Start by marking “First Date” as Want to Read:
First Date

First Date

She’s been waiting her whole life to meet a man like Alex. But he’s been waiting too. And once he has her, he’ll never let her go…

Hannah has done everything to make sure her life is safe and secure. A long way from her unstable childhood growing up in foster care, she’s content with her sweet, little, messy apartment and her satisfying job as a social worker. She quietly w
Published October 16th 2020 by Bookouture

To ask other readers questions about First Date, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about First Date

Start your review of First Date
Dita
Shelves: netgalley
Honestly, I struggled with this one.

I generally adore this type of book but Hannah made me crazy. She ignored every red flag and didn't do the things people really do in the situations she found herself in with Alex.

Thank you to Bookouture for giving me a copy of this book. It was my pleasure to write an honest review.
Nilufer Ozmekik
Sep 17, 2020 rated it liked it
Somebody help me now! This book confused the hell of me! How can a book start as two starred, below the average reading ( no thanks to dislikable heroine) and end as five starred, WTH, this is deliciously twisty and smart reading, it blew my mind!

Yes, I hate the guts of the heroine. I wanted to punch her several times. I want to hire Cobra Kai members and their sensei Johnny Lawrence beat the sh*t out of her! ( because their motto is “no mercy”)

Dear Hannah acted like the most brainless, naives
Kim ~ It’s All About the Thrill
I am a huge Sue Watson fan. In fact I literally try to grab a copy of her books the second I can get my hands on them. She has mastered the thriller genre and I have enjoyed her last three books so much that she is a must read.

That being said, this one just was very hard for me to connect with for some reason. The first date that Alex and Hannah had, felt like it lasted forever. I got a bit bored waiting around in their homes..waiting for something to happen. Hannah...oh Hannah...get a clue girl
Jayme
Hannah knew that Alex was perfect from their very FIRST DATE. 🍷
They both wanted a yellow Labrador, three kids and weekends in Devon.

Her boss, and best friend, Jas, recognized Alex for the man he was-
possessive and controlling.

But, all that Hannah saw was “love and kindness” and she ignored EVERY red flag, justifying his behavior, at every turn, no matter how outrageous or UNACCEPTABLE!!

I was EXASPERATED by Hannah!

She had to be one of the dumbest women that I have ever met in literature!
I co
Jessica Kafka | JustReadingJess
Oct 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
First Date grabbed my attention from the first page.

Hannah has the perfect first date with Alex. Red flags start to be revealed. Is Alex really as perfect as Hannah thinks? Is anything Alex says true.

First Date is a crazy good book. It is something that any single person can relate to. Going on a promising first date and ignoring the red flags. Luckily most red flags people ignore are not as extreme as Alex’s red flags.

Hannah and Alex’s relationship was interesting to read about. The relation
Ceecee
Sep 27, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hannah’s first date with Alex goes like a dream as she’s certain she has indeed Met her Match as the online dating site suggests. They both want three children, a golden Labrador and their perfect holiday is a cottage in Devon. Too good to be true? Well of course otherwise it would be a very short book! Alex’s behaviour is odd from the start which becomes increasingly worrying to Hannah’s best friend and boss, Jas.

There are sections of this that I enjoyed in this easy read. There are some momen
Natalia  R
Oct 03, 2020 rated it really liked it

First Date by Sue Watson follows Hannah who thinks she's finally met the man of her dreams. Alex is good looking, sweet, considerate, has a great job, and wants the same things she does. But as their relationship intensifies, bizarre things start happening to Hannah and she doesn't know who to trust.

A gripping psychological thriller that perfectly captures what it means to be in a toxic relationship. The story kept me engaged from start to finish and I didn't know who to trust or believ
Gary
Sep 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
My first Sue Watson novel and as a sign of how much I enjoyed it purchased her other novels once I finished this one.

Hannah wants a man and when she meets Alex the signs are good and she feels he could be the one. Hannah's grew up in foster care and her childhood was unstable but now things are feeling a lot better. She enjoys working as a social worker and is content in her cosy apartment but at 36 feels she needs a man to fall in love with. Her best friend encourages her to use a dating app w
Susan Z
Sep 27, 2020 rated it liked it
Hannah is searching for love and has a perfect first date with Alex. Well nearly perfect, anyway, there is a glaring red flag that Hannah chooses to ignore.

Throughout the book, Hannah continues to ignore the red flags, which can be rather annoying; however I was highly entertained and invested in the first half of the book. Unfortunately the 2nd half didn't have much more to offer so I began to lose interest.

I did enjoy the ending, it wasn't what I was expecting or guessed at all along the way.
DeAnn
Shelves: 2020
2.5 Disappointing Stars

I had heard good things about this author, but this was a disappointing read for me. I found myself rolling my eyes at the ridiculous main character, Hannah. As my friend Jayme said in her review “She had to be one of the dumbest women that I have ever met in literature!”

Hannah want to meet Mr. Right so badly that she’s willing to overlook all the faults in the new man she’s dating. What Hannah sees as taking care of her every want, her friends see as controlling and manip
Dita
Sep 23, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Honestly, I struggled with this one.

Louise Wilson
Oct 14, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hannak has done everything to make sure her life is safe and secure. Her childhood had been unstable growing up in Foster care. She now works as a social worker, she's thirty six years old and worries that she might never fall in love. She joins a dating app and meets Alex. They had lots in common: music, food, they both want to travel the world and much more. Hannah's friends are not keen on him. But Hannah thinks he's perfect.

There is no such thing as a perfect man and Hannah is deluded. She t
Christina
Sep 23, 2020 rated it liked it
So first, the good! I had never read anything by Sue Watson before, and I really like her writing style. Very fast-paced, good narration style, and good at building suspense. I will definitely check out some of her other thrillers.

This one though lost me a little bit because the main character, Hannah, as my Goodreads friends Jayme and Dita have also pointed out, was SO aggravating. There were obvious, and I mean OBVIOUS, red flags with another character in the story from about page three, and s
Mark
Sep 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Hannah cannot find her ideal man, she has tried online dating ( one of the experiences she recollects is hilarious ) and then she meets Alex, he is perfect, he wants to be with her and love her 24/7....but is this love or is it control?
Her friends are suspicious and think control but they say ‘love is blind’ and Hannah has waited too long for Mr Right and so she ‘lets a few things go’, however by the time she realises it’s too late....almost
And there I shall leave the plot before I give anything
Linda Strong
Oct 06, 2020 rated it really liked it

Hannah is almost desperate to have a man in her life .... a man who will love her, a couple of kids, a beautiful home, who is kind and loyal. Impossible?

She thinks so until she meets Alex through a dating app. He's everything she wants in a man. They have so many things in common .. it's like he was made for her.

That's all right .. because she's the woman he's been looking for. And now that he's found her, he plans on keeping her forever.

Hannah's friends and co-workers don't like him. In their e
Louise Wilson
Oct 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
Hannah has done everything to make sure her life is safe and secure. Her childhood had been unstable growing up in Foster care. She now works as a social worker, she's thirty six years old and worries that she might never fall in love. She joins a dating app and meets Alex. They both had lots in common: mjsic, food, they both want to travel the world and much more. Hannah's friends aren't keen on him. But Hannah thinks he's perfect.

There is no such thing as a perfect man and Hannah is deluded.
Carrie
Oct 08, 2020 rated it liked it
Review coming soon.
Stina
★★★★★ 4.5 stars (rounded up)

If something seems too good to be true, then it probably is.
But that didn't stop Hannah.

As a huge Sue Watson fan, I literally pounced on the chance to take part in this blog tour, thereby requesting the book. I've not read her romance books...but her thrillers? She has the genre mastered! And she almost always creates a character that gets so under your skin you want to throttle them!

Enter Hannah. Thirty six, single, somewhat content...but lonely. After coming out of
Michelle
Sep 27, 2020 rated it really liked it
First Date by Sue Watson is the first book from author I have read, and I am finding hard to put into words how I feel about this book.
Hannah Weston has not the best of luck with relationships. The last one she had with Tom she had to ask him to move out. So, she decides to use a dating app where she meets Alex. Alex seems to be the perfect boyfriend. Wanting the same things in life, three kids, a Labrador and a holiday in a cottage in Devon. The first date goes well she thinks that he maybe the
Dom
Sep 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
A big thank you to Netgalley, Bookouture and Sue for letting me read this in return for an honest review!

I'm going to start with this....
‘Oh shit, he’s been here too,’ she says. ‘Your Alex has let himself in and tidied away the bloody biscuits.’
Because amongst everything that made me laugh.

The first half of the book was rather slow but I understand it had to build up a relationship with Hannah and Alex to be able to show all the "crazy" and the downward spiral of events throughout.

The last half
Tracy Frenette
Oct 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
First Date by Sue Watson
Pub Date 10/16/2020

I finished this book last month but I still owed the publisher and author a review on this one.

First Date was an absolutely jaw dropping psychological thriller. The protagonist in this book was ugh annoying af lol. Who falls in love on their first date? Hannah does. Hannah has been waiting for a man like Alex all her life. But Alex has been waiting too. I think I was annoyed by Hannah because she let so much slide, like these aren't gaint red flags.
Ale
Melissa (LifeFullyBooked)
Oh Hannah. For such an intelligent woman with such a caring heart, how could you fall for Alex's manipulation? Wasn't there any part of you that, after catching him in multiple lies, wanted to do a bit of investigating into whether or not he was actually telling the truth?

I have to be honest, through most of this book I was just irritated with Hannah. It seemed like a straightforward 2-star book about a woman getting manipulated by her smarmy boyfriend and being way too naive to see what he was
Robin Loves Reading
It was the perfect First Date, as Sue Watson's latest thriller indicates. Hannah took a chance with online dating. The profile for someone named Alex that she liked not only showed quite a handsome guy, but he matched her almost completely. When they have that first date, he checks even more boxes. Things couldn't be going any better for Hannah when she begins dating Alex. Coming from a difficult past as a foster child, Hannah often wondered if she would ever find stability. She need look no ...more
Shalini
Oct 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
I have had lousy first dates, let’s be frank, who hasn’t? It was almost always the guy’s fault. Some of you might know the saga of the caterpillar as I have shared with a few, and it is hilarious every time I recounted it. But this first date took the cake and the icing and the cherries on the top as the heroine Hannah ignored all the signs and saw everything with rose-tinted glasses, including her internet date, Alex. I think I was that naïve when I was a teen. Or maybe not.

This was the incredu
Vanessa Menezes
Sep 22, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
Hannah has done everything to make sure her life is safe and secure. She quietly worries that, aged 36, she might never fall in love. Until, encouraged by her best friend to join a dating app, she meets Alex.

It’s like he’s too good to be true. They connect with each other instantly and they have the same interests as well. Hannah’s friends aren’t so sure about him. But Hannah thinks he’s perfect.

But Alex knows Hannah’s perfect for him too. And once he has her, he’ll never let her go…

This was suc
Diane Merritt
Sep 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Another great read from this Author.
Pulls you in making you think you are the crazy one. Fantastic all the way through but loved the ending the most. Pick this one up you wont be disappointed

Thanks to the author, the publisher and Net Galley for an early release of this book.
Bridget
Having read another Sue Watson novel, The Sister-in-Law, I had some idea what to expect from this one, First Date and I wasn't wrong as, from the outset, it was a wonderful read for me.

About the Book:

Julie Lacey
Oct 16, 2020 rated it really liked it
Another great book from Sue Watson.
Hannah meets Alex on a dating app and feels like they were meant to be together. Small things like having a Labrador, going to Devon and even how many children they want all match so Hannah falls for him quickly.
Alex then suggests putting a ‘find me’ trace on her phone as there had been problems with his ex wife and this is where the trouble starts.
Alex can’t let Hannah out of his sight for long and her friends have noticed they she doesn’t spend much time o
menna hafez
#FirstDate #NetGalley

Thanks to NetGalley and Bookouture for providing me with ARC.
This is the second book to me by sue weston after * The sister in law* but not like it, the characters are boring and i don't like them special Hannah, i hate that kind of girl who is walking blindly because of love.
menna hafez
Sep 27, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: netgalley
Thanks to NetGalley and Bookouture for providing me with ARC.

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »

• Five Little Words
  • The Wife
  • The Mistress
  • You and Me
  • The Assistant: A gripping psychological thriller with a nerve-shredding ending
  • Unfaithful
  • The Girls in the Snow (Nikki Hunt, #1)
  • The Night Away
  • My Sister's Husband
  • My Darling
  • The Lakehouse
  • THE PERFECT LIAR
  • The Stepdaughter
  • The New Girlfriend
Sue Watson was a journalist then TV Producer at the BBC until she wrote her first book and was hooked.

She's now written thirteen novels - many involving cake - and her books have been translated into Italian, German and Portuguese. Originally from Manchester, Sue now lives with her husband and teenage daughter in Worcestershire where much of her day is spent procrastinating while eating cake (for

News & Interviews