Start by marking “Shield of the Rising Sun (Path of Nemesis #3)” as Want to Read:
Shield of the Rising Sun (Path of Nemesis #3)

Shield of the Rising Sun

(Path of Nemesis #3)

War still rages at the edge of empire while centurion Albinus Silus fights at its beating heart.

Gone is the boy who joined the legions. What remains is a man torn apart by the savagery of battle, the heartache of lost love.

He does not know what became of his wife, and now he must balance being both a soldier and a father.

And yet, for all his pain, he shall have to endure
Kindle Edition
Published August 27th 2020 by Lume Books

To ask other readers questions about Shield of the Rising Sun, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shield of the Rising Sun

Start your review of Shield of the Rising Sun (Path of Nemesis #3)
Clemens Schoonderwoert
Sep 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This amazing novel is the 3rd and final outing of the Centurion's Son, Albinus Silus, from the author, Adam Lofthouse.

It has been another superb Roman tale, and one that does this trilogy about Albinus end on a supremely high note.

It's certainly a story with a soul, and where all human emotions come to the forefront, from life and death, to love and respect, hate and comradeship, and last but not least joy and sadness about life as a husband and father for Albinus Silus.

Story-telling is once mor
Paul Bennett
Sep 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
BLURB

And yet, for all his pain, he shall have to endure more than he ever thought he could. His valour in the northern wars has not gone unnoticed, and now he is to be given a s
Jane
Feb 18, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Third volume of the trilogy about Albinus Silus; I consider it the best of the three. Very enthralling all the way through. I feel the author has matured somewhat in his writing, compared with the earlier volumes. Mr. Lofthouse, please tone down the profanity and find synonyms for the okay's. I lost count of them. Amid the battles, intrigue, and foiling the attempted usurpation of the Roman throne, what really stood out for me were the characterizations and the themes of friendship, loyalty, and ...more
Di Paterson
Aug 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Wow! This is the third in a series, of which I haven't read the previous novels, yet, but it stands alone. Reading the first two will put some of the emotions into perspective and expand on some of the backstory, but ultimately it's about the father/son relationship and how it impacts the life choices and actions of three generations of Roman soldiers.
The action is fast-paced, with vivid battle scenes mingling with gentler scenes of friendship and love, showing the value of honour and courage a
Richard Myers
Sep 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful book

In this book Albinus Silus and his son Faustus seem to never be in the same place at the same time. The generals are fighting about who will be Emperor and Caesar and Silus and Faustus are right in the middle of the action.
David Baird
Aug 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
What a beautifully heart pulverising read! You’d be forgiven for assuming this tale followed on from the last instalment, same style, same pace.. wrong…it flows on but the style is different..It’s a thousand times better if that’s even possible since I’ve loved every book in the series.

I had high expectations based on previous offerings from the author but what a real treat they gave me this time… it’s not just the story of Albinus Silus.. It’s the story of Licina, Calvus, Habitus and so many mo
Joe Singleton
Aug 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Although this is the third book in the Path Of Nemesis series, it is the first book that I have read by Adam Lofthouse. I did not feel like I had missed anything out by jumping straight in at book 3 but I will definitely be taking time to read the first 2 books and other works from Adam.

I loved this book and in my mind he can rightly take his place alongside the other greats of this genre such as Bernard Cornwell and Conn Iggulden. In my opinion Adam actually takes this genre to another level as
Helliondeadwoman
Aug 27, 2020 rated it really liked it
This is the third and final book in the Path of Nemesis series by Adam Lofthouse, while I feel like you could most definitely jump into this book without having read the previous two you would be doing yourself a disservice by doing so. While a general recap is offered for major events, I feel like you would be missing some great details to help with understanding of the story and well as just robbing yourself of some fantastic historical fiction.

The series and of course this book focus on a mem
Amina Kara
Aug 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Wow, that was another historical fiction book that I thoroughly enjoyed!

It was so well written and I loved the descriptions of Roman era and the battles that went on! The descriptive writing style really made it easy to picture the scenes.

I really enjoyed the fact that we got to read the story from three different characters' perspectives. The three main characters being Albinus, Faustus and Calvus. Despite the three different perspectives, the story flowed freely and was easy to follow.

Going
Helen
Aug 29, 2020 rated it really liked it
While the so-called “Swords and Sandals” genre isn’t one that I would normally choose, I really enjoyed this book and its tale of 3 generations of Roman soldiers. It’s a bloody, brutal book, as befits its setting, but it’s also very emotional and believable in the relationships between the characters.

It’s the third book in a series, which does mean that there is a lot of back-story to get through at the start, but this is very well-done and feels natural to the story. I still think I’d have per
Shelagh Wadman
Aug 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I was given the opportunity to read Shield of the Rising Son on Pigeonhole in 10 Staves. An added bonus was the author, Adam Lofthouse, read along with us and answered our comments. I loved every written word of this book which follows the lives of three Roman soldiers Albinus his son Faustus and Calvus. Albinus is charged with protecting Caesar’s son Commodus and training him to become a leader of men ready for the day he will become Caesar! It is a story of love, pain, skulduggery, immense bra ...more
Barbara
Aug 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I admit that I'm not usually a fan of this genre of books but Shield of the Rising Sun has made me change my mind. I was fortunate to read this with the Pigeonhole which is a great way of reading books you wouldn't normally choose.

I hadn't realised that this was the third book in a series but it didn't matter as it worked well as a stand alone though I think I will now read the other two.

A great story of life as a centurion in Roman times. Vivid descriptions and believable characters make for a
christopher king
Sep 02, 2020 rated it really liked it
A vivid and dramatic evocation of a period in Roman history. Adam Lofthouse sets himself the task of running three separate narrative threads that cover the early education of Commodus, the emperor who ruled with his father Marcus Aurelius. He uses a Russian doll construction of stories within stories that sometimes appears contrived. Even so, his characters are always well-drawn, their backstories full of identifiable human dilemmas. His descriptive talent is first-rate, evoking the savagery of ...more
Nicola Mackenzie-Smaller
Aug 29, 2020 rated it really liked it
Until I came to review this, I hadn’t realised it was the third book in a series. It definitely stands alone, so if you are going to jump in, it’s definitely ok to do it at this point.
This is an excellent retelling of Roman history, brutal and unforgiving, but the stories told by an older centurion to his charge who is to become Caesar are also full of friendship and humour.
A departure from my usual reading, I read this with The Pigeonhole and really enjoyed it.
Clare
Aug 27, 2020 rated it really liked it
This is the third book in a series of historical fiction novels set in the Roman era. Even though I haven’t read the first two books, I had no problem at all in understanding what was going on in the Shield of the Rising Sun. Although that now doesn’t stop me from wanting to read the first two books!

The story is told by three characters: Albinus, his son Faustus, and Faustus’ uncle, Calvus. The battle scenes, mainly from Albinus’ point of view, were gory (I like this - I know, probably a bit od
Polly Krize
Sep 21, 2020 rated it liked it
I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

An excellent portrayal of the life of a Roman soldier, from his youth joining the Legions to the exhaustion and brutality of an experienced soldier. Albinus has protected Commodus, Caesar's son, all the while trying to survive himself in this brutal world. Well written and exciting battles!
Beatrice Mamberto
Sep 02, 2020 rated it really liked it
Absolutely loved this book! Very well written, one is immediately immersed ancient Roman times through various well drawn characters. Brilliant fight scenes which jump through the pages as though on a big screen. Third book of a series I believe although can be read as a stand alone.
I highly recommend it to all historical novel aficionados.
Jan Grant
Sep 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Thoroughly enjoyable read

I have absolutely loved this story of Albinus and his adventures. It is easy to lose yourself in the stories, to see hear and smell what you’re reading. Great books with history and fiction combined. Well worth a read!
Stephanie
Sep 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
This is the third in a series I had not previously read.
There are two stories set across different time periods of the Roman Empire.
The book is well researched and written, and will appeal to lovers of historical fiction.
Mr A Peacock
Sep 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A very good and exciting read with excellent action sequences very difficult to put down
Dilys Guthrie
Jan 10, 2021 rated it it was amazing
I was both looking forward to this final book, but also dreading it as I had become so involved with all characters. It was a fitting end to an excellent trilogy. Adam Lofthouse can be very proud of these books and I feel he is up there with the likes of Simon Scarrow, Harry Sidebottom, et al. I look forward to reading more.
Jack Barber
Feb 10, 2021
David
Oct 30, 2020
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Revolt Against Rome (Tribune Valerius & Centurion Marcellus #3)
  • Britannia World's End (The Last of the Romans #2)
  • Illyrian (The Thrice Named Man, #7)
  • Sons of Rome (Rise of Emperors #1)
  • Dagger and Vow (Forgotten Heroes of Rome #1)
  • Roxolani (The Thrice Named Man, #8)
  • The Last of the Romans (The Last of the Romans #1)
  • Return of the Eagles (Tribune Valerius & Centurion Marcellus #2)
  • Lucia
  • An Archer's Crusade (Lord Edward's Archer #3)
  • The Last Warrior (The Ninth Century #2)
  • The Wolf Hunt: A fast-paced, action-packed historical fiction novel (The Whale Road Chronicles Book 3)
  • A Time for Swords
  • The Northern Throne (Warrior Druid of Britain Chronicles #3)
  • Tau (Barbarians of Rome, #2)
  • The Wolf At Large (The Wolf of Corwick Castle Book 2)
  • Libertas
  • The Last King (The Ninth Century #1)
Adam has for many years held a passion for the ancient world. As a teenager he picked up Gates of Rome by Conn Iggulden, and has been obsessed with all things Rome ever since. After ten years of immersing himself in stories of the Roman world, he decided to have a go at writing one for himself. The Centurion’s Son is Adam’s first novel. He lives in Kent, with his wife and three sons.

Path of Nemesis (3 books)
  • The Centurion's Son (Path of Nemesis #1)
  • War in the Wilderness (Path of Nemesis #2)

News & Interviews