Start by marking “Sinking City” as Want to Read:
Sinking City

Sinking City

On the streets of Venice, magic burns and wars wage, while powerful illusions and mind-bending magic keep the world of The Skilled hidden from ordinary people—or typics. The powerful Mardova Family rules Venice with an iron fist, keeping their powers secret and their eyes on their enemies.

Zan Mardova would rather use his magical Skills to do tricks on his motorcycle or f
Kindle Edition
Published by Garden Ninja Books

To ask other readers questions about Sinking City, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sinking City

Start your review of Sinking City
Debbie Eyre
Feb 23, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Who would have thought of a hidden magical world based in Venice the sinking city. Fast paced, action packed and so full of adventure, dark secrets and bright magic this is a fun exciting Read filled with romance and wonder and great characters. Loved the storyline, loved the characters and I loved the awesome world building. Can’t wait to read more!
Dana
Dec 31, 2020 rated it really liked it
Sinking City reminded me of a mash up between Shadowhunters and the Volturi from Twilight (hold on before you judge that... just talking about the structure of magical Italian politics). It's one of those YA stories that has action from sentence one straight through to the last page. Set in Venice you have all of the beautiful ambience of the ancient city with the tradition and politics of a magical Mafia.

Zan is our main male character who is the son of one of the Capo's and is like most teen s
Katheyer
Oct 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
“Sinking City” marks the start to the new Urban Fantasy “The Skilled” Series, by Janci Patterson and Megan Walker. The story takes place contemporary Venice, where an underground magical society, composed of powerful families that wage magic wars while keeping the normal human population none the wiser. The most powerful family; the Mardovas, rules the city with an iron hand, exercising total control over her enemies and keeping all magic secret deeply buried.

Zan Mardova (MC) has never showed an
Beth ~~Just One More Chapter I Swear~~
~~~~ 2.5 Stars ~~~~

This read was a quick, fun, lighthearted romp through the streets of Northern Italy. The descriptions of the backdrop alone made me yearn to visit... wade knee deep in canal water, walk its historic streets... gawk at its renowned architecture, be paddled around the canals in the world famous gondolas, eat my fill at a Saint's festival and drink coffee at a street Cafe with a flirty companion. The world building was great... probably the best part of the book... well, that and
Daydreamer
Nov 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
I got an Arc of this book in exchange for an honest review. Thank you!

Review: 4,5/5 stars

Synopsis:
Ellie has moved with her family and now lives close to Venice. When exploring said city with her brother, she runs into Zan and his friends, who seem a little bit odd to her. Soon, she finds out about fighting families and magic and that she is at the core of their conflict.

I´ll be honest, the beginning of it all reminded me a bit of The Mortal Instruments, of Clary and Jace and so on. That changed
Michelle Griffith
Oct 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book took me on a journey I wasn't expecting, with twists, turns, illusion and magic galore. I did enjoy the journey and the descriptions of the places made me feel like I had visited there with them. The story was good to follow. ...more
Jennifer Bair
Oct 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This was an awesome book, set in Italy and full of action-packed adventure with powerful warring families, magic, and hot guys on motorcycles. The descriptions made me feel like I was there, and now I need to buy a plane ticket to Italy. Well, maybe not during a pandemic...
Jacquie
Oct 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Excellent read! Kept me entertained from start to finish , can’t wait for more books!!
Cait | GoodeyReads
Thank you to the authors for a copy. All opinions are my own!

WELL.

BLOG || INSTAGRAM

This was unfortunately disappointing. Urban fantasy is a tough genre for me to get into, and that how it felt here too. I do think a younger audience would be more into some of the tropes/story lines than I was though.

Insta-romance abounded for these two teens. There was one cute date, and then BAM. Couldn’t be without each other. It wasn’t that Zan and Ellie didn’t have chemistry, I just wanted more of a build-u
Winona
Felicia
Jan 14, 2021

• When We Fell
  • In a Holidaze
  • Bite of the Past (A Bite of the Past, #1)
  • Angeles Betrayal (Angeles Vampire, #3)
  • Fate of the Vulture (Reapers of Veltuur, #3)
  • Howl for the Damned Box Set (Howl for the Damned, #1-3)
  • Shadow Seeker
  • Sword and Mirror (Yokai Treasures, #1)
  • Introductory Lectures on Psychoanalysis
  • With a Vengeance
  • The North Wind Descends (The Lord Hani Mysteries #4)
  • An Inquiry into the Nature and Causes of the Wealth of Nations
  • Loose Ends In Yokohoma: A Story of A Man On A Mission To Make Peace With His Past
  • The Etymologicon: A Circular Stroll through the Hidden Connections of the English Language
  • Moonstone Academy: Year One: A Mayhem of Magic World Story
  • Uriel's Lariat (Celestial Academy, #3)
  • Bloody Mad (The Legacy of a Vampire Witch #2)
  • Bloody Hell (The Legacy of a Vampire Witch #1)
Megan Walker lives in Utah with her husband, two kids, and two dogs-all of whom are incredibly supportive of the time she spends writing about romance and crazy Hollywood hijinks. She loves making Barbie dioramas and reading trashy gossip magazines (and, okay, lots of other books and magazines, as well.) Megan has also written several published fantasy and science-fiction stories under the name Me ...more