Start by marking “Mango and Peppercorns: A Memoir of Food, an Unlikely Family, and the American Dream” as Want to Read:

A powerful memoir of resilience, friendship, family, and food from the acclaimed chefs behind the award-winning Hy Vong Vietnamese restaurant in Miami.

Through powerful narrative, archival imagery, and 20 Vietnamese recipes that mirror their story, Mango & Peppercorns is a unique contribution to culinary literature.

In 1975, after narrowly escaping the fall of Saigon, pregna
Expected publication: March 16th 2021 by Chronicle Books

To ask other readers questions about Mango and Peppercorns, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mango and Peppercorns

Start your review of Mango and Peppercorns: A Memoir of Food, an Unlikely Family, and the American Dream
Kru
Jan 18, 2021 rated it it was amazing
First things first - I totally love this cover.

This is an alluring compilation of recipes on Vietnamese cooking alongside a narrative of friendship, faith, harmony that blends in the American dream and the refugee story. A delightful read, that I would recommend to all readers that love food and getting to know people.
Natalie White
Nov 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This multi-narrator memoir offers a view into the lives of a Vietnamese refugee and her American host. Through their narratives and reflection Nguyen (the Vietnamese refugee) and Manning (her host) share the hardships, grit, and determination required to make their American Dreams a reality.

Readers are confronted with the complexity of the refugee experience and root for not only the success of Nguyen as she begins her new life, but also that of her young daughter, whose voice becomes a third pe
Janet
Date reviewed/posted: December 7, 2020
Publication date: March 16, 2021

When life for the entire universe and planet turns on its end and like everyone else you "have nothing to do" while your place of work is once again closed and you are continuing to be in #COVID19 #socialisolation as the #secondwave is upon us, superspeed readers like me can read 300+ pages/hour, so yes, I have read the book … and many more today.

I requested and received a temporary digital Advance Reader Copy of this book fro
Opal E
Jan 19, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Mango and Peppercorns by Tung Nguyen, Katherine Manning, and Lyn Nguyen is a memoir about a famous Miami restaurant and how it came to be, how it introduced the region to Vietnamese food, and how it survived despite the odds thanks to the unlikely friendship of two strong and very hard working women. I am so glad to have read it.

I am an unconditional fan of Vietnamese food - my comfort dish is in fact the pho which I used to eat once a week as a baby and later as a teen in a hole in the wall lit
Dec 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Sarah by: Netgalley
This unique memoir records the story of two women with vastly different cultures and personalities who became friends, then family, and created a restaurant and a life together.

Told in both their voices (with some additional passages by their daughter), you get the benefit of reading most stories from both of their perspectives, a singular experience that I completely enjoyed. Nguyen is a Vietnamese refugee with a harrowing tale of escape at the end of the Vietnam War and Manning her eventual s
Meghan
Dec 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: library
This book was received as an ARC from Chronicle Books in exchange for an honest review. Opinions and thoughts expressed in this review are completely my own.

If you want inspiration and are a foodie like me you can't get any better than Mango and Peppercorns. Tung's story warmed my heart and at parts brought tears to my eyes. No matter how tough things were for Tung, he wanted the American Dream to share his recipes from Vietnam with the world. Katharine is such a strong woman believing in Tung w
Sarah Andrews
Dec 09, 2020
Nikkie
Dec 09, 2020

• The Spy Who Raised Me
  • Leaving Everything Most Loved (Maisie Dobbs, #10)
  • In Love & Pajamas: A Collection of Comics about Being Yourself Together
  • Stories I Only Tell My Friends
  • Seeing With The Heart (Kindred Tales, #3)
  • A Touch of Darkness (Hades & Persephone, #1)
  • Sorrowland
  • A Touch of Ruin (Hades & Persephone, #2)
  • Her Marine Next Door
  • White Hot Kiss (The Dark Elements, #1)
  • Destination Anywhere
  • A Strange Hymn (The Bargainer, #2)
  • The Stopover (The Miles High Club, #1)
  • Haven
  • Where It All Lands
  • The Takeover (The Miles High Club #2)
  • The Hearts of Men
  • Troubles in Paradise (Paradise, #3)