Jump to ratings and reviews
A WARLOCK’S STORM: A Seasoned Urban Fantasy Romance

Meet the Order of the Black Oak: a powerful order of modern-day warriors fighting evil to protect the ones they love.

When rugged warlock turned fisherman Reynolds Stanford finds himself stranded in a haunted New England habor at the approach of a powerful tropical storm, he must battle more than sea monsters and revenants. The gorgeous female panther shifter sent to help him by his family is tugging emotions buried deep within his soul and he fears that while he might survive the night from the deadly assault on his ship, he may very well end-up losing his heart.

If you love loyal tough guys with hearts, satisfying slow-burn paranormal romance and safe Happily Ever Afters, the Black Oak World is for you.

⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️⭐️ Fantastic series of action, magic and awesome romance. You will fall in love with the characters and feel you are right with them.

150 pages, ebook

Published January 21, 2021

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Marie-Claude Bourque

18 books185 followers
Marie-Claude Bourque is an author of gothic paranormal romance and the winner of the American Title V award with her first novel ANCIENT WHISPERS.

Her writing features modern-day fantasy skillfully weaved into infinitely romantic stories between smart strong women and the complex passionate heroes who love them.

Happily Ever After always absolutely guaranteed.
Follow Marie-Claude on Facebook:

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
2 (3%)
1 star
0 (0%)
Displaying 1 - 30 of 46 reviews
Profile Image for Jamie Jack.
Author 1 book81 followers
February 27, 2021
Fun, and Steamy, Paranormal Romance Action Story

I thoroughly enjoyed the Warlocks of Black Oak series by this author, and I think it's a fun idea that she's now going to have a series based on shorter stories about others in that world. This story is well done, like her other books. I love that it is not just a paranormal romance but also thoroughly an action story as well. It has a short, tight time-frame and limited setting based on riding out a storm in a haunted cove. I liked both main characters, and the sea creatures they came up against provided a lot of physical conflict and tension. The author has a smooth writing style that I've always enjoyed. It's easy to get wrapped up in her stories, and this one is no different. I certainly felt the chemistry between the couple, though I didn't like when he called her “doll” or “babe.” That just doesn't seem right for a kick-booty panther shifter like her. I did find more grammar errors in this book than I typically see in hers, including comma splices and other comma issues. I did receive an ARC copy of this book, but Amazon currently does not have a preview available to see if these errors persist in the published edition. Hopefully, they've been fixed. Otherwise, I really enjoyed this paranormal action romantic novella by this very talented author.

I received a free copy of this book, but that did not affect my review.

My book blog: https://www.readingfanaticreviews.com
Profile Image for Sheila.
387 reviews4 followers
Warlock’s Storm
Reynolds Stanford is a seasoned fisherman. He fishes along the New England coast in his trawler the Skyrunner. Rey has given up his magical heritage after a woman betrayed him and left him at the altar. He fishes and sells his catch needing little.
He decides to sit out bad weather in Dead Eye Cove. The Cove is said to be haunted with wraiths and revenants but he has little choice. A strange and ugly creature that seems to be a combination of a stag with huge antlers and a scorpion with a stinging tail climbs onto his boat. He manages to run below decks to find some salt to ward him off. When he returns there are three fierce monsters on his boat. Frantic, he tries to remember a spell or anything to help him before he dies.
Then a wide portal open over his boat and a black panther jumps onto the boat decking snarling at the monsters. The feline pounced on the monster biting the throat. They fight in tandem to rid the boat of the monsters. Then the sleek black panther turns into a beautiful black-haired woman named Saira Varma.
This book opens with a bang of monsters attacking and the paced does not let up. This is a page turner! You have murderous Nuns, Markaras (stag-scorpion things), a curse to break and outrunning a hurricane.
Rey may have just found what he did not know he needed. But first he is going to have to rely on some dormant magical skills and Saira’s shifter skill. This was a good book you will not be able to put down until it’s done. I am looking forward to the next book.
Profile Image for Katheyer.
1,565 reviews16 followers
December 28, 2020
„A Warlock’s Storm“ by Marie-Claude Bourque is the first installment in a spin-off series set in the ‘Order of the Black Oak’ verse appropriated named ‘Stories’, this one narrates the story of Reynolds Stanford (Rey) and Saira.

Rey is a weathered fisherman, who due to a tropical storm happens to end stranded in New England, at a haunted harbor where he will not only fight against sea monsters and revenants, but even against his own attitude and feelings. Saira was supposed to help him with the battle (against the monsters) but ends up kindling a very different kind of battle into his own heart.

This is a paranormal slow-burn romance story, with interesting and relatable characters, fighting for a chance at HEA, and refreshing in extreme, winning not only the battle but the whole war. A wonderful new spin-off in Bourque’s captivating “Order of the Black Oak”.

Profile Image for Samuel Alexander.
Author 21 books17 followers
January 14, 2021
This was an okay read for me. It was almost a really good read for me, but it kinda fell off at a few popular plot devices that I was hoping not to encounter in this novel.

There may be spoilers. If not, def a few plot points.

Firstly, when Rey is prompted as to why he doesn't like witches he gives a fairly good explanation. Clearly, it wasn't good enough cause there was more than one page of him bemoaning his betrayal and I didn't read any of it. It slowed the pace down too much for me. Also, the naked model being turned down by a man and getting upset about rejection, sigh, if she would've just continued with the sass and told him he'd change his mind I would've liked her more but it just didn't fit with her confidence level that she would care enough to be slighted. She def was written like a shrug it off and move on kind of woman so this felt more like forced tension than natural tension.

I can't mention Saira's reaction without mentioning Rey's. Saying no cause it's the gentlemanly thing to do. If they were living in a world before phones maybe, but trying to give him some moral compass was equally as annoying as her anger. I guess I'm just over taking 'the combination of rejection and not sleeping with the girl to prove you like her stuff', seriously. That and at this point in the story Saira was not asking for love, just release so him not wanting to because it's the right thing and he doesn't want to travel down the same road as with his ex the witch, doesn't quite wash because she wasn't asking for commitment so, with that in mind, all his reasons don't exist.

Then the 'no I won't leave you here to fight alone stuff' sigh. What use is both of them dying? It's just I get that they always say that, but Saira's determination lasted just a little bit too long beyond what was expected of this cliche. It was more of an annoyance than heroics. Just run already.

And lastly. Of all the times to be demanding about declarations of love right before the fun was inappropriate. They had already passed the nudity threshold once before so this serious conversation could have waited. To be honest the whole scene about 'you said you love me' felt forced. By that point it was clear they meant it but both of them had to drag it out and force the other person to say it out loud and really mean it, cause you know, people can't lie in romance novels after all or something like that. I would've enjoyed the oncoming scene more if it was more sensual and flirtatious without the overhanging say you love me topic.

That all being said. The rest of the plot, from the ghosts to the storm, the action and just the general flow of it all was fun. Lots of fun actually. I thoroughly enjoyed it. The ghosts were formidable villains, I loved the insults Saira through at them. Even the repetitive one, hag, did not get too overdone. Honestly, her insults were the best part of the action when she and Rey were trying to evade the ghosts. Her entrance into the novel was definitely more than epic as well. It's these parts of the story that made the book for me.

If the other stuff like the too-long Rey backstory, and how the romance tension was handled were better this would be an easy five stars. But it's not just an action novel, it's an action romance. The chemistry beyond the steamy parts, which happened mostly during the action and the characters figuring out what to do next was good enough though to save the book for me.

I really wish some of the usual angles, especially for Saira, that romance novels take this one didn't. That she would've, except for when she genuinely needed to be scared, stuck to script and been the self-confident ferocious shifter that she was. That it didn't try to take the 'it's not right if I just take you because you're naked even though you're throwing it at me because I'm a gentleman' angle. Even so far as to say the right thing to do would be to ask her dad to marry her at the end of the novel. I dunno maybe this is a period piece or something but the way Saira talked about her job and the way they talked about the world they are in did not give me period piece vibes.

Still, I'd recommend this. Even with its flaws, this book was definitely one I enjoyed. The action and adventure side of it is definitely worth reading it for.

Profile Image for Stephanie.
331 reviews1 follower
January 24, 2021
Paranormal creatures and being, romance, high seas, a hurricane and a reconnecting to his inner warlock! Both Saira and Rey have loved and lost and been lonely most of their adult life. That in itself can be hard on a person. Rey was stood up on his wedding and his fiance went off with the one guy who was out to kill his entire family. Saira was a model and getting older they aren't making things easy for her... she has lost her sister to the same man Rey's fiance took off with. They both come from paranormal families, Saira belongs to a family of panthers and Rey's family are warlocks. They have both been through happiness and tragedy and have found their niche in the world. Rey's cousin and family sent Saira to the boat in the middle of a hurricane to help with the monsters attacking his boat. Other monsters appear and one almost kills Saira. During the night they connect and things begin to un-bloom within each of them. The next few days put them to the test of their abilities and this new found connection, along with their inner selves. They figure out the puzzle on how to get rid of the sea hags but the path is not easy. Once they make it to their destination they again face a lot of trials before they get to their objective. Once there they must adjust the original plan and along the way they learn the reason behind the sea hags birth...once they take care of the sea hags both Rey and Saira head back to the boat and ride out the rest of the hurricane. During that time they both face their feelings for each other and this re connection with their inner selves and ba-boom they both realize they meant every word they said on the island! Happy endings and hopefully a step into another side of the Black Oak family.
I am really enjoying the stories where the characters are older and more lived in people!
I received this book as an ARC in exchange for my review....I hope you enjoy this delightful book as much as I did!
Profile Image for Andra Shaw.
739 reviews6 followers
January 16, 2021
What do you get when you put a model-gorgeous panther shifter with a super sexy handsome warlock fisherman on a boat being overrun by creepy sea arachnoid-stag hybrid monsters and a trio of sea hags on a boat in the middle of a hurricane? You get an action-packed, suspenseful paranormal romance that packs a lot of heat.

A Warlock's Storm: The Order of the Black Oak is an entertaining story that engages you from page one. It is the first in this series that is related to The Order of Black Oak collection of books. Saira and Rey are a great duo to battle the elements and the paranormal creatures out to kill them. Their chemistry is evident from the first encounter, and they help each other overcome a thing or two. I did not expect an insta-love story, and it works well in this story and with these characters.

The storyline itself is tied into The Order Of The Black Oak collection of books and can be read as a standalone. The overriding theme of the family first is definitely strong in this story and is why I love The Order of The Black Oak collection of books and now The Order of Black Oak Stories. The fights between Rey, Saira, the sea monsters, and the sea hags keep you on the edge and fun to read. The back story of why Rey isolates from his family and its tie into Saira's family is a bit of a surprise unless, of course, you read other books in the Warlocks of Blak Oak collection. It seems, though, that these two are fated to be together. It was also nice to see characters who are in their thirties and forty find love. It makes one hopeful.

1,131 reviews5 followers
January 22, 2021
A Warlock’s Storm is the first side story told within the Order of the Black Oak series and stands alone. Rey is out fishing, about to be hit by a tropical storm, he anchors at a haunted harbor. He might be in over his head, until panther shifter, Saira, arrives to help. But between the sea monsters and the revenants, will Rey and Saira escape with their lives in time to face a future together?

If I could pick two words for this romance, they would be action packed! This is a quick paced book, full of action, revenants, connection, passion, and finding out what it means to have someone by your side. Rey and Saira were a fascinating couple that captured my attention from the very first page! Rey is set in his ways, not one for the responsibility of magic, yet is willing to do whatever he can to save those within his circle. Saira quickly finds herself safe in his arms, but I loved that while she felt vulnerable through most of this book, she never gave up and continued to be courageous at the face of danger. I loved them together. I thought they were so sweet, both having a tiny bit of baggage and insecurities, but finding peace and comfort with the other. There’s a lot of action in this book that will have you on the edge of your seat, too! I really enjoyed reading this book and being connected again with the Order!
504 reviews
January 21, 2021
This is a wonderfully twisted, funny paranormal story with a side of romance. The main characters, Saira and Rey, are clearly attracted to each other from their first meeting but Rey resists because he has been burned by a paranormal woman before. Saira is a were-panther who appears on Reys fishing boat as he is fighting a nasty sea monster on his deck. Rey is a warlock from an ancient line of warlocks who is riding out a hurricane and the wild waves in a little harbor that is haunted. Before they can take a physical relationship for a trial run, they have to fight off 3 sea-hags who used to be nuns and their monster sea-minions. Due to the length of time that it takes for the hurricane to reach and pass them, they know they are in trouble since the hags and monsters just don't let up. The descriptions of the nasty creatures are as funny as they are horrifying if you think about them being real. During their fight against the creatures, Saira and Rey realize that they can depend on each other and trust each other. I now need to investigate other stories by Marie-Claude Bourque to read in the future.

Profile Image for Shayay.
2,293 reviews40 followers
January 21, 2021
Starts fun with warlock Reynolds aka Rey fighting a sea creature; luckily, panther shifter Saira comes along to help. Lots of creepy sea creatures to fight; fun danger! Also, there’s a bit of a ghost mystery that was interesting. Cool magic too! Rey is part of a powerful, magical family, but he’s been keeping his distance and he’s been spurning his magic Unfortunately, when all those sea monsters start attacking, his magic would really come in handy, but he’s definitely rusty with his spells. Some good chemistry between Rey and Saira. Rey has issues with trusting women since he was left at the alter, so things don’t exactly go smoothly when Saira makes her interest in him known. I wasn’t a fan of the whole Saira being a model scenario and that she seemed a bit too desperate when it came to sleeping with Rey, but she’s still a likable character. Rey is likable too. Sweet and passionate connection between them! Overall, a fun, entertaining read!
Profile Image for Debbie Benson.
3,484 reviews16 followers
January 20, 2021
I received a free copy of this book via Booksprout and am voluntarily leaving a review. Reynolds has been living the hermit fisherman life. He is stranded in the haunted Devil Eye Cove during a storm and fighting Makaras when Diesel sends Saira to help him. They end that threat for now and while Saira is willing to take things further than the kiss Reynolds gives her, he isn't. However their fight is not over as they are further attacked by sea hags and more Makaras. It is only stopped when they find the bones of the nuns who became the sea hags and bury them on consecrated ground or as near as they can. It is during this supernatural battle that Reynolds and Saira fall for each other. While that may seem quick, it was a highly charged fight to the death and they were talking and getting to know each other. The book flowed so smoothly that I was sorry when it ended.
Profile Image for Emily Pennington.
15.6k reviews186 followers
January 22, 2021
Reynolds Stanford is an experienced fisherman working along the coast of New England in his ship, Skyrunner. When a tropical storm comes up, he has no other option than to anchor at a haunted harbor. But a supernatural creature comes on board and Reynolds runs below to look for something to fight it. When he goes back on deck, there are even more creatures. A panther comes to his aid. Saira was sent to him to fight by his side. Can they escape everything that is trying to kill them?

This is a non-stop, action-packed page-turner that will grab the reader from the start and race off without pause! The characters are well portrayed, and the story line is intriguing. Grab your copy to see if there is a romantic interest about to develop with Saira, assuming at some point they might catch a break and stop to rest!
Profile Image for Caroline Doig.
5,300 reviews35 followers
March 2, 2021
Reynold is a warlock he threw that life away when he was betrayed especially by the woman that he loved when she ran away with another man now he lives his life as a fisherman. Saira is a panther shifter she only has one vulnerability and that’s giving her heart away to a man she lost the man that she loved when he ran away with another woman, Saira works as a model so there are plenty of men that she could give her body to but definitely not her heart. Reynold and Saira are thrown together when she is sent to help Reynold to keep the monsters from attacking his boat and during a hurricane they both get stranded on an island, they are attracted to each other but first they need to take care of the monsters. There is so much more going on in this fantastic story I loved it and I highly recommend this book it’s definitely well worth the read.
Profile Image for Donna.
703 reviews
March 28, 2021
A Warlock's Storm by Marie-Claude Bourque is Book 1 in The Order of the Black Oak - Stories. Excellent beginning to a new series. Reynolds, a warlock turned fisherman who has given up n his magic, and Saira, a panther shifter and former model, are well developed characters. Rey is on his ship Skyrunner docked in a haunted harbor waiting out a storm when it becomes overrun by sea monsters and the revenants. Saira arrives in the nick of time to help him out. Will they be able to overcome these creatures and survive? Will Rey and Saira find their HEA? This is a well written action adventure romance. Looking forward to more stories in this series. Received a copy from Booksprout and this is my voluntary review.
249 reviews3 followers
January 19, 2021
When Rey is stuck in a cove full of sea monsters and ghosts his cousin sends him a panther shifter the beautiful Saira to lend him a hand. What his cousin does not know is that not only will she help him fight but she will help him find his heart again and his magic. This is another great romance in the series of the Warlocks of the Black Oak. I highly suggest that you read this book and all the books in the series. But each is a stand alone with a HEA. As always I look forward for more from Marie-Claude Bourque .

Profile Image for Deb.
1,054 reviews
January 19, 2021
Wow! I was hooked from the start & didn't want to stop reading & finished it in one day! “A Warlock’s Storm” has a fresh unique plot that held my interest & kept me turning pages! ... I loved the chemistry between the H/h, Rye & Saira from the start, despite having to battle sea monsters & sea hags just to stay alive! ... A Warlock & a shifter, hmm against all odds, but will they make it? ... Even tho I volunteered to read this in advance, it was without any outside influences. So I can honestly recommend this to adult fans of fiction & those who especially love fantasy. Now I can’t wait for the next installment in this series!
Profile Image for Agata Jędrzejewska.
851 reviews3 followers
January 20, 2021
Nice story. I really liked Saira. She is strong, reliable and caring. Rey lived alone for so very long, refusing himself to get attached to anyone, barely keeping contact with family even. He is brave and ready to sacrifice himself for someone for whom he is not even sure he is feelings something, however he does. Saira was “sent” by Rey’s family to help him, since Diesel felt he will need the help. The fought, arm by arm dangerous monsters and hags. Working together the find solution to save themselves in more than one way. Nice story telling us that love can find us in the strangest moment and that you should fight till your last breath if your life is at stake.
623 reviews
January 12, 2021
I do like Rey, he is older than the usual males in these stories which I liked. There were many insecurities of the two main characters brought out, very true for people who have lived a bit and are sceptical of society. The bit of supernatural happenings gave it more depth than just a love story, true for all these books. Was great to have other characters which we have previously met included.

Profile Image for Melody Hillier.
1,135 reviews4 followers
January 15, 2021
Rey had left his warlock heratage and set to sea as a fisherman shortly after he was left at the alter by a young hedge witch who was only after him for his power. this has left him vulnerable to the terrors that haunt the depths.
Can his family help him to reunite with his magic and save not only his life but that of his mate?
this was a great short read and wonderful addition to this world of stories

6,675 reviews79 followers
January 19, 2021
This is a well written book with strong characters in Rey and Saira who have a strong chemistry. The author packs tons in this short read with all the action and suspense as well as the romance. It's an insta love paranormal romance with an adventurous story line. The story moves quickly and smoothly with perfectly painted scenes and is an entertaining read.

6,061 reviews19 followers
January 22, 2021
This is a great read in this series Rey is different from previous leading men he is older and he has given up his magic When he has to shelter his fishing boat in a haunted harbour it is debatable if he will survive that is until Saira Varma arrives through a portal She is a panther shifter sent by his family to help him Will she in fact save him and take him back to his magic something he gave up because of a woman and will it be a woman that leads him back to it You will have to read to see
1,247 reviews8 followers
January 25, 2021
I found this story to be a great metaphor for my recent personal experience. When someone is floundering in a storm of pain and loneliness, sometimes the best cure is sharing with someone who has been there. I am glad that Reynolds and Saira found each other, however unexpected their meeting might have been and I hope to find my own light in my storm.

I received a copy from the author and I am voluntarily leaving a review.
Profile Image for Ritu.
1,076 reviews3 followers
January 8, 2021
Reynolds enjoys his solitude, but receives assistance from Saira, when he is forced to deal with sea hags and a curse. The love between Saira and Rey is powerful. Thank you to the author for doing an inclusive romance. Love this book!

Profile Image for Rose Mcclain.
93 reviews
Loved it :) !!!!!
I loved how it's a romance but it's action as well. The book has them fighting to survive while falling for each other too. It's not 1 of those predictable stories, it's full of unexpected events. I enjoyed this book & fully recommend it to others.

Profile Image for Angela.
2,125 reviews9 followers
January 20, 2021
A new spin-off on the Black Oak series starts with handsome fisherman/warlock Reynolds being stranded in the midst of a storm. But will he accept the help he needs, in the form of a lovely panther shifter, or will his stubbornness and determination to remain free keep him from making the right choice? A slower burn, paranormal romance.
486 reviews6 followers
January 22, 2021
I enjoyed the story of Reynolds and Saira. It starts off with a fight for survival and introduces the main characters to each other and the action never lets up. Bourque knows how to write emotions and strength into her characters. I love her story telling and the steamy bits. She makes you feel like the people of the story are real.
Profile Image for Sunni.
186 reviews
January 23, 2021
Reynolds is a fisherman making a living by the coast after his fiancee leaves him at the alter and is not looking for love of any kind until he meets Saira. Can this fisherman find love again with a feisty model. There somethings that are mentioned in this book that makes reference to another series but it can still be read as a standalone. It was a good read and kept me entertained.
Profile Image for Natasha M. Lott.
174 reviews
January 27, 2021
Another great ebook to read. I am always intrigued by the world build up as well as the fantasy. It will keep you on the edge of your seat to find out what happens next. Definitely look forward to reading more ebooks like this.

Profile Image for Scarolet Ellis.
7,444 reviews45 followers
January 31, 2021
A WARLOCK'S STORM by Marie-Claude Bourque is a wonderful story to read. This is book number one in this wonderful start to a brand new series that I am so hooked on. I highly recommend this story to everyone who loves reading about fantasy and paranormal romance.

397 reviews2 followers
August 1, 2021
Enjoyable read, best to be read in sequence as this book reveals what previously happens in past stories.

Loner Rey Stanford is in trouble and at the mercy of ancient sea creatures, Saira is sent to help him where she helps dispatching them, but that is only the beginning of their troubles.

1,854 reviews4 followers
January 22, 2021
loved it !!! action packed, fast paced story...it's go, go, go...when Rey meets Saira, it's a fight for their lives...fighting monsters and curses are just natural ? right ? it just keeps going...wonderful !

Displaying 1 - 30 of 46 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.