Start by marking “There Is No Antimemetics Division” as Want to Read:
There Is No Antimemetics Division

There Is No Antimemetics Division

An antimeme is an idea with self-censoring properties; an idea which, by its intrinsic nature, discourages or prevents people from spreading it.

Antimemes are real. Think of any piece of information which you wouldn't share with anybody, like passwords, taboos and dirty secrets. Or any piece of information which would be difficult to share even if you tried: complex equatio
Published August 8th 2020

To ask other readers questions about There Is No Antimemetics Division, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about There Is No Antimemetics Division

Start your review of There Is No Antimemetics Division
Brent
Feb 11, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle, scifi
This book reads like the Laundry Files weird older sibling.

Time jumps and memory gaps are used effectively to convey the struggle against inhuman threats to memory and identity.

The plot spirals inward, sprinkling clues like breadcrumbs for you to piece together. If you like that kind of thing (as I do) it's great. But if you are looking for a fast-paced read with spoon-fed information, then this is not the tale you are looking for.
Tom
Jul 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm resisting the urge to write any sort of in-universe or knowing wink of a review, and you should too. It would be like whipping out your recorder and tooting along to a symphony orchestra.

This is a fantastic exploration of a particular SF/horror subgenre by the master himself. There are precursors and adjacent fiction - Langford's BLIT, the concept of "infohazards", The Laundry Files - but this is just on a different level.

Partly thanks to its origins on the web via the SCP Foundation proje
Tom
Jul 30, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: internet-fiction
Originality is off the chart, storytelling is a little thin in places. Hard to comprehend parts which could only be described in metaphor.
Tim Hill
Dec 31, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
As a premise, fantastic. Full of interesting ideas and some great storytelling, especially when focusing on human interactions. However, in broad sweep a disappointing book. If you start from an interesting logical premise, then add a shaky idea on top, then continue stacking shaky ideas one after the other, then eventually you get to a point where anything is true, and any statement you make about the storyline can possibly be true as well - but you have no way of knowing.

A great idea, pushed t
Kennon Carl Bauman
Jan 31, 2021 rated it it was amazing
A real brain buster

A clever sci fi novel rooted in the creepy pasta universe of the Foundation/SCP, fanciful in its approach to the war of ideas. Written more or less backward and then forward, keeping track of the thread is challenging but satisfying, building to an end that is not necessarily happy but certainly satisfactory.

It perhaps misses a few points for taking a wild approach to the damaging power of memes in a time when QAnon and its ilk do real damage to consensus reality, but perhaps
Kshitij Dewan
Feb 18, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
I really liked it!
wanted to read all of it at once.

it's fast, feels original, lots of action, & packed with concepts.
Anthony O'Connor
Dec 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Brilliant

Insanely clever. Brilliantly written. Every page captivating.
Can’t praise this novel highly enough.
Dark and brutal. Or ... what was I talking about ... um, probably nothing. Who are you again. ...
A very different take on history and the current day. And a set of ideas I haven’t encountered before. Awesome!!!
James Hughes
Nov 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
These stories scared the crap out of me. I think the idea of memes that are self-camouflaging, that eliminate their own traces, reflects a deep existential unease and questions about epistemological uncertainty, in a moment when 40% of Americans are lost in conspiracy theories, compounded by the near certainty of a future in which we will be able to manipulate perception and memory in a far more profound way. How do we fight an enemy that denies its own existence?
Jason Williscroft
Aug 31, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This person may be the new Charles Stross...

... and who knows, may be personally less of an a-hole. As binge-worthy as they come!! peanut butter peanut butter
Matt Woodcock
Dec 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
“How would you fight something that kills you if you think about it?”
Take a second right now and really think about how a creature like that would work: one that can’t harm you until you know it exists, and by then – it’s already too late for you. A monster that devours not just the victim, but the idea of the victim too. A thing whose footprints are the gaps in your mind where people you knew used to be.
“There is No Antimemetics Division” by qntm is the best kind of science fiction. It’s the ki
Aaron Curtis
Dec 13, 2020 rated it liked it
This book is a great idea in search of a story.

The core concepts are brilliant, and it's a relief to read about memes without any mention of lolcats. qntm spins the "antimemetics" premise into a few clever ideas and amusing situations, but then wanders off into unbounded horror fantasy where the rules become vague and the logic is sloppy, burying brilliance in muck. There are several edge-of-your-seat and laugh-out-loud moments, but there could have been so many more. The prose is fluent and eng
Allan Aksiim
Sep 24, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: think, sci-fi
What a book. Ideas contained within are worldclass, stylistic execution and plot less so. Still a wonderful read. Had me thrilled and in a very roundabout way reminded me of certain concepts in (view spoiler) series. ...more
John
Dec 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book is full of the big original ideas that make great science fiction. Eco-disaster, deadly pandemic, alien invasion, and Cthulhu madness novels pale in comparison to the threats imagined here. Yes, it's a little choppy to read, but it will hold you to the end and leave you with unsettling dreams. ...more
Hubert Taler
Jan 03, 2021 rated it it was amazing
I’m always impressed by the genre fiction that can be read and appreciated outside of the genre without any knowledge about the series or about particular fictional universe. This is such a case: I don’t know much about the scp universe more than it exists and is collectively researched on the internet. But still I think that this is a great science fiction book with some Philip K. Dick flavor.
Daniel
Jan 08, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I had no expectations going into reading this story, and i came out excited for the wider material. This story is incredible, engaging and actually quite offputting in places. When people describe lovecraft, this story is what I imagine, I am happy to have discovered it and would recommend it to anyone interested in scifi horror
Chris
Jan 21, 2021 rated it really liked it
Great read. Challenging subject. Interesting characters. Not your typical linear novel. A brain worm for me. Changed my way of thinking about memory, reality & the world. Wrapped up well in the end. Want to read something different, this is it.
Jason Pilon
Feb 11, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Twisted, unnerving, and unputdownable

This was a fascinating trip into heretofore unimaginable concepts. How can a thing bear properties that make it unobservable, and, when observed, unrememberable?
Doug
Feb 18, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: scifi
Wow! One of the most original books I've read. Hard to describe, so just go with the book's cover blurb. Very unusual subject matter, and experimental style. Not for everyone, but if you like weird books (such as Stross's Laundry Files), give it a try. ...more
Paweł Rusin
Aug 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was amazing, just as all the previous qntm books I've read. Can't wait the next ones! ...more
Mike Carnell
Oct 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Creative and engaging!

One of the most interesting books I have read. This author proves there is still new, fertile ground to be broken within the SciFi genre.
Salma Thabet
Nov 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing!
John Flanagan
Nov 16, 2020 rated it it was ok
I could not finish the book. Did not keep my interest or I was not taking the right mind-altering drug.
Don
Dec 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow, what a read.
Amín Romero
Dec 19, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book will change you. No need to remember why.
Eric
Dec 31, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Weird and jumpy, but for all the correct reasons. The jaggedness matched the memetic assault.
Randall Monk
Jan 11, 2021 rated it liked it
Such a great setup: A world with memory parasites, memory blockers, etc. And then a meandering plot, with some magical hand-waving as it ends.
Shai
Jan 21, 2021 rated it really liked it
Awesome story.
David
Jan 22, 2021 rated it it was ok
Incomrehensible

I made it through but don't know what I read. Only gave it 2 stars because I finished it, thinking all would be revealed. But no.
Nikolais Labans
Jan 24, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Wow!

The ideas, strange twists and world building keeps coming. Loved it! With an infectious writing style, every chapter opens up a new idea - it’s hard to put down.

Josh
Jan 26, 2021 rated it really liked it
Excellent eldritch horror, like Charlie Stross's Laundry Files crossed with Nick Harkaway's Gnomon. Great idea, well executed. ...more
Goodreads Librari...: This topic has been closed to new comments. Book under wrong author with same name 6 27 Jul 10, 2020 09:51AM

• Ra
  • The Expert System’s Champion (Expert System, #2)
  • Ed
  • Fine Structure
  • Logic Beach: Part I
  • Lockdown Tales
  • Five Five Five Five Five
  • The Fifth Science
  • Dead Lies Dreaming (Dead Lies Dreaming #1)
  • Phenomena
  • Sapience: A Collection of Science Fiction Short Stories
  • The Saints of Salvation (Salvation Sequence #3)
  • Now Will Machines Hollow the Beast (Machine Mandate Book 2)
  • Before the Coffee Gets Cold
  • Посёлок
  • How to Do Nothing: Resisting the Attention Economy
  • Terminus (Threshold, #4)
  • The Oppenheimer Alternative