Start by marking “Against My Better Judgment” as Want to Read:
Against My Better Judgment

Against My Better Judgment

(Mauzzy and Me Mystery #1)

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  55 ratings  ·  33 reviews
When freshman year at the University of Alabama draws to a close, Sara Donovan finds herself grappling with the same old question—listen to her head or follow her heart. What she ends up doing is purchasing an Egyptian souvenir funerary mask, and after a mysterious phone call, she's certain a ring of antiquities smugglers are operating in Tuscaloosa.

With finals never far
Kindle Edition
Published September 16th 2020 by The Wild Rose Press

To ask other readers questions about Against My Better Judgment, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Against My Better Judgment

Shelves: netgalley
Review coming soon.
Susan
Jan 11, 2021 rated it really liked it
AGAINST MY BETTER JUDGMENT is a fun cozy mystery that had me giggling out loud on quite a few of the pages. The situations that Sara Donovan finds herself in are hysterical and I just kept thinking, how the heck did that just happen? Sara is a freshman at the University of Alabama and works part time at a museum gift shop. That is where the fun begins. This fast paced story is filled with laugh out loud moments and so much mystery that the reader will not be able to put it down or stop giggling. ...more
Aisling
Sep 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Egyptian artifacts cozy

Loved this rolicking adventure as college girl turned sleuth solves a smuggling mystery and finds love along the way. Great fast paced action, tons of laugh out loud humor, snappy dialogue and just enough heat. A terrific cozy mystery!
Cheryl
Sep 16, 2020 rated it really liked it
This review can also be found in Currant7 Recommends

Disclosure: I received a complimentary copy of this book as an ARC in exchange for an honest and voluntary review.

Rating: 4 out of 5 stars

Things all started when Sara discovers that her simple museum souvenir isn’t what it is. Plus after a strange call, Sara starts doing a bit of probing on her own to make sure this wasn’t her overactive imagination. All this investigation and discoveries bring Sara closer to learn about a possible antique smug
N.N. Light
If you love a whodunit about antiquity thieves, then Against My Better Judgement is for you. Add to it the extra flavor - have the sleuthing taken on by a relatively witless freshman at Bama and you have never read a book like this. Sara is an interesting heroine. At times, her attempts at being a detective result like an outtake from a rather popular English flying circus.

Never has someone got hip-deep in such a multi-level mystery and tried to cram for finals too. The realistic presentation o
Rajiv

[Blog]::[Youtube]::[Twitter]::[Instagram]::[Pinterest]::[Bloglovin]

A cozy mystery revolving on Egyptology, black market, quirky characters with a cute dog? Yes please!

I loved the characters in the story. Sara is hilarious in the lead. I love how frazzled and quirky she is, and I laughed out loud with her snarky sense of humor. There were so many moments when I laughed at her situation, like when she sees the ROTC boys or kisses Grant with morning breath. Similarly, Mauzzy was just adorable a
Harlie Williams
Don't you love how I go from one extreme to the next when it comes to my reading?  I picked this cozy mystery because of the cover.  Yes, I'm a cover person.  It just spoke to me.  Plus, I'm a geek when it comes to Egyptology.  Yes, I'm the one that watches all the shows on the Science Channel on Sundays.  Go figure.  But I digress...

Sara is just a great character.  She has her flaws, in which some are hilarious and quirky but nonetheless, I loved her spunkiness.  In some of the situations that
Lina Hansen
Sep 16, 2020 rated it really liked it
"Against My Better Judgment" Is a lighthearted young adult mystery starring Sara Donovan, a slightly disorganised—nah, let’s be fair about it: super-dysfunctional college freshman with a mortal fear of germs who encounters a bunch of antiquities smugglers – just in time for finals.
Mauzzy to the rescue. Mauzzy is not the local sheriff, just in case you wondered. Nor is he a significant other of any form. That’s the privilege of the nicely-butted neighbour. No, Mauzzy’s a dachshund with extraordi
Sarah Lewis
Shelves: giveaways-read
I won this book in a goodreads giveaway. I feel like this book was a really fun and interesting concept. Who doesn't love Egyptian history and artifacts, a dog sidekick and a mystery? I wish the book was a little more fleshed out, but I am a details lover, I just felt there were parts of the story that got too rushed and a few others that drug on too long, and I felt the resolution was more simple than I wanted it to be. However, I loved the main character- she was almost too relatable/believabl ...more
Liza Bennet
Sep 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: those that enjoy a funny read and can extend their imagination.
SO STINKIN FUNNY!! 5 stars!! Love this book. I'm not sure which I love more, the main character's voice or her "roommate" dachshund. The mystery is great, love how it unfolds and I for sure kept guessing the entire time. Definitely recommend if you like amateur sleuths and funny light reads. I say light, but it isn't what I would call "Chick-Lit", it's different. Almost like Jennifer Crusie's "Agnes & the Hitman" or Kinsella or Cabot. If you prefer dark mysteries or super deep books, then this i ...more
Gina Stamper
Oct 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery
A very clever story line which kept me fully engrossed great characters and a very clever ending.

The author writes fluently and convincingly, and all the principal characters are well developed – easy to get to know and to empathize with. I felt the plot was well-paced throughout, and the ending just right. Perfect for the story, in fact!

The story kept me from putting the book down. There was plenty of action and nothing seemed far fetched. Quite happy to recommend this book, well written.
Jordan Mackinnon
Oct 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
I really liked this book! It’s the perfect start to what be a multiple book series which would be really enjoyable! It’s quirky, fun, with a hint of mystery and romance!!! I loved Sara ! Everything about her was an absolute delight to read about ! She is a hot mess who has an adorable dog and loses her phone constantly ! I am really looking forward to these characters being explored more in the following books !

Many thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for the advance copy !!!
Brittany
Sep 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing

I highly recommend this steamy cozy mystery!
Jyvur Entropy
Jan 15, 2021 rated it really liked it
Voice is so difficult to explain. A book either has a strong voice or it doesn't, and 'Against My Better Judgment' by B.T. Polcari HAS it.

This book is so voicey and the voice just absolutely made the book for me.

I'll admit, I don't read a ton of cozy mystery. It's not my go-to genre, but the premise of this book grabbed me right away.

Sara Donovan is attending the University of Alabama and working on a research project for her Egyptology course. When she receives a replica of a mask, she's unw
C. Gonzales
Oct 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery
Oh what fun this was. I loved Sara's snark and wit. She was quite fun to read about. She gets herself into a bit of a mess and it was an entertaining one to say the least. She has such a great voice to lead the story.

I loved the backdrop and setting, I think the author does a great job of highlighting those elements.

Danger and mystery ensue throughout and I think it was a wonderful case and kept me guessing. Overall a Fun Mystery!
Etta
Feb 22, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
Against My Better Judgement is a very entertaining and light-hearted cozy mystery that brings a sense of fun to the high crime world. I did not expect it to be as crazy and humorous as it turned out to be and it was a very pleasant surprise. The main character is a hot mess and it’s a roller coaster of a ride reading about her adventure trying to become a detective after she finds herself thrown in the middle. The entire tale will keep you guessing about how the mystery turns out and this st ...more
Andrea
Jan 07, 2021 rated it liked it
This is one of the quirkiest groups of characters I have read in a long time! Sara is a total disaster area, highly OCD with her safety rituals (although I can understand her germ phobia, especially right now), often sticking her foot in her mouth, and just plain old clumsy. I felt a sort of kinship with her because of all of that. She's also very smart with a keen interest in Egyptology, something I don't often come across in books these days.

One of her usual little mishaps gets her embroiled i
Debbie Rozier
Jan 11, 2021 rated it it was amazing
About the Book: Sara Donavan is a second semester freshman at the University of Alabama (Roll Tide). She lives in an apartment complex she calls “Sketchville”, has a boat load of hand sanitizer, a dachshund named Mauzzy, and works part time at the Dauphin Museum gift shop in Birmingham.
She loves Egyptian Artifacts and so when she accidentally spills fingernail polish on a funerary mask she used her employee discount to buy..it seems that the mask my be more than a souvenir.
Sara must try to fig
Shirley
Sep 28, 2020 rated it really liked it
I’d point out that this is the first book that I’ve read by P.T. Polcari, but since it’s the first book that he’s published, that doesn’t seem to be necessary. I’m also a self-admitted “not by the cover” reader, but I have to admit that I give whimsical covers a second glance – especially when I’m in the mood for something light. Just to be clear, Against My Better Judgment didn’t disappoint. The cover definitely set the mood for the pages in between. 😉

Sara was such a fun character. She had a kn
Happy Booker
Apr 05, 2021 rated it really liked it
Against my better judgment is a mystery, young adult fiction story about Sara Donavan, a freshman at the University of Alabama. She also works part-time at a museum gift shop. After purchasing a funerary mask, she receives a mysterious phone call, and that’s when she realizes her find is a unique stolen artifact. A once thought cheap souvenir is now a hot commodity, and to add more fun to the mix, a dashing teacher assistant joins the university.

The literature is filled with humor and fun. I rea
Nikki
Shelves: netgally
Against My Better Judgment (Mauzzy and Me Mystery) by B.T. Polcari
Publisher: The Wild Rose Press, Inc
Genre: Mystery & Thrillers | New Adult | Romance
Release Date: September 16, 2020

Against My Better Judgement is the first book in the Mauzzy and Me Mystery series by B.T. Polcari.

This was so much fun! Such a great cozy mystery, filled with snark, sarcasm and quick wit. The mystery was great and kept me guessing until the very end. I look forward to reading future books in this series!

Sara is a col
Sep 24, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: giveaway-winners
Sara is the perfect heroine -- or she's a giant mess! Honestly, they are one and the same. I greatly enjoyed this book in no small part to her character. She's smart, funny, stressed out, and very accident prone!

Sara is a college student nearing her finals when strange things start happening. She's dragged into (or runs toward) a (maybe) mystery. The book revolves around antiquities from Egypt and the black market.

Is there a conspiracy? Will Sara pass her finals? Who's the cute new guy next do
R.K. Emery
Sep 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery, new-adult
From the very first page this book had me hooked.

When I picked up this book, I was looking for something that was laugh-out-loud fun, and B.T. Polcari delivered. The characters are hilarious.

I had an amazing time getting to know Sara and the others we meet along the way.

The setting so lively and interesting. The plot twists were an adventure that I never wanted to end.

In my head these characters are still living on and causing mischief.

Wonderfully written and a perfectly wild ride. Bravo.
Liz
Nov 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
This was a fairly interesting mystery involving illegal ancient Egyptian relics. Its hook is that the main character, Sara, is a feisty, klutzy college freshman coed. She's sharp, spirited and does a nice job in digging up what's happening. Thrown into this mix is her great roommate, Mauzzy. There is a rather bland romance involved as well but it really didn't have much intensity for me; that's okay because I think Sara has quite a few adventures ahead before she is ready to get deeply involved ...more
Brandon
Oct 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Against My Better Judgment is a ton of fun to read! Sara is such a unique protagonist to follow because her behavior is right in that sweet spot between totally believable and bizarre. A college student busting up organized crime might seem like a long shot, but it somehow works. The humor is on point, the dialogue sizzles, and the mystery at the heart of this cozy mystery is well-grounded and believable.

This has sleeper hit written all over it.
Mary
Sep 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. It is funny to the extreme. Mauzzy obviously is the key character in this cozy mystery but he graciously shares the lime light with Sara, the passionate, observant and expert snap decision maker. My favorite chapter is “It’s go time” but I will let you decide which one is your favorite on your own.
Dianah Hoving Stedman
Jan 23, 2021 rated it liked it
Shelves: arc
The main character Sara was definitely quirky with her many OCD moments. I liked the mystery part of it but I wasn't a fan of the Egyptology theme with the main character - just seemed too far fetched.
Thank you to the author and Prism Book Tours for fulfilling my review request. All thoughts and opinions are my own.

Valerie
Sep 19, 2020 rated it liked it
I didn't like this book at first. The main character phobic about germ is off-putting, but about mid through I decided I liked it. The 2nd half of the book was better than the 1st half. It's the focus is definitely on Sara the main character and her personality. #AgainstMyBetterJudgment #NetGalley ...more
Lee Simpson
Apr 14, 2021 rated it liked it
Shelves: aty2021, 52bookclub
The main character is quirky and has some OCD issues, but for the most part I enjoyed her. The story just seemed a little slow to me in the beginning, but got better towards the end.
I received a free copy of this story and am leaving this review freely.
DAB-E
Apr 29, 2021 rated it liked it
This is a fun book and a quick read. Sara is a quirky character with questionable instincts. For those that enjoy a mystery with some twists and turns and fun characters, this would be a good summer read for you.

• After the Silence
  • The Winter Garden
  • Wave Me Goodbye
  • The Last Charm
  • Before We Get Carried Away: A Hollywood Love Story
  • Rescue Me
  • The Mission House
  • Spark (Burning Moon #1)
  • A Perfect Paris Christmas
  • Spirit and the Wolfman
  • The Woman Who Went Overboard
  • Half a World Away
  • Blood and Sand (The Collected Stories of Ramsbolt, #1)
  • Chasing Wild Horses
  • Mystery Bones Murders
  • A Whirl with My Mocha-Chocolate Swirl (One Scoop or Two)
  • Saints (Boxers & Saints, #2)
  • The Bigamist: The True Story of a Husband's Ultimate Betrayal
See top shelves…
Ever wonder what retired business executives do after they have put in years of effort for society and decide it is time to hang up their hat? Perhaps strolling along the country club’s fairway, or lounging on a 50-foot yacht?

Alas, B. T. Polcari is unlike your typical retired executive. Empty nester and Scarlett Knights alum, Polcari is still learning the meaning of “retired” while feverishly typi