Start by marking “We Must Save Jepson! (A Novella)” as Want to Read:
We Must Save Jepson! (A Novella)

We Must Save Jepson! (A Novella)

Cannibals and lions and murder – oh my!

Intrepid librarian H. R. Huxtable and his column of misfits are out to save Jepson’s beleaguered British outpost in central Africa—battling rock-strewn rivers, bloody jungle, hungry cannibals, and each other. His toad-witted captains are slaves to drink. The only female member of the expedition is on a personal crusade to stamp out ce
Published July 28th 2020 by Dunmore Books

To ask other readers questions about We Must Save Jepson!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about We Must Save Jepson!

Start your review of We Must Save Jepson! (A Novella)
Thea | (unapologetic_bibliosmia)
Heart of Darkness meets Carry on Up The Jungle....

This amusing short adventure tale resemblant of Joseph Conrad’s Heart of Darkness is told to us through 16 letters, written by expedition leader H R Huxtable.

Huxtable and his unfortunate crew of disobedient drunkard captains, lazy marijuana smoking carriers and a lady who’s appeal to protect the sacred art of celibacy appears to be a ploy to single handedly destroy it - are tasked with reaching Camp Bim to rescue one Jepson, who apparently is in
Andrew
Sep 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
A little Flashman, a lot of fun. One of the subset of English/ adventurers/sleuths set in or around the Victorian era books that are fun to read if done well. This one is. Look forward to more by this author.
Sandy
Aug 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
An adventure with bloated spiders, insects, and hostile tribes!
What a wonderful, strange, and unique piece this tale was outstanding! This satire was so entertaining. I loved the characters they all were awesome but our British librarian was such fun. The splendid humor will have you laughing out loud. I just knew this was going to be a special read by the cover but I did not expect how good it turned out. It is told in sixteen letters this piece will keep you completely engaged in the must-rea
Florence
Oct 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
What an extraordinary novella ! Absolutely well written, it is a masterpiece ! It is best not to reveal anything about the story, but the least to be said is that it is highly enjoyable !
i will recommend this pure jewel !
All opinions are mine, I received a copy from NetGalley
Louise Gray
Oct 02, 2020 rated it really liked it
I loved the way this was written, through letters. It gave different perspectives and really let me get to know the characters. I wished it was longer as it was really funny!
Caroline Venables
I really enjoyed this book, it really made me laugh.

H. R Huxtable is in the wilds of Africa on a mission to save a fellow Englishman, whether he needs saving or not. He tells his story through a succession of letters mailed in 1888. The letters show how this ramble of people manage to trudge through the wilderness. Huxtable is a librarian who is surrounded by a mixed rabble, two officers who hate other, a native guide and a woman who is supposed to be promoting celibacy.

Being a librarian he real
John
Aug 11, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received a copy of this book from Hidden Gems, and this is a voluntary and honest review.

This book is a novella, as described. The time period is the end of the 19th century. It is written in the form of each chapter being a letter or despatchment from the intrepid leader - Huxtable, who is actually a pompous librarian - to a variety of persons, informing them of his progress and encounters to reach and save a Governor Jepson at his outpost in central Africa. The chapters are written in a Vict
Claire
Sep 29, 2020 rated it liked it
Maybe I would have liked this better if the main character died.

Huxable has been given the task of going through central Africa to save British outpost run by a man named Jepson. However, as Huxable is only a librarian his knowledge on surviving the African jungle is laughable.

This book can be amusing. However, at the end I was tired of Huxable's naivety and wished for his luck to run out.

This book is based on an advanced reading copy provided through Netgalley for an honest review.
Deidre Long
Nov 29, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really thought this was a fun book to read. It is full of adventure and colorful characters. We follow the adventures of Huxtable in colonial Africa as he and his party go on a rescue mission to save Jepson. What happens after the mission is a nice twist and ended the book on a interesting note. Just a fun book to read and well written. I received an advanced copy of this book through Book Sirens and I thank both them and the author for a chance to read this book.
S.A. Adams
"As to any surly tribes in our own path, we will throw bright beads at them. Or we will brandish our rifles. For Queen and Country, we shall fall in line, tighten our belts, and keep our chins up."

Pretty much sums up We Must Save Jepson! A humorous tale that wittily puts you in the mind of a ridiculous librarian on a quest for glory.

My biggest problem was the plot. It was one dimensional from beginning to end. I was hoping for some deeper theme to present itself, but one never did.
CorgeousBooks
This book was a fun read! It reminded me of old black and white films with teams of British explorers. It felt like I was reading one of those old films if that makes sense. It was a nice book that I could see myself reading once again in the future. I'll definitely talk about it with my book club!

Moraye Potgieter
Sep 16, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A short, sometimes funny novella, detailing Mr. Huxtable’s journey across Africa to safe Mr. Jepson.

The story is told through various letter exchanges, mostly from Mr. Huxtable’s point of view. According to him it is a long hard journey and it is perfectly normal that it is led by him, a librarian.

Barring all this the journey ends in success, from a certain point of view.
Erin Emily
Oct 17, 2020 rated it it was ok
I found this book tedious and un-funny. The premise is wonderful but the execution did not do anything for me, unfortunately!
Ryder Author Resources
Aug 17, 2020
Allan Faneuf
Oct 24, 2020
Mark Petersen
Aug 08, 2020 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Kayla
Oct 01, 2020

• The Haunting of Beatrix Greene: Vol. 1
  • The Devil and the Dark Water
  • Murder in Old Bombay
  • Her Shallow Grave (Detectives Kane and Alton, #9)
  • Evie and the Pack-Horse Librarians
  • The Dragon of Ynys
  • Rule of the Shieldmaiden (The Shieldmaiden's Tale Book 2)
  • Rise Of The Shieldmaiden (The Shieldmaiden's Tale, #1)
  • Everyone Dies Famous
  • Cassadaga Nights
  • Murder at the Manor (Tommy & Evelyn Christie #1)
  • A Stone Forgotten: A Time Travel Romantic Adventure (Mórdha Stone Chronicles Book 4)
  • Kilty Secrets (Clash of the Tartans #1)
  • Torc of Stone (MÓRDHA STONE CHRONICLES Book 3)
  • A Night at the Operation (Double Feature Mystery #3)
  • Book Review: A sweet and steamy modern romance of unexpected twists
  • Scarlet Oaks and the Banished Witness (Scarlet Oaks Series #3)
  • The Lochlann Treaty: Complete Series
Addictions counselor by day. Crime fiction addict and author by night. Any resemblance to the quirky characters in my books is, um, mostly coincidental.

I've also worked as an archaeologist, truck driver, logger, and bike-tour guide in Paris.

I attended law school for one day. That was enough.

Crime and comedy? Way more interesting.

News & Interviews