Start by marking “The Cultural Creatives: How 50 Million People Are Changing the World” as Want to Read:
The Cultural Creatives: How 50 Million People Are Changing the World

The Cultural Creatives: How 50 Million People Are Changing the World

ARE YOU A CULTURAL CREATIVE?

Do you dislike all the emphasis in modern culture on success and “making it,” on getting and spending, on wealth and luxury goods?

Do you care deeply about the destruction of the environment and would pay higher taxes or prices to clean it up and to stop global warming?

Are you unhappy with both the left and the right in politics and want to find
Published October 2nd 2001 by Broadway Books (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about The Cultural Creatives, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Cultural Creatives

Start your review of The Cultural Creatives: How 50 Million People Are Changing the World
Christina
Aug 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing
The Cultural Creatives: How 50 Million People Are Changing the World was a life-changing book.

I do not align with any liberal, democratic, conservative or republican party, as government has failed to tackle the issues addressed in this book.

So, unlike the Amazon.com reviewers, I do not fault the authors of this book for being liberal or left in their politics.

My only beef is not with the book but with the Cultural Creatives ourselves: I regret we lack the political clout to effectively change "
Laurie Gray
Jan 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Culteral Creatives are those who care deeply about humanity and are committed to saving the planet and pursuing social justice through self-actualization and/or spiritual wisdom. In contrast to Moderns (those who accept current mainstream systems) and Traditionals (those who reject current mainstream systems and look backwards for solutions), Culteral Creatives inwardly depart from the Modern materialistic worldview and seek to go beyond current systems to bridge an old way of life with a new, m ...more
s
Mar 02, 2009 rated it liked it
i think the authors missed the boat here--it's not simply that the cultural creatives are changing the world--but HOW are they co-opting power in the name of "good work". who are these cultural creatives? white, middle to upper class, vegetarian, yoga practicing, trader joes shopping, well-educated...etc., etc. (read bobos in paradise for an ironic description.) the concept that these "cultural creatives" are somehow a tiny segment of the population is absurd. i truly believe that this book begs ...more
H.M.
May 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: activism
★★★★★ The Cultural Creatives: How 50 Million People are Changing the World, by sociologist, Paul H. Ray and psychologist, Sherry Ruth Anderson which came about after 15 years of extensive research is a fascinating, detailed, nuanced and easily-readable work.

This compelling book provides historical and detailed macroscopic overviews, interspersed with microscopic interviews with Cultural Creatives from many walks of life, and the fascinating and inspiring stories they each have to share.

It descri
Angelica Archangelica
Aug 14, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfic
Dated but relevant, mostly I just read the earlier chapters and skipped all individual anecdotal sections.
Charles Goforth
Aug 01, 2016 rated it liked it
My only significant criticism is that this book is 100 pages longer than it needs to be.

But it was fun to consider the phenomenon of Cultural Creatives, who they are and what they aspire to. I found reassurance and wisdom in knowing that serious people see the inevitability (and dire necessity) of a world-wide reevaluation of our relationship with each other and the planet.

Nervous reviewers here who feel the need to offer snarky crticism from old binary political poles confirm the very conditio
Katey
Apr 29, 2008 rated it liked it
I like the premise of this book, and certainly felt a fit for myself, looking at the values of the cultural creatives... I suppose I would have enjoyed a shorter treatise on this... after I while, I skimmed and selected sections rather than studiously reading the entire book. Still, it's interesting... I like how premises go "outside the box"--that's a great fit for me!
Chinarut Ruangchotvit
a must read if you love bridging and fusing cultures together!
Tara Joyce
May 09, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Learn about your subculture, the Cultural Creatives. I mean really learn about it. See how common our values are. It's a thick read but if you like cultural studies, you'll like this.
Liz
Dec 20, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: bethechange
IF you are a friend of mine you are mostly likely in this demographic... and this is a great read if you want to understand a world changing co-hort - Of which you are in all likelyhood a part...
katie
Aug 06, 2020 rated it liked it
Definitely outdated but still relevant if you are involved with social justice movements. Interesting perspective if you want to get a sense of the history of social movements and the emergence of “Cultural Creatives”.

What is a “Cultural creative” you may ask? From the book, they are described as over 50 million “earth loving, neither right winged or left winged, spiritually religious and socially involved people”. I however, after reading through all the personal anecdotes and hype of their wo
Natalía Papadopoúlou
Dec 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cultural, sociology
The authors, sociologist and psychologist in profession, conducted research in 100.000 Americans. They figured out there is a third sub-culture emerging beyond the traditionalists and the modernists, the cultural creatives. The cultural creatives believe they are minority, because they are not mainstream to be seen, but they are not. They probably are the drive of the next era after the modern Industrial Age. The book is quite thorough with all the social movements that changed America, and that ...more
Ellyn
Jan 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Cultural Creatives is THE affirming guidebook for Millenials that need confidence about where we are and where we need to head in the current political climate. Couldn't recommend this more, even with it being decades old information because the projections foretold for 2020 are incredibly on point!!
Pranada Comtois
Mar 01, 2017 rated it liked it
This extensively researched book has good information about the sector of American society that comprises people who think outside mainstream consumerism. The term "Cultural Creatives" coined by the authors didn't stick and is not commonly used. I got the book to learn how to identify my fellow Americans I would like to connect with. Some information along those lines can be gleaned from this text but don't expect much in terms of practical direction in this regard.
Benedict
Jul 25, 2007 rated it it was amazing
finally a book that describes the cultural group of people I feel at home with!

What a relief! For years I felt a sense of isolation and discomfort with my place in "Mainstream Media Soccer Mom" culture - a growing weariness about the shadowside of modernism's incessant fascination with unbridled materialism devout of spiritual meaning while simultaneously abhorring the neo-traditionalist fundamentalist longing to return to a more orderly authoritarian era that never was...

Now Paul Ray and Sherry
JoAnn
Aug 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing
In this book, Paul Ray and Sherry Ruth Anderson describe a growing cultural movement that transcends political and geographic boundaries. They identify the values that mark Cultural Creatives, and distinguish them from two other main groups in American society: Traditionals and Moderns. The authors assert that the Cultural Creatives are a growing force in our global society, whose beginnings can be traced back to the 60’s. It has taken 40 years for those seeds to take hold, and the authors link ...more
Web Webster
Jan 25, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: abandoned
As I said, boring and one-noted. What happens when enough people respond positively to a TEDtalk? Unfortunately, these days you write a book. While this one was first published before TED hit the scene, its combination of storytelling and data will feel familiar to anyone who's spent 20 minutes staring at YouTube watching someone spin a bit of data into thinly veiled pitch for their consultancy or "virtual brand experience creatitorium

I rarely abandon books entirely. This one's going back up on
Websterdavid3
Nov 20, 2013 rated it it was ok
i could be very wrong.

legerdemain with statistics to try to typify 50 million in world who are very special, pro-women, creative, just bonny. Problem is that they aren't that different than many others... and don't self-identify or act in coherent way.

oh well, another book that could have been a New Yorker article and saved a lot of trees.
Sep 16, 2011 rated it liked it
A useful description by a sociologist and a pyschologist of the elements of our culture and the addtion of the "creatvies" to the Traditional and modern mindsets that govern the way we operate in socieity. While the book is interesting, it is also very long-winded in a '60s "Peace,man!" -which is to say,not very concrete,sort of way.
Mary
Jan 24, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I'm really enjoying what I'm learning about this large and largely unknown segment of the U.S. population. As one of them it's encouraging to realize how many of us there are. It may be that the election of Barack Obama is one of the first signs of how much potential impact Cultural Creatives can have when acting in concert.
Faye
Nov 05, 2009 rated it really liked it
Interesting cultural breakdown into Traditionals, Moderns, and Cultural Creatives. Moderns being consumer/career focused and Traditionals wanting to return to "old ways" or their perception of what use to exist. Cultural creatives look forward and are what we are evolving towards, I am there!
Mark
Jul 12, 2008 rated it really liked it
Cultural Creatives is an important idea that needs to be put right up beside Florida's Creative Class. The authors take a sociological lens, not an economic one, in understand the emerging shared values of a sociological grouping with the desire and ability to change everything.
Lenny
Jan 19, 2016 added it
Easily one of the best, and most accessible books to read about culture change. An inspiration, for me, to ways to face some of the challenges that the dominant culture practices today. Also, very focused on the 'inner' journey; the process and transformation. I really enjoyed this book.
Annette
May 26, 2006 rated it really liked it
Are you a cultural creative? This is one of many interesting questions posed by this book. Focusing on the distinct values and lifestyles of a subset of the population, I felt like they were profiling my life.
Nspirebliss Meyer
Dec 01, 2008 rated it really liked it
I wish there was more written about Cultural Creatives.
Eunice
this book is intimidatingly large. and square (the pages, that is).
Zachary
Jan 15, 2013 rated it really liked it
I'm a Cultural Creative ^^
John
Jan 17, 2009 rated it it was ok
Shelves: culture-studies
Informative: on the merging of feminism, environmentalism, New Age spirituality, and a host of other movements.
Robert
Sep 03, 2014
Anthony
Mar 26, 2016

• Silent Spring
  • The Illusion of Money: How Chasing Money Is Stopping You from Living
  • I Hope I Screw This Up: How Falling In Love with Your Fears Can Change the World
  • The Death and Life of Great American Cities