Start by marking “Family” as Want to Read:
Family

Family

Family – might be the death of you…
The Glass family business is crime, and they’re good at what they do. Vengeance took Luke Glass behind bars – but now he's free and he's never going back. Luke wants out of the gangster life – all he has to do is convince his family to let him go.

Published January 21st 2021 by Boldwood Books

To ask other readers questions about Family, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Family

Start your review of Family
Sandy *The world could end while I was reading and I would never notice*
EXCERPT: There was no warning. The car left the road, lifted by the force of the blast. Pieces of metal and glass ripped through a bus queue waiting for the 185 to Victoria. In that moment lives were irrevocably changed: people fell to the ground, blood pouring from wounds they hadn't had a second ago; the windscreen of a Vectra coming in the opposite direction shattered, blinding the driver, who lost control and ploughed into a West Indian fruit and veg shop, crushing a teenage assistant at the ...more
Col
Jan 21, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2021, m
Synopsis/blurb....

Family – might be the death of you…

His brother holds the reins of the South London underworld in his brutal hands - nobody tells Danny Glass no and expects to live - not even DCI Oliver Stanford, bent copper and one of the Met's rising
Owen Mullen
Aug 23, 2020 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
The book I was always going to write...
This book was born the moment I stepped off the overnight train at Euston Station, in thrall with the city and looking to find success.
London captured and captivated me with a hold it would never relinquish.
This fascination came together with my love of bad guys and crime fiction when I realised I was not born to play the music that had driven me South, but to write about what lay hidden in my subconscious mind, patiently waiting for the day I'd release
Whispering Stories
Jan 18, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Book Reviewed on www.whisperingstories.com

‘Family’ is the latest novel from the pen of Scottish author, Owen Mullen. We’re introduced to Team Glass; Danny and his younger siblings, Nina and Luke. Danny built up his empire after the death of his alcoholic father and now holds an area south of the River Thames in a vice like grip. The story is told in the past tense and we see some of the action through the eyes of Luke and his sections are written in the first person, with the remainder in the th
Alayne Emmett
Dec 09, 2020 rated it liked it
I didn’t enjoy this as much as I hoped too as I kept on thinking that it wasn’t as good as Martina Cole which I always enjoy and have read a lot of her books. At times I found this book dragged and I was loosing concentration, I struggled through it and was glad to have finished it. My thanks to Netgalley and the publishers for giving me the opportunity to read this book in return for an honest review.
Books 'n' All  Promotions
Jan 01, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Danny Glass is running the dark underworld of South London when his wife and daughter are killed by a bomb attached to their car. His brother, Luke goes in search of the man responsible and makes him pay. After serving 7 years for murder he is released but he wants out of the family business. Danny is not going to let him go easily. Luke and his sister, Nina were looked after by Danny when their father died and it is now payback time, they are expected to spend their lives doing Danny's bidding. ...more
Michelle
Dec 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Family is everything, especially to the Glass family. A south London Gangster family. Which consists of Danny the eldest and the leader and sister Nina and brother Luke who has just came out of Wandsworth prison after 7 years. Who was involved in the death of one of their rivals.
Luke after spending time in prison wants out of the family business. He wants a quite life and not one that is always looking over his shoulder to see if someone is out to get him. He wants to retire and have a quite lif
Vicki - I Love Reading
Dec 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2020
Ohhh my, this book got all the stars from me. What a read!

I really don't know what I was expecting when I dived into this book, but oh my it was better than anything I could have expected. Wow. I loved it.
This was my kind of book, A gritty, thrilling Gangland thriller. I'm not going to compare this book to other authors in this genre because I felt it was just in a class of it's own. I will certainly be watching for future books from this author.
For some people Family is everything, for others
Dee Groocock
Dec 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Danny, Luke and Nina Glass are siblings and Danny, being the eldest has always looked out for them.
With Luke having just been released from prison for killing a rival gang leader, Danny wants him back in the fold but Luke wants out.

This isn’t a story about any old family, this is a story of a gangster family. With bent policemen, rival gangs, torture and murder, this is a book that will keep you on your toes!

I couldn’t put this book down, it kept me engrossed from start to finish. This book is
Teresa Nikolic
Jan 06, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Family – might be the death of you…

The Glass family are a force to be reckoned with, Danny is the eldest and is in charge of the South London underworld, his younger siblings, Luke and Nina, owe him everything after he literally brought them up from a young age, but they both want out. Luke is fresh out of prison after killing rival gangland north London boss, Anderson and he wants to get away from crime, Nina has never got on with Danny and is hatching her own plan to go it alone, but Danny Gla
Alfred Nobile
Jan 19, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: crime, blog-tour
You like crime fiction. You'll love this! ...more
LianaReads blog
Dec 31, 2020 rated it it was amazing
If you are looking for a totally addictive story about what family means and what lines can the members cross to keep them together, this is the best book for it.
I’m blown away by this novel.
Dark, twisted and unpredictable moments kept coming up with each chapter and I was so intrigued by everything that I literally couldn’t stop reading till the last page.
I really hope there will be more books in this world because I need more and the author is a must read for me now.

Very grateful
Judy Odom
Nov 30, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
The Glass family is like no other!

Well outside of the South London mob family that is.

Don't turn your back on any of them, even if you are part of that family.

Luke has served his time and is back in South London with Danny and Nina . No way is he going back to prison and does not really want any part of the underworld.

Yet somehow I cheered Luke on.

Family has it all, murder, corrupt police, secrets and betrayal.

The action is fast , you will cringe, you will cry and you will cheer.

I certainly ho
Sandra
Oct 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
What a BRILLIANT book it grips you from the start and keeps hold.Danny,Luke and Nina Glass are siblings but danny is boss and a vicious one.When Luke Glass leaves Wandsworth prison after serving time he walks out to be met by Nina and determined to avoid danny but for how long.This book is the story a gangster and family and has you guessing whats coming next,i am so glad i have had the chance to review it and have already spread news of it.EXCELLENT and worth more than 5*
Lucy C
Nov 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Family don't mess with the Glass family.

We have Danny head of the Glass's, sister Nina and young brother Luke who is fresh out of prison.

A gritty read full of the underworld of gangland crime and going to war with rivals Anderson and Co.

Family stick together though thick and thin don't they or do they stab you in the back?

I totally loved this from Owen, page turning and gripping throughout.

I hope this is just the beginning.

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Diane
Jan 13, 2021 rated it it was amazing
If you love gangsters and crime thrillers then this is the book for you. I’ve not read any books by this author before so was unsure what to expect. This story is the tale of the Glass family. Danny Glass brought up his younger brother and sister Luke and Nina from a young age. He started off small nicking cigarettes from the local newsagents but was soon running South London. Danny was always an unsteady character but the death of his wife and daughter made him worse. There is so much going on ...more
Cassie Holland
Jan 15, 2021 rated it really liked it
On his release from prison, Luke wants a fresh start but is immediately catapulted back into the family business. Unfortunately that business is tied up with the London gangland. His brother is still behaving in the way he was seven years ago and continues to see any one wanting to move away from the family as a traitor. Bent coppers, lots of violence – a crime dynasty novel.

I received a free copy of this novel from NetGalley in return for an honest review.

Helen
Dec 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I've never read a book by this author before, so I didn't know what to expect. What I got was a gripping page-turner of a read that kept me hooked all the way through!

It starts off a bit slowly, but soon picks up pace, with a few twists and shocks along the way. With rival gangs in London, corrupt police officers, horrendous crimes and justice meted out, this is a story where family means everything and revenge is their number one priority.

It shows the hard, gritty life of a gangster, and as can
Jen
Dec 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I've savoured every minute of this book, making it last. It's one of those that you can't put down but don't want to end!
The characters are so well written, I liked, hated & felt for them.
The ending had me shouting at my kindle!! I'll definitely look out for this brilliant author in the future & am really looking forward to the sequel. Congratulations Owen, on your fantastic book!! A five star read.
Tracy
Oct 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
meet the glass family .Danny Luke Nina . Danny brought his brother and sister up and he never lets them forget it . Luke has just come out of prison for killing rival gang boss for the murder of his sister in law and niece . but the rival gang want s Luke died . meanwhile Luke meets Mandy . Nina hates Danny so much she having her own little scheme that starts to go wrong meet Oliver the most corrupt police detective to get want he wants . but Danny is losing the plot there was one part i had tea ...more
Sue
FAMILY is a gangland thriller featuring the Glass Family, a south London Gangster, a family business that sticks together through good times and bad times, by Scottish author, Owen Mullen. The novel, reminds me of “The Godfather”, with strong ties to gangland feuds, thuds settling old scores or control of territory.

The Glass family business is crime, and they’re good at what they do. The Family consists of Danny the eldest and the leader and sister Nina and brother Luke who has just came out of
Kerry
Jan 21, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Family is an excellent read which has kept me very well entertained over the last few days. Losing myself in a book has always been my favourite hobby but given the state of world at present it’s more needed than ever. Losing myself in a book like Family, which is about as different to my life as you can possibly get (thankfully!), has been good. I know many families are complicated, but to say the Glass family are dysfunctional would be a massive understatement! All they have known is a life of ...more
Liz Mistry
Jan 16, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Family - the very title of this book evokes all sorts of emotions as family can mean all sorts of things to different people. Mullen is a crafts-person with a versatile style that can take us from the streets of Pakistan (Out of the Silence) to the streets of Scotland (Games People Play) t - and now we're walking the streets of London with the Glass family.
With a strong family dynasty behind him, Luke Glass could be forgiven for thinking he could look forward to better times on his release from
Jessica Belmont
Jan 26, 2021 rated it really liked it
Family by Owen Mullen was a compelling, crime novel. This is my first read from this author and certainly won’t be my last.

Family did start off a bit slow, so I read this over a few sittings. However, once it picked up, I became invested. There are lots of twists a long the way. Quite a compelling tale of gangs, corrupt police, and justice.
I enjoyed the characters and the writing. This is a gritty novel, with some gnarly violence that stays true to the themes of this book. The downward spiral of
emmabbooks
Jan 02, 2021 rated it really liked it
Fast paced gangland thriller

Two opposing London gangster families with scores to be settled.

Luke Glass, younger son of the powerful Glass family, comes out of prison and wants to change his life, get away from the family business, and go straight. His sister Nina has life and death personal matters to worry about. Luke’s older brother Danny is intent on keeping Team Glass on track and on top.

As with all of Owen Mullen’s books this thriller starts with drama. Tensions run high throughout and wit
Terry
Jan 30, 2021 rated it it was amazing
I was waiting to review this as I’m waiting to listen to the audiobook but decided no! Review it as it’s too good to not tell you about it.

Crime, gangsters, bent coppers, just the lot to be honest.
As Owen Mullen does, well written & depth.
Read it well worth it!
Melanie Lewis
Jan 05, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Is there any genre Owen Mullen can't write? I've read everything he's written and every single time he blows me away. It's not just the variety of concepts, it's also the brilliance of their execution. This gangland book, set in London, is not for the feint hearted. Some terrible and inhumane acts take place. But the evolving story of Danny, Luke and Nina was heart in your mouth, scary stuff. As for the twist, well I never saw that coming. Gripping, captivating, with superb characters and excell ...more
Phil Leader
Dec 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed
Nobody mugs off Danny Glass.

The Glass family are feared throughout South London, Danny Glass in particular isn't shy of violence to get his way, and he always gets his way. Younger brother Luke emerges from prison after he is involved in the death of their main rival, Anderson, determined to break from the family firm and go straight. Their sister Nina is sympathetic but Danny wants Luke back on Team Glass and with Anderson's son out for revenge it seems walking away isn't going to be an option.
MoMo
Dec 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is a fast paced powerful gritty thrilling read. Be prepared to read in a single sitting! Once I started I couldn't stop reading although I also didn't want it to end. Already desperate for part two, which I hope is coming soon.

This book had everything you would look for in a Gangland Thriller. There are murders, bent Police Officers, rival crime families who are out for revenge and unexpected twists and surprises along the way. Brilliant!

I have read everything this author has published to d
Martha Brindley
Dec 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I have to admit, this is one of the best gangster books I have read and Owen Mullen is up there with the best authors of the genre. Meet the Glass family, you will be wishing you had never heard of them! The book gripped me right from the start and it never let go until the twist at the end. It has plenty action, some likeable characters and an interesting plot. Please write a sequel Owen! Thanks to Net Galley for my ARC.
« previous 1 3 next »

• Bad Girls
  • Outcast
  • The Reprisal
  • Blood Brothers: A gritty, unforgettable gangland thriller from bestseller Heather Atkinson (Gallowburn Series Book 1)
  • Takedown: You can't blag a blagger (Blagger's Code Book 3)
  • Liverpool Loyalty
  • Rejects (The Cardigan Estate Book 5)
  • Dirty Tricks: A gripping crime thriller filled with shocking twists (Big Mo Series Book 1)
  • An Old Score (Retribution, #1)
  • The Manor: The Enemy Is Close To Home In This Gritty Gangland Thriller From Top Five Bestseller Jessie Keane
  • Revenge (The Cardigan Estate Book 1)
  • Riddles (The Cardigan Estate Book 6)
  • Rivalry (The Cardigan Estate Book 4)
  • The Angels
  • Reprisal (The Cardigan Estate Book 2)
  • Witness
  • No Fear
  • Villain: A heart-stopping addictive crime thriller that you won't be able to put down
Bestselling author Owen Mullen is a McIlvanney Crime Book Of The Year long-listed novelist.

Owen Mullen graduated from Strathclyde University, moved to London and worked as a rock musician, session singer and songwriter, and had a hit record in Japan with a band he refuses to name; Owen still loves to perform on occasion. His great love for travel has taken him on many adventures from the Amazon an