Start by marking “COUPLE SKILLS Making Your Realationship Work” as Want to Read:
COUPLE SKILLS Making Your Realationship Work

COUPLE SKILLS Making Your Realationship Work

3.82  ·  Rating details ·  168 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
Problems arise in every relationship. And when they do, some coping strategies simply work better, hurt less, and mend hearts more quickly than others do. If you've ever wondered why your partner behaves a certain way or how patterns of conflict become entrenched in your relationship, Couple Skills is the book for you.

This book can change your relationship by changing how
Published June 1st 2000 by Barnes & Noble (first published 1994)

To ask other readers questions about COUPLE SKILLS Making Your Realationship Work, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about COUPLE SKILLS Making Your Realationship Work

Mai
Great read with lots of helpful exercises .I think it's A Must-read for couples or anyone as these skills are so essential to understander the psychology behind relationships and how they work ,Highly recommend it for Everyone :)
Becca
Nov 12, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Here is a lovely idea: good relationships are not born, they are built. In other words, there are skills you can learn and practice and get better at that will make communication "clean" and relationships manageable. And reading the mean and nasty example conversations will make you and your partner look like saints.

This book is very direct, cracker-dry and clinical, with very clear step-by-step directions for cleaning up communication, identifying damaging patterns and upping positive feedback
Emma
Good information - a little dry. What I like best about it is that it is a collection of a la carte skills - no big grand theory to swallow first. I am a little burned out on grand theories that aim to explain the entire reason for relationships and how to fix everything about them. It never seems to really work out the way you hope. So this book doesn't do that so much. Huzzah.
Destiny
I read this book for a relationship class and it was very informative. I would recommend this book for anyone who wants to improve their relationships with friends, children or lover. It really makes you look at yourself and how you interact with others.
vic
Mar 10, 2007 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: no one
it sucked
Nichole
Nov 05, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I chose this book for a project in my community college communications class. Overall, in my opinion, it was an okay book. I'm more a fictional reader so I wasn't that into it. But, for being my second non-fiction book I have had to read in college I enjoyed it. I believe this book would be really helpful for people searching for a "self-help" kind of way to better a relationship. However, if you are really trying to use the book to develop new skills you should really utilize the activities the ...more
Joan Concilio
My counselor assigned me to research a specific piece of this book - pararaxic distortions. It was an interesting enough book that I read through it all. Not a ton of "brand new" information, but pretty solid advice overall, and some truly laughable examples of what not to say and do in a relationship. The parts that interested me most were the lists of cognitive distortions and the concept of the "couple system."
Michelle
Oct 10, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a solid CBT (Cognitive Behavioral Therapy) book focused on couple skills. It is written in a very straightforward and somewhat dry manner but the information is very relevant and useful and as a Licensed Clinical Social Worker I can definitely imagine using this book as a reference for clients (and myself) in the future. I was especially impressed with the exercises throughout the book which can really help hone skills and work through specific personal problems.
Lisa Alfriend
Dec 14, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Only useful book for my career assigned in college..
Joe
May 18, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
still reading.
Asami
Mar 07, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Resourceful book, with techniques which can be used in daily life. Skills are backed up with relevant theories and researches.
Rebekah
Jul 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the better 'relationship' books I've read. The authors know their stuff. They give good examples. They're professional. They're realistic. I'd recommend this to anybody for any situation.
Dennis Brown
Nov 13, 2015
Lauren Phillips
Aug 04, 2014
Kate Cubitt
rated it did not like it
Feb 20, 2016
Gina
Jan 24, 2012
Mary Emily O'Hara
This book might save everyone.
Holly Vipond
Lee
Jun 07, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Marriage Rules: A Manual for the Married and the Coupled Up
  • The Relationship Cure: A 5 Step Guide to Strengthening Your Marriage, Family, and Friendships
  • Bridges Not Walls: A Book About Interpersonal Communication
  • Painfully Shy: How to Overcome Social Anxiety and Reclaim Your Life
  • Marriage Fitness: 4 Steps to Building & Maintaining Phenomenal Love
  • Wired for Love: How Understanding Your Partner's Brain and Attachment Style Can Help You Defuse Conflict and Build a Secure Relationship
  • How to Be an Adult in Relationships: The Five Keys to Mindful Loving
  • Extraordinary Relationships: A New Way of Thinking about Human Interactions
  • Fighting for Your Marriage: Positive Steps for Preventing Divorce and Preserving a Lasting Love
  • You Are Your Choices: 50 Ways to Live the Good Life
  • The Relaxation & Stress Reduction Workbook
  • Why Can't You Read My Mind?: Overcoming the 9 Toxic Thought Patterns that Get in the Way of a Loving Relationship
  • Tree Spirited Woman
  • Passionate Marriage: Keeping Love and Intimacy Alive in Committed Relationships
  • Communication Miracles for Couples: Easy and Effective Tools to Create More Love and Less Conflict
  • The Shyness & Social Anxiety Workbook: Proven Techniques for Overcoming Your Fears
  • Devotions for Dating Couples: Building a Foundation for Spiritual Intimacy
  • Relationship Rescue: A Seven-Step Strategy for Reconnecting with Your Partner
Matthew McKay, PhD, is a professor of psychology at the Wright Institute in Berkeley, and author of more than 30 professional psychology and self-help books which have sold a combined total of more than 3 million copies. He is co-founder of independent self-help publisher, New Harbinger Publications. He was the clinical director of Haight Ashbury Psychological Services in San Francisco for twenty ...more
More about Matthew McKay...