Start by marking “Dragon Detective (Supernatural Consultant, #4)” as Want to Read:
Dragon Detective (Supernatural Consultant, #4)

Dragon Detective

(Supernatural Consultant #4)

Nickel might be a water elemental dragon, but even he has limits—and the sudden rain storms, hail, and snow in midsummer are way over the line. Luckily, he works for Dane’s Supernatural Consulting firm and can use those resources to figure out who keeps mucking with the weather and get them to stop.

Soon Nickel realizes he isn’t the only one searching for the weather worker
ebook
Published August 24th 2020 by NineStar Press (first published October 19th 2016)

To ask other readers questions about Dragon Detective, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dragon Detective

Start your review of Dragon Detective (Supernatural Consultant, #4)
Tracy's Place
Sep 09, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good story - unfortunately it left me with a lot of unanswered questions.
Vintagebooklvr
Aug 18, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: supernatural
2 1/2 stars. Dragons! And dragons with magic! And elemental dragons with magic! Right up my alley.

This book is the fourth in the series and the first I have read. The story is easy to understand without reading the others but it is just as easy to realize that I was missing a lot of background information that would have enhanced my reading experience. In fact, after reading the summaries of the earlier books it was obvious I was missing even more than I realized and this was a rich world popula
Serena Yates
It is about time I catch up with this series - full of dragon shifters and their magic, witches, half gods, and evil scientists out to harness the dragons’ powers for nefarious purposes. Dane (half god and in charge of a supernatural detective agency) and his partner Mercury (dragon shifter and SupFed working with the FBSI) are raising the seven dragon kits they rescued from the labs about ten years ago. And to my great delight this fourth book focuses on one of the older kits – Nickel.

Please fi
Serena Yates

Please fi
WyrmbergSabrina
Aug 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
Okay, so I shouldn't have started this series at book 4. I spent some time feeling a little lost, but with it being a short read, I figured it was worth seeing through to the end.
I did enjoy the dragons in here- usually human form, with nice colourful hair, but they can turn into dragons on will. There's also magic involved too, and each dragon has their own type of magic.
The detective agency theme is not a unquiet one and I have read of other supernatural detectives, so I wasn't that lost there
Sophia
Sep 17, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Many of you know just how captivated I have been from the beginning with this unique, light urban fantasy series that tells the story of a magical detective and his family of dragons as they work to free dragons from the scientists that are experimenting on them.

Each installment advances the story forward over the years so the dragon kits are growing up. This latest segment has Nickel emerging as an adult dragon and Dane’s new investigation partner. Dane hands him his first big supernatural cas
Veronica of V's Reads
This is the fourth story in a series, and best enjoyed when read in series.

Dane, a demigod, and his husband Mercury, a precious dragon shifter, have been diligently assisting dragons in need for the past ten years, while also raising their clutch of mis-matched and genetically-modified (by evil human scientists!!) kits.

This is the first time the narrator is not either Dane or Mercury. Instead, Nickel, who is now an 18 year old dragon and a full-on detective working for Dane's supernatural consul
Adriana
Aug 14, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: urban-fantasy
I'm giving this a forward-leaning 3.5 stars mostly because I am intrigued by the world, but I am afraid that this isn't one of those series where you can just jump in at any volume and enjoy. It just felt like I was expected to know more about all the characters and the unique world that they're inhabiting than what was explained within the book.
That said, the story focuses mainly on Nickel and Platinum and the bond they have due to the evil scientists that are experimenting on dragons and tort
R
Aug 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
This book focuses on Nickel, the oldest of Dane and Mercury’s kits. Nickel has become a full fledged investigator and is still concentrating on the scientists who had experimented on him. Platinum is a dragon on the run from these same evil men. Though Nickel and Platinum don’t really meet in this story their lives are still intertwined.

As with the other books, this one jumped ahead a few years. Nicely written story that got one step closer to solving the mystery of who is behind the dragon expe
2kasmom
This is book #4 in the Supernatural Consultant series. This book should not be read as a standalone novel. To be understood fully, and to avoid spoilers, I recommend reading this really imaginative series in order.

Nickel is a water elemental dragon. He is now working at the Supernatural Consultant firm. He wants to find out who or what is messing with the current weather. His searches may put him in danger, though.

Platinum is on the run. He has to hide from those mad scientists who have made his
Suzanne
Aug 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
A delightful short book (which I realized is number 4 in a series) on dragons living in the "human" world.
Really cute and sympathetic characters.
Perhaps because I jumped in later, I felt like I could use a lot more background information. But I'll check out book 1-3. I would have preferred to read the whole series in one book in one go though.
Good for anyone who enjoys fantasy, LGBTQ relationships and dragons. But let's be real, who doesn't like dragons?

Read this book as an ARC provided by NetG
Joscelyn Smith
Sep 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
Like the rest of the series Dragon Detective is short on pages but long on entertainment. Nickel and Platinum were wonderful characters and I loved seeing an older Nickel as he takes the lead in an investigation that leads him to Platinum. I'm looking forward to the next book to get more of this fascinating world and its wonderful characters.

*I voluntarily reviewed a copy of this book provided by NetGalley*
Annarella
Aug 25, 2020 rated it really liked it
An entertaining novella and a good addition to this series.
I liked the plot, the characters and the world building.
It's better to read the series in order to enjoy it.
Recommended.
Many thanks to the publisher and Netgalley for this ARC, all opinions are mine
Susan Anne
Aug 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I‌ ‌received‌ ‌a‌ ‌copy‌ ‌of‌ ‌Dragon Detective ‌by‌ ‌Mell Eight via‌ ‌IndiGo‌ ‌Marketing‌ ‌&‌ ‌Design‌ ‌in‌ ‌exchange‌ ‌for‌ ‌an‌ ‌honest‌ ‌review.‌ ‌This is a very addictive series that just keeps getting better with each book. I’m glad we finally got to meet Platinum and he is sweeter than I expected from a dragon experimented on by evil scientists all his life. While an air dragon, there seems to be something to his power that might be explained in a later story, much as we’ve learned more a ...more
Sunsettowers
I received an ARC of this book from the publisher in exchange for an honest review. This did not affect my opinion of the book or my review itself.

The Supernatural Consultant series is a series I always look forward to.

I know when a new book comes out that I will enjoy it, and that it will be a quick and fun read with characters I love and root for. Found family is a favorite trope of mine, and this series has it in spades, with (immensely powerful) father figures who choose each other and thei
Mathew
Jun 01, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Really stupendous stuff!
Donna
Firstly, don’t try to read this book as a standalone. It’s number four in the series and should totally be read as such. If you read it as a standalone, you’d probably enjoy the author’s well written words, but you’re not going to care much about the characters. It’s going to seem like more of a snippet from a longer story than anything else. But for those of us who squeal with joy each time we see one of these distinctive covers appear on Less Than Three’s coming soon list, this story is someth ...more
Melanie
Dec 20, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really love this series. That being said, this does not work as a stand-alone. There is too much explained in previous books for that to work here.

For the first time, we get the story from Nickel, the oldest of the dragon kits from the series, instead of from the parents, Dane and Mercury. Nickel has been working with Dane at his detective agency, and was part of the whole evil scientist shenanigans that happened in the previous stories.

Nickel has long been one of my favorites, and so getting
Phoebe
Mell Eight has started on the young kits stories with Nickel’s - yet not really Nickel’s story. Zinc’s egg twin, Platinum, is the focus of Dragon Detective. Nickel is on Platinum’s trail as are the scientists who held Platinum captive.

We learn what happened to Platinum during his time in captivity and get a glimpse of what may have happened to other dragons. Eight also shows us what is ahead for Lumie, Nickel, and Platinum and possibly Alloy.

Detective is action-packed and at times very funny d
Melanie
Oct 21, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A Scattered Thoughts and Rogue Words.com Review

Rating: 4 stars out of 5

For the full review, visit http://wp.me/p220KL-8wY

From that review: Dragon Detective gives this series a new couple of twists that I really enjoyed. Nickel, one of the dragon kits who has long been a favorite of mine, gets one of the two major pov here in the story. All the dragon kits are getting older and that's being reflected in the series. Some are finding their hormones just out of whack and starting to notice each othe
Laila
Dec 07, 2020 rated it liked it
I received a copy of this book to review from Netgalley. Thank you for the opportunity.
I hadn't read the previous books in this series so I found it difficult to follow at times but that is not the book's fault.
This is a fun and lighthearted read, following a found family of dragons. There is an interesting premise of mysterious weather events to follow and there are plenty of sweet moments.
On the whole a great book.
Suze
Oct 30, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5*
Another jump forward, 4 years this time.
Nickel is our main charcter in this installment and has grown into his job with Dane.
The investigation into the missing Platinum comes to a head and there is apparent resolution of the bad scientist who kidnapped all the dragons - but it does seem there may be puppetmasters in the background yet.

I have enjoyed reading this series a lot, seeing all the kits grow, seeing Dane and Mercury develop together and investigating the missing dragons and who is
Virginia Lee
Oct 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
4th book of the Supernatural Consultant series. Nickel has a mystery on his hands finding out who making the weather wacky. Platinum is hoping to get away from the crazy doctors. when the meet things really start to get interesting for this dragon family I would recommend that you read this book in order to understand all the characters. if you love ready about dragons then you will fall in love with this one

#BRVL Book Review Virginia Lee
Leigh
Sep 20, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love this little series. Mell Eight has made an interesting and unique world that is full of magic and most importantly Dane and his dragon family. Each book in the series is a look into their life the adventures they have.

This one focus a little more on Nickel and new to the family member Platinum. It will be interesting to see where that story line goes.
Donna Fernstrom
Oct 14, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is such a cute book. Seriously, it's full of the most adorable characters. And there are kittens. And an elf. I think.

Pros: Cute and amusing.

Cons: Not a tremendous amount of depth. I get that it's a later book in a series, but not a whole lot of coherent worldbuilding, or background. Very short.
Cathy Romanczuk
Nov 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another dragon found

This story picks up later for dragon consultant. The main character is Nickel and we also meet Platinum. The usual adventure and craziness ensues. Kitnapping and evil scientists contribute to the action. All the dragons from the series are in this story.
Andrea
Oct 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Short but wonderful. Mell Eight's writing is such a pleasure to read and these dragons are the best ever. I just wish it was longer. Part of a series and should be read in order. ...more
Maarja
I love Nickel as the new POV character! I'm looking forward to him being the star of next detective stories. :) ...more
Coltostallion
Dec 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
I've enjoyed this series immensely and this was a good addition! I'm never quite sure what to expect but I'm always pleasantly surprised! ...more
Eule Luftschloss
trigger warning
(view spoiler)

The weather is being weird, with snowstorms in july and lots of changes that feel like a random number generator would be responsible. Gossip in town says there's a new residence - which can't be coincidental.

I felt a bit lost at places, but this is the fourth installment of a series I've never read before, so that was to be expected. Apart from that, I liked it. We have a found family of dragons and other
Excited! 2 3 Sep 10, 2016 06:25AM

• Origin (Scales 'N' Spells, #1)
  • Treasured
  • Dinner at the Blue Moon Cafe
  • The Couple Next Door
  • The Reluctant Alpha (West Coast Wolves, #1)
  • The Making of Jonty Bloom (Unfinished Business, #1)
  • Worth It
  • Unnatural (The Wrong Alpha, #1)
  • Wild Warrior (Weavers Circle #2)
  • Jonty's Christmas (Unfinished Business #1.5)
  • Evie and the Pack-Horse Librarians
  • Everything Changes (Resilient Love #1)
  • Feel the Fire (Hotshots #3)
  • Hard Target (Wrecked: Guardians, #1)
  • Jon's Boom Shaka Laka Problem (Jon’s Mysteries, #4)
  • Better Than People (Garnet Run, #1)
  • Seventh
  • Crowned A Traitor (A Hellish Fairytale, #1)
When Mell Eight was in high school, she discovered dragons. Beautiful, wondrous creatures that took her on epic adventures both to faraway lands and on journeys of the heart. Mell wanted to create dragons of her own, so she put pen to paper. Mell Eight is now known for her own soaring dragons, as well as for other wonderful characters dancing across the pages of her books. While she mostly writes ...more

Supernatural Consultant (7 books)
  • Dragon Consultant (Supernatural Consultant #1)
  • Dragon Deception (Supernatural Consultant #2)
  • Dragon Dilemma (Supernatural Consultant, #3)
  • Dragon Soldier (Supernatural Consultant #5)
  • Dragon Lesson (Supernatural Consultant #7)
  • Dragon Adventures