Start by marking “Traitor (A Crown of Lilies)” as Want to Read:
Traitor (A Crown of Lilies)

Traitor

(A Crown of Lilies #1)

First-edition release of the trilogy by fantasy author Melissa Ragland. For individual volumes, please see the listings for "Traitor (Book #1)", "Lazerin (Book #2)", and "Kingslayer (Book #3)". ...more
Paperback
Published April 28th 2020

To ask other readers questions about Traitor, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Traitor

Start your review of Traitor (A Crown of Lilies)
Tony Duxbury
Jul 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An excellent story, very well written, a page-turner. Elivya should have been a boy, so she became a tomboy instead. Stubborn and bloodyminded, she was the bane of her parent's lives. Despite her years of rebellion, at last she had to concede to her parent's wishes. The only heir to a noble bloodline and female at that, she had to ensure the continuation of her noble house. The story takes the reader through her life from a teenager through to a mature woman. There are secrets, revelations, betr ...more
Comhghall McKeating
In Traitor, the first of what promises to be an exciting series, we follow the noble-born Elivya fen Lazerin from her rebellious teens to her equally rebellious, if a little more tempered, twenties. Pugnacious and head-strong, Elivya is fighter, spy, and courtier in one, a fantastic protagonist whose own desires, hopes, dreams tie-in beautifully with a broader theme of duty, love, and faith.

The story is heroic in nature, with a strong flare of romance, perhaps a tad predictable, but Ragland's wo
OldBird
TL;DR: A familiar plot, but told with winning narration and a maturity that's not often seen in indie fantasy. Intelligent and emotional, it challenges you not to be drawn in to this fantastical and complex low fantasy world. A slow-burn to savour.

You know that feeling you get that you've read this story before? I did get a little of that when starting this book. About 30% of the way in, I wondered if I needed to read another story of a high-born girl growing to womanhood, acting the rough-n-tum
S.W. Holt
May 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
From the first moment that I started reading, I was instantly hooked. This is not my usual genre but the story was so well-written with an intelligent voice that I could not put it down. The author takes you along on an emotional journey with the main character Elivya. At the beginning of the book, the author also provides a breakdown of the numerous houses and a map of the territory which was useful in keeping things straight. I am not a fast reader but this took me even longer to read than mos ...more
Beth
May 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In TRAITOR, this first book of a series, the author immediately pulled me—not typically a fan of fantasy—into an irresistibly resplendent world. I could not get enough of the rich visual details and the delightful repartee. What I found particularly compelling was to see this world come to life through the eyes of a strong, beautiful, resilient, warm hearted protagonist.

The unfolding plot combined with complex character development make TRAITOR an unforgettable page turner. The difficult ethica
Lianne Kay
Apr 08, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have rarely had the pleasure of reading something as well-written as this. The author really knows how to write. That honestly is what drew me more than anything. Another reviewer says she has an incredible imagination, and I agree!

This is a tale of a girl who grows into a strong woman. I really really liked Quintin. He was by-far my favorite character. I too felt the romance between the heroine and Adrian was rushed, and so I never really fell in love with his character.

I look forward to seei
Tara Dobeson
Apr 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
From the very start the characters, scenery and pace draw you into a world of vivid imaginings. The plot was utterly incredible with multiple twists and turns to keep you on your toes! The main character resonated with me and I found her to be created so thoroughly that it was like looking in a mirror! I cannot wait for the continuation of this story, the cliff hanger is killing me!
Wonderful story!
Disney
Sep 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful book! I love Elivya’s journey and everything her mother teaches her. Her training is intense and Quintin is a tough teacher but he’s a reliable guard, and probably my favorite character. I really enjoyed going through the ups and downs of Elivya’s love life; it really felt like a real young lady experiencing love for the first time and then finding it again for real later on in life. Overall amazing story and I need to get the sequel!
Paul
Apr 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I liked this book. But to be clear, this is not a happy tale. From the first sentence you know Elivya is in for hard times. There is happiness in it and it's told with love but always with a tinge of sadness. Elivya's destiny was determined for her but the path is of her own choosing. There are reflections and shadows of current political, religious and social world events, all of which affect Elivya in some form or another.

The first three-quarters of the book cover Elivya's life from a young gi
Naethan Pais
Jul 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An intriguing opening leads to a tale full of mysteries, questions and suspense all wrapped up in beautiful, dreamy atmosphere to make up a solid fun read!
Nancy Camtergiani
Although this is a tale of fantasy....the characters are realistic, the settings are well-drawn, and the details well thought out and believable. You get to know the characters and care about them, and want to know what will happen next.
Nita
Jul 29, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Elivya is an engaging, headstrong young woman who gradually draws you into her tale of Court politics and intrigue. This is a fantasy story with real potential and by the end of the book you are eager for the sequel...which is not yet available. It's YA but it's mostly clever and thoughtful and shows genuine character development... despite occasional bouts of teenage angst and self loathing. I received this as a free copy for review....but it is also free to read on Kindle Unlimited....and is c ...more
Tealover
Feb 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2020, ya-fantasy
I never thought I would love it until I finished reading half of it. I thought this would be a short story, and was surprised that it is really long. It's like reading a trilogy. It could be slow read at some point. But there is a character building. I love them all. Elivya is not your idiotic heroine. Yes, she has her pride to the brim, but she is not a damsel trying to be a hero but has to be saved every f****** time. oh, and the twists in the love story. It was a surprise. It is not a Game of ...more
Gayle
Sep 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If your a fan of fantasy and strong female characters this book is for you. I loved it. Written from the main character Elivya’s point of view you follow her journey from adolescence to adult hood while she experiences life’s great highs and lows shaping her in to a complex and multilayered character you can root for. I’d highly recommend this book and I hope it gets the praise and accolades it deserves.
Jo V
Sep 16, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very good read. Was gripping from the first page to the end. Good for people who like to read about strong female characters.
Rochelle E.
It was a long book but I wanted to see how it was going end, especially since there is a traitor. Then, I got to the end only to find out I would have to get the 2nd book to find out how it ends. No, thank you!
°мαggιє°  (っ⚈ᴥ⚈)っ™
I felt that the love match with Adrian was a little too rushed
Gasparde
Mar 19, 2021
Jan 24, 2021
B
Dec 03, 2020

• Glint (The Plated Prisoner, #2)
  • Gild (The Plated Prisoner, #1)
  • A Sharpened Axe
  • The Starless Sea
  • Dragon's Reach (The Keeper Origins, #1)
  • A Deal with the Elf King (Married to Magic, #1)
  • Reclaimed (Shadow Beast Shifters, #2)
  • An Unexpected Find (Silver Falls #1)
  • Threshold of Annihilation (The Firebird Chronicles, #3)
  • To Be Taught, If Fortunate
  • A Dangerous Kind of Lady (Longhope Abbey, #2)
  • The Lost Girls of Devon
  • Year of the Chameleon (Shadowspell Academy, #4)
  • Savage Lands (Savage Lands, #1)
  • The Heir and the Spare
  • The Queen's Crown (Court of Midnight and Deception #3)
  • The Hand on the Wall (Truly Devious, #3)
  • A Storm of Silver and Ash (The Oncoming Storm, #1)
An avid reader, animal lover, and coffee addict, Melissa Ragland grew up in the rural Midwest before moving south to the scorching urban oasis of Austin, Texas. With a degree in fine art quietly gathering dust on the shelf, she prefers to spend all her free time painting pictures with words rather than brushes. Her home is populated by two cats, a dog, and one very patient husband who tolerates he ...more

A Crown of Lilies (2 books)
  • Lazerin (A Crown of Lilies, #2)