Start by marking “COUPLE SKILLS Making Your Realationship Work” as Want to Read:
COUPLE SKILLS Making Your Realationship Work

COUPLE SKILLS Making Your Realationship Work

Problems arise in every relationship. And when they do, some coping strategies simply work better, hurt less, and mend hearts more quickly than others do. If you've ever wondered why your partner behaves a certain way or how patterns of conflict become entrenched in your relationship, Couple Skills is the book for you.

This book can change your relationship by changing how
Published June 1st 2000 by Barnes & Noble (first published 1994)

To ask other readers questions about COUPLE SKILLS Making Your Realationship Work, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about COUPLE SKILLS Making Your Realationship Work

Mai
Great read with lots of helpful exercises .I think it's A Must-read for couples or anyone as these skills are so essential to understander the psychology behind relationships and how they work ,Highly recommend it for Everyone :)
eimn
Jun 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: relationships, z1990
Life changing book. Best book for couple therapy! So filled with useful information, practical exercises and accurate scientific research. Highly recommended!
Becca
Nov 12, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Here is a lovely idea: good relationships are not born, they are built. In other words, there are skills you can learn and practice and get better at that will make communication "clean" and relationships manageable. And reading the mean and nasty example conversations will make you and your partner look like saints.

This book is very direct, cracker-dry and clinical, with very clear step-by-step directions for cleaning up communication, identifying damaging patterns and upping positive feedback
Emma
Good information - a little dry. What I like best about it is that it is a collection of a la carte skills - no big grand theory to swallow first. I am a little burned out on grand theories that aim to explain the entire reason for relationships and how to fix everything about them. It never seems to really work out the way you hope. So this book doesn't do that so much. Huzzah.
Destiny D
I read this book for a relationship class and it was very informative. I would recommend this book for anyone who wants to improve their relationships with friends, children or lover. It really makes you look at yourself and how you interact with others.
vic
Mar 10, 2007 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: no one
it sucked
Dawn Strauss
Nov 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is an excellent read for anyone who’s trying to enhance his or her communication skills with anyone not just a partner.
Nichole
Nov 05, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I chose this book for a project in my community college communications class. Overall, in my opinion, it was an okay book. I'm more a fictional reader so I wasn't that into it. But, for being my second non-fiction book I have had to read in college I enjoyed it. I believe this book would be really helpful for people searching for a "self-help" kind of way to better a relationship. However, if you are really trying to use the book to develop new skills you should really utilize the activities the ...more
Joan Concilio
My counselor assigned me to research a specific piece of this book - pararaxic distortions. It was an interesting enough book that I read through it all. Not a ton of "brand new" information, but pretty solid advice overall, and some truly laughable examples of what not to say and do in a relationship. The parts that interested me most were the lists of cognitive distortions and the concept of the "couple system."
Michelle
Oct 10, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a solid CBT (Cognitive Behavioral Therapy) book focused on couple skills. It is written in a very straightforward and somewhat dry manner but the information is very relevant and useful and as a Licensed Clinical Social Worker I can definitely imagine using this book as a reference for clients (and myself) in the future. I was especially impressed with the exercises throughout the book which can really help hone skills and work through specific personal problems.
Lisa Alfriend
Dec 14, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Only useful book for my career assigned in college..
Joe
May 18, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
still reading.
Asami
Mar 07, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Resourceful book, with techniques which can be used in daily life. Skills are backed up with relevant theories and researches.
Rebekah
Jul 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the better 'relationship' books I've read. The authors know their stuff. They give good examples. They're professional. They're realistic. I'd recommend this to anybody for any situation.
Ruth Merlin
May 08, 2018
Lauren Phillips
Aug 04, 2014
Kate Cubitt
rated it did not like it
Feb 20, 2016
Gina
Jan 24, 2012
Mary Emily O'Hara
This book might save everyone.
Holly Vipond
Jan 05, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• Communication Miracles for Couples: Easy and Effective Tools to Create More Love and Less Conflict
  • Marriage Fitness: 4 Steps to Building & Maintaining Phenomenal Love
  • Marriage Rules: A Manual for the Married and the Coupled Up
  • Bridges Not Walls: A Book About Interpersonal Communication
  • Choosing Happiness: Keys to a Joyful Life
  • The Relationship Cure: A 5 Step Guide to Strengthening Your Marriage, Family, and Friendships
  • Fighting for Your Marriage: Positive Steps for Preventing Divorce and Preserving a Lasting Love
  • Painfully Shy: How to Overcome Social Anxiety and Reclaim Your Life
  • Extraordinary Relationships: A New Way of Thinking about Human Interactions
  • The Mindful Path through Shyness: How Mindfulness and Compassion Can Help Free You from Social Anxiety, Fear, and Avoidance
  • Why Can't You Read My Mind?: Overcoming the 9 Toxic Thought Patterns that Get in the Way of a Loving Relationship
  • The Relaxation & Stress Reduction Workbook
  • The Art of Imperfection: Simple Ways to Make Peace with Yourself
  • Ten Stupid Things Couples Do to Mess Up Their Relationships
  • The Adventure of Self-Discovery: Dimensions of Consciousness and New Perspectives in Psychotherapy and Inner Exploration
  • After the Affair: Healing the Pain and Rebuilding Trust When a Partner Has Been Unfaithful
  • Relationship Rescue: A Seven-Step Strategy for Reconnecting with Your Partner
  • How Can I Get Through to You?: Closing the Intimacy Gap Between Men and Women
Matthew McKay, PhD, is a professor of psychology at the Wright Institute in Berkeley, and author of more than 30 professional psychology and self-help books which have sold a combined total of more than 3 million copies. He is co-founder of independent self-help publisher, New Harbinger Publications. He was the clinical director of Haight Ashbury Psychological Services in San Francisco for twenty ...more