Start by marking “Faith Alone: The Evangelical Doctrine of Justification” as Want to Read:
Faith Alone: The Evangelical Doctrine of Justification

Faith Alone: The Evangelical Doctrine of Justification

Saving faith justifies sinful humans before God, say the New Testament and historic Protestant teaching. And justifying faith, a work of God's grace and individual merit, gives saving faith, adds the Roman Catholic Church. "No." shout Martin Luther and his theological descendants. "Christians are justified by faith through God's mercy alone. To add our merit to God's grace ...more
Published February 1st 1999 by Baker Books (first published 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Faith Alone, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Faith Alone

Start your review of Faith Alone: The Evangelical Doctrine of Justification
Atchisson
Feb 01, 2008 rated it liked it
Being born and raised a Catholic, I barely learned enough about my OWN faith. This was a really fascinating introduction to the basic tenant of Protestant faith.
Randy
Aug 05, 2011 rated it it was amazing
There has always been diversity within Evangelicalism, but also a bedrock of core beliefs, namely sola scriptura (scripture alone) and sola fide (justification by faith alone), that have united us. In recent decades, however, there has been a seismic shift. A recent article in my Reformed denomination's magazine discussed whether the Reformation was even necessary. Nowhere in the lengthy article was sola fide (faith alone) even mentioned, much less discussed. The impression clearly given by this ...more
Brenda
Jan 27, 2019 rated it liked it
I hate to give only three stars to anything written by Sproul, but this one didn't really grab me. It's primarily a response to "Evagelicals and Catholics Together," so there was a lot of discussion of history and councils. It just wasn't the angle I wanted on the subject of "Sola Fide."
Hank Pharis
Oct 19, 2017 rated it liked it
I listened to this and found it so helpful that I then immediately read it. A very fair analysis of the differences between Protestants and Catholics regarding justification by faith. Some examples:

"Again Rome has always insisted that faith is a necessary condition for justification. What they denied historically is that is a sufficient condition. The Reformation was waged, not over the question of justification by faith, but over the issue of justification by faith alone. It was the sola or sol
Christopher M.
Jul 25, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An excellent response to "Evangelicals and Catholics Together." As usual, Sproul is straight-forward as he cuts to the single most foundational element of Christianity.
Marguerite Harrell
May 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
It is a very tough book to read but very educational too! It also talks about ECT (Evangelicals and Catholics Together). It is important about Faith Alone! Alone is an important word that we can’t leave out!
Jason
Jan 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book does a great job of establishing the Protestant view on Justification, comparing and contrasting it with the Roman Catholic view and other divergent views within the Christian faith. As always, I appreciate Sproul’s clear way of laying everything out and how he draws his conclusions.
Mark Lickliter
Mar 13, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Clearly articulates the central issues of the debate.
Jason
Oct 23, 2009 rated it it was amazing
This book is a solid exposition of salvation, the Christian doctrine of justification, from a leading Reformed thinker. In the early 1990’s, a group of Catholic and Protestant thinkers and theologians, motivated to come together by their common social concerns in the West, published the statement Evangelicals and Catholics together, in an attempt to come to a common understanding about what they were talking about concerning justification. Sproul uses the language of that statement to criticize ...more
Brent McCulley
Nov 06, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: theology
I really refreshing look into the doctrine of justification by faith alone, R.C. Sproul, writing in a reactionary defense to the then recently signed ECT (Evangelicals and Catholics Together, circa 1994) document, does a great job at outlining the history of the doctrine, as well as highlight contradistinctions between classic Reformed views, and the Roman Catholic view.

The book especially was fun to read given the historicity of much of the content, as Sproul goes through a brief overview of th
Nathan Graham
Feb 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
To believe any gospel other than the true gospel is to believe in a Jesus other than the true Jesus. The reformation is as important today as it was back then.
Jesson
Aug 18, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was informative and entertaining at the same time. Sproul aimed to address the rise of ecumenism which aims to unite evangelicals with Catholics. Sproul's main premise is that this cannot happen because if (a) evangelicals and the Catholic Church disagree on the doctrine of sola fide (faith alone), and (b) the doctrine of faith alone is central to the gospel, then (c) evangelicals and the Catholic Church cannot unite because each group preaches a different gospel. The first chapter tal ...more
Erika Schanzenbach
Nov 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, theology
I found this book to be good and helpful. It proved to be an understandable treatment of this important doctrine for a layperson. Though, Sproul's vocabulary is perhaps initially intimidating to someone who is unaccustomed to using words like "vitiates" and "condign" in regular conversation, if read with a dictionary handy, it really is quite clear. Considering that it is a study of carefully argued historic doctrine, one could hardly expect him to use inexact language.

The first couple of chapte
Noel Adams
Dec 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
"Does saving faith require a trust in the righteousness of Christ alone as the grounds of our justification? Or may a person have a different view of the gospel and still be a Christian?" Mmmm...good question. Thus opens Dr. RC Sproul's excellent book on sola fide, the doctrine of salvation by faith alone. Sproul is graciously and firmly precise about what scripture really says. To reject this doctrine is to change the gospel and invite the curse of the first chapter of Galatians.

Not everyone n
Samuel Cowan
May 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
With the anniversary of the Reformation coming up later this year and after being at Men who Rocked the World Convention with Dr Steven Lawson. I was challenged to read once again about the Reformers and why the Reformation took place. I decided to read Dr Sproul's book Justification Alone.
I was really challenged why reading this book.
I did find at times that sections of the book where difficult to read as I was reading some of the points for the first time. I did however listen to Dr Sproul on
Lawrence
Oct 12, 2009 rated it it was amazing
This is a MUST READ if you have wondered what the main difference is between Roman Catholocism and Protestantism. What was the Protestant Reformation all about? What is THE essential doctrine of Biblical Christianity that divides Rome and her dissidents? Why is the modern ecumenical movement so dangerous? Why did Luther's 95 theses result in such a schism? Heavy duty reading, and a much needed intellectual kick in the head to the mega-church culture.
Mack Hayden
Aug 14, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: religion
Hit and miss. If 'sola fide' could be built up as a doctrine solely from the historic confessions and the writings of Luther & Calvin, Sproul has written the greatest book of the bunch. Unfortunately, it leaves a lot to be desired exegetically; scripture seems to be unknowingly ignored for most of the book. Still, the chapter on what constitutes saving faith is, itself, worth purchasing and reading the book for. ...more
Matt Crawford
Jul 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
This book explains every reason why I'm going for a Masters in church history. Most books by members of the refund movement concentrate on those like Spurgeon Edwards and Calvin. But I am and it seems like he sparked the Reformation gets left out. Here Luther and Calvin are exchanging ideas from what would form movement since. I want to be a writer and the funny thing is I voice said I want to write a book that is exactly what this book is!
Andrew Wolgemuth
Aug 07, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: faith, audio
Prompted by the Evangelical and Catholics Together document of the mid-90s, Sproul looks at the fundamental, foundational difference in Evangelical and Catholic theology: the doctrine of salvation. By way of context, both Evangelical and Catholics Together and the Reformation are examined, setting the stage for a detailed, in-depth treatment of justification by grace alone, through faith alone.

(full disclosure: the agency I work for represent this author and book)
Jonathan Maikell
Sep 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Interesting book that explores the differences today between evangelicals compared to Catholics. The main point of the book is exploring the recent document evangelicals and catholics together. In this document sola fide is reduced and pushed to the side. This book explores is that correct, is sola fide a secondary concern of critical to the gospel.

As is typical for R.C. Sproul the book is well written and well argued.
Noel Burke
Nov 15, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a good listen. Kind of neat that I listened to this over the 500th anniversary of the reformation in October. I really like Sproul. He brings seminary level understanding to lay people. I will admit that a few small sections in this book were a bit technical, but nothing that the lay person could not listen to and benefit from. It is worth your time to go through to understand the doctrine of faith alone.
Carl Hurst
Feb 13, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: r-c-sproul
WOW ! I love this guy and this book. All I can say is that R.C. Sproul ROCKS! He's the best reformed teacher alive. He never teaches above people yet all his teachings are action packed full of theological terminologies that would easily go right over most peoples heads. He is a true teacher. Love Love Love Him!
Jacob Aitken
Decent primer on the issues, though this is not intended to be a full text. It is Sproul's own response to the then-current ECT proposals. Does a nice job in showing how neither Rome nor Geneva has officially changed their views on justifications, this giving the lie to the claim "We are really close today."
Andrew Roycroft
Nov 07, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a clear minded treatment of sola fide, which manages to present the biblical/historical basis for the doctrine in fairly accessible terms, while not broad brushing some of the more complex aspects of the doctrine. Sproul's handling of ECT is very candid and helpful, and I greatly valued his excursus on the nature of saving faith. Highly recommended.
Eric
May 28, 2009 rated it really liked it
Helped me understand what Luther really fought for. Sola fide!
Matt
Jul 20, 2009 rated it it was ok
Really good in parts, but misleading. See my article Is R. C. Sproul Wrong About Martin Luther, JETS, 2004 for a full critique. If your on my blog just click the link under What I've Published.
Bob Ladwig
Dec 13, 2010 rated it really liked it
Great book, I would espescially recommend it to a young believer for understanding not only of the doctrine of justification but his/her theological roots.
Molly
Dec 31, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: spiritual-growth
RC Sproul neither waters down, nor speaks in terms too far above me. Has been a great help to me in trying to understand the great divide between Catholicism and Protestantism
Billy
Feb 15, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: calvinism
A Reformed view on Faith Alone.
Victor Chininin
Jul 30, 2013 rated it really liked it
An excellent book showing the gospel and the counterfeit gospel of Roman Catholicism. A good analysis and explanation of differences and a great exhortation to preach the gospel.

• On Reading Well: Finding the Good Life Through Great Books
  • All of Grace
  • Gentle and Lowly: The Heart of Christ for Sinners and Sufferers
  • A Little Book on the Christian Life
  • Does God Care How We Worship?
  • Discipling: How to Help Others Follow Jesus
  • Sanctification: God's Passion for His People
  • Evangelism & the Sovereignty of God
  • Follow Me: A Call to Die. A Call to Live.
  • Prayer: Experiencing Awe and Intimacy with God
  • Don't Waste Your Life
  • Miracles
  • Humility: The Journey Toward Holiness
  • Coronavirus and Christ
  • God, Greed, and the (Prosperity) Gospel: How Truth Overwhelms a Life Built on Lies
  • The Soul Winner (Updated Edition): How to Lead Sinners to the Saviour
  • Can We Trust the Gospels?
  • Mere Calvinism

Dr. R.C. Sproul (1939–2017) was founder of Ligonier Ministries, an international Christian discipleship organization located near Orlando, Fla. He was founding pastor of Saint Andrew’s Chapel in Sanford, Fla., first president of Reformation Bible College, and executive editor of Tabletalk magazine.

Ligonier Ministries began in 1971 as the Ligonier Valley Study Center in Ligonier, Pa. In an effort t

News & Interviews