Start by marking “The Triple Echo” as Want to Read:
The Triple Echo

The Triple Echo

3.72  ·  Rating details ·  113 Ratings  ·  9 Reviews
The Triple Echo was the last novella that Bates wrote, although he later noted that he had actually begun working on it in 1943 and didn’t finish it until 1968 because during all that time he had been inhibited and unable to complete the task by what proved to be the handicap of a superfluous character. Once this was discovered and removed, the story was quickly finished. ...more
Hardcover, First edition, 80 pages
Published 1970 by Michael Joseph

To ask other readers questions about The Triple Echo, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Triple Echo

Trevor
Apr 23, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own-copy
A moving, enthralling, touching short story. This tale of an army deserter and the war "widow" who takes him in was simply but lovingly told. Very descriptive and extremely well written and easy to read. It is years since I have read any H.E. Bates, and I had forgotten what a good writer he is, I'll have to read some more now.
Billy O'Callaghan
Mar 16, 2017 rated it liked it
The last few years, I feel as if I can't get enough of H.E. Bates. Something about his style of storytelling, and the glittering quality of his descriptions, just does it for me.
The Triple Echo is a late novella, published only a few years before he died, but it apparently took 25 years to write, the problem being a superfluous character within the mix that finally had to be cut out. It was worth the extra work because the result is pretty good.
A soldier stumbles onto an isolated farm, and meets
Poppy
I read this during a short train journey, and it kept my gripped, but I didn't love it. (view spoiler) But, nevertheless, I found it entertaining fodder for a train journey.
Ian
Nov 27, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
A couple of years ago, I found a boxed set of Bates’s novels and novellas in a charity shop. It was really cheap, and I vaguely remembered he was highly-regarded, so I bought it. The first novella I read, Dulcima, didn’t go all that well (see here). It was apparently turned into a film in 1971. The Triple Echo was slightly better, and I vaguely recall seeing its film adaptation (starring Glenda Jackson and Oliver Reed). During WWII, a woman on a smallholding, whose husband is a prisoner of the J ...more
Bob Hartley
Jun 01, 2012 rated it really liked it
Got through it in a few hours. It gave me a real "suck my dick, world" feeling. I don't know who Ron Clarke is, though. I think it's funny how the main character gets more cynical as the novel goes on, and it's interesting that it was written by a man, to satirise lecherous attitudes at the time it was published.
Geoff
Mar 04, 2011 rated it it was ok
A rather strange little novella about an army deserter who is sheltered by a young woman in a remote farmhouse. To evade capture by the military police he disguises himself as a woman and even agrees to go to a dance with another man. Some readers may have little difficulty in suspending their disbelief but I found I couldn't!
Martin
Jan 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
A brilliant short novel from Bates. Beautifully written as you'd come to expect from the pen of one of England's greatest, yet completely underrated authors. Typical of the sort of story that made me launch my campaign to promote the work of HE Bates at www.thevanishedworld.co.uk
Alex
Oct 23, 2015 marked it as to-read
Novel: Biography says it's like Tootsie but not funny. (That's not what it says.)
Glen
Mar 11, 2009
Beau Wilkes
Jun 05, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Herbert Ernest Bates, CBE is widely recognised as one of the finest short story writers of his generation, with more than 20 story collections published in his lifetime. It should not be overlooked, however, that he also wrote some outstanding novels, starting with The Two Sisters through to A Moment in Time, with such works as Love For Lydia, Fair Stood the Wind for France and The Scarlet Sword e ...more