Start by marking “The Haunting of Beatrix Greene Episode 1 (The Haunting Of Beatrix Greene, #0.1)” as Want to Read:
The Haunting of Beatrix Greene Episode 1 (The Haunting Of Beatrix Greene, #0.1)

The Haunting of Beatrix Greene Episode 1 (The Haunting Of Beatrix Greene, #0.1)

In Victorian England, a savvy spiritual medium must outsmart the most important client of her career: a scientist determined to expose frauds like her.

But their game of wits has fatal consequences when a vengeful spirit answers their summons. If they cannot put aside their prejudices—and growing passion—and find a way to banish the ghost together, one of them could be its
Published August 7th 2020 by Serial Box

Start your review of The Haunting of Beatrix Greene Episode 1 (The Haunting Of Beatrix Greene, #0.1)
Maureen
Nov 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
*3.5 stars *

Beatrix Greene is a spiritual medium - she has the ability to contact the dead - or does she?

Scientist and sceptic James Walker, makes it his business to discredit mediums as the frauds that he believes they are, however, he has an offer for Beatrix - to spend the night in the reputedly haunted Ashbury Manor, to deliver undisputed evidence of a vengeful spirit, or to discover whether these claims are in fact groundless, and he’s willing to pay a handsome fee for her services.

Victori
Nilufer Ozmekik
Sep 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
A haunted gothic, frightening, ghostly Victorian mansion where a massacre of mother and son have taken place! I don’t know you my friends but I already started to hear Twilight Zone’s theme song in my head!
Let’s take a look of this fast pacing horror novella’s storyline!

James Walker challenges Beatrix Greene to become his guest for one night at Ashbury Manor, conducting a spiritual seance to talk with the haunted spirits of the place, releasing their souls by ending their suffer and despair.

J
Debra
Oct 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
A spiritual medium, a disbelieving scientist, a haunted house and vengeful sprits make for a perfect spooky fall read.

Beatrix Greene has been invited to Ashbury Manor by James Walker. They are accompanied by her her friend and a photographer. Mr. Walker is not very upfront about his intentions but the money he is offering seals the deal. Is the house really haunted?

This proved to be a fast, engaging and riveting page turner for me. Very Gothic, very atmospheric, and very entertaining. The story
Jayme
Oct 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
3.5

This has been ALL over my home screen, so, I HAD to know more!

Especially since one of the three authors collaborating on this story was Rachel Hawkins (The Wife Upstairs-releasing in January)

What I didn’t realize was that it was episode 1 of 9, of a Serial Box story.

Serial Box releases original ebooks which come with Audible, one episode per week, like a TV show.

The Audible has several narrators and sound effects, and you can read and listen, or switch between the two. You purchase just
Marialyce
Sep 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
What a great book to read in time for Halloween! It contains all that is necessary for a very spooky read, a haunted house, a medium, a very frightening basement, and of course a macabre monster that has inhabited the home for eons.

It's a quick read and one that keeps the tension going until the end. A very short book and one that is sure to thrill those who seek some fun on a spooky night.

Thank you to Netgalley for a copy of this book due out October 28, 2020.
Carol
Oct 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
London

Really enjoyed this sneak peak of THE HAUNTING OF BEATRIX GREENE.

Even though we've heard a similar scenario....spiritual reader/medium invited to seek out and prove a vengeful spirit exists in a haunted house, I like the Victorian era setting and old fashioned type storyline as well as the two characters we've already met.

Want to continue reading NOW! ☹️

Tammie
Sep 21, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror-dark
The Haunting of Beatrix Greene: Episode 1, a horror book, was a solid 4 stars.
The book centers around Beatrix, a young woman who makes a living as a spiritual medium and taking on clients that want to contact loved ones from beyond. A smart and strong woman, she is challenged one night by James Walker to conduct a seance at the famous Ashbury Manor. The motive of James Walker isn’t apparent at the time but with a large amount of money at stake, Beatrix knows it could offer her the financial fre
Danielle (The Blonde Likes Books)
Oct 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror
This was interesting! I hadn’t heard of Serial Box until recently, but essentially each short installment of a story is released periodically, like episodes. This was “episode 1” of this story, and it definitely piqued my interest! I’ll be looking for episode 2 tomorrow!
Shannara
Sep 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley-2020
This was a really good haunted house story!! And I don’t know about you, but I really love a haunted house story that is well done. And for being so short, James and Beatrix are fairly well developed. I also adored Amanda, she was most likely my favorite character of all. Haz also added a bit of fun even though he wasn’t very developed.

To be honest, I don’t get very scared by ghost stories because I just don’t believe in ghosts. But I still enjoy a book that can make them seem real enough to gi
Eve (Between The Bookends)
Oct 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Well, what an enjoyable little book this turned out to be! A quick, creepy, scary, haunted house story, perfect for this time of year (Halloween). The entire time I kept reading it thinking "this would make a most excellent Netflix show or movie!" (take the hint Netflix 😉). If you are a fan of The Haunting of Hill House, then this book would be perfect for you!

**ARC provided by NetGalley**
Karen
Jan 07, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was great! Beatrix Greene is a spiritual medium who practiced "fake it 'til you make it", defrauding her clientele of hard earned funds while pretending to communicate with the spirits of their deceased loved ones.

Along comes James Walker, an American determined to expose her as a fraud. James hires her - at an exorbitant fee - to go to Ashbury Manor, a notorious haunted house. He wants to prove that she is a fraud. She wants to trick him, as she has done to countless others, and take
MaryannC. Book Freak
3.5 actual stars.

Wow! This had it's intense creepy moments that made for a scary read! Totally unexpected, but good.

Set in Victorian England Beatrix Greene is a spiritual medium hired by scientist James Walker to communicate with the dead at a notorious Manor home purported to be haunted, but James is also trying to expose her for the charlatan he believes her to be. James bargains for more than he realized when evil forces are unleashed and the true secrets of the house are revealed. What foll
Shannon Rochester
Oct 16, 2020 rated it really liked it
Thank you to Netgalley and the publisher for my digital copy in exchange for an honest review. I requested this book based on the cover and the synopsis...even though I usually have no interest in Victorian times...But I really enjoyed it. Beatrix Greene is just trying to make ends meet by working as a medium when one day James Walker comes into her life and makes her an offer she can't refuse. He wants her to come with him to Ashbury Manor and prove or disprove that spirits are a real thing. As ...more
Deanne Patterson
Nov 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
The Haunting of Beatrix Greene Episode 1.
Taking place in Victorian England this gothic tale is of a savvy medium who is challenged by a scientist. She must prove she's not a fraud by going to Ashbury Manor and proving or disproving spirits exist. What happens next, the consequences are unexpected as it unleashes an evil force that holds you captive as you read.
More episodes will follow that I will check out.

Published Pub Date 28 Oct 2020 by Serial Box
I was given a complimentary copy of this boo
Madeline  Worrell
The story cut off abruptly....I am quite intrigued and will read further books.
Karen
Nov 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing

Nov 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
This was a perfect read on Halloween night. I sat on the edge of my favorite reading spot finishing this haunted tale. It much longer than the mere 23 pages that it says it is. I really enjoyed it. Thought the author did a great job.
The time period was Victorian England. The story kept me hostage and made me nervous. I messed around with ouija boards as a teenager and it scared the crap out of me. This book had a similar feel. It reminded me of Amityville Horror, the book. There was a presence
Gina
This book is a very short (23 pages) beginning to The Haunting of Beatrix Greene Series. I didn't realize that when I started - my fault entirely as it is clearly noted. That being said, it did leave me wanting for more. I was a little shocked when it ended suddenly and left me going "WHAT???" - a cliffhanger.

I noticed on Amazon that they include this book in their "horror" genre, the one genre I normally will not read. However, there is no horror in this first episode, thankfully.

The story take
Publisher Serial Box

𝗕𝗹𝘂𝗿𝗯

Kayleighhokis
Sep 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
This story was a lot of fun. A short read to boot and perfect for the spooky season! The narrative itself was not the most unique and harkened back on many kind of house-horrors we’ve seen from classics but did so in a refreshing and enjoyable way.

Beatrix is a psychic medium who considers herself a fraud. When she is asked to join in on an adventure to prove or disprove the existence of ghosts in a mansion where a famous and gruesome murder takes place, Beatrix discovers more than just the horr
Alaina
I have received this ARC from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

The Haunting of Beatrix Green went by so quickly. I didn't even think it was going to be so quick to dive into and now I want more. So much more. I don't even know what to write about because this ARC was only 23 freaking pages long. So, yeah, I definitely want more and need to dive into another book or the next one. It doesn't even matter to me anymore.

The only thing I will mention is that I seriously hate cliffhangers bec
Monika
3.75/5⭐️

A Victorian haunted house story dramatised with episode like chapters + depths to characters + demonic relics/possession + a hint of ancient history!

Beatrix comes out of a darkness surrounding her that she never knew existed; hence the book title. Its so much more than a ghost story. James is the most eligible man every 19th century woman deserves. The language used is exquisite, so much like the old English. I mean I haven’t seen/heard anyone use words like “treacle” anywhere!! Last f
Tani
Sep 25, 2020 marked it as to-read
Shelves: arc
I received this ARC in exchange for an honest review. Thanks to the publishers and Netgalley.
Olga Gamer
Nov 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
I didn't realize that The Haunting of Beatrix Greene was a Serial Box story when I first picked it up and ultimately, it had no bearing on my review. I liked this story and found the Victorian mystery perfect for Halloween and spooky season but I did think that the romance was a little rushed and the mysterious spirit in the home a little underwhelming. I would have liked to see some more background information on the curse haunting the home, even a few lines. ...more
Andrea
Oct 18, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So this is my first book from NetGalley. I picked it because I've read Rachel Hawkins before- although it has been a very long time (I read the Hex Hall series which I liked) and also because it was creepy sounding which sounded perfect considering Halloween is coming up.

The Haunting of Beatrix Greene is a serial collaboration between three authors, Hawkins, Ash Parsons and Vicky Schecter. It is set in Victorian England and focuses on Beatrix Greene who is a spirit medium hired by a scientist w
Courtney
3 ⭐️
This short story is about a woman named Beatrix, who claims she is a physic. Her very livelihood depends on people believing it as well. when a gentleman arrives in town claiming that it’s all a lie, she has no choice but to prove him wrong when he invites her to a seance at a haunted mansion. However, things don’t go as planned for either of them and the night turns into a nightmare.
It was a good short story. The best part of this story was the mystery behind the mansion and the spooky ghos
Anatl
Nov 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
A solid enjoyable read that doesn't break new ground, but delivers exactly what it promises. A good seasonal choice for Halloween and lovers of gothic Victorian ghost stories.
This is the story of Beatrix a medium, and James a scientists who exposes supernatural frauds like herself who together set out to expose the secrets of Ashbury Manor, where his mother and younger brother found their tragic death. As expected the preternatural does manifest itself at the manor with steadily more gruesome c
Brenda
Sep 18, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley
Color me surprised! This little book was satisfyingly gruesome, albeit only in one section.

The plot is simple enough—a small group goes to inspect a haunted house. It moves at a brisk pace and left no room for boredom.

It’s a tad too cutesy for me though. The romance ended up being more in the foreground than I expected, and our heroine had a nice light up moment a la the Beast in Disney’s Beauty and the Beast where she was all golden light and shiny and beautiful. I wanted more of Stanhope being
☕️Kimberly
Oct 21, 2020 rated it really liked it
Ok, this was very good, but it was the first 2 chapters and to find out what happens you need to pay $8.99. The book releases in its entirety in January. This is a bite delivered by serialbox.com to entice you.

#Fraterfest
Justine
Sep 04, 2020 marked it as arcs
Thanks to NetGalley and Serial Box for providing an ARC!
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• The Black Flamingo
  • The Poppy & the Rose
  • Radio Silence
  • Beware the Past (DCI Matt Ballard, #1)
  • All Your Twisted Secrets