Start by marking “Duane's Depressed ” as Want to Read:
Duane's Depressed

Duane's Depressed

(The Last Picture Show #3)

Funny, sad, full of wonderful characters and the word-perfect dialogue of which he is the master, McMurtry brings the Thalia saga to an end with Duane confronting depression in the midst of plenty. Surrounded by his children, who all seem to be going through life crises involving sex, drugs, and violence; his wife, Karla, who is wrestling with her own demons; and friends ...more
Published April 7th 2003 by Simon Schuster (first published January 1st 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Duane's Depressed, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Duane's Depressed

Start your review of Duane's Depressed
Tim
Mar 10, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Dads over 50 :)
Shelves: formative, humor
Once in a great while, the resonance of a book takes you by the collar and shakes you like a dog with a sock. This is one of those for me. Maybe it wouldn't have been this way a year ago or a month from now or if I had eaten differently this past week, but I just finished this book and I'm a wreck. It's hilarious. It's sad. And hardest of all for me right now, it's a mirror.

This business of the importance of who you are at the moment you read something (or see a movie, or listen to a song)
Simon Robs
Jun 04, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Yesterday was Larry McMurtry's 83rd go round so here's to ya Larr ah wee dram's whisk! This book and "The Soprano's" TV series born together in 1999's culture ain't it funny the both Poo Bah's skulking off to their skirty shrinks for to unburden a toot. The Proustian gimmick to get at memory and existential loss played well form to sluice into denouement an fade to sunset.
Kasa Cotugno
Nov 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Re-reading this novel for my bookclub was a treat. It had been long enough since the first time that my experience was similar to a first reading. We were introduced to Duane via The Last Picture Show, reencountered him in Texasville as a middle aged man, and here he is in his 60's, feeling overwhelmed with family whose members can't seem to get out on their own. This progression reminded me of Updike and the continuation of his Rabbit series which I believe began as a standalone, but continued ...more
Dixie Diamond
Feb 05, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Carl
Shelves: fiction, 1990s, texas
Susan
Jul 10, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
A very rare Did Not Finish. I just can't handle another page of pure silliness. The Last Picture Show was great. Texasville was 2nd in the series, set some decades on down the road. Where The Last Picture Show was serious and real, Texasville was ridiculous. I kept reading because someone had told me that Book 3, Duane's Depressed, got better. I generally love McMurtry, so I slogged through the silliness of Texasville and finished with great relief. I took a break, read another book, then ...more
Tom
Feb 10, 2013 rated it liked it
Larry McMurtry wrote an article for the Texas Monthly's February 2013 issue, called Horsemen, Goodbye. It was mostly a promotional piece for his writings, most of which I haven't read. I learned about Duane's Depressed in this article. He was going on about how much he liked Houston when he mentioned it. "I also set maybe my best novel, Terms of Endearment, in Houston (Though Duane's Depressed is maybe as good.)"

I had seen the movie Terms of Endearment, but never heard of Duane's Depressed, so I
Midge
Apr 11, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I picked this book up at a library book sale because it looked interesting, and I have enjoyed other novels by Larry McMurtry. Unfortunately, I learned that this is the third in a trilogy, so I have read the last before the first and the second...and enjoyed it immensely!
Duane Moore is a successful businessman with a quirky family and a comfortable as an-old-pair-of-slippers marriage, who suddenly begins to question his purpose and worth in life. One day he just parks his pick-up, leaves the
Book Concierge
3.5 ***
This is the third book in the series of novels that explore the lives of the residents of Thalia Texas. Duane Moore is 62 and a successful oilman, married, with 4 children and 9 grandchildren. One day he parks his pick-up truck and starts walking, becoming the subject of town gossip and speculation, and completely baffling his wife, Karla. Duane’s “mid-life crisis” and search for a meaningful life forms the central plot of this work.

Jan 02, 2009 rated it really liked it
I gave it 4 stars because Larry McMurtry is one of my favorite authors of all time. I started reading him with Lonesome Dove in my late 20s, and as then, this book did not disappoint. He nails Texan culture and characters, and I can hear each character talking. I've heard them all before in real life! You'd like it if you like Texana, but it also includes insight into the human plight along with the humor. It was a fun read.
Leah
Aug 23, 2008 rated it really liked it
I sobbed like a baby at the end.
Dav
Oct 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: series-2-prime
Duane's Depressed • by Larry McMurtry

The entertaining and tragic story of 62-year-old Duane Moore who upon returning home one day takes notice of his cluttered carport and the feeling of being imprisoned, as he drives his truck--everywhere. He feels he has wasted his life behind the wheel of that truck. To combat his sense of futility he hides his truck keys in an old mug and determines, from now on, to walk wherever he needs to go.

This "walking" alarms the residence of his town Thalia, Texas (a
Jon
Dec 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
I'm very late to the party in reading the third installment of Larry McMurtry's story that started way, way back with "The Last Picture Show." The whole, three-book story is sad, funny, a little hard to buy at times even in context, but this one surprised me. For me, it was a little slow at first, some characters seemed annoying without really moving the narrative along. But it closes, after some tragedy and typically McMurtyesque unseen turns, optimistic and a little sad. The writing is sharp, ...more
Alana Cash
Sep 20, 2018 rated it did not like it
Got through several chapters with nothing happening except (protagonist) Duane taking a walk and the whole town getting in a uproar about it. The whole little town. Silly. I quit reading.

I am a native Texan. I've lived in West, Central, and South Texas. I've met families with drug problems, but it was never a shallow topic of conversation at the dinner table. People were worried. People were arrested or worse, committed suicide. Not Duane's family. It's just a normal topic. McMurtry paints his
Floyd Williams
Mar 17, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the third in the trilogy that includes The Last Picture Show and Texasville. I read the first two several years ago so I thought I should complete the story. I was not disappointed. The book moves a little more slowly than the first two but that is not surprising as Duane, the protagonist, is reflecting on his life and trying to figure out what to make out of the rest of it. While depressing in parts, as the title would imply, the message (I think) is that one can move forward and ...more
Dale
Jun 17, 2017 rated it did not like it
given to me by a state of GA/AZ-friend (MMM) who raved about it; yet again another novel about a ne'er do well who does not do well (aka: 2close2home4me2continue2finish--well maybe not really, but nonetheless, it has that kind of negative appeal)...this is why you should not give a good friend a book you love--they (me) just might hate it...looking for some good drama...it will come if I keep reading but not with this one; attempted 17 Jun. 17; 1/5 stars (barely)
Patrick
Nov 06, 2019 rated it liked it
The idea of the whole town getting upset when a character acts OUT of character may seem silly to some, but those people probably never lived in a small town where there isn't much else to do but gossip about one another! This book moves slow, if you are looking for an action/adventure, this is not the book for you! If you are into an book of a character doing some heavy introspection, you are in luck, McMurtry has written a book just for you!
Robert Schwab
May 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Another 5-star effort from a master storyteller. This 3rd of 5 Thalia books is about aging and the sense of life’s purpose, as well as the angst of feeling that one’s life may have been wasted. Many of the long-time characters leave us, but Duane endures. If you read this, start at the beginning of the series. Time very well spent
Brandy
Jan 03, 2018 rated it liked it
This was the 3rd book in the Last Picture show series and it was good. You really liked Duane's character. It was really sad about Karla though. Her character was so likeable especially in the Texasville book.
Brian Angle
May 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book grew on me. McMurtry's easygoing style started off seeming simplistic, without much happening. But he draws you into the characters, and pulls out the deeper meanings of life from basic, small-town events. It helps to be a middle-age guy that can relate to Duane.
Tim McKay
Jan 17, 2020 rated it it was ok
More of the same as the Texasville ...................
Alexandra
Jan 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved this book - one of my favorites.
Judith
Dec 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Satisfying series, ended well.

I enjoyed the introspection in this concluding volume. It was easy to like the characters & their situations. McMurtry does not disappoint.
Stephen Castley
Aug 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
A much better read than I was expecting. It is good and insightful.
Julie
Sep 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I think you need to be his age to read this book. If you don't see yourself someplace in this book? We all have these thoughts at this age at one time or another.
Bw Farmer
Oct 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I want to read all McMurty stories, and I have.
Irmi1969
Oct 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
One of the most remarkable books I've ever read. The others in the series are also good, but this one is outstanding. Having been reminded of it, I simply MUST read it again soon...
Louis C Smith
Jun 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
From the past

Jungians note that the first half of life is a mistake in that often it is someone else’s agenda. The courage to follow one’s own path is rare.
Holland
Sep 23, 2017 rated it it was ok
Better than Texasville, but still too many words for a story that could have been told better with less.
Gio Gamboa
Jul 04, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: western
Very confusing with no plot, just dialog... boring ..
Jean Prior
Jun 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Like all of Larry McMurty,s books, skillfully written. Makes the reader feel the intense heat & the largeness of the state of Texas & its people
« previous 1 3 4 next »
simplistic 1 4 Feb 23, 2016 10:28AM

• The Cold Six Thousand (Underworld USA #2)
  • My Dark Places
  • The Whale Warriors: The Battle at the Bottom of the World to Save the Planet's Largest Mammals
  • Kook: What Surfing Taught Me About Love, Life, and Catching the Perfect Wave
  • Hell or High Water: Surviving Tibet's Tsangpo River
  • Murder One: A Colby Tate Mystery (The Colby Tate Mysteries Book 1)
  • Agent Running in the Field
  • Killshot
  • This Storm
  • The Girl of My Dreams
  • The Secrets We Keep
  • The Risk Pool
  • The Painter
  • Hunting Eve (Eve Duncan, #17)
  • Can You Feel This?
  • A Job You Mostly Won't Know How to Do
  • Catwoman, Volume 2: No Easy Way Down
  • Our Game
Larry McMurtry was born in Wichita Falls, Texas on June 3, 1936. He is the author of twenty-nine novels, including the Pulitzer Prize-winning Lonesome Dove, three memoirs, two essay collections, and more than thirty screenplays.

His first published book, Horseman, Pass By, was adapted into the film "Hud." A number of his other novels also were adapted into movies as well as a television

The Last Picture Show (5 books)
  • The Last Picture Show
  • Texasville
  • When the Light Goes
  • Rhino Ranch
“Without realizing it, he had been wasting time—years and years of time, time that would never be his again. He had failed to take advantage of the diversity of opportunity that had been, all along, available to him.” 2 likes