Start by marking “White Tiger: A Hero's Compulsion” as Want to Read:
White Tiger: A Hero's Compulsion

White Tiger: A Hero's Compulsion

Angela knows pain: her uncle, the former White Tiger, killed, her FBI partner murdered, her career ruined, her mentor jailed. And the hurt is just beginning. Armed with mystical amulets, the new White Tiger demands answers, but will she survive long enough to ask the right questions?
Published October 10th 2007 by Marvel (first published September 26th 2007)

To ask other readers questions about White Tiger, please sign up.
Karen It's in color. The cover just emphasizes her costume.

Scott S.
Feb 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
"Who do you think I am?" -- Angela 'White Tiger' Del Toro

"Black Cat, of course. Don't make me shoot you." -- Wade 'Deadpool' Wilson

"Oh for -- ! Genius, I'm wearing white! . . . First people mistake me for Emma Frost. Now you think I'm Black Cat. The name is White Tiger. WHITE TIGER!" -- White Tiger

"White Ti - GRRRR! . . . Check." -- Deadpool

Angela Del Toro was a resilient and street-savvy former NYPD officer and FBI agent from New York City. After a few deeply personal tragedies and setbacks -
Sesana
Aug 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: superhumans, comics
Is there anyone more experienced at writing a kickass female hero than Tamora Pierce? White Tiger has never been on my radar, but seeing her name on the cover made this an easy decision for a read. I'm glad my local library had it, because I doubt I ever would have heard about it if I hadn't spotted it on the shelf. And it was pretty much exactly what I had expected. Angela, the new White Tiger, fits the hero mold perfectly, with the added incentive of carrying on a family legacy to help guide h ...more
Neil McCrea
Apr 18, 2013 rated it liked it
I have a great deal of goodwill towards any comic that revives an old C-list character and gives them some respect and depth. This bias will be apparent in my review. The original White Tiger was interesting in concept, but seldom used for anything other than Latin-American superhero tokenism. Now that Hector Ayala's niece has inherited his superhero persona, Marvel is finally letting the White Tiger come into her own.

A Hero's Compulsion does a good job of establishing the White Tiger's place wi
Fran
Feb 03, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
Philip
Jan 06, 2010 rated it it was ok
Shelves: graphic-novel
A little too much for me. There was just so much back story that I wasn't caught up with, and not knowing it made the whole thing feel rather cheesy... maybe it would have felt that way anyway... I mean, what modern super-heroes aren't a bit cheesy.

Also, there was a giant lizard that appeared out of nowhere a couple times and just messed things up for no reason. Who WAS that guy?
Jessica
Dec 11, 2018 rated it liked it
As a Marvel fangirl and longtime Tamora Pierce fan I had high expectations of this. There were some really good moments and some familiar faces appearing throughout but the story didn't quite live up to expectations. It lacked a lot of intensity and I missed the feeling of urgency I expected. It was good though and I did enjoy the read.
Kathy Martin
Jan 07, 2010 rated it really liked it
The pictures were nice but the story confused me. I learned more from the back flap and from the character profile at the back of the book than I did from the graphic novel. I think the main problem is that I don't know enough about the various superheroes who appeared in this story. There was some cool dialogue with lots of references to the pop culture of the time when it was created ten years ago. I liked the sarcastic reference to Miami Vice.

I quickly realized that reading a graphic novel re
Craig
Jan 06, 2012 rated it really liked it
This is a very well drawn and written graphic novel. I especially appreciated some touches of humor, such as when White Tiger asks Spider-Man if he knows how to use a camera, and when she's mistaken for Emma Frost and Felicia Hardy. I emjoyed it very much.
Becca
Jul 29, 2011 rated it really liked it
I read this because Tamora Pierce wrote it, but ended up enjoying it quite a bit. I'd be amenable to reading more.
Debbie Zappen
I always like a woman who can kick butt! She has interesing brushes with Daredevil, Spiderman, Black Widow, Power Man & Iron Fist.
Honya
If you’ve been reading this blog for any time at all, you know Marvel comics are really not my thing, but . . . seeing Tamora Pierce’s name on the cover was definitely enough to get my attention. Who knew she even wrote for them at all?! But yeah, badass heroine types are something she’s a bit of an expert at writing, so I had to give it a try. White Tiger gets definite points for exactly that–a strong female lead who manages to be both competent and yet human. She has struggles, needs relations ...more
Astrea
Sep 24, 2017 rated it it was ok
I reread this because I remembered liking Angela, what I forgot is that despite really liking her character this comic is actually really meh. The plot is a bit overly complicated (which... it really isn't all that complicated but for some reason they all make it sound like it is) and relies too much on the reader having read previous comics (dolla makes em holla), the same thing with the relationships. Because of that, I didn't feel any real weight to any of it.

The bad guys didn't feel particul
Christian Smith
Jun 08, 2017 rated it did not like it
Story(Tamara Pierce: 2/10

Art(Phil Briones with Alvaro Rio): 6/10

Trivia(reply with answer): Who was pretending to be daredevil while Matt Murdock was in prison?

Jackie Bach
Aug 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
White Tiger

I thought this was really interesting! I love reading comic books and White Tiger is one of favorite superheroes since Marvell's Spider Man: Unlimited!!!
MeatAndPotatoes
May 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
I don't typically read comics involving street level heroes so it was refreshing to see a plot be more realistic than a group of mutants stopping a megalomaniac villain from dropping an asteroid on New York.

Pierce did a good job of recapping previous events in the Marvel universe so it'd be more accessible. The cover art was amazing. The actual art was alright. I have an issue with the fight scenes. They would skip around too much. One moment we see Angela on the ground in front of her assailant
Esti
Oct 02, 2011 rated it liked it
White Tiger is fantasy writer Tamora Pierce's first foray into comics, and an action-packed addition to the Marvel Universe. Former FBI agent Angela Del Toro takes up her uncle's magical amulets and a mask, becoming the latest incarnation of the superhero White Tiger, and sets out after Chaeyi, a mysterious syndicate devoted to creating international unrest. Like many of this generation's superhero stories, the prevailing attitude towards masked heroes is uneasy--as in Watchmen, they are often p ...more
Allanna
Jun 10, 2008 rated it liked it
In the Marvel Universe, an FBI-agent is fired for doing her job (well, eventually it's written off as a medical-induced retirement).

Her uncle was the White Tiger, complete with magical jade amulets. Somehow, someone broke into the evidence closet and sent the amulets to Angela Del Toro. She made the mistake of touching them. Now she has superhuman powers.

Teaming up with some of the other heroes in town, her nights consist of fighting against the Japanese Yakuza and Russian mobsters moving in on
Larissa Hinton
Oct 25, 2011 rated it really liked it
It's a great page turner! I have to say, even though I didn't know the background about how Daredevil entered into it, the author did a great job keeping me informed and involved with the story line. I also liked discovering the powers with her and the fact that the main character was Latina. Love it when an author makes a minority the main character and strong too. The only complaint I had with the book is that the artist, at some points, made her look Asian and her body figure to me wasn't rig ...more
Caroline
Jul 10, 2009 rated it liked it
Decided to pick this up from the library because of how much I love Tamora Pierce, and for being pretty in the dark about a lot of the Marvel references in here I did enjoy it. I hadn't realized when I picked this up that it was basically a spin-off of Daredevil, and my only experience with anything Daredevil is seeing the movie six years ago. My experience with Marvel in general is seeing different movies, so while I did pick up on some of the references a lot of them went right over my head. I ...more
Holden Attradies
Dec 02, 2012 rated it really liked it
I have a huge soft spot for female Super heroes, even though their delivery is so often disappointing. This collection and this heroine did not disappoint in any way. Angela del Toro is an amazing, strong, and believable character. She fulfills the hero mytho's in a very satisfying way, doing whats right because it's right and knowing she has this power, so she has the moral obligation to go about using said power. Her interactions with her family, and the superheros she considered family, all a ...more
Kelly
Feb 12, 2017 rated it it was ok
Tamora Pierce is one of my favorite authors, so how is it possible for me to not love this? I think it had a lot to do with not knowing the backstory of these characters.
Michelle
I haven't read many graphic novels at all, let alone super hero novels. I enjoyed the plot and was able to (mostly) follow along without having read anything else from marvel. I wasn't sure how closely tied this character was to the rest previous to reading White Tiger. In case you're looking for books to recommend with diverse main characters, White Tiger is Latino.

There were lots of avengers (the spider-man group of avengers) references and even an Xavier reference (even certain appearances!).
Sep 09, 2007 rated it liked it
The sixth and final issue of this limited series finally was released this week, so I took the opportunity to read all six issues as one story (I don't have the actual trade paperback just the individual comics). When I fist started reading these I thought they were just ok, but they grew on me and I think I definitely got more out of them reading the arc as a whole. The art was good - nothing spectacular, but nothing drew my attention away from the story particularly either. Mostly this came ac ...more
Sidsel Pedersen
Nov 25, 2010 rated it really liked it
Loved it! It was just great!

I have wanted to read this comic for years, but never got around to buying it until now. I really wish there were more than the six issue that I got. I really liked Angela Del Toro as a person as a super hero. She really kicks ass, she is sassy, snarky and generally awesome. The story is really funny at times, entertaining and compelling. I could not stop reading - I had to read all six in a row. I love Angela's interactions with the other superheros like Black Widow
Karen
Jun 05, 2016 rated it it was ok
As many of the other readers have commented, I am a huge fan of Tamora Pierce and decided to give "White Tiger" a try. I haven't read many graphic novels (only 2 by Kim Harrison really) and am not familiar with the world of Marvel Comics. Perhaps I was just out of my element with this book, but I had a hard time following the sequence of events. At times, I felt like scenes were missing or pages deleted. In my opinion, the story did not flow well and was choppy and fragmented. Maybe that style i ...more
Amy
May 29, 2016 rated it it was ok
Darn-it! I am a huuuuge Tamora Pierce fan and Marvel was very smart to get her and her husband to write this because of her amazing work in female warrior writing. Also it gets people like me to pick up a Marvel comic. I heard Tamora talk at my local comicCon and explain that she was very unhappy with how White Tiger came out because Marvel edited it like crazy and pretty much took away the story from her. She said F* you and will never work with them again.
Knowing that she didn't have full cont
Ria
Jan 11, 2009 rated it did not like it
I don't like superheroes in general but knowing this was by Tamora Pierce and Tim Liebe i thought i was in for a treat.
It turned out for me to be her most disappointing work.
It wasn't her style, she was out of her genre, there wasn't much of a story and i don't think she carried it off well.
I know and love her for her fantasy work and i can honestly say if this had been my first encounter with her work i don't think i would have been so fanatical as i am and bought the rest of her novels.
All i c
Adriana
Oct 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
White Tiger is written by one of my favorite fantasy authors, so of course I really liked the writing. The plot is solid and the pacing keeps things interesting. There’s also the added bonus of cameos form several well known characters (thanks Netflix) to look forward to.
The art is pretty run of the mill, nothing that really stands out for good or bad. There are a couple of really good spreads, but there are also some perspective errors and shoddy line work so it evens out to “meh.”
This version
Mia
Dec 19, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: books-i-own
I was intrigued by this book that seemed to promise combining two loves of mine: Tamora Pierce and Marvel comics. Pierce did a good job of being true to the original story, and keeping the Marvel feel to the comic. There were a lot of better known marvel heroes in this one: spider-man, black widow, daredevil, iron fist, emma frost, etc. etc. but it didn't feel like they dominated too much.

The story itself was enjoyable but nothing special. I also liked that White Tiger is a Latino superhero...
Jessa Franco
Aug 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
Having read many of the reviews for this comic, I can understand some of the dissatisfaction. Although the text is written by Tamora Pierce, it is not her usual style. However that is not to say it isn't good. For those who read it hoping for another Alanna, you will and probably are disappointed. For those reading it as a continuation of the Daredevil comic, you will find it a quick and fluffy read. The plot is basic, but Spiderman's humor and the appearance of a number of fan favorites make it ...more
« previous 1 3 next »

• The Dragon Book: Magical Tales from the Masters of Modern Fantasy
  • Half-Human
  • Firebirds Rising: An Anthology of Original Science Fiction and Fantasy
  • Under the Moons of Mars: New Adventures on Barsoom
  • Serve it Forth: Cooking With Anne McCaffrey
  • The Fearless Defenders, Vol. 1: Doom Maidens
  • Tamora Pierce: " The Immortals " (Genre Fiction Sightlines)
  • Nightwing: A Darker Shade of Justice
  • Ms. Marvel, Volume 7: Dark Reign
  • Hulk: Season One
  • The New Avengers, Volume 8: Secret Invasion, Book 1
  • Captain America: Red Menace, Vol. 2
  • Confessions of a Blabbermouth
  • Book Club (Unshelved, #4)
  • Girl Genius Omnibus Volume 1: Agatha Awakens (Girl Genius, #1-3)
  • The Amazing Spider-Man, Vol. 7: The Book of Ezekiel
  • Runaways: Marvel Age, Vol. 1: The Pride
  • The Order, Volume 1: The Next Right Thing
Hey, folks! I just discovered that apparently I have given some very popular books single-star ratings--except I haven't. How do I know I haven't? Because I haven't read those books at all. So before you go getting all hacked off at me for trashing your favorites, know that I've written GoodReads to find out what's going on.

I return to my regularly scheduled profile:
Though I would love to join gro