Start by marking “Cook This Book: Techniques That Teach and Recipes To Repeat” as Want to Read:
Cook This Book: Techniques That Teach and Recipes To Repeat

Cook This Book: Techniques That Teach and Recipes To Repeat

If you seek out, celebrate, and obsess over good food but lack the skills and confidence necessary to make it at home, you’ve just won a ticket to a life filled with supreme deliciousness. Cook This Book is a new kind of foundational cookbook from Molly Baz, who’s here to teach you absolutely everything she knows and equip you with the tools to become a better, more effici ...more
Published April 13th 2021 by Clarkson Potter Publishers

To ask other readers questions about Cook This Book, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cook This Book

Start your review of Cook This Book: Techniques That Teach and Recipes To Repeat
Alyson
Apr 28, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Revisiting now that I have Cooked a few things from this book. Omg. Molly Baz shows you that you don’t need a million fancy ingredients to make something delicious. She also writes her recipes in a way that is so easy to follow and shop for.

And the FLAVORS of all of her recipes- WOW.

This book is a must for all home cooks!!!
Jenn
Jul 11, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbooks
I buy a LOT of cookbooks. And love reading them, and getting inspired, but to be honest...rarely do I make more than 2-3 recipes from any one book. Cook This Book is immediately going on the "priority" cookbook shelf in the kitchen - that small collection of 15 books that I reach for again and again. Molly's palate is impeccable, and I've made a dozen recipes from this already, with another dozen still flagged to cook through in the coming weeks. Most recipes, I don't even make adjustments too - ...more
Lydia Poer
Aug 01, 2021 rated it really liked it
This book is SO instructional and reads SO well in Molly’s voice. I was a huge fan of the BA test kitchen and still follow Molly’s pages. I haven’t made anything in the book yet but will update once I do! The educational bits at the beginning and end explain everything I’ve been trying to learn from online recipes for the past year or so, when I got into cooking for myself. This woman is incredible and I’ll buy anything she writes!!
Rani H.
Nov 01, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2021, cookbooks
her husband described her food well: fun, funky, farty. Molly Baz is a genious. she also had us eating 5 HEADS of garlic in one week. black pepper, lemon, and garlic seem to be here flavor go-tos. i'm buying the book because i made so many of the recipes and loved them all:

-pastrami roast chicken with schmaltzy onions and dill was probably my favorite. the onion and garlic were like candy.
-milk-braised chicken with bacon, beans and kale.
-spiced, grilled and swaddled chicken thighs with the wor
Amanda Lagerfeld
May 04, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2021, owned
I love Molly Baz's recipes and this book is exactly what I would expect her to produce. There is a great mix of recipe types in this book from difficulty level to the types of foods presented. The recipes are creative and delish and Molly was able to organize it in a way that cooks with any level of skill will be able to master these meals. I truly detest cookbooks that require obscure ingredients that can only be found in specialized stores in one region of one city in the country and this book ...more
Jamie
May 15, 2021 rated it liked it
I’m not entirely sure why I bought this book. I think it was the cover (which you should never judge by, did you know?) and the graphic design. I wish I’d had a flick through in the shop beforehand though, because this just isn’t the type of food I like to cook or eat.

First off, it’s a lot of meat. Like, a lot. And dairy. The vegetable section feels more like a chapter of side dishes than anything you could eat satisfactorily as a main meal. That’s obviously my fault, though, and doesn’t reflec
Jodi
Aug 19, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
The introduction and recipes themselves were very much set up in an "explain it to me like I'm 5" way, which was probably tedious for some people and made me (a dummy) stoked. I appreciated every time she told me to make sure my plate was lined with a paper towel because I am one of those people who will literally just do what the instructions tell me to do. Then my boyfriend will walk into the kitchen and say "that's very clearly not what they meant." Well, I didn't have to guess what Molly mea ...more
emma
Dec 29, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Read this in one go and made the kimchi ranch chicken tonight to celebrate- love u molly
Daniel Shelley
Jun 17, 2021 rated it it was amazing
I’ll start off by saying this book won’t be for everyone, and that’s fine. She wrote the recipes the way she speaks which grates on a lot of people. But like let this woman make a book that caters to her fans and not appeal to the masses. I think what this cook book knocks out of the park is the addition of QR codes. I’m a very visual person, especially when cooking it’s such a visual activity. So it’s nice to see the techniques done in such short videos. I’m also such a picky person and this bo ...more
Kristin
Jul 05, 2021 rated it did not like it
I am several generations older than the cookbook author Molly Baz so maybe that’s my problem. From the book design, the messy/sloppy arrangement of the food in many of the photos, the harsh lighting of all the photos, to the relentless slang/abbreviations and even occasional expletives, this book is way too in-your-face for me. I appreciate the author’s mission but the voice of this book is almost a complete turnoff to me. I did look at every recipe but I don’t intend to try any.
Megan
Apr 28, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've followed Molly for a couple of years now, after discovering her from the BA kitchen. I read the entire book cover to cover before cooking anything and was really excited to try some recipes. The intro portion was a bit tiresome for me since I don't consider myself a beginner in the kitchen, so I already knew all of that info, but I did appreciate her fun tone and think it would be very helpful for those who are beginners.

But the food... MOLLY. KNOWS. FLAVORS.

So far I've made the Hot 'n' Cr
Sarah Cetra
May 09, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Will return to review fully once I cook some of these, but every single recipe looks incredible, and from reading through, I can tell this will be a hit for me. The QR code’s for different techniques is genius.

Tbh, the author can come off as trying too hard to be quirky but the recipes themselves seem really solid & creative.
Kathleen
Jun 13, 2021 rated it it was ok
The recipes look decent, but I couldn’t get past the eye-searing graphic design. It’s more appropriate for posters trying to catch your attention across a busy subway station, not for conveying detailed, nuanced information. The recipe font is too small and cramped plus weirdly formatted, which makes it hard if I need to glance quickly at the next step in the middle of preparing a dish.
Mary Coder
May 06, 2021 rated it it was amazing
SO EXCITED ABOUT THIS COOK BOOK!! I just bought it for myself for mudders day!! I was inspired by
@freddsters on TikTok & IG. Watching him cook Molly Bazs' recipes regularly kept me SERIOUSLY hung-a-ree!! I will update as soon as I start experimenting with it!
Liz
Dec 26, 2021 rated it really liked it
For some reason I was waiting until I made the brisket to review this book (?) but brisket is always $45-ish, so. I do really like this cookbook, despite the sometimes eye-rolling names Molly Baz uses (Sweetie P’s are, you guessed it, sweet potatoes. EYEROLL.) and the presence of cottage cheese (sneaky cottage cheese salad on p. 186–no thank you!).

I really appreciate the way this book led me to try dishes with ingredients I don’t usually like, like raw celery. “Pork Sausages with Mustardy Lentil
Ann
Jan 10, 2022 rated it really liked it
Love the graphic design (and QR codes), and very approachable vibe this cookbook has. Definitely catered toward a younger demographic and those new to the kitchen - would recommend if you fall in that target audience.

Learned quite a bit in the intro section prior to the recipes, and inspired to try some of these (I marked down about 10-15 I’d like to try). A loooot of the recipes are heavy on the dairy/meat, which isn’t exactly what I’m looking for - so I picked out the few meat dishes and salad
Rachel Oglesby
Oct 27, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Molly Baz is my actual hero as a woman AND as a cook! I love that her recipes are so flavorful and simple, and I love that I have learned lots of really tangible things from this book that I can apply to cooking outside of CTB. I could eat Dijon lentils all day. Just saying. I think that anyone who is even curious about learning how to approach a kitchen should get this and cook through it. K bye.
Tony
Dec 31, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Working through recipes in this book entirely changed my relationship to cooking. The way the recipes are doled out is so user friendly - specifically for time management. Telling when to chop an onion (not listing it as a prepped ingredient at the top of the recipe) really made all the difference for me. Always making sure to list the measurement in the body of the recipe not just the ingredient which has to be cross referenced with the ingredient list is genuinely a game changer to a beginning ...more
Brittany Stevens
Jun 29, 2021 rated it it was amazing
I feel like I’ve cooked enough out of this book to definitively give it 5 stars. Every recipe I’ve tried has been so packed with flavor. Molly’s persona permeating through every page is just icing on the cake. I have recommended this cookbook to just about anyone who will listen.
Allie Pae
May 31, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbooks
slaps. thank you miss molly baz everything is delicious
Jessica Alvarez
Dec 27, 2021 rated it really liked it
Seems silly to put this here, but I read this book front to back and loved it. I love reading recipes and imagining the dishes idk.
Rachel Kieser
Dec 31, 2021 rated it it was amazing
I'll forever love and be grateful for this book!! Molly made me realize I love cookbooks 💞
I've made 17 recipes that have taught me so much so I'm excited to continue cooking recipes from this book
Nichole Windsor
Jul 10, 2022 rated it it was amazing
Is it normal to read a cookbook like a novel? I love Molly and this book was delightful.
Shelby Deeter
Jan 22, 2022 rated it it was amazing
Read through this today and can't wait to cook some stuff from this baby! ...more
Leane
Jun 08, 2022 rated it liked it
Visually appealing and loaded with step-by-step instructions for learning and/or honing kitchen techniques, this cookbook will especially appeal to tech savvy, adventurous eaters who want to enhance their repertoire of kitchen standards. The recipes are accessible and the light Tone makes it more fun than work. Excellent photography and busy, bright, colorful graphics.
SheReaders Book Club
Jun 24, 2021 rated it it was amazing
This was a little too basic for my personal cooking level but a nice book to flip through either way. Could be a great inspiration for a less experienced cook.
Lauren R.
Pretty innovative! The format is what does it for me. Molly is amazing too but generally these recipes are less ~for me~ than many other cookbooks I have. However, this book is delightful and pretty easy. She has QR codes to view videos for cooking/prep techniques. The ingredients are listed by grocery store category instead of recipe order, which is made better by the fact that the ingredient quantities are within the recipes itself! Her ingredients are usually simple AND minimal, but still uni ...more
Anna W.
Jun 28, 2021 rated it liked it
I was so excited to see this book as I follow Molly Baz’s Instagram and I’m constantly sending a delicious recipe to a friend captioned “I WANT.” That’s said, I’m sad to report that many of the recipes did not sound appealing to me.

To be fair, I am only one of many, many readers. I *did* find a handful of recipes I’d like to try at some point, but nothing jumped into my brain as “I WANT” as much as I expected.

The format of the recipe pages were easy to read and nicely laid out; I also liked th
Sam Pullman
Apr 27, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Molly continues to amaze with a clear, concise, FUN cookbook

I’ve already cooked two recipes from this book, and they have both been incredible! Every recipe is so well thought out and easy to follow, the pictures are GORG and the whole thing just reads like your best friends diary. It’s like molly is just hanging out with you and telling you how to make it through dinner. Incredible!
Stephanie
Aug 12, 2021 rated it it was ok
This cookbook is an absolute mess. The layout is horrible. The photos do no favors for the recipes. The recipes encourage you to use QR codes (that might be helpful for some). The pages 35-36 in bold letters tells you to stop and I’d advise that you heed that advice. There are a few recipes that are okay but even the titles of them are off putting. But the author gets 2 stars - she wrote a cookbook and got somebody to publish it. That’s more than a lot of people have accomplished.
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• That Sounds So Good: 100 Real-Life Recipes for Every Day of the Week: A Cookbook
  • Dessert Person: Recipes and Guidance for Baking with Confidence: A Baking Book
  • The Pepper Thai Cookbook: Family Recipes from Everyone's Favorite Thai Mom
  • Simply Julia: 110 Easy Recipes for Healthy Comfort Food
  • Where Cooking Begins: Uncomplicated Recipes to Make You a Great Cook
  • Across the Green Grass Fields (Wayward Children, #6)
  • Herbarium
  • Fruit Cake: Recipes for the Curious Baker
  • Monk!: Thelonious, Pannonica, and the Friendship Behind a Musical Revolution
  • Lazarus, Vol. 4: Poison
  • Lazarus, Vol. 5: Cull
  • Strange Allies
  • Star Wars: The Clone Wars - Deadly Hands of Shon-ju
  • Tank Girl (Tank Girl, #1)
  • Lazarus, Vol. 6: Fracture I