Start by marking “Rival (Briarcliff Society, #1)” as Want to Read:
Rival (Briarcliff Society, #1)

Rival

(Briarcliff Society #1)

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  867 ratings  ·  90 reviews
The Nobles

We come from high society, but the grooming process starts in high school.
And we always recruit in the dark.
As a result, our messes are rarely clean and never brought to light.
Money's not an issue, and usually, neither are our members.
Until one decides to betray us.
Let this be a lesson to our initiates: Never choose love over loyalty.
And a word to Chase Stone, Br
Kindle Edition
Published October 1st 2020 by Mitchell Tobias Publishing LLC

To ask other readers questions about Rival, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rival

really liked it Average rating 4.00  ·

Start your review of Rival (Briarcliff Society, #1)
eli ♡
note: this review contains minor and major spoilers for this novel. please proceed with caution.

"Rival" is a chaotic mess that may have pleased me at times, but left me frustrated for most of the novel.

I couldn't even describe the synopsis to you because the plot isn't clear in the synopsis provided on Goodreads, and the plot sure as hell wasn't clear to me while reading this. the best way I can explain this is by giving you the details that apply to my review.

-Callie's mother was murdered, and
Sherlock Hughes
This was my first book from this author but it definitely won't be my last!!!

The plot was intense, filled with twists and turns, and it was written in a way that pulled me into the story... it was almost as if I was watching everything unfold vs reading it. This isn't your typical bully romance, it's like Veronica Mars with more steam and more bullying, basically its pretty epic. I loved Chase, he was dark, mysterious and so sinfully hot. Callie was fierce and she definitely reminded me of Veron
Short and Sweet Reviews by Sam

Before I begin my review for Rival (Briacliff Secret Society book 1) by Ketley Allison, I would personally like to thank the author, the publishers and Booksprout for the opportunity to read this ARC and I have reviewed it honestly.

Briacliff Academy. An elite educational home for the richest, smartest and meanest. A dark and intense story of bullying and a mean girl who'd put Regina George to shame, a steaming enemies to lovers affair and niggling secrets, Rival will keep you riveted from page o
J. Ockenhouse
Sep 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Oh, how I love a book that takes you further into the woods and allows you to get lost in it. Each page adds another twist and each character is just as twisted as the plot.

It's the kind of book you get enough of. I can't give away too much but I'll tell you that my senses are on high alert for book 2 because this book world is more addictive than my 10 cups a day of coffee.

If you are a fan of twisters and characters that have you on edge than I'd suggest you read RIVAL ASAP.

I received an ARC fo
Vanda O'Neill
Sep 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Kelly Gregory
Sep 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
This had an amazing storyline...with secret societies, lies and betrayal at every turn, I literally couldn't stop turning the pages! I liked the main characters but admit I did find Callie a bit frustrating at times.
At first I thought this would take the same route as a lot of the other bully romances out there, but although there is bullying I feel this story is going in a completely different direction and I'm really excited to see what happens in the next book!
Highly recommend.

I received a fr
Ketley Allison
Sep 25, 2020 added it  ·  (Review from the author)

This is just the beginning of Chase and Callie's twisted relationship, filled with secrets, lies, and off-the-charts CHEMISTRY

RIVAL Releases in one week! Grab it now on preorder for 0.99 before it goes to its regular price on release day!
DV
Jan 31, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
These books straight up gave me trust issues. One minute everything was fine and going toward the plan and then BAM! You get hit from the side and get taken out by something you never expected. The twists and turns in these books always kept me on my toes. You don’t know who is on what side, you never know who will randomly show up in the plot, and you never really know if someone really is who they are they are. The mystery throughout each of these books are what kept me so hooked. Not going to ...more
Rachelle Reads
Sep 25, 2020 rated it really liked it
Wow! What a ride! This story is packed full of suspense and mystery. Callie is one strong sassy chick!! I love her and her witty banter. She’s been through a lot she shows her vulnerabilities as much as her very stubborn mind!!
Chase is pretty much a mystery yet we see some of his darkness and some of his protectiveness towards Callie but there’s so much he knows and isn’t saying.
We do get some answers but there’s still soooo many unanswered. The dialogue and banter has such a real feel to it
Amanda
Sep 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oh I need more, this book is extremely good.

Mystery, death, secret societies, drama that draws you in and not knowing who to trust. This book is very well written and draws you in. It leaves you wanting more, and I cannot wait for the second book to come out!

This review is short but only because I know if I wrote more it would turn into a 4 page rant about everything in the book and how I can't wait for the next book to come out.
Jessica *The Lovely Books*
Interesting concept but the main characters have no chemistry. I’m not convinced of their “romance”. But I’m willing to see if the second book redeems itself.
Shyralf
3 ⭐️⭐️⭐️ 1/2 Stars! Bully, high school trope. An ok read.
Hannah Franklin
May 26, 2021 rated it liked it
I previously DNF’d this but have absolutely NO IDEA WHY. is it cheesy, cliche, tropey, & predictable? Yes. But just like I am with salt, I kept wanting more.
Yesley
Oct 09, 2020 rated it did not like it
Unrealistic and poor editing

Its really all over the place and poorly written. Super confusing , but maybe its suppose to be? The main characters have no chemistry
Eliza
***CW SPOILER TAGGED AT BOTTOM***

Truly a standout start to a series. I was worried it was going to be rh, but it's not!! Thank goodness, I can't handle that shit. It's certainly not a standalone though, and the series should definitely be read in order. It ends in a cliffhanger. You've been warned so no whining! It's a story that actually makes sense to be split into multiple books. It's not all filler or bloated to milk money, there's genuinely a lot of story to be told.

It's a little dark, not
Regina
Feb 05, 2021 rated it did not like it
Here I go again

somewhat spoilers below

I thought this would be one couple for each book ,but noticed that the secondary characters didn't really get " meat " told about them. After chasing the unicorn down the yellow brick road ,basically huffing throughout this whole book I find that there are 2 more and both cliffy...... And don't know how many more?? Nope just no
This had filler and not good filler. We learned almost nothing of her moms death except she was murdered.I think she was a cop but ge
Georgia
Oct 03, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This honest review was provided in exchange for an advanced review copy.

To be honest, Rival is not a book I would have bought to read. In my late twenties I am moving away from high school based stories but I am SO grateful that I got sent this ARC and had to read it. I've been pulled into a world that has sucked me in with its mystery and twists and turns. It was a bit more thriller than I anticipated and full of sexual tension... definitely right up my alley. So much so that I purchased the b
M
May 05, 2021 rated it did not like it
One star almost feels harsh, but... Nah, I'm gonna justify it.

I was super interested in this book when I started reading it, but my interest majorly lagged very quickly. My main problem with it is a problem I've encountered many times before. It's the classic 'intrigue based on lack of information' element of the mystery behind the plot. Plainly put, it is BEYOND annoying when the MC is completely out of the loop on everything simply because no one in her life will have a proper conversation wi
Bookandinklover
Feb 01, 2021 rated it liked it
The secret society aspect of this story is what drew me to this book. I’ve read countless bully romances that are all about mean girl/mean boy/entitled elite cookie cutter passive aggressive themes. I hoped this would be different.

Yeah no. Well, it is different in so much as there are these mysterious “cloaks” that appear to be working behind the scenes and dictating the passive aggressive and more often than not ridiculously confusing scenes. I get that the author was trying to convey mystique
Rebecca Hawkins-Lee
Mar 15, 2021 rated it really liked it
This steamy academy and bully romance had hints of mystery and intrigue and was COMPLETELY up my alley! This book was not at all what I expected and it WAS SO GOOD! The school setting was full of horrors and secrets that would make anyone interested and the characters all play a variety of terrifying cat and mouse games that would make anyone a little crazy. The book took so many twists and turns and I was really desperate to find out what was going to happen!

The characters were interesting, bu
M. Mendes Bookstagram
Whoa…Rival is filled with so many surprises, twist, turns, things going sideways and so many emotions. All the things I love to read. Ketley Allison did a fantastic job capturing my attention from the very first page to the last. There is so much that happened within Rival that I literally can’t say much without giving something away and spoiling it for readers. Rival had several mysteries and I am guessing one will be the running theme(conflict) or should I just say mystery that will be ongoing ...more
Shaakirah
Sep 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
OMG!!!!
WOW!
I just finished reading a flipping amazing book and i'm just utterly gobsmacked - forget all the other books i've read that were page gripping and had me awake at night! This is the one - 'the' book that i've actually fallen for!
It was pure and utter ecstasy and full of beautifulness i cannot begin to explain!
It has you literally gripping to your seat and turning page after page and you will not be able to stop!
I absolutely love the characters; chase and callie and even piper and the
Kaye
Oct 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
🕸️🕸️ONE WILD AND WICKED RIDE🕸️🕸️
Hotdamn Batman! Ketley hit the nail on the head with 100% on point realism, serving up one dark, decadent thrill, keeping you riveted on a razors edge and frozen to your seat, launching this jewel to staggering heights. Shenanigans, escapades and havoc run amuck, broken boundaries and forced limitations are amplified and strengthened, reaching deep for every ounce of strength in a fierce surge of self preservation, powering through with such intensity and vigor, b
Laura Jackson
Dec 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have never read anything from this author before. I am a sucker for academy romances and scandalous bully boys.. I found this book was unique in that there’s something very wrong going on here. The secrets keep piling up with not many answers and the ones Callie gets only leads to more questions. Piper is definitely the most interesting., Chase is playing a few sides but is he on Callies..
I love the older back story and how it links to what happens in the book .. how they refer to it so much
Leanne Bryson
Oct 03, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the first book I've read by Ketley Allison, but won't be the last, especially because I have to read book 2 of the Briarcliff Secret Society series! This book is not your typical bully book. The real bully is more of a really mean girl who unfortunately is our h, Callie's roommate. Callie is being raised by her stepfather and his new wife, after her mother was murdered. Callie has lived a difficult and troubled life, who her stepparents decide sending her to Briarcliff Academy will be be ...more
Brandi Barger
Feb 11, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book. As my first read by this author I now want to devour every one of her books. It had the just the right amount of mystery, sexy times, and edge of your seat suspense with some thrown in bullying that I could literally not put this book down. I took a chance on a new to me author and I don’t regret it at all. I’m so anxious to see where this goes. I really hope Chase and Callie get their lives together and the books end how I want them to end.
Callie nor Chase were weak characte
Tash  Soul Sisters Divine Moment with Books
Rival is SOOOOOOOOOO different to your usual high school bully romance.
The more popular bully romance has become, the more all the stories start to sound the same. Obviously it has a few little similarities but on the bigger scale, it was SO different which made it such a great read.

There was so much mystery and suspense. No joke, the whole way through!!! Callie is like a new age Nancy drew.

At times this book gave me chills! Actual goose bumps and had you questioning everyone and everything! You
Anna
Oct 03, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
First of all, this story is not one I would normally have bought/read, but I am really happy I received the ARC (thanks!) and ‘had to read it’. Will definitely continue reading this series.

Set at a very posh private school, many of these seniors seem a bunch of privileged a**holes. Callie is a kick-ass heroine who -new at school- starts off being at the receiving end of their nastiness. Secrets of the founding family, secret societies, the (accidental?) death of a pupil pull you into the story.
Robin
Nov 12, 2020 rated it it was ok
DNF’d

The book was confusing to follow. The characters are bleh and cringe worthy. The MC’s feelings towards Chase is ridiculous and I kept skipping those parts of when she’d see him because honestly, like it was annoying in a way that I found lazy. Like there was literally nothing else the MC could have thought of besides how he looked and made her want to jump his bones like a possessed spider monkey?

FYI: I didn’t read the synopsis so honestly I didn’t know what I was getting into. Maybe if I
Lea Wedmore - Gabelman
This story started out really slow. I wish the relationship between Callie & Chase had progressed a little quicker just because I wanted more scenes with them but I did kind of like the slow burn. I had an inkling in the beginning that Ivy was a part of the society & after the lies Callie caught her in & Edens warnings that someone isn't who they say they are, I think my thoughts were correct. I am interested to see how this plays out. This actually could have been a reverse harem if the writer ...more
« previous 1 3 next »

• The Golden Boys (Kings of Cypress Prep, #1)
  • Wicked Titan (Golden Olympus Academy, #1)
  • Never His Girl (Kings of Cypress Prep, #2)
  • Cruel Titan (Golden Olympus Academy, #2)
  • Broken King (Green Hills Academy Trilogy, #3)
  • Twisted Knight (Green Hills Academy Trilogy, #2)
  • Striker (Redwood Rebels #1)
  • Savage Rose (Rosehaven Academy, #1)
  • Savage Devil (Green Hills Academy Trilogy, #1)
  • Pretty Little Savage (Sick Boys, #1)
  • Cruel Prep: A Dark High School Bully Romance (Princes of Ravenlake Academy Book 1)
  • Tainted Rose (Rosehaven Academy, #2)
  • Stone Cold Queen (Sick Boys, #2)
  • Do What I Say (Dirty Little Secret #1)
  • Hate So Good: A High School Bully Romance (The Hate Series Book 2)
  • Bad Apple (Willow Heights Prep Academy: The Exile Book 1)
  • Fallen Heirs (Windsor Academy #3)
  • Dirty Wicked Prince (Court Legacy, #1)
See top shelves…
Author of Romantic Suspense, New Adult, and mature YA.

Check out my Amazon Author page!

Visit me on Facebook!

Visit my website!

Follow me on Instagram!
@ketleyallison

Briarcliff Society (4 books)
  • Virtue (Briarcliff Secret Society, # 2)
  • Fiend (Briarcliff Secret Society, #3)
  • Reign (Briarcliff Secret Society #4)