Start by marking “Rainbow Valley” as Want to Read:
Rainbow Valley

Rainbow Valley (Anne of Green Gables #7)

4.01  ·  Rating details ·  30,648 Ratings  ·  815 Reviews
Anne Shirley is grown up, has married her beloved Gilbert and now is the mother of six mischievous children.

These boys and girls discover a special place all their own, but they never dream  of what will happen when the strangest family  moves into an old nearby mansion. The Meredith clan is  two boys and two girls, with minister father but  no mother -- and a runaway girl
Published November 3rd 2006 (first published 1919)

To ask other readers questions about Rainbow Valley, please sign up.

Fionn technically it could be but its not its about the lives of the children who love and cherish rainbow valley its about there deep love for rainbow…moretechnically it could be but its not its about the lives of the children who love and cherish rainbow valley its about there deep love for rainbow valley and the story is focused on Anne's children the manse children and Mary Vance not rainbow valley its self but it does mention what each child thinks of rainbow valley and why the love it(less)
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Elinor  Loredan
Mar 03, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010, l-m-montgomery
The front cover is simply maddening! There are four girls, and Anne only has three, so one must be a Meredith. So which one??
The boy in the water is, I'm thinking, Shirley, and the tall one is Walter. The girl sitting is Diana.
If the girl in the blue dress holding the flowers is Rilla and the one holding the basket is Nan, or vice versa, then who is the second redhead? Rilla's hair is a softer red, and neither of the Meredith sisters has red hair.
Till my dying day I will be puzzling over this...
Shantelle
I'm so happy I finally read Rainbow Valley! I read the previous books in the ANNE OF GREEN GABLES series by L.M. Montgomery a few years ago now ... but just never got around to book seven. Now I have! *grins* And it was fun! I'm so excited to get my hands on a copy of Rilla of Ingleside!

It was wonderful to be back in this classic world, filled with wonderful characters. The bits we saw of Anne, I, of course, loved! I had missed her! She is as passionate, whimsical, sweet, and delightful as ever.
Lady
Nov 12, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, favorites
Like I always say, children are the best form of birth control. Even imaginative, sweet-natured children. Oh, lisping Rilla, being chased into the mud by a codfish-wielding Mary Vance... how I laughed uproariously over your plight, though I gathered from the soulful prose that I was meant to feel sorry for you.

Seven books in, and I can't stop wondering what Anne was like in bed. When one of her litter of six was born, L. M. Montgomery wrote of a stork depositing a bundle of baby at the Blythe re
Naomi Sarah
Well that was stinking adorable. I loved it.

What I like:
1. All the Blythe children, but especially WALTER. I just love Walter to bunches and bits. I love when he fights despite not wanting to. And how he always dreams and thinks up whimsical things. He makes whimsies manly, Walter does. He's so sweet and I love him.
2. Una. SHE'S SO SWEET. The end.
3. Jem. Jem is a teenager now and he's so handsome and tall. Gah, these children.
4. I loved the beginning of this book, and just GAH. It's Montg
Obsidian
I remember reading Rainbow Valley when I was a kid and enjoying it, but not loving it. I still have that same issue today.

This is technically the 7th book in the Anne of Green Gables series. However, it was the fifth book published. L.M. Montgomery went back later and wrote Anne of Windy Poplars and Anne of Ingleside. I think that is why I often felt as if Anne of Ingleside was more dark than the earlier books in the series.

This novel though it proclaims it is an Anne of Green Gable book really
A.
Jul 09, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The stories of Anne of Green Gables manage to cast such a cheerful, lighthearted glow on the world. At first glance it almost seems too much, as if the characters are unbelievable because the world isn't so bright and good all the time. But L.M. Montgomery doesn't avoid writing about characters that suffer, she just refuses to dwell on the misery in life. Even characters such as Mary Vance, or Lida Marsh have a hopeful feel to them. It makes me feel like some of our authors today try too hard, s ...more
Laurence R.
Jul 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
LMM's stories are the absolute loveliest. I just adore her characters! This book is cute and funny and mostly light-hearted, which is exactly what I needed.
Audrey
Jun 07, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I didn't expect to love the Meredith children (and unforgettable Mary Vance) so much, but I found them charming. This whole book was really delightful--filled with so much childhood innocence and gentle humor. This book had a central plot and was better constructed than the previous volume in the series. I think that's why I enjoyed it more.

There is some serious foreshadowing in this. Montgomery was definitely preparing her readers for the looming cloud of war that shakes the world in the next
Beth
This has always been one of my least-favorites of the series, but I reread all the Anne books this past week and couldn't leave this out.

I might be a completionist, but still: a reread in the order I just read maybe isn't the most coherent? I started with Windy Poplars (the most underrated Anne, I think; I love it) and then read Anne of the Island (favorite!), Anne's House of Dreams, and Anne of Green Gables; I skimmed Avonlea (my second least-favorite), read Ingleside, then Rilla (so, so good),
Play Book Tag: Rainbow Valley by Lucy Maud Montgomery - 3 stars 1 8 Jun 19, 2017 08:48AM
How can this be an Anne book... 3 39 May 09, 2014 03:34AM
Pizen? 2 20 Jan 24, 2014 10:00PM
Blythe book or Meredith book? 9 83 Dec 08, 2013 04:34PM
  • Betsy in Spite of Herself (Betsy-Tacy, #6)
  • Just Patty
  • Jo's Boys (Little Women, #3)
  • Clover (Carr Family, #4)
  • The Four-Story Mistake (The Melendy Family, #2)
  • Kłamczucha (Jeżycjada, #2)
  • These Happy Golden Years (Little House, #8)
Lucy Maud Montgomery was a Canadian author, best known for a series of novels beginning with Anne of Green Gables, published in 1908.

The author of the famous Canadian novel Anne of Green Gables, Lucy Maud Montgomery, was born at Clifton, Prince Edward Island, Nov. 30, 1874. She came to live at Leaskdale, north of Uxbridge Ontario, in 1911 after her wedding with Rev. Ewen Macdonald on July 11, 1911
More about L.M. Montgomery...

Anne of Green Gables (9 books)
  • Anne of Green Gables (Anne of Green Gables, #1)
  • Anne of Avonlea (Anne of Green Gables, #2)
  • Anne of the Island (Anne of Green Gables, #3)
  • Anne of Windy Poplars (Anne of Green Gables, #4)
  • Anne's House of Dreams (Anne of Green Gables, #5)
  • Anne of Ingleside (Anne of Green Gables, #6)
  • Rilla of Ingleside (Anne of Green Gables, #8)
  • The Road to Yesterday (Anne of Green Gables, #9)
“It is never quite safe to think we have done with life. When we imagine we have finished our story fate has a trick of turning the page and showing us yet another chapter.” 27 likes
“Being frightened of things is worse than the things themselves.” 25 likes