Start by marking “The Surgeon's Wife” as Want to Read:
The Surgeon's Wife

The Surgeon's Wife

In the summer of 1985, in his exclusive Upper East Side Manhattan apartment, Robert Bierenbaum, a prominent surgeon and certified genius, strangled his wife Gail to death. He then drove her body to an airstrip in Caldwell, N.J., and dumped it into the Atlantic Ocean from a single-engine private plane. The next day he reported her missing.

Gail's parents had been thrilled to
Published September 17th 2001 by St. Martin's Paperbacks (first published September 1st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about The Surgeon's Wife, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Surgeon's Wife

DAISY DISNEY
Feb 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: true-crime
I really have to give it up to Mr. Crowley, the author of this book. He did a spectacular job in portraying both sides of this case. I must say that after reading this and all of the evidence, I am not so sure that Dr. Bierenbaum should be sitting in that jail cell right now.

Gail clearly had her own issues when she disappeared & although I am not a supporter of reading all of the victim's dirty laundry in the true crime books I often read, in this case I think it was extremely important for
Debi
May 09, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: true-crime
I bought this book because of the great reviews and hated every minute of it. It was written terribly despite the author being a New York Times bestselling author.
Repetitive - Entire sections were repeated.
And every time a woman was in the story her outfit and physical appearance were described - not the men. Who cares if the woman testifying was wearing pearls and was an 'attractive blonde with a stylish pixie haircut'

Torture!
Rita
Jan 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book was a riveting read. I couldn't put it down and the author was top-notch and spot-on with the research, details and about the families. A must
read.
Micki Glenn
Unsatisfying

Not certain I am a fan of this author. The book was absorbing for long stretches, but repetitive and speculative in others.
Editorial efforts were VERY sloppy. Twice, half a page was repeated, verbatim. Many sentences were cut off or nonsensical.
The story itself is very interesting, but the sloppy editing is so prevalent that it disrupts the flow of the story.
Ronnie Cramer
Jul 29, 2017 rated it liked it
Having recently read and enjoyed ALMOST PARADISE by this author, I decided to re-read his earlier book THE SURGEON'S WIFE. It was good, but did get repetitious when the trial started; apparently Keiran's technique improved in the four years between these books. The ebook version was also loaded with typos, most of which were clearly the result of OCR scanning.
Ann Prewett
Feb 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
True crime at its best

Quite possibly the most thoroughly researched and unbiased true crime story I’ve ever read. The author is an excellent writer with well-crafted sentences that are often absent in this genre.
Deirdre Collier
Sep 19, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Better than average

Interesting twist on the usual true crime story. The role of the psychiatrist makes it especially interesting. The author's final thoughts have me lots to think about.
Diane Waddington
Mar 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
great book too bad it took so long to get him.
Angie Horn
Jun 11, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good book

It was an interesting book but sad that Gail, the wife, lost her life. The author's reporting of the court room got alittle old. Overall a good book.
brenda  belg parlaman
This was a cant put down book!!!
Tree
Dec 29, 2008 rated it really liked it
Amber
Aug 02, 2011 rated it it was ok
This books was mediocre. It wasn't too badly written but there were parts that were a bit redundant and though it's a sad story and the guy is a psychopath it was hard to get into it or to feel a connection to the victim as she was a conniving manipulator who was really just using her husband anyways. It's sad to think that not only did she lose her life, she didn't even get a chance to experience real love and instead wasted her time with an abusive man that she didn't even love anyways.
Karen & Gerard
The Surgeon’s Wife by Kieran Crowley is the true story of Gail and Robert Bierenbaum. Once married, their marriage went south in a hurry. One day Gail is no longer around. Did Robert kill her? I got into this book fast. The trial part of the book was fascinating. I know this book is like ten years old, but it’s very good!
Janice
Jul 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
Experienced writer, Kieran Crowley, does a skillful job retelling the story of how a young, impulsive doctor's crime, committed against his wife, comes back to haunt him 14 years later. I gave this book 4 stars and recommend it as a choice true crime read.
MrsBlackmore
Jul 30, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2015-challenge
Challenge 14. A nonfiction book. This book was ok. Interesting story but it only needed half of the information. A lot of it was really tedious or just unnecessary. It would have made an excellent short story or even half of this long book.
Gail
Sep 07, 2009 rated it liked it
A truw crime. Not the kind of book I would normally read, but it was pretty interesting. It started kind of slow, and I almost gave up reading it, but the second half picked up and I really got into it.
Janet
Aug 07, 2008 rated it it was ok
This was an interesting story, but I think the author tried to write in Anne Rule's style and he just didn't succeed. The book is very long and the narrative is rambling with many repeats of information that had already been given. There are better true crime books out there, so avoid this one.
Mike
Aug 22, 2009 rated it it was ok
Not too great, got bored at chapter 42
LoquaciousHeiress AKA Empress of Verbosity :P
IT DRAGGED. ON And ON about minutiae I am not even sure why it was in there. Not a favourite, but will read Kieran Crowley again!
SenoraG
Nov 22, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Full review Here
Lorreen
Mar 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
Mostly interesting to me in that I was looking into this true story.
Justine Brossart
Maltaise
Apr 05, 2011
Forsha Megon
Apr 28, 2014
  • Seven Days of Rage: The Deadly Crime Spree of the Craigslist Killer (48 Hours Mystery)
  • Cold Blooded
  • Dead Reckoning
  • Innocence Lost
  • To Have and To Kill
  • Beyond All Reason: My Life With Susan Smith
  • Dead Ends: The Pusuit, Conviction and Execution of Female Serial Killer Aileen Wuornos, the Damsel of Death
  • A Need to Kill: Confessions of a Teen Murderer
  • The Dating Game Killer: The True Story of a TV Dating Show, a Violent Sociopath, and a Series of Brutal Murders
  • A Warrant to Kill
  • LAPD '53
  • Beyond Evil: Inside the Twisted Mind of Ian Huntley
  • Dismembered
  • Dead And Buried: A Shocking Account of Rape, Torture, and Murder on the California Coast
KIERAN CROWLEY is a New York Times bestselling crime author and investigative reporter who has received communication from an actual serial killer and deciphered his secret code. Crowley has covered hundreds of trials and thousands of murders and recovered evidence missed by police at numerous crime scenes, some of which helped bring killers to Justice. He lives in New York with his family.