Start by marking “Call Me Elizabeth Lark” as Want to Read:
Call Me Elizabeth Lark

Call Me Elizabeth Lark

Your daughter went missing twenty years ago. Now, she's finally back. You thought she had returned a few times in the past, and your husband tells you she's not the one, but you feel it in your bones.

Now, what will you do to keep her home?

Twenty years ago, Myra Barkley's daughter disappeared from the rocky beach across from the family inn, off the Oregon c
Hardcover
Published March 9th 2021 by Crooked Lane Books

To ask other readers questions about Call Me Elizabeth Lark, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Call Me Elizabeth Lark

Start your review of Call Me Elizabeth Lark
Nilufer Ozmekik
Nov 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Holly molly! What a gripping, nerve bending, thrilling ride! Pressure building, tension increasing, nail chopping writing style hooks you up, grabs your soul, gathers your entire attention! You cannot dare to put it down for a second!

Three different women narrators on the board: both of them suffer from traumatic experiences. One of them is mother who lost her daughter 20 years ago: Myra, second one is the other daughter Gwen who still suffers from guilt feelings about missing sister Charlotte b
Michael David
Nov 24, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: buddy-read
Imagine that your young daughter disappears one night. You’ve spent years trying to come to terms with her being missing, and have convinced yourself you’ve spotted her on more than one occasion...only to be wrong in the end. 20 years later, your missing daughter walks into the inn you own.

That’s what happens to Myra Barkley. She watches as her missing daughter, Charlotte, comes in through the door.

Only, it’s not Charlotte. The woman’s name is Elizabeth Lark. She is with her son, Theo, and the
Jayme
Nov 24, 2020 rated it liked it
2.5 ⭐️

Myra and Herb Barkley are still running the Barkley Inn, twenty years after their daughter Charlotte disappeared from the Rocky Beach across from the B and B, which is situated on the rainy, Oregon Coast.

The Police think the eight year old, drowned, when her older sister Gwen, who was baby sitting, lost track of her, but Myra has always believed that Charlotte was abducted and would return home one day, so she keeps Vigil from the front desk.

And, then it happens.

Elizabeth Lark arrives w
Tina
This is a Suspense Mystery/Thriller, and I have to say that the cover of this book is so beautiful. The cover is way I wanted to read this book, but I have to say I loved the book so much as well. The twists and turns in this book made me say what the H***. I loved this book because the twists and turns in this book I did not see coming. The characters in this book slowly developed through out this book which is what you want in thrillers like this book. This book as so many secrets in families ...more
Sandy *The world could end while I was reading and I would never notice*
EXCERPT: Herb says Myra has drowned herself with Charlotte, where the beach is rocky and the tide tinged gray-yellow, its crest effervescent.

At the inn, wind batters the wooden shingles like the ocean thrumming the shore at high tide. The squall sends sand whipping through the air. The pier empties of people, except for the lone fishermen who wear rubber boots and heavy yellow raincoats, casting their lines in turbid water.

Myra and Herb are ensconced in the inn, wrapped in sweaters and crochet
ℳacarena
4.5
Woooooow!!! 😲 This book has been a surprise. The premise points out to a good story, but I never thought it would have all those twists! It keeps you wondering and so intrigued that it's hard to put it down.

The story is divided into Myra's and Elizabeth's lives. Myra and her husband lost a child, Charlotte, twenty years ago. Elizabeth and her little son have finally run away from her abusive husband. She is supposed to go away from the place, but she can't help herself returning to her homet
Theresa Alan
Jan 29, 2021 rated it liked it
I give this story points for originality, but I didn’t actually enjoy it. While I had a lot of empathy for Elizabeth and thought she beat herself up with negative self-talk, there was something about the coincidences and twists that didn’t work for me.

Elizabeth is on the run from her abusive husband and stops at an inn in her hometown. The woman who runs the place is convinced it’s her long-lost daughter who disappeared twenty years ago when she was just eight years old. Elizabeth doesn’t immed
Kimberly Belle
Dec 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Review to come...
Sara Kapadia
Nov 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I was hooked from the first page! The author's use of words is just wonderful. I got more and more invested the more I read. The building tension, the twists and turns, it is such an exciting read!

The narration is so great, with three different characters. Each one with a fascinating back story. The author handles the intricacies of personality so well: a mother who lost her daughter many years ago, then a sister who is suffering, then a woman fleeing her abusive husband with her young child.
Su
Swati Hegde
Oct 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc
I had the amazing opportunity to read an advance copy of this book, so thank you to the author for that!

(PS: just look at that gorgeous cover holy effing hell)

I was blown away by how brilliantly well-paced, well-written, and edge-of-the-seat-keeping this book is!!!! I loved so many of the characters, especially considering how wonderfully women-centric this is (we need more such suspense/thrillers!!!), and I couldn't stop turning the pages, because I was always dying to know what happens next. Y
Dana-Adriana B.
Nov 25, 2020 rated it really liked it
Elizabeth Lark is on the run from an abusive husband. The Innkeeper where she is hiding is sure that Elizabeth is her missing daughter from 20 years back. Elizabeth's life is a mess, is she going to fix it or make it worse?
Thank you Netgalley for this read.
Shkolnikjx
Oct 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I cannot praise enough this incredible thriller! Is the missing daughter found is is someone playing a cruel prank on the grieving family is the question in the center of this quirky novel.
Amanda McHugh
Oct 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing
4.5 Stars

I've been excited to read this one for quite a while, and I was thrilled to be approved for an ARC available on NetGalley.

Twenty years ago, Charlotte went missing. Presumed dead, Myra and Herb are shocked when a woman who could be their daughter shows up at their remote seaside inn. Elizabeth is on the run with her son Theo, and while she doesn't want to take advantage of the situation, she knows that going back to her abusive husband isn't an option. But the stakes prove higher than a
J. Schlenker
Dec 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
So many twists and turns, it will keep you guessing. You ask yourself, how dysfunctional can one family be? At the same time, they are bound together and have been for more than a quarter of a century. Perhaps by more than blood, perhaps by their secrets and past traumas.

With all of their differences, each character is intricately woven with their many layers by the author into the fabric or web termed as family along with superb description which places you directlty in the scene.

I read this tw
Jen
Dec 17, 2020 rated it liked it
This story had a few surprises and an interesting premise overall, but I felt the characters were a bit under-developed. It centers on Myra, whose 8-year-old daughter Charlotte disappeared 20 years ago, and Elizabeth, who shows up at Myra's door and is mistaken for Charlotte after all that time. The chapters alternate between the POVs of these 2 characters, as well as that of Myra's other daughter, Gwen.

You know going into the book that Elizabeth isn't really Charlotte. I thought I had figured o
PinkAmy loves books, cats and naps
***Thanks to NetGalley for providing me a complimentary copy of CALL ME ELIZABETH LARK by Melissa Colasanti in exchange for my honest review.***

3.5 STARS

Eight-year-old Charlotte disappears while in the custody of older sister Gwen. Twenty years later, their mother Myrna is certain Charlotte has returned when Elizabeth Lark walks into her B&B fleeing from her abusive husband.

Oh what a tangled web Melissa Colasanti has woven in her debut novel. CALL ME ELIZABETH LARK is full of twists and turns, s
Melissa (LifeFullyBooked)
2.5 stars, rounded up
On the surface, this is an entertaining mystery--a young girl disappears and is never found. Her mother Myra has never given up hope that she is alive. Then one night, a woman appears at the family's seaside inn, child in tow, and claims to be that daughter who escaped from the captor who had been holding them all of these years. The reader knows that "Elizabeth Lark" is not Charlotte, the missing girl, but Myra thinks she looks exactly like what Charlotte would look like no
Megan Collins
Nov 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Lyrical and riveting, CALL ME ELIZABETH LARK contains layers of mysteries that will surprise and thrill its readers. With heart-pounding twists, decades-old secrets, and complex characters knotted together by guilt and betrayal, this book is a stunning page-turner. I devoured it in a single day.
Laila Elahi
Nov 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book was a total thrill ride. It deserves 5 stars. I loved reading it and was totally surprised by the plot! I liked the setting, it was really descriptive and alluring. I loved the interactions with all the characters and the dynamics that built up through the book. I was completely captivated by the possibilities. I would recommend this to anyone who likes stellar writing, good characters and a suspenseful thriller!
Amber
Nov 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
From the synopsis alone I knew I would love this. It has intrigue, complex characters, and drama. The writing style was great and the way the author writes the characters makes you feel for them. I recommend going in not knowing anything about this novel because it will blow you away. Can't wait to see what the author comes out with next. ...more
Kay Mcleer
Nov 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
this was a really unique mystery read, I liked the story and thought it was a scary concept. I really enjoyed reading this book and look forward to more from the author.
OutlawPoet
Nov 12, 2020 rated it really liked it

When I started reading this one, I wasn’t sure if I was going to like it. It was kind of a slow build up of secrets and lies and I’m more of a things-go-boom reader.

But, before I knew it, I was completely entrenched in our little family full of big secrets.

The reveal is…unexpected. But it’s a good one and it definitely surprised me. In fact, the book surprised me in all sorts of really good ways.

Definitely a recommended read for those who love suspense and family drama!

*ARC Provided via Net Gal
Grace Asseton
Nov 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Experience Elizabeth's whirlwind, from prisoner of her own house to.... This is a fantastic read for any of you wanting a novel full of emotion and suspense. ...more
Nov 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
I was intrigued by the premise of this book, and the cover is neat. A woman arrives at an inn with her young son, and she goes along with the owner's notion that she is the long lost daughter who disappeared 20 years prior. The woman is actually fleeing an abusive husband who she may have murdered. She is taken in by the family and she tells them that she was kidnapped and held hostage for 20 years. Her husband ends up being dead, but someone is still out to get her. The mystery of what happened ...more
Jayne
Apr 05, 2021 rated it liked it
CALL ME CRITICAL....
but CALL ME ELIZABETH LARK lacked spark.

Intriguing premise, poor execution.  Too much prose, too little action.

I listened to the 9-hour audiobook.  The audiobook could have EASILY been a 5-6 hour book, without compromising the book's premise and/or plotline.  The book's three narrators did a superb job with the book's narration and saved this book from a lower rating.

The book's premise was very intriguing.   Twenty years ago, Herb and Myra Barkley's 8-year old daughter Charl
M.  [storme reads a lot]
I tried my best with this book, but it was hard to believe. I just could not buy into the plot line and this detracted from my enjoyment of the story. Perhaps this would suit others better, but I did not enjoy this book at all. I think it just seemed like a contrived plot with a nice ending. There was nothing that made me invested in the story.
Andrea Pole
Jan 18, 2021 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley
Call Me Elizabeth Lark by Melissa Colasanti initially lured me in with an intriguing premise but, for me, the execution fell a bit flat when all was said and done.

Twenty years ago, Myra Barkley's daughter disappeared without a trace. Since then, Myra has stationed herself at the family's Oregon inn awaiting her beloved child's return. When Elizabeth Lark, a woman who is fleeing an abusive relationship arrives with her young son in tow, Myra believes that her prayers have been answered. Offering
Shravani B
Nov 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
Trigger warning for this novel: Domestic violence, mental illness
Thanks to Crooked lane and Netgalley for an ARC of this novel. This novel keeps you the edge and is filled with suspense. There are so many different layers that till the last chapter you keep guessing. Definitely recommend. 4 stars
Lauren
Feb 18, 2021 rated it liked it
Myra Barkley’s daughter disappeared twenty years ago and she’s always been hopeful she’ll return. Now, she’s convinced that Elizabeth Lark, a stranger escaping her own terrible situation is Charlotte, and Elizabeth has no choice but to go along. But someone knows the truth…

I know this is an uncorrected ARC but surely that means there will be page numbers, titles and the author’s name appearing at random intervals, or maybe misplaced apostrophes (there were all these things) but not plot details
Marc Bougharios
Apr 11, 2021 rated it really liked it
3.75 stars (rounded up)

A slow burn thriller novel about a woman who is posing to be someone she isn't, while running away from something she did.

Elizabeth Lark might have killed her husband, and now she's running away with her son Theo. She returns to her hometown and when she walks into the Barklay Inn, Myra Barkely is convinced that she is her daughter that disappears twenty years ago. After all, a mother knows her own daughter, doesn't she? But Elizabeth isn't her daughter and she knows that,
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Huntsville-Madiso...: Hoopla Pick - March 23 - Call Me Elizabeth Lark 1 7 Mar 23, 2021 06:43AM

• A Dark and Secret Place
  • The Photographer
  • Her Dark Lies
  • What You Never Knew
  • Possession
  • The Plot
  • The Last Secret You’ll Ever Keep
  • Forget Me Not
  • Heartbreak Bay (Stillhouse Lake #5)
  • The Dinner Guest