Start by marking “Of Myth and Monster” as Want to Read:
Of Myth and Monster

Of Myth and Monster

ARE YOU READY TO LEARN THE TRUTH BEHIND THE MYTHS? ARE YOU READY TO SEE WHAT’S LURKING IN THE SHADOWS?

Noah’s friend, Caitlin DeWinter, is destined to find the Key of Etna, and she’s determined to meet her destiny sooner rather than later, even if there is a sphinx guarding it.

There’s a monstrosity lurking in the streets of Hestia’s polis. The magical pest control units ha
Kindle Edition
Published September 12th 2020

To ask other readers questions about Of Myth and Monster, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Of Myth and Monster

Start your review of Of Myth and Monster
R.M. Archer
I'll post a full review closer to the release date, but this is the best PFW anthology yet! I loved every one of the stories. ^-^

FULL REVIEW
PFW is releasing another anthology, so you know I jumped on it. I'm super thankful to have gotten another of their ARCs, and this one is quite possibly my favorite yet. It's definitely their best anthology yet, and if they keep improving their quality at this rate I'm going to have to create a six-star rating or something. XD Anyway, into the actual review.
Nate Philbrick
Oct 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
It’s about time I said a thing or two about this book. As a participating author, it’s easy for me to say how good it is, slap on a five-star review, and call it a day. But trust me...I’m not afraid to be objective in my reviews regardless of any personal involvement. Am I head-over-heels for every single story? No. There’s a wide variety of styles and tones here, and some match my personal tastes more than others. That’s just how anthologies work. Would I give each story five stars on its own m ...more
Danielle
Nov 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: self-published
This collection of short stories was an absolute joy to read! The worlds and creatures so exotic, vivid, and ethereal, the themes heartfelt, passionate, and true - I loved discovering each and every one, seeing where the adventure would lead. So many stories had such excellent world building, I was sad I was reading only a short story and longed to have a novel or even a series of stories based within these fantastical countries! I was enthralled by the transcendent alebrije in “Mistakes Were Ma ...more
Deborah O'Carroll
My mini reviews of all the stories in this delightful collection!

Mistakes Were Made (by Hannah Heath)

What a delightful rollick! XD This one was so much fun and just such a wacky, amusing adventure. I especially loved the voice of this one -- such character! -- and the strong cultural flavor was neat. It's probably one of the most unique short stories I've ever read. Such colorful sci-fi! Marvelous!

The Boy Who Listened (by Kyle Robert Shultz)

Full disclosure: I copyedited this short story, but my
Laura Grace
Sep 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
VIDEO REVIEW HERE: https://youtu.be/xJyOndBKc6M

What a great anthology!

I'm unsure of what to fully say as many of these stories were deeply moving, though one was quite humorous in a few places!

I guess I should start with saying that I came in with high expectations concerning this anthology. I DEEPLY enjoyed Strange Waters and I can say that these stories went above and beyond my said expectations! I'm only sad it took me a little longer to finish reading the anthology, but a few of these stor
Kyle
Sep 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: anthologies
Full disclosure before we begin: I had the honor of contributing a story called "The Boy Who Listened" to this anthology. However, I'd like to also briefly share my thoughts on the other wonderful entries from my fellow Phoenix Fiction Authors.

Mistakes Were Made: Yet another very fun story from Hannah Heath with all the trademarks that make her fiction special--protagonists who break the usual molds, a deep and fascinating storyworld that blends elements of fantasy and sci-fi, and a gripping plo
Joseph Leskey
Sep 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: just about anybody
Pursuant to my discovery that the contents and structure of this anthology are at the uttermost degree of spiffing, I wish very much to let my distinct favor and accolade for the stories in this anthology to be known. For lack of better ideas, I give here a spattering of potentially paltry comments for each story. They are designed to be vague and somewhat unhelpful, such as is desirable for not spoiling anything.

This anthology starts with Mistakes Were Made, which explores two very different pe
Erin Dydek
Sep 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
What exactly is in the water over there at Phoenix Fiction headquarters? Oh, wait, that was last year's anthology, and Strange Waters did not disappoint! But another year has come and gone, and another excellent collaboration has been created. Of Myth and Monster is a collection of emotionally driven stories that dig deep into thought-provoking topics and display the genuine quality of what indie authors can produce. As someone who's been reading primarily indie books for the last year, I can te ...more
Mary Emma Sivils
Dec 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Such an interesting collection of stories! Even though I typically prefer novels over short stories, it was so fun to hop from one intriguing world to another in a small amount of time.
I think what impressed me most about this anthology was how different each story was from the others. There were hilarious moments and heartbreaking moments, and plenty of imagination throughout. Not every story stuck with me as much as others, but each one held my attention.
I won't go into detail about each story
Katelyn Buxton
Oct 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Mistakes Were Made
Hannah Heath

This psychedelic adventure follows a Cs-get-degrees college student and her seemingly uptight best friend as they track down the alebrije that stole his homework. The tone is fun, but also painfully familiar to college students who have ever slid in an assignment just before it was due. I liked not only the fact that the hero of the adventure regularly trips over her own feet (c’est moi), but also that she had diabetes. Anyone can be a hero—even someone that wouldn’
Julia Garcia
Sep 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
To be honest, I've been looking forward to this newest anthology from the Phoenix Fiction Writers since finishing the one they put out last year (2019).
I was fortunate enough to have an ARC copy show up in my inbox so I could read it early and I'm immensely thankful because I could hardly wait.

Here are my non-spoilery thoughts on the stories.

1. "Mistakes Were Made" by Hannah Heath
This story was lots of fun, featured colorful monsters and posed some very deep questions. And Guillerma is back w
J.E.
Aug 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
If you want a fuller review of this anthology you can find it on my website: http://www.jillanepurrazzi.com/non-fi...

Where to even start with this book. I might be incredibly biased because I am a member of the Phoenix Fiction Writers, but I refuse to believe that these authors are anything but incredibly talented and creative. This anthology ranges all over the board with inspiration and theme, while flying to the heights of lighthearted comedy and delving into the depths of grief and facing on
C.O. Bonham
Of Myth and Monster, like all anthologies, is a mixed bag of styles and themes. For the most every story in here has something to do with a monster, a myth or a monster from myth.

Some of the stories are dark some are light and humorous and some fall in between. There are all kinds of myths and monsters represented, Greek, Roman, Celtic. The settings are equally varied from Pirates to a sci-fi retelling of Homer's Odyssey.

My favorite was "The Boy Who Listened," by Kyle Robert Shultz. It takes pl
Azelyn Klein
I received an ARC in exchange for my honest review. All opinions are my own.

This story is my favorite. No, this one! No… Argh! I like them all!

I always get excited when the Phoenix Fiction Writers come out with something new, whether it be an anthology or a book by an individual author. The only problem is, they often come out with stuff so fast that I can’t keep up! Which means there’s plenty to read of course, and my TBR will never be sad.

Of the authors who are a part of PFW, I am most familia
Janelle Garrett
Nov 25, 2020 rated it really liked it
I love anthologies. I love that I can curl up with a good story and be through start to finish in thirty minutes. The Phoenix Fiction Writers do anthologies really well. They are a collection of spec-fic writers who write mostly clean stories (I'm a member, but did not participate in this anthology due to extenuating circumstances) and tackle themes that most authors shy away from. This anthology, as its name suggests, centers around myths and magical beasts. I've given short reviews below, in n ...more
Hannah Heath
Are you a fan of unlikely friends? How about gruff heroes? Nerdy monks? Magic and an epic fantasy backdrop?

You're in luck! Deck Matthew's The Staff of Callewhyr has all of those things.

What I loved:
~ Renlyn. He's a very nerdy monk who just wants to study ancient mythology and isn't super keen on adventures. I love him.
~ Arnak. A stoic, gruff warrior with a secret? Yes, please!
~ The friendship. Renlyn and Arnak definitely don't have a lot in common, and yet they are somehow the perfect pair.
E.B. Dawson
Sep 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
"Alebrije are the least profitable magical creatures in this corner of the galaxy. You can’t use their hide for boots like chupacabra, you can’t harness their duende like Chaneques, and you can’t squeeze heavy labor out of them like Quinametzin. Alebrije exist only to be pretty and way chido, which means most people are stupid enough to think they aren’t worth chasing after."

If you know anything about the Phoenix Fiction Writers, you ought to know that we think outside the box. This collection o
C. Frank
Sep 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
This book is a special piece of literature. I'm pretty biased because, well, as a member of PFW, I absolutely love everything these authors do. They're all unbelievably talented, and getting to read their work is always a treasure.

That said, here are a few standouts from Of Myth and Monster that I'll briefly touch on (and update as I have more thoughts).

- Mistakes Were Made, by Hannah Heath.

Fun. This piece was just bundles of fun. I loved the characters—Hannah crafted vibrant characters that wer
Deck
Sep 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
I feel compelled to start with full disclosure: Of Myth and Monster is an anthology containing one of my own stories, “The Staff of Callewhyr.” As such, I must acknowledge that I may have a distinct bias. But, that’s all I’ll say about my own story because this anthology is fantastic.

The breadth of stories in this collection is truly remarkable, ranging from the comically self-aware to the intimately poignant.

Of particular interest is Grace Crandall’s delightful tale, “Lamp of Silver,” a tale o
Beth Wangler
Sep 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
I had the great honor to be one of the authors in this anthology—and I mean that in the truest sense of the word "honor." The passion, creativity, cleverness, and heart each author put into their entry is beautiful and inspiring. Every single story moved me in some way, whether it was to laughter, contemplation, or tears. By the end of reading the anthology, I found myself strengthened to hope and persevere despite how difficult life has been.

Of all of these stories, J.E. Purrazzi's "Eyes of the
oncedarkness
Sep 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
Another great and varied anthology from the Phoenix Fiction writers.

Mistakes Were Made:
If anyone is familiar with Hannah Heath’s previous space opera, it’s not a surprise to say this story is full of funny moments, snarky characters, and excellent worldbuilding. I enjoyed the seemingly unlikely friendship between Guillerma and Mundo and the exploration into their motivations, and maybe in a broader sense, the impetus for the reader to think about what has shaped and motivated them.

The Boy Who Li
Kelly Harig
Sep 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
Another awesome anthology from PFW. At least for me, this one was the most interesting because all of the creative monsters and retold myths. It was really neat seeing the different takes each author had on fantastic creatures. There's a pretty big emotional range in these stories, from ridiculous comedies to tearjerkers. And yet, they blend really well together, probably because these authors all know how to write stories with heart. Although I didn't connect with every single story in this ant ...more
Jenna
Sep 21, 2020 rated it really liked it
Review to come...
Michael Lee
Sep 30, 2020 rated it really liked it
Wow, this was a really interesting, in how all of these stories are separate, yet they link together very well. I really enjoyed reading this anthology, so I'll jump in to reviewing each story.

Mistakes Were Made
Hannah Heath did a fantastic job with this one. One word to describe it would be, comfortable. It just feels so pleasant to read, with the worldbuilding seeming to exist beyond what we were shown. While the focus of this is the characters, the worldbuilding is fascinating, and the plot is
Grace T
Dec 31, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I LOVE THESE STORIES SO MUCH

I know I loved the Strange Waters anthology BUT I THINK I LOVE THIS ONE MORE HOW DO THEY KEEP COMING OUT WITH BETTER AND BETTER STORIES

I cried multiple times (Wangler and Shultz for sure, though probably others--I'd have to look at the contents again to see) and I want to get this in hard-copy eventually.
Alexis Johnson
Feb 12, 2021 rated it it was amazing
A fantastic collection! I highly recommend supporting these bright and talented authors!
Renee Metzler

• Ahab
  • Watson and Holmes
  • Steward Stories
  • An Echo of the Fae
  • The Beast of Talesend (Beaumont and Beasley, #1)
  • Strange Waters
  • The Drum Symbol
  • The Riven Realm - Volume 1 (The Riven Realm - Collected Editions)
  • From Scratch: A Memoir of Love, Sicily, and Finding Home
  • The Homeward Bounders
  • Heartbreaker (Heartmender #2)
  • Souji (Tales of the Shinsengumi, #1)
  • Finders Keepers (Jane Barnaby Adventures #1)
  • The Love Quest of Smidgen: The Snack Cake
  • Appalling Stories 4: Even More Appalling Tales of Social Injustice
  • Howl’s Moving Castle (Howl’s Moving Castle, #1)
  • Reborn (Supervillain Rehabilitation Project Book 3)
Hi friend!

My name is Hannah Heath, and I write Christian Speculative Fiction like you've never seen before.

A bold statement, I know, but that's me. I believe in going big or going home. And, in case you can't tell from my neon hair or brightly-colored logo, I'm also a highly unconventional person. After all: A Christian in love with sarcasm and dark stories? An author whose hands hurt every time