confronto.

Ricca la disponibilità di note a piè di pagina. Necessario far avanti e indietro con altre fonti già che il testo è articolato in
Alejo López Ortiz
Feliz la nación cuyo pueblo no ha olvidado como revelarse
Sofia Pi
Aug 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: politics, sociology
I absolutely loved Wallerstein and his analysis of modern capitalism. I am looking forward to reading the next two volumes.
Emilio Quinto
Jan 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Opera straordinaria. Uno dei più importanti saggi storici del Novecento. Unica pecca: è difficile da reperire in italiano
Alex Willow
Jul 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Excellent
Alex
Feb 12, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: capitalism, history
provides lots of detail about the rise of capitalism in Europe in the "long sixteenth century" (about 1450-1640), as a result of the exploitation of the Americas, Africa, and Asia, as well as the emergence of wage-slavery for the domestic population. also interesting is the connection to the emergence of the strong 'nation-state' and how this was both shaped by, and shaped, early capitalism.

a bit dense, too detail-heavy, and at times boring, so there are probably better books out there about thi
Marlobo ♥ epilogues
Brillante trabajo. A mí, leer a Wallerstein me cambió la manera de ver y entender la historia y, consecuentemente el presente. Sin duda, uno de los grandes innovadores de la historiografía del siglo XX.

Wallerstein habla ya en ese momento nada más y nada menos que de globalización y complejidad, palabras e ideas que tardaría casi 20 años más en ser términos corrientes. Y no sólo lo explica con claridad conceptual es notable, sino también con visión crítica.

Se podrá acordar o no con sus posturas,
Kersplebedeb
Jun 20, 2016 rated it liked it
Really good arguments, however for someone without the historical background knowledge, the level of detail was overwhelming, and in fact distracting. As were the almost unending endnotes. These are quibbles, and say more about me that about the book i am sure. Still, they made it a lot more difficult to read. Add to that the fact that almost all of the sources are secondary sources, and i am left unsure how convinced i should or should not be by the argument.

That said, obviously, a massively im
Tim
Dec 16, 2012 rated it liked it
An interesting theory as to the origins of capitalism, but the writing is pretty atrocious and I'm not sure I follow his reasoning (nor am I sure that he follows his own reasoning) ...more
Laurie Blome
Nov 06, 2016
Emre Sunu
Sep 06, 2014
Rafael Munia
rated it did not like it
Dec 25, 2014

• Ben de Halimce Bedreddinem
  • My Universities
  • The Iron Heel
  • Spaces of Global Capitalism: A Theory of Uneven Geographical Development
  • Crises of Imagination, Crises of Power: Capitalism, Culture and Resistance in a Post-Crash World
  • Hatıran Yeter
  • Indeh: A Story of the Apache Wars
Immanuel Maurice Wallerstein was a scholar of politics, sociologist, historical social scientist, and world-systems analyst. His bimonthly commentaries on world affairs were syndicated.

The Modern World-System (4 books)
  • The Modern World-System II: Mercantilism and the Consolidation of the European World-Economy, 1600-1750 (Studies in Social Discontinuity)
  • The Modern World-System III: The Second Era of Great Expansion of the Capitalist World-Economy, 1730s-1840s (Studies in Social Discontinuity)
  • The Modern World-System IV: Centrist Liberalism Triumphant, 1789–1914