Start by marking “Emily Goes to Exeter (The Traveling Matchmaker, #1)” as Want to Read:
Emily Goes to Exeter (The Traveling Matchmaker, #1)

Emily Goes to Exeter (The Traveling Matchmaker #1)

3.7  ·  Rating details ·  1,269 Ratings  ·  145 Reviews
Miss Hannah Pym 45 retires from housekeeping to ride the 1800 stagecoach, first to Exeter. Spoiled beauty Emily flees marriage to older Lord Ranger Harley 33. Widow Lizzie Bisley regrets engagement to bully Captain Seaton, when others are more respectful, especially shy lawyer Fletcher. When snow strands them in an inn, Hannah organizes chores and romances.
Mass Market Paperback, 160 pages
Published September 28th 1991 by St Martins Paperbacks (first published November 1990)

QNPoohBear
Jul 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
(This story is set in 1800, so not quite the Regency)

For nearly her whole life, Miss Hannah Pym has faithfully served the same employer. She has achieved her life long dream of becoming a housekeeper, however, she longs for something more - an adventure on one of the new fangled "flying machines" (stage coaches). When her employer dies and leaves her a legacy, his brother takes an interest in Hannah and encourages her to fulfill her dream. Hannah sets off on the stage and meets several eccentri
Suzanne
Jan 31, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Amusing first book in 'The Matchmaker' series. Loved the adventurous Miss Pym and her thirst to experience more of life.
Ruth
Apr 17, 2017 rated it it was ok
Quaint, charming, clean, late Georgian/almost Regency romance where the main character is a retired housekeeper who has decided to take a stagecoach journey just for the fun of it. She's also an inveterate gossip and a busybody, so she turns to matchmaking when their coach is stuck for several days as a tiny inn because of a blizzard.

Not a lot of character development, and at times it felt like a farce, or an amateur theatrical, as characters shifted partners like they were at a dance.

Light and
Karen (Kew)
Jul 11, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the first book in the Travelling Matchmaker series. The central character, Hannah Pym, receives an unexpected legacy from her late employer which gives her the means to indulge in her wish to travel on the "flying machines" as the stage coaches were named in the early 1800s. Single herself, she can't resist meddling in the lives of her fellow passengers, for their own good! She keeps a look out for suitable couples to matchmake! It's a light hearted and enjoyable read.
Jerelyn
Apr 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: regency-romance
I laughed out loud reading this and I am on a Marion Chesney, aka M.C. Beaton roll. This is the first in the matchmaker series, and it is classic Chesney, rich storytelling unforgettable lovable characters. Don't let the cheesy covers fool you these are fun books and if you are someone that prefers a clean story line this author is for you. Very close to a 5 star read.
Emy
Jan 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A nice fluffy read. Great for a day when feeling under the weather :)
Judy
Jun 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
The traveling matchmaker series is an interesting historical series. I read these number of years ago and was just minded of them. I need to look at this author again.
Hannah
Overall rating for this 6 book series: 2.5 stars.
Emily Goes To Exeter: A Novel of Regency England - Being the First Volume of The Traveling Matchmaker

Belinda Goes To Bath A Novel of Regency England - Being the
Second Volume of The Traveling Matchmaker

Penelope Goes To Portsmouth: A Novel of Regency England - Being the Third Volume of The Traveling Matchmaker

Beatrice Goes To Brighton A Novel of Regency England - Being the Fourth Volume of The Traveling Matchmaker

Deborah Goes to Dover: A Novel of R
Mo
Apr 11, 2013 added it
Shelves: brit-lit, regency
I remember reading a slew of Marion Chesney novels when my children were very young. They were just the right kind of light, mindless entertainment that I needed at the time. I had to read things that were very put-downable … books that would not consume me. My free time to read was very limited.

Basically, all of the books in any given Marion Chesney series were the same book. She had a formula, and stuck to it. She changed names, places and circumstances, but the basic plots remained identical.
Aug 14, 2012 rated it really liked it
This is a feel good read and I really enjoyed it. The only MC Beaton books I had read before were the Agatha Raisin ones but a friend lent me the Travelling Matchmaker books as she had enjoyed them. I am looking forward to reading the rest of the series as Hannah is such a great character and I love books set in the Regency era. In this the first book, Hannah Pym, a housekeeper, watches the stagecoach pass the gloomy house where she works and dreams being able to board it and of finding adventur ...more
Emily
Apr 29, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction, 2012, kindle, series
I bought this in an Amazon Kindle sale and chose it out of the series only because it had my name in the title. I didn't even think that reading them in order might make sense. Thank goodness this was the first!

Sweet, simple. Just enough mystery, just enough romance. Nice time period. I look forward to the other books in the series.
Lynne Tull
Apr 06, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: regency-romance
This is one of the few books/series I would read again. These stories of Marion Chesney started me on my adventure...reading Regency Romance/Novels/History! There is not a set of books that will teach you more about the basics about life in Regency England. There are six series with six books each. I love them all. It must be a "past life" thing:)
Charlotte Smith
May 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book, always been my favourite author now and have read a few of her books, reread has I forgot I had read it
Susan
Mar 02, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fun mystery and a little bit of a love story. Read very well. It reminds me a little bit of Georgette Heyer but with a different kind of humor.
Pöfivonat
Jan 24, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kellemes kikapcsolódás, semmi extra. Pont egy hétvégi könnyed olvasnivaló. :)
Kathryn
May 09, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read all of the Traveling Matchmaker books in a week or so. They are short and fun. Very light reading but very enjoyable!
Shelly
Sep 18, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: recorded-books
Good library download. I listened while doing other things.
Annette
A very delightful read. This is the first book in The Traveling Matchmaker series featuring Miss Hannah Pym. In this book we discover how Miss Pym got her start. Surprisingly, our miss Pym is left the sum of 5000 pounds by her now deceased employer. She is practically an heiress now. When asked by her deceased employer's brother what she would like to do most, Miss Pym saya she would like to travel and see the world or at least all of England. So we see her set out on her first adventure by trav ...more
Kate  Maxwell
Jun 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was a fun and very quick read! You gotta love the pluck of Hanna Pym housekeeper to heiress who wants nothing more than to travel.
"For my part, I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to move." - Robert Louis Stevenson
While she encounters highwaymen, being stuck in the mud, caught in a snow storm, and would-be murderers, Hannah has an incredibly positive attitude and does what she can to rally those around her. While doing all of this, she is
Sandra Strange
The protagonist is really enchanting, a head housekeeper retired when her employer dies. However, with his death comes a bequest that allows her to fulfill her fondest dream: to travel away from the estate where she has always lived and served. She decides to travel to Exeter, with a new wardrobe befitting her status as an almost lady, and thereby has the kind of adventure she has always dreamed about: when the coach and its occupants, including a runaway heiress and the aristocrat she is runnin ...more
Julie Welch
Jun 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
This enjoyable, clean story was fun and full of quirky characters... great read for winter time.
Emmie
Aug 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Jane Austen Light. Very Light. But fun.
Donna
Jun 21, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Quick, nice read. Unrealistic romance story, but told with wit and charm.
Bonnie Lewis
Aug 09, 2017 rated it liked it
Kind of fun, especially if you want to get away from the deep stuff. 3.5 stars
Elizabeth
Jul 04, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: regency-fiction, 2017
The main character of the book is named Hannah. Emily is the lady who gets matched. It's a cute book but I dislike the title. The Traveling Matchmaker should have top billing.
Nov 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I think I'm going to like this series.
Gail
Mar 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Sometimes you just need some comfort reading, and Chesney's Regency books are my go-to author. I look forward to more of Miss Pym's matchmaking adventures.
An Odd1
Aug 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fun
http://www.agatharaisin.com/ has a free 9 page short story by same author if you have a Kindle.

In 1800, Hannah Pym 45 inherits a legacy that allows her to travel England by stagecoach, first to Exeter. Sir George, her late employer's heir, invites her to tea at Gunter's, and requests a report on her return. Violet-eyed beauty Emily Freemantle 20s chopped off her hair to run, as a man, from marriage with Lord Ranger Harley 33. On meeting the vain selfish chit, misled by her novel-reading governe
Rita
Feb 28, 2017 rated it liked it
Easy entertainment.
Fairly formulaic series of books that are fun and lively. Her main character, Hannah, is plucky, as are the other female protagonists. I like that the author throws in some educational info of the Regency period, especially with regard to dress, manners, class distinctions, male-female roles.

I listened to all these books as audiobooks to pass the time on my daily work commute.
Jori Richardson
I am not sure why I decided to read this book, as it is not really my type of reading. As the corny title and the name of the series suggests, this book does not exactly appear to be anything profound.
And no, it wasn't.

This is the story of Miss Hannah Pym, a middle aged woman who inherits a small fortune from her deceased employer. With her money, she decides that she would like to travel, in the hope of having adventures. On her journey to Exeter, she meets a young lady disguised as a man becau
  • The Marquis Takes a Bride (Cotillion Regency Romance, #2) (Regency Royal, #2)
  • My Dear Duchess (Regency Royal, #6) (Dukes & Desires, #5)
  • Tilly
  • An Affair of Interest
  • Isabella & The English Witch (Trevelyan Family, #1 & #2)
  • The Sugar Rose
  • The Panther and the Pearl
  • The Counterfeit Husband
  • The Renegade and the Rose (Renegade, Rebel and Rogue, #1)
  • Lady Lissa's Liaison (To Woo an Heiress, #1)
  • Deirdre and Don Juan (Lovers and Ladies, #6)
  • Dark Angel
  • The Bar Sinister (Clanross,0.5)
  • A Garden Folly (Country House Party, #1)
  • Emerald Embrace
Marion Chesney Gibbons
aka: Ann Fairfax, Jennie Tremaine, Helen Crampton, Charlotte Ward, M.C. Beaton, Sarah Chester.

Marion Chesney was born on 1936 in Glasgow, Scotland, UK, and started her first job as a bookseller in charge of the fiction department in John Smith & Sons Ltd. While bookselling, by chance, she got an offer from the Scottish Daily Mail to review variety shows and quickly
More about Marion Chesney...

The Traveling Matchmaker (6 books)
  • Belinda Goes to Bath (The Traveling Matchmaker, #2)
  • Penelope Goes to Portsmouth (The Traveling Matchmaker, #3)
  • Beatrice Goes to Brighton (The Traveling Matchmaker, #4)
  • Deborah Goes to Dover (The Traveling Matchmaker, #5)
  • Yvonne Goes to York (The Traveling Matchmaker, #6)