Jump to ratings and reviews

TDAH: La Vida Es Bella

De la pluma reflexiva de la talentosa autora Nico J. Genes surge una verdadera historia de descubrimiento, amistad y aceptación incondicional.

Peter es un joven lleno de energía que por la vida siente un hambre y entusiasmo insaciables. Llena sus horas de actividades con tanta emoción como la que tiene un canguro en el campo abierto. Sin embargo, su alegría no suele ser recíproca por quienes lo rodean. Lo miran con el ceño fruncido y los ojos perspicaces. Rehuyendo y, finalmente, marchitando su vivo espíritu.

Amablemente, la autora Nico le ofrece a Peter y a su devota madre algo que no les resulta tan fácil de aceptar: una verdadera amiga. A través de una serie de intensos altibajos, Nico se acostumbra gradualmente a Peter y reconoce lo que muchos otros claramente extrañan... su hermosa alma. Obligado a enfrentar la intolerancia social e institucional por cualquier cosa que sea “diferente”, Nico se une a Peter y su madre mientras luchan por proteger sus derechos. Una lucha por mantener encendida su luz interior a pesar de la nube de desprecio que con frecuencia recae sobre su pequeña cabeza.

En un mundo perpetuamente manchado de críticas y acusaciones, llega una historia inspiradora acerca del amor, amistad y esperanza basada en hechos reales. Una historia en la cual un niño inocente diagnosticado con TDAH consigue ser aceptado y atesorado por lo que realmente es, y no simplemente por lo que la sociedad espera que sea. Una historia en la cual la amabilidad y la armonía llenan sus días a pesar de las abrumadoras probabilidades.

La vida es dura, pero puede ser muy hermosa.

Esta es una traducción del inglés al español latinoamericano.

218 pages, ebook

First published April 13, 2019

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Nico J. Genes

5 books119 followers
Nico J. Genes has traveled and worked with many exciting and unique people of different nationalities, religions, and sexual orientations, all of whom helped her understand diversity and accept everyone just as they are.

With her first two novels, Magnetic Reverie and Reverie Girl, she successfully broke the ice into writing. From her readers’ feedback and reviews, Nico can proudly say she has a solid confirmation of her skills as an established writer. An essential element of her writing is that she always has a message she wants to transmit. Her motto sums up: We are all different, and that’s okay!

Besides novel writing, Nico also runs a blog in which she talks about life’s issues and gives the kind of friendly advice everyone needs at specific points in their lives. The positive feedback from her readers became her inspiration for her third book, Lessons in Life.

Continuing her mission of welcoming all diversity and pleading for tolerance and acceptance, she wrote the novel ADHD: Life Is Beautiful, based on a true story.

Nico is eager to hear from you on www.nicojgenes.com or her social media accounts:

www.facebook.com/nicojgenes
www.twitter.com/NicoJGenes
www.instagram.com/nicojgenes_writer

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
1 (2%)
1 star
0 (0%)
Displaying 1 - 30 of 32 reviews
Profile Image for Clemens Schoonderwoert.
1,089 reviews79 followers
May 12, 2019
This lovely humane non-fiction book is about the author's real life-experience when she meets her (new) friends Mom, Eliza and her son, Peter, and both are suffering from ADHD, the son some more than his mother, and that's why this story is more focussed on Peter.
It's a really enjoyable non-fiction book to read about this boy, Peter, who has ADHD, and about his functioning in life in general as well as with people, and how he's trying to deal with it all.
The story is a relaxing but at the same time a sensitive telling of the author's friendly relationship with Eliza and her son, Peter. (names are fictional due to anonymity)
What the book also reflects is that to show patience is often the best way to learn and to know these people, and that includes to accept and befriend them for who and what they are.
I as a non-professional volunteer at a local football-club also worked with children from the age of 9 until 14-15, and some of them had ADHD, and for me patience with those children was the key, and if you give them trust, love and friendship, they will return it in full and so much more besides that!
What the book will also show you is that love, understanding and awareness is very important towards accepting and appreciating each other in every path of life.
It's certainly not an education lesson, but it's more of a friendly gesture by showing you that life can be very beautiful with different kinds of people, and thus absolutely also with wonderful humans with ADHD.
Really recommended, for this is truly a lovely book that has been written with a warm intention and wonderful dedication, and that's why I just want to say: "Life Can Be Very Beautiful"!

* I like to thank the author for my ARC in exchange for an unbiased and honest review!*
Profile Image for Dianne.
6,766 reviews589 followers
April 28, 2019
My Rating: 4.5 Stars

Nico Genes has written a heart-warming story of friendship, of love, of support and acceptance from the point of view of the friend. This true story will resonate with those who know of or have ADHD and understand the stigma often associated with it.

The things anyone with ADHD needs is acceptance for being different, patience for those uncontrollable differences and an environment where they can grow to their full potential. Parents of a child with ADHD know the stress, the feeling of being on their last nerve and the pain of watching their child be ostracized by both their peers and the adults who should know better.

Sadly, even in today’s “enlightened” society, where we must tip toe through the minefields of “shaming” or “offending” those who are able to articulate, the ones who truly deserve to be given a pass aren’t. Since when has it been politically correct to not protect those who truly are different through no fault of their own? Medications do not always work, dietary changes do not always work, but compassion never should be ignored, yet, how often have you heard, “Kids can be so cruel?” (And where did they learn that?)

ADHD: LIFE IS BEAUTIFULis a simple story of caring and acting on what we know is right!

Publication Date: April 15, 2019
Publisher: Nico Genes
Genre: True Story | Inspirational | Parenting
Print Length: 209 pages
Available from: Amazon | Barnes & Noble
For Reviews, Giveaways, Fabulous Book News, follow: http://tometender.blogspot.com
Profile Image for Nico Genes.
Author 5 books119 followers
March 26, 2021
I wrote it and it's hard to think less of my own book:)

This isn't a review though, as I'm the author, but I'm going to use this space to thank my two friends with ADHD.

You both enriched my life at so many levels, and I don’t think I will ever be able to thank you enough. The words that would capture the depth of my feelings haven’t been invented yet.

***Currently my true story is available for 3.99$***
FREE with Kindle Unlimited
Profile Image for Benedict Stuart.
Author 7 books58 followers
May 3, 2019
Hot Topic

Yes, life is beautiful indeed. We need to find beauty wherever we are.
Whatever the situation, we are humans after all and should accept our differences, uniqueness, various or unusual talents etc.
Very impressive firsthand experience with little kids that are to be raised in a supportive, friendly environment. A daunting task in itself when being surrounded by hostility, misconceptions and narrow-mindedness.
Overall, quite philosophical, educational, uplifting and emotional.
Highly recommended for parents, teachers and educators.
Profile Image for Sharon.
4,152 reviews27 followers
May 16, 2019
There are a lot of children diagnosed with ADHD who are attending regular schools and living with parents who are doing the best they can. This is a true story about a mother and her son who faced the daunting task of surviving in a world that does not understand the full extent of ADHD and its effects on the family. This book is written from the standpoint of love and compassion, of understand and caring. By writing this book the author is bringing ADHD to the forefront, it’s giving people an opportunity to take a glimpse in to another person’s life and see it from their perspective. ADHD doesn’t have to be a negative diagnosis if society chooses to accept it and those who have it for who they are and how wonderful they are, life can be beautiful for everyone regardless of any diagnosis. This is a wonderfully written book and it makes you stop and think. It only takes a few hours to read and yet it can change your outlook on this and other diagnosis forever and for the better.
Profile Image for Winifred Morris.
Author 14 books29 followers
September 30, 2019
I was captivated by this book. It grabbed me and didn’t let go until I had reached the end. It is a powerfully emotional story of the author’s experience with a woman friend and her son who are sometimes warm and sweet, and sometimes very irritating. The author does a terrific job of pulling the reader into incidents that overwhelmed her, especially when the boy didn’t appreciate something she had done for him. Then she would become angry and behave badly herself. This, of course, is what can happen when confronted with someone with a mental disorder. I personally have more experience with schizophrenia, Alzheimer’s, and bipolar disorders, but in general we expect people to behave more or less the way we do. We accept some variation, but if their behavior is outside what we’ve come to expect, we’re uncomfortable. We don’t know how to respond, and sometimes this makes us anxious. If their behavior is rude or annoying, it is easier to assume they’re doing this willfully that to accept that they’re victims of the strange and wonderful mechanisms of our brains. I believe we all find it difficult to grasp the fact that our brains, which we experience as consciousness and the seat of our personality, is a mass of tissue pulsing with electrical and chemical signals, and those electrical and chemical signals can have dramatic effects on our consciousness and personalities. The author’s story, much of which is well-described in vivid scenes, shows what a challenge it can be when a child’s behavior doesn’t fit the standard expectations, for anyone who comes in contact with the child, and for the child himself.

I’m not sure, however, that the book is exactly what it says it is. No one should come to it expecting to learn more about ADHD and in particular how to treat it. The message of the book is to accept people the way they are, which is a fine message, but it’s a pretty general one. I also felt it was repeated a bit too often. As for children with ADHD, all the book says is that although they may have some issues with it all their lives, just wait and they’ll get better as they get older. And there are some very atypical aspects to the story. It is often a child’s teacher who first raises the question of ADHD, but this boy’s teachers not only never suggested it, at first they refused to believe this might be an explanation for the kid’s problems in school. Where I live, in the US, there is concern that ADHD is being over-diagnosed, and over-medicated. Kids are lined up at the nurse’s office at noon to get their meds. This book takes place in an unnamed European country that may not be overdoing the issue, but several people in the book expressed surprise at the school’s reaction, and although the doctor who diagnosed the child mentioned the possibility of therapy, there is no mention of any kind of follow-up on this.

So although I was pulled into the emotions of the story, this is basically a memoir of the author’s personal growth as she came to care deeply for these people who were so different from her rather than a book about ADHD.
Profile Image for Bernard Jan.
Author 10 books216 followers
December 16, 2019
ADHD: LIFE IS BEAUTIFUL is a warm, gentle and beautifully told true story of a boy adored by his mother and bullied by his friends and judged by others because of being different. It is a touching and emotional testimony of true friendship which endures everything, knows no boundaries, and keeps promises of a happier future. By telling us about her little friend Peter, the boy suffering from attention deficit hyperactivity disorder, Nico has unlocked our hearts and poured her love into them so we can live with a better understanding of others and accepting their differences. No other way it should be.
Profile Image for Lynn Lawler.
Author 3 books16 followers
August 26, 2019
This story is told from the third person and is from the author's point of view. Eliza and her son Peter and friends of the author/narrator. The author/narrator writes about how Eliza and Peter's friendship positively changed her life.

Eliza can be short-tempered and abrupt when she feels uncomfortable. She does off the wall things that no one can explain. At the same time, she has a great heart and is very dedicated and loving to her son, Peter. Her stubbornness gets in her way at times. She sometimes suffers from low self-esteem and keeps her feelings to herself.

I enjoyed the author's role in the story. She is very loving, patient, and understanding. She does things diplomatically and never allows her emotions to get the best of her. Her calm manner allows her to be in the moment. During the story, she talks about feeling timeless and appreciates all things in life. I loved the way she spoke highly of Peter.

The author educates us on things like childhood bullying and how bad it's after-effects can be. She also included other words of wisdom that I found helpful in understanding a person with ADHD.

I saw how both Eliza and the author/narrator do what they could to control Peter's temperaments. At times it seemed like a struggle and I was able to understand their feelings and frustrations. I could see what the author/narrator went through when she was babysitting him.

During the story, I felt an array of emotions and at times felt tears. I really felt for Peter and what he was going through; I understood him. I was happy he had two loving adults in his life helping him along in his life.

The way the story reads is gentle and smooth. The pace of the story is moderate and the plot itself is very interesting. Like the rest of the author's books, the descriptions are excellent. I learned a lot about ADHD and how it doesn't have to hinder anyone's life. I saw with my own eyes and it was amazing.

Everyone should read this book. It is an eye-opener that will touch you.
Profile Image for Ann Birdgenaw.
Author 5 books89 followers
February 27, 2022
ADHD: LIFE IS BEAUTIFUL by Nico Genes is a sweet, non-fiction story based on her own life; and a lesson to us all to look beneath the surface to find something wonderful. Nico’s friend Eliza and her son Peter are struggling with ADHD, but what does this label really mean? To most people it imparts a negative impression of someone who can’t control themselves, is badly behaved or not intelligent; sometimes all three. This is the stigma Peter deals with as an energetic, spirited child who is full of life. The author throws back the curtain to show us that a little patience, understanding and love can go a long way in helping children (and adults too!) with this diagnosis to cope and blossom and simply be accepted for who they are. Isn’t this what any of us wants and needs, especially the young ones? A lovely story with important themes of unconditional love and kindness.
Profile Image for Kaia Misk.
Author 2 books23 followers
April 27, 2020
ADHD Life is Beautiful by Nico J. Genes follows the story of a boy named Peter and his mother, Eliza. From Peter’s earliest years in school, he exhibits behavior that is different from others. Yet, he is very intelligent. Eliza is constantly concerned about Peter. The impact of his behavior made him unpopular with both children and adults in their small town. Eventually, Peter is diagnosed with ADHD.

The author tells a very personal story here. I do not know any children with ADHD and, therefore, was unable to relate to this story. I do not know if the work is fact or fiction. However, the characters are well-developed in this book.

This is not a genre that I enjoy, but I believe those with ADHD children in their lives would be very pleased with it.
Profile Image for Sillwana.
19 reviews
September 30, 2019
A bit sad but funny and heart-touching story. I can relate to it. Wish I could meet Peter and Eliza in person. I'd love to see how their lives goes on.
Profile Image for Bruce Perrin.
Author 11 books81 followers
May 5, 2019
Share in this author’s true story of discovery – of ADHD and of herself

In the book ADHD: LIFE IS BEAUTIFUL, author Nico Genes shares her story of meeting and befriending a single mother and her young son. It chronicles her early experiences with them, marked by frayed nerves, exhaustion, and hurt feelings when the child can’t seem to focus or hold still for more than a few moments. It also describes some unacceptable behavior by a teacher and a principal. Hopefully, that section represents an isolated pocket of indifference and lack of knowledge, as health organizations estimate between five and ten percent of all children suffer from the condition; otherwise, there are a lot of children being marginalizing by the educational system. Eventually, the young man is diagnosed with Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD), the doctor adding that the mother probably has the same condition. The book is also a story of the author’s growth, as she comes to recognize new qualities in herself as a result of the friendship. “This new part of me enjoyed the smell of a lavender field rather than the scent of the most expensive perfume. I was now living for the moment, and one benefit of this was it helped me get through the other less pleasant times.”

Some of the book is descriptive prose, generally to establish the setting – often near the sea with the sun, sand, and warm, salty breezes. But most of the book is either a glimpse into the author’s philosophy on life or an account of her experiences with her friends. The former is quite positive and sunny, as you might guess from the title. The latter describes the challenges, growth, and development of the characters in direct, simple prose. It almost feels like something from a diary, except for the dialog.

While there is no cure for ADHD (as of the time of this review), there are treatments to help manage the symptoms ranging from medication to behavioral therapies. And while I’m not suggesting the author should have changed the nature of her book – it was not intended as a self-help guide – some of its current content seems too fatalistic, e.g., “He may repeatedly get in trouble for having a cluttered room, even after being told to tidy it up. I know now that this is beyond him.” While patience and acceptance are clearly part of the solution, behavioral change is often possible. Well-structured environments with clear responsibilities, both at home and at school, have helped many children with ADHD. So, while the book is correct in saying, “Some things are written in our genes, and can’t be changed” that doesn’t mean parents have no recourse.
Profile Image for Joshua Grant.
Author 24 books237 followers
September 5, 2020
Nico Genes highlights the struggle and beauty in what is different with ADHD: Life is Beautiful! Young Peter struggles to find acceptance, both societal and institutional, because of his ADHD. Join Peter, his mother, and author Nico in a beautiful and realistic look at a human difference and the reaction to it. Genes’ novel is realistic and touching, brought to life by her powerful descriptions! This one will make you feel something (I certainly cried a couple times within it)! If you want to take a different look at life with ADHD or simply want to read something that will hit you in the heart, definitely check this one out!
Profile Image for Judy Ferrell.
Author 13 books82 followers
October 18, 2021
Acceptance

This marvelous story by Nico J. Genes is all about acceptance. it shows us all that each person is different and we are unique but liveable in that difference. A great read for everyone!
Profile Image for David Øybo.
Author 1 book9 followers
August 10, 2022
As someone who has previously read Nico J. Genes’ two excellent novels from her ‘The Reverie’ series I must (unfortunately) quite honestly say that her non-fiction true story called ‘ADHD: Life is Beautiful’ about her close friendship with Peter and his mother left me just a little disappointed. Of course, this is not at all the authors ‘fault’ but more about my personal expectation towards a work of non-fiction centered on ‘Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder’ written in 2019. At its very core the story is more an autobiographical account of the internal barriers the author herself had to overcome to fully embrace and accept someone who has ADHD—it is much less a discussion of the underlying scientific knowledge we have gained about ADHD itself and I think this is which was the main reason for my personal disappointment, as my feeling had been that the author definitively has gained much knowledge in that regard exactly because of her close friendship with Peter and his mother and could/should have shared her wisdom with the reader. ‘ADHD: Life is Beautiful’ is therefore really very much an ‘observational’ story about ADHD—a condition very much ‘present’ in literature for some time already when one thinks about ‘The Story of Fidgety Philip’ found in Heinrich Hoffmann’s ‘Der Struwwelpeter’ from 1845 or Mark Twain’s Tom Sawyer. Whereas the general negativity of how “society” reacts to someone with ADHD has, to a large extent, not changed very much since the 19th century, we do have a much better scientific understanding of the underlying neuropathology of ADHD in the 21st century. This however is not the focus of the story, which also does not really attempt to provide the reader with an ‘overall picture / discussion’ of the complexities of ADHD, e.g. whereas the author reflects on her real ‘everyday’ struggles she encounters during a short three-day road trip to Gardaland with Peter and her resultant negative feelings, Peter’s primary school teacher (who most definitely does not appear to have been very supportive at all) should perhaps have been given the opportunity in the story to provide her ‘side of the story’ (and reflect on her negativity). Perhaps she was not ‘intolerant’ per se but just ‘exhausted’ by a child with undiagnosed (and untreated) ADHD for who she was responsible for four years?

Nonetheless, Nico J. Genes’ overall message she sends with ‘ADHD: Life is Beautiful’ advocating for more tolerance and less judgement makes her story an important read. Especially considering that perhaps currently the ‘pendulum’ with ADHD might have swung too wide towards ‘treating everyone’. Clearly Peter in this story has quite severe ADHD which might have warranted pharmacologic therapy early on to improve his quality of life—but there is growing evidence that a lot of children with much milder forms of ADHD are being treated for whom just a little bit more tolerance and less judgement might be sufficient…[Kazda L, Bell K, Thomas R, McGeechan K, Sims R, Barratt A. Overdiagnosis of Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder in Children and Adolescents: A Systematic Scoping Review. JAMA Netw Open. 2021 Apr 1;4(4):e215335. doi: 10.1001/jamanetworkopen.2021.5335. PMID: 33843998; PMCID: PMC8042533.].

Clearly ‘Life is Beautiful—BUT also incredibly COMPLEX nowadays ….’.
Profile Image for Píaras Cíonnaoíth.
Author 114 books121 followers
May 11, 2019
Sharing a journey of discovery...

ADHD is a mental disorder which causes behavioral issues. A lot of people think that individuals with ADHD can't pay attention but the thing is, they can sometimes pay too much attention - paying attention to the wrong things or a lot of things at once. They also have a lot of energy. So, there's a lot of fidgeting and they can't keep still. They usually have difficulties following instructions. They get distracted a lot, so it means that they don't finish things and sometimes don’t even start things. However, there are plenty of good things about ADHD. The ADHD brain is usually very creative, there are many artists, comedians, and singers who successfully live with the disorder.

Author Nico J. Genes shares a journey of discovery with her book LIFE IS BEAUTIFUL. She meets and befriends a single mother and her young son. She tells a wonderfully descriptive story about their relationship. It’s an honest and open account of the trials and tribulations of trying to understand the struggles of parenting hyperactive children. She details her own feelings and frustrations in a candid way, while also sharing the happier moments.

What we know as ADHD, attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder has been recognized by some doctors since the beginning of the 20th century. But up until the 1980s, it was all about little boys who couldn't sit still, couldn't shut up, and were driving everybody crazy. It was just behavior problems. The name of the disorder was changed a number of times. There were different formulations. But it was all about behavior problems. Since 1980, which is when they first changed the name of the disorder to include the words "attention deficit," the medical profession realized that this is not so much a behavior problem but far more a problem with the brain's management system— its executive functions.

While the author must be commended for her research into this condition, this is not a textbook. It is, however, a well-written and first-hand account of the authors own experience. It’s a true-life story that will undoubtedly have a positive impact on any person concerned about ADHD. The message the book shares is that children need love, which translates into time and attention by parents, family, as well as teachers.

I’m a fan of Nico J. Genes so this book comes highly recommended and gets a well-deserved five stars from me. I’ll be looking forward to reading more from this author in the future.
Profile Image for Andrew Gracey.
Author 2 books23 followers
April 18, 2020
ADHD: Life is Beautiful is a memoir by the author which tells of her friendship with Eliza and Peter, a mother and son who both struggle to diagnose and understand ADHD but never lose their unbreakable bond. Along the way it deals with the social difficulties of managing such a disorder and the constant strains it puts on the people that surround them.

Eliza and Peter (and Nico, of course) are all extremely likeable people, and the author quickly establishes just how strong their relationships are. Peter in particular is shown to be cheeky and kind, sweet and boisterous, however his disorder causes him to behave in a way that other people do not understand or tolerate very well. I was able to instantly sympathise with Peter’s position, as well as Eliza’s, and thought that the author did a very good job in portraying the perspective of those involved. I especially felt a burning injustice in one scene where a man is particularly hostile towards Peter and thought that Genes’s initial response was perfect (‘his face was begging for my fists’). I was very much relieved to see this book take a more upbeat turn towards the end in regards to Peter’s life once his problems had been identified.

The story, however, is a personal one, and whilst it may mean a lot to those involved, as an outsider looking in I found it a little slow and lacking in parts. Having read some of Nico’s fiction I really wanted to enjoy this one more than I did, but it just did not have the appeal I was looking for. Also, whilst we know Peter has ADHD early on, it is not diagnosed until very late, leaving very little within the book about managing the problem or providing answers. This may be a mistake people make when picking up this book (especially with its cover and title) as they may feel it would provide them answers and may not be expecting to read a memoir.

In the right hands and in the right context, this book will help those who may be struggling to come to terms with ADHD themselves; it is a great case study on hidden disorders and what comes with them. I agree with the message, but I was, however, left a little longing by the end.
May 10, 2019
ADHD: Life Is
A short and gripping read, ADHD: Life is beautiful is a heart-warming story, based on true events. It makes us question why we as individuals are too quick to judge others? It compels the readers to introspect why must they expect people to align with their notions of right and wrong when it is a widely accepted fact that subjective concepts like ‘good’ or ‘bad’ cannot be objectively defined.

The book does not only share the author’s experiences with her two best friends as they find comfort and solace in each other’s company, but also to some extent serves a desensitising purpose.
Mental health is a taboo still in a world that finds more and more people grappling with mental health issues.
Disorders like depression or ADHD are often frowned upon. There isn’t just a lack of understanding, but people who are vocal about their disorders are often categorised, isolated, shunned and made fun of.
This book is a comment on the same without it sounding preachy or sermon like. It is a celebration of differences in a world that prefers uniformity and routine. It is about acceptance, tolerance and empathising- characteristics that makes us human beings.

We often lead our lives in auto pilot mode- doing the same things over, each day without paying much attention or thinking about it. Our interactions with others too takes place in this auto-pilot mode which relies on ‘preconceived notions’ to make quick analysis of the new stimulus.
We forget to pause and appreciate each exclusively new moment of our lives by worrying about the past or the present, making life seem dull or monotonous. However, as Nico J Genes puts it- Life is beautiful! And so is her book that serves as a reminder for the same.
Profile Image for Trish Butler.
Author 10 books138 followers
December 13, 2020
A sweet story about seeing the best in a child who is struggling

“ADHD: Life is Beautiful” is a true story of Nico befriending Peter, who suffers from ADHD, and his mother.

This is not only a story about Nico who sees the best in Peter despite his struggles with ADHD, but also her friendship with Peter’s mother Eliza. In fact, that’s how the story begins, with Nico and Eliza. Do not underestimate the importance of a friend who loves your ‘difficult’ child, accepting you both for who you are.

At first, there is no diagnosis and when Peter starts school there are some difficulties with his peers as well as his teachers. Thankfully, not all schools and teachers behave in this way and in one of those locations Peter probably would have been diagnosed sooner.

I recommend this book for anyone who has a child with special needs, but also for anyone who wants to learn just how beautiful life can become when you are friends with a special person.
Profile Image for L.L. Shelton.
10 reviews3 followers
May 2, 2019
Now a days the easy way out is to just label a child with ADHD. Give them a pill and everything will be fixed. Sometimes that pill may not work. Society needs to stop taking the escape goat out of an ongoing challenge that children, parents and society faces daily.

Nico Genes shows us friendship, love, patience and yes even sometimes frustration and stress in her new book. ADHD Life is Beautiful. Learn through her words how lives grow, and Life is Beautiful. How dealing with ADHD is not just one quick fix. One answer. One road to coping. She takes you through many curves. The story is touching and the characters are larger than life. Well done Nico. Thank you for opening up and letting us see in.
This entire review has been hidden because of spoilers.
Profile Image for Jenny Graves.
Author 1 book318 followers
February 21, 2022
I haven’t had much experience with people who have ADHD, so this was quite an eye-opener. I was amazed and touched by how tolerant Nico was with Peter and his mother Eliza, who both have the disorder.

I loved the way that the book was written, especially the two parts towards the end, where she wrote from the perspective of Peter and Eliza. It was fascinating to read their thoughts. There were a few parts in the book that really touched me, especially the cruelty that Peter’s classmates and teacher showed towards him.

I will certainly try to be more tolerant when I see parents struggling with children who are particularly unruly, and remember that perhaps they aren’t just badly-behaved.
Profile Image for S.D..
Author 22 books15 followers
October 18, 2020
This is a nonfiction story about a woman (Nico) who befriends a single mom (Eliza) with a young boy named Peter. Peter's behavior is challenging at times, like many young kids but at the same time he is engaging. When he begins school, his unique behavior alienates him from the other children and many of the adults. He doesn't act like the other children. They can't see the boy Nico has come to love—a bright and intelligent child who needs a little extra patience, nurturing and acceptance.

Late in the story, he's diagnosed with ADHD, although it's obvious that he has special needs from the outset. I believe this story was cathartic for the author and will appeal to those who have ADHD children or adults in their lives.

For me, the beginning of the book felt a little disconnect because I thought I was reading a children's book rather than an adult's memoir about Nico's relationship with a family dealing with ADHD issues. Once I realized it wasn't a children's book, it was an interesting read.

Profile Image for Amanda Stuntz.
Author 4 books8 followers
April 20, 2020
An interesting read

A memoir about the authors friendship with Eliza and Peter, who both have ADHD.
Peter constantly gets blamed for the bad behavior of other children. He gets bullied and beat up. His teachers choose not to try to understand or help him.

This is a touching story about a mother and sons ability to cope with the struggles of life and the judgment of others.

The author does a good job of letting us see how life is through the eyes of someone with ADHD. And how people who don't know they have this disorder can be judgmental, rude and sometimes cruel.
Profile Image for Loralee.
Author 13 books73 followers
October 17, 2020
This story based on true events, is a sweet, delightful look at one person's experience with a child who has ADHD. It isn't so much about diagnosing it, or treating it, as much as it is simply about the author's experiences and friendship with this boy and his mother as she learns to relate to a boy whose behavior is different that what we might call normal. The basic message that I got from the story, is that we should accept people as they are, and not try to force them to behave in a way that they cannot, for whatever reason; in this case, because of the simple way the boy's brain was wired.

I found the behavior of the boy's teachers, most of them, to be a bit difficult to believe, though it certainly might be true. The principal, in one particular instance, behaved in a very unprofessional way in my opinion. And one teacher, it seems, actually called the boy "ugly" and "stupid" in front of the rest of the class. And while I'm sure there are such people in professional roles out there that act in such unkind ways, it was difficult to believe that the scenes weren't exaggerated for dramatic emphasis. It's heartbreaking to think that such people in positions of trust would really act like that. Teachers, more often than others, are usually, from my experience, the first ones to notice that a child might have ADHD. But in this story, most of the educators were simply bound to the idea that the boy was simply acting that way because he was actively choosing to behave badly.

Overall, I really enjoyed this story. There are a few places where I think some commas might have been misplaced, but other than that, the writing was well done.

I enjoyed watching the author learn and grow as she came to know her friends.
Profile Image for Denis Roubien.
Author 106 books9 followers
March 3, 2022
This is the story about the author's friendship with a boy with ADHD and his mother. Apart from the messages on friendship, acceptance, and the beauty of differences among human beings that makes the world more interesting, it has useful information on ADHD and how to deal with people who have it. The overall spirit of the book is very positive and optimistic and certainly much needed in our times. A book I would recommend to anyone in need of a positive message on human relations and acceptance.
Profile Image for Samantha Henthorn.
Author 12 books48 followers
August 3, 2020
Heartwarming non-fiction about young Peter who has too much energy to stand still, or walk in a straight line next to his mother. During the time of his ADHD assessment, he ends up teaching the adults in his life about patience, acceptance and friendship. An insight into the difficulties that parents can come up against.
Profile Image for David E. Miles.
Author 2 books1 follower
October 21, 2020
This was an enjoyable book about the story of Peter, a young boy with ADHD and his relationship with his Mother, Eliza and her friend Nico.

I found the story to be heart-warming in places and sad in others. It was great to read how the relationship between Nico and Peter developed but sad to see how he was treated by his peers and teachers.

All in all a nice story!
Author 1 book
May 15, 2022
A beautiful story about a boy with ADHD. The author shared her personal experience dealing with a young boy with ADHD. Life is beautiful indeed especially when you have a true friend. It is a relaxing and inspiring read. I have a son with ADHD as well, it really resonated with me. Great messaging of acceptance and love. Highly recommend.
2 reviews
February 11, 2021
The emotion I felt throughout the story is the author’s desire to help her friends and bring ADHD closer to a wider population in a friendly, non-offensive way. Her gesture left me the most impressed.
Profile Image for Nico Genes.
Author 5 books119 followers
October 26, 2020
Lo escribí y es difícil pensar menos en mi propio libro :)

Sin embargo, esta no es una revisión, ya que soy el autor, pero usaré este espacio para agradecer a mis dos amigos con TDAH.

Ambos enriquecieron mi vida en tantos niveles y no creo que pueda agradecerles lo suficiente. Las palabras que captarían la profundidad de mis sentimientos aún no se han inventado.

*** Actualmente, mi historia real está disponible por 3.99 $ ***
Displaying 1 - 30 of 32 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.