Start by marking “Mary: The Adventures of Mary Shelley's Great-Great-Great-Great-Great-Granddaughter” as Want to Read:

Angsty teenager Mary Shelley is not interested in carrying on her family’s celebrated legacy of being a great writer, but she soon discovers that she has the not-so-celebrated (and super-secret) Shelley power to heal monsters, just like her famous ancestor, and those monsters are not going to let her ignore her true calling anytime soon.

The Shelley family history is filled
Published October 6th 2020 by Six Foot Press

To ask other readers questions about Mary, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mary

Start your review of Mary: The Adventures of Mary Shelley's Great-Great-Great-Great-Great-Granddaughter
Joshita ❤
*Thank you Netgalley for giving me an arc in exchange for a review*

My rating: 2.75★

This is my first graphic novel and it was between "okay" and "like".

This book follows Mary who is a descendant of Mary Shelley and belongs to a family of prestigious writers. Her mother expects her to write her own novel someday but when monsters come knocking on Mary's door for help—her life as a future writer is left behind.

Mary is such a funny and smart character. But Mary's reaction when she finds that monst
Mikky (Nocturnal Predators Reviews)
* I received an eCopy of this novel via NetGalley. All the opinions in this review are my own.

I liked this graphic novel much more than I was expecting! It turned out to be a great story of self-discovery for the heroine. I really appreciated the liberties the author took with this story and what it was initially based upon. Things moved very quickly to my dismay but I can't fault the author because graphic novels are usually quick and to-the-point stories. The art was SO good! I loved that it w
Mir
Nov 26, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya, graphic, fantasy
It's a little odd to use Mary Shelley as an entree into a world of mythical beasts -- this is definitely fantasy not science fiction -- and there's a pronounced "just go with it" lack of rigor and plot-hole-filling, but if you're looking for a quick, fun YA read with a little romance, a solid friendships, some-but-not-too-awful family issues, magic, and decent art, here you go.
San
Oct 14, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley
I really liked the idea behind this graphic novel - story about 16 years old Mary - descendant of Mary Shelley. She's really interesting and smart character
The artwork is amazing and the whole style of this graphic novel match perfectly spooky season - definitely recommending reading in then.
I had a little problems with plot and dialogues - I found them a little lacking and some moments of the story were difficult to understand.
Overall, I enjoyed it and might read more about Mary if the future -
Martina
Aug 27, 2020 rated it really liked it

Mary Shelley is an author that I completely love and I'm totally obsessed with. So, every time I find something about or related to her I can't help but read it.
I really liked the concept behind this graphic novel. It's about Shelley's descendanta, in particular a sixteen-year-old called Mary, and here they are all portayed as strong and independent women and that's something I enjoyed a lot.
The a
☾ jazmin
The beginning is always today.

Thanks to Netgalley for providing a digital ARC of Mary in exchange for an honest review.

This was a good graphic novel, but I wished there were more details. For how mysterious the description seemed, it felt like everything happened so fast to the point where I had no idea what was going on.

The dialogue was okay (once again lacking detail), and Mary was an interesting character, but it just feels like there isn’t enough for me to go on to really say anything mo
Briar's Reviews
If you've ever read or heard about Mary Shelley's background you will know she was one angsty woman. She's exactly what you'd picture to write a book as chilling and gothic as Frankenstein. I have always been intrigued by this woman, so this book stood out to me.

Who wouldn't want to read a book inspired by Mary Shelley? Especially her great-many-greats granddaughter who's an angsty, gothic teen? It's likely to be interesting, right? Especially a graphic novel!

So, we have Mary - Mary Shelley's gr
Reading_ Tam_ Ishly
Nov 08, 2020 rated it really liked it
An amazing graphic novel talking convincingly about the amazing talented kin of Mary Shelly's in the generations to come.

Yes, lots of Marys in the line. And yes, they got famous in their respective fields but this one talks about a confused teen, confused because of the nagging adults around her and her own family (except her dad who left years ago) because they thought she was not sure of what she would become and be famous for!

She's being continuously questioned, nagged and looked down upon fo
Eva B.
Thank you to NetGalley for providing me with the ARC! This did not have any sway on my opinions.

This was...underwhelming. The art was cute, and I did enjoy some of the characters (Adam!!) but it felt more or less like a very long prologue. I might pick up the next installment (if there is one), if only to see more of the monsters.
Kendra Cusworth
Sep 02, 2020 rated it liked it
3 stars

The art is absolutely stunning and our gothy main character is everything. The story developed a little too quickly for me but I genuinely adored everything else about it. It felt rather unique and I think young readers will truly love this.
I loved the idea that Mary Shelley had these powerful descendants. The author added a beautiful touch of feminism to the story which felt very true to Mary Shelley. Also, this is a perfect read to gear up for Halloween!
Claudia Marie
Aug 25, 2020 rated it really liked it
Stars: 3.5/5

Thank you to the publishers for an ARC of this story in exchange for an honest review.

I didn't realise just how into this story I was until around 1/2 way. I zoomed through it and probably finished it within an hour (though scattered).

At first I thought it was a bit jumpy - not clarifying certain scenes but you make your own assumptions and they're generally correct - this may be an issue I have with graphic novels and not just this particular book, mind.

I think aspects of the book
Andi
Aug 26, 2020 rated it really liked it
This first volume sets up a promising start to this new series that follows Mary, a descendant of Mary Shelley. The women in her family are all famous writers and Mary struggles fitting into what's expected of her, so we see her coming to terms with what she wants to do - and that's healing monster.

Overall, it's a fun and easy read and the artwork is stunning. The characters were designed well, I especially loved the way the monsters were drawn. The fact that Mary is goth was an interesting tou
Lindsay♫SingerOfStories♫
This graphic novel is going on my top five GN list--I loved so many things about it!!
Right off the bat, I was captivated by the synopsis. I love Mary Shelley, so a twisted, modern retelling is just for me!
The book itself had me intrigued from page ONE when the portrait of Mary Shelley walks out of a painting and into a creepy, dark forest. I was turning pages so fast my eyes could hardly keep up!
The main character, Mary, is a sixth generation descendent of Mary Shelley and she is so tired of hig
Avani Shah
Sep 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
Mary by Brea Grant and illustrated by Yishan Li is a Young Adult horror graphic novel, with a tint of fantasy and paranomal romance to it. We see our badass character the young Mary Shelley, who has been born and bought up with having to be only a writer when she grows up just like her ancestors and mother. But her interests lie somewhere else and not in continuing her family's legacy of being a best selling author.

Then we see a strange boy named Adam, who comes and asks her to heal a wound. Mar
Emma
Aug 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arcs, graphic-novels, 2020
Mary: The Adventures of Mary Shelley's Great-Great-Great-Great-Great-Granddaughter was an imaginative take on finding out who you really are and standing up to external pressure to behave a certain way. I loved the idea that Mary Shelley sparked a line of creative, literary women and also deeply identified with present-day Mary's struggle to define herself in light of this legacy. The monster element made this graphic novel even more fun. If you're looking for a spooky yet heartwarming book to g ...more
linda hole
Aug 21, 2020 rated it liked it
When i read the synopsis for this graphic novel . I thought the plot was intriguing. Bit this graphic novel became too bland for me . Even though the art work was very good.
Sarah Marie
4 stars. This graphic novel was cute and I love the concept. Review to come.
Michelle Alpizar Paez
First of all, thanks to NetGally for letting me read this arc in exchange for an honest opinion.

Here we have the story of a descendant of the famous writer Mary Shelley, whose family has had a series of other great authors after her. Mary is the great, great, great, great, great, granddaughter and she doesn’t know if she is going to continue with the family tradition. Or rather she is frustrated with the expectations she has to fill. That’s her life until she meets Adam, a monster who asks for
Jaq
Oct 15, 2020 rated it liked it
Let me start this review on a positive note: the art is gorgeous. The character design, the style, all of it, top notch.
The idea is also really interesting and original, but I don't think it was that well developped.
It feels like we're rushing through everything, we barely get the motivation behind some decisions or relationship between characters (that instaromance gave me whiplash).
Still very entertaining, I'll gladly read other instances of this series.
aro
Aug 30, 2020 rated it really liked it

Mary Shelley is the ascendant of *the* Mary Shelley, the author of Frankenstein. Her family are all successful authors, but Mary is the black sheep of her family. That’s at least what she thinks, until she discover that she has hidden abilities and that a world full of monsters exist.

It felt a bit rushed and there were a couple of scenes where it quickly jumped from one point to another, like it expected me to already know what was going on, and it kinda threw me out of the magic of the
Reg Mars
Aug 21, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics, netgalley
I was drawn to this book because I thought it had an awesome cover. Plus I do love graphic novels especially since they are such quick reads. Then I saw it was a read now option on Netgalley so I thought I would give this graphic novel a shot.

I do have to say I overall thought it was a decent story. Mary is the great-great-great-great-great-granddaughter of Mary Shelley. All the woman that have come before her are known for being incredible writers. However, Mary hasn't found her passion to be
Natalie
Sep 04, 2020 rated it liked it
’The beginning is always today.’

Mary Shelley is a legend and I really like her works. So obviously I had to read this graphic novel.
The drawings are pretty and I like the whole vibe they provide, dark and creepy and perfectly fitted for the story. The general idea behind the plot was also great and I really enjoyed this. But unfortunately, the end product lacks a lot of character depth. Every single character and their relationships felt so flat and this made me cringe so hard. This story should
Brittney ♡
Aug 26, 2020 rated it liked it
Renee
Aug 30, 2020 rated it really liked it
Not to be dramatic but I would kill to have a spin off of Shirley Jackson, the ghost inside the bun bun doll, and he harpy friend Polly!
Vaishnavi
Oct 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
Freakish, surprising and beautiful. Thankyou netgalley for providing the review copy.

This book was quite a surprise to me, when I started it I thought it would be a normal twisty mystery kinda book but lo and behold monsters and a variety of them too, I loved it a lot.
A pressured environment to be what the family legacy is, a troubled mind about the future, the pressing need of telling people off to mind their own business and leave you alone were some of the strongest emotions of the book and I
rebecca
This book was provided by the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

elevator pitch: This follows the famed author Mary Shelley's descendant, also named Mary Shelley. Mary is a teenage girl who doesn't feel she fits in with the rest of the women in her family who are all writers. She feels constantly pressured to live up to her namesake and the great expectations of her family, but she isn't even sure if she wants to be a writer at all. Her already angsty, confusing teenage lif
Manon the Malicious
Oct 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
*3.75 Stars*

I was provided an ARC via NetGalley and edelweiss in exchange for an honest review.

I loved the illustrations of this and the story was pretty good but I felt like something was missing. I didn't fully connect with the characters because the story felt a bit rushed to me, especially at the beginning.
I still really loved the concept and I found the plot pretty interesting. Also, it was a super fast read, and these days, that's always good.
I know I make little sense, I'm sorry.
So yeah,
Banal Girl
Sep 23, 2020 rated it really liked it
First of all, thanks to netgalley for sending me a copy.

This was such a crazy story.
It has excellent halloween vibes and is a very fast and fun read.

I think the illustrations are very cute and I love the main storyline.
Although it is not extraordinary, the plot is very captivating and immersive.

I also loved the way family pressure is addressed. Sometimes we are so afraid to disappoint the people around us that we end up not being ourselves.

Although I loved this book, I feel that the romance was
Maryam || a_typical_teen_reader
Dark, suspenseful and mystifying, this graphic novel follows Mary, a descendant of Mary Shelley, famous sci-fi writer, who has a huge legacy to live up to. She is constantly being pressured to become a writer but she couldnt be less bothered. Sudden;y she happens reanimate a dead frog and realizes her power to heal monsters, kept secret from her and starts to meet up monsters at every corner asking for her help. This was fun to read as Mary learnt to accept that she would never be a writer and i ...more
April Sarah
Sep 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
*ARC received from Netgalley in return for an honest review*

Fall is in the air and this is a perfect read for those chilly vibes.

The artwork is moody and sets the tone for the who read, a mix of dark and eery with a touch of playfulness. I had fully expected this to be a gothic monster read but it had lighter tones of family and friendship that balanced it out to pull it back from being to overwhelmingly scary. This read is great for anyone who wants a little of those monster vibes without the

• The Sacrifice of Darkness
  • Juliet Takes a Breath
  • Odessa
  • In Love & Pajamas: A Collection of Comics about Being Yourself Together
  • My Riot
  • Quincredible Vol. 1: Quest to Be the Best!
  • How to Be Ace: A Memoir of Growing Up Asexual
  • Secrets of Camp Whatever Vol. 1
  • Ritu Weds Chandni
  • Le rêve de Sarah (Les soeurs Grémillet, #1)
  • The Haunting of Beatrix Greene: Vol. 1
  • Ever After
  • Une lune bleue dans la tête (Olive, #1)
  • Sorry I Haven't Texted You Back