Start by marking “Heroes Die Young” as Want to Read:
Heroes Die Young

Read Excerpt

Heroes Die Young

(Aston West #1)

A derelict freighter abandoned in outer space is too much for space pirate Aston West to pass up and he can't fight the urge to pilfer its valuable cache of illegal weapons. However, the ship's one last occupant has other ideas and fights to maintain her hold on the weaponry. After attack craft return to finish the ship off, Aston has no choice but to save her from certain ...more
Published September 1st 2008 by Champagne Books

To ask other readers questions about Heroes Die Young, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Heroes Die Young

Start your review of Heroes Die Young
Ed
Jan 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Must read book

Great book, had a hard time putting it down. Heard about the author st a Comic convention. Can't wait to get the next book in the series.
Brit Blaise
May 12, 2009 rated it really liked it
Aston West is a reluctant hero, in the vein of Hans Solo, ruggedly handsome and an intergalactic chick magnet. At first he a appears shallow and self-serving, but bit by bit the layers of his wounded-bad-boy psyche are peeled away until the reader realizes that this is a man you want to standing beside in a fight, a man who can get the job done.

In the course of his trade, scavenging, Aston errantly runs amok of the fatally conflicted political aspirations of two planets and isn’t sure who
Patrick
Jul 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This space pirate...ahem, excuse me. This scavenger has quickly become one of my favorite literary characters of recent. Very real, very relatable. Hunter does a tremendous job of presenting the story in a future universe that could come about. Well-paced action coupled with believable characters make this book a must-read.
Robert Collins
Aug 18, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
This is a nice, tight little SF novel. Aston West is a scavenging spaceship pilot who, while on a routine cargo run, gets caught up in a tricky political struggle between two worlds. It reads quickly and is paced well.
Selena Lang
Nov 18, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
This was a pretty good short story. fast paced, but short on the character - not well fleshed out. worth reading though.
T.K. Toppin
Aug 01, 2010 rated it really liked it
Just a little disappointed that it ended too quickly. Really enjoyed this book. The pace was quick, the action just right and the story just kept moving nicely.
Joyce Scarbrough
Jul 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I read this book with a sense of dread from the beginning, because I could tell from the size of the book that it wasn't going to take me nearly as far into the life of the main character--Aston West--as I wanted to go. Aston is such an engaging guy who keeps getting heroism dropped into his lap no matter how hard he tries to avoid it, and although he does his best to convince us that he's a cad, his true character shows through in everything he does.

Heroes Die Young is a fast-paced
L.T. Getty
Jul 10, 2012 rated it really liked it
A Fun Space Romp

This is classified as Space Opera - I'd consider it a hybrid of Star Trek and Star Wars, following a sort of anti or reluctant hero just out to make ends meet. I'm not 100% familiar with this genre, but this is well-written and mostly fun, easy read. My main complaint is that due to the length, it feels like we were just getting into the world and the story ended. Fortunately, if you like this sort of thing, there's more stories where it came from. I could have done w
Erin
Nov 23, 2011 rated it liked it
I received a free copy as part of the Goodreads First Read Giveaway. It arrived in the mail today and I am excited to read it.

While sci-fi isn't really my scene, I thought this novel was well written. The characters were well developed and the plot had some nice twists. At times I was reminded of Star Wars and Star Trek (but in a good way). The main character, Aston West, was just trying to make a living. But, when he realizes that his actions could lead to numerous deaths, he did the right thi
Lyndon
Jun 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent introduction to the world of Aston West. A space pirate, smuggler, but ultimately an "EveryMan" who follows his moral compass despite the predicaments that personal sense of honor lands him in. Recommended for lovers of space opera and sci-fi adventure.
Laurel
Mar 29, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
I once again really enjoyed my trip into the Aston West universe. Deceptively complex, Heroes Die Young does not disappoint in action and intrigue. Aston once again gets caught in the crossfire of events that leave him wishing to preserve his hide - understandably. A great space romp.
Cary Caffrey
Dec 03, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Action, suspense and thrills (in space!). T.M. Hunter delivers an excellent read with this action-adventure. Aston West is a great new swashbuckling hero, deserving of a lengthy series.

Fun and thoroughly entertaining!
Sweetpea
Nov 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I received a free copy of this book from the GoodReads First Reads program in exchange for an honest review. A well written, fast-paced science fiction novel, great main character. Enjoyable read, would recommend to fans of this genre.
Eric Johnson
Aug 29, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I've gotten into T.M. Hunter's through Ray Gun Revival, and intrigued at the whole universe he created. Great work!
Bill VanderGiesen
Definitely a novella at best. Just needs more detail, more....everything. General plot was ok, but just didn't care enough about the character by the end of the work.
Paul Prestidge
Brian
Dec 27, 2013
Mervi
May 11, 2013

• Small Favor (The Dresden Files, #10)
  • Voices of the Fall (Black Tide Rising)
T. M. Hunter has always had a fascination with travel to other worlds, earning a B. S. in Aerospace Engineering from the University of Kansas. His works have often been compared to the great pulp writers of the past, which made his multiple appearances in RAY GUN REVIVAL seem almost destined. He mainly writes in his Aston West universe, with three novels in the series (HEROES DIE YOUNG, FRIENDS IN ...more

Aston West (4 books)
  • Friends in Deed (Aston West #2)
  • Death Brings Victory (Aston West #3)
  • All Good Things (Aston West #4)