Start by marking “Slaughtermatic” as Want to Read:
Slaughtermatic

Slaughtermatic

(Beerlight #2)

Set in the blood-drenched chaos of Beerlight, "a blown circuit, where to kill a man was less a murder than a mannerism," Dante Cubit and his pill-popping sidekick, the Entropy Kid, waltz into First National Bank with some serious attitude and a couple of snub guns. Murderous, trigger-happy cops, led by the doughnut-chomping redneck police chief, arrive in force, firing ...more
Published April 16th 1998 by Da Capo Press

To ask other readers questions about Slaughtermatic, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Slaughtermatic

Start your review of Slaughtermatic
Scott
Nov 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favourites, fiction
‘The average legislator is driven by the desire to cool his molten ignorance into some lasting obstacle’

I couldn’t resist starting this review with a direct quote as Slaughtermatic contains some of the most intensely stylish and sharp prose I have read in any fiction across any genre. Steve Aylett has a gift for gonzo that makes him one of the most interesting writers I have encountered and while reading this book I regularly read sections aloud, just to hear the twisted and wonderful phrases
Olethros
-De pistolas de Aproximación Cero, Colts Dermograph, Cortacalles Mag 10, Impactores de 9 mm, XL73E2 de Apoyo Ligero y mucha mala leche.-

Género. Ciencia-Ficción.

Lo que nos cuenta. En la ciudad de Beerlight, Dante Cubit y Kid Entropía, con el apoyo técnico de Rosa Control y Download Jones, ejecutan un atraco a un banco mediante el método de permutación del que son pioneros. Pero las cosas se complican. Segundo libro de la serie Beerlight, pero que se puede leer de forma totalmente independiente.

¿
Traummachine
Mar 30, 2012 rated it liked it
3.5 stars:
This was fun, and far different from what I was expecting. It's exactly what the cover blurb portrays (heavy on the violence, with cyberpunk and time-travel aspects both thrown in), but this book added a couple more dimensions to these already convoluted plot-points. First, it was a satire, big time, and this was great. Aylett has a real talent for telling very clever little side-stories; only when they're done did I really understand that he was really making some very insightful
zxvasdf
Nov 08, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Dante Cubit wants a book and he is willing to rob a bank and commit a Time crime to do it. The book is a famously recursive novel in which nobody has survived a reading. The Entropy Kid, Dante's perpetually dyspeptic partner in crime and his KafkaCell Gun (subjecting the one pulling the trigger to a flash of the barrel of his own gun hence his mortality) are in on the heist. Then shit hits the fan and a whole lot of factors converge in search of Dante Cubit and... his double!

Slaughtermatic is a
Amanda
Feb 16, 2010 rated it really liked it
I usually read at least 6 books at a time and have never really had a problem keeping the storyline of each straight. I found out with this book that Aylett is not an author that u can set down for a couple days and come back to at all. I probably ended up reading the book twice cause i had to reread almost everything due to the fact that i would set it down for a couple days and then come back to it.

Probably the weirdest heist book ever written and in true bizzaro fashion it is almost
Bernabé Borrero
Apr 12, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Extraño e irónico libro.
Lo encontré escondido tras un montón de libros antiguos, en una librería-cafetería de Barcelona, perdida entre calles estrechas. Nada más caer en mis manos, leí el título, la reseña y ojeé algunas páginas y de inmediato supe que este libro era para mí.

¿De qué va? La verdad, sigo sin tenerlo demasiado claro. Mezcla presentes con futuros, verdades con realidades virtuales, armas, paradigmas, crítica encubierta y un inquietante sentido del humor.

No es fácil de leer, y en
Alejandro
May 22, 2018 rated it liked it
Not as fun as "The Crime Studio" and at times it felt like Aylett was pulling a Tarantino on me…in other words, he was far more interested inhering himself speak and sound clever than tell a story. Still, there is a wonderful sense of the absurd in its depiction of extreme violence and its tongue-in-cheek depiction of a corrupt law system. A mixed bag for me.
David Whovian
Jul 01, 2017 rated it it was ok
Incomprehensible to me, the first time I read it.
Maybe I'd like it better if I tried it again.
Matthew Metzdorf
Jan 23, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: owned
I was really into this for the first 50 pages and felt like I lost the thread a little bit, which caused it to fizzle for me. It is a frantic weird fiction/sci-fi with a lot of violence and creative weaponry. The writing has a nice pace and there's a lot of clever dark humor.
Theomanic
Jul 09, 2018 rated it liked it
This book was like a confused train wreck. I couldn’t look away as the train hit a giant piñata full of guns, energy, and dystopianism. Macabre metaphors and sarcastic similes. Red, white, and purple. I just wish all the candy wasn’t salty.
Stephen Toman
Oct 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Thomas Pynchon + Robert Rankin = Steve Aylett
Anthony Faber
Dec 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A reread. Major points for dialogue & slang. A bit hard to follow at times.
Douglas Hackle
Mar 28, 2012 rated it really liked it
Though I found Slaughtermatic to be far more accessible than Aylett's shamanspace, my brain still ended up cracking in half two or three times while reading the book. Now don't you worry about me and my gray matter; I merely pried open my cranium, glued my brain back together, then resumed reading.

Slaughtermatic is a highly entertaining cyberpunk, bizarro-noir, satirical mindbender, where just about every other sentence is a brilliantly inventive, brain-snapping epigram.

I realize the sentence I
Aaron
Feb 08, 2010 rated it really liked it
An interesting detective story that knowlingly sacrifices character building and plot, yet somehow comes up with relatable and deep characters and an intriguing, unique plot. Great balance of bizarro and noir. I tend to like my bizarro a bit more explosively violent, and my noir a little more relentless, but a lack of extreme flavor doesn't diminish from the surprising dignity of the plot.

The pacing seemed weird at times, and the introduction of one billion and one characters was difficult to
Frank Deschain
Feb 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
This is a book that's an orgy of bullets, violence, hilarity, defying the authorities, jukeboxes playing melodies of different gunshots, and bank heists gone wrong. The action is at a breakneck pace and never lets up. It gets a bit confusing at times, but I've never had more fun reading any book. I hope to read the rest of the Beerlight novels. Steve Aylett's great at creating hilarious plays on words.
Tyler
Jul 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi, favorites
I absolutely loved reading this book. It was a very fast paced read and i felt like if i was not reading it as fast as i possibly could that i was not reading it as Aylett intended. I hate that i have not known about Steve Aylett longer. Hell i still would not know anything about him if while browsing in a used bookstore i wouldn't have seen Grant Morrison's name on the cover of Shamanspace. Really want more of his books as quickly as possible (especially Lint).
Joey Comeau
Mar 29, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This book is the exact sort of book you get when you see a sci fi action movie, and you think, "That was good, but there was so much boring shit. I wish it was just awesome action and clever dialogue the whole time!" It is best read in many many sittings, because he writes every line like it is his last. A whole novel written in epigrams.
Jen
Aug 22, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
An interesting Cyber Futuristic novel challenging reasoning and motives. Set in a time where sociopolitical issues seem to have been replaced with emotionally reactive and responsive weaponry. I found this book a bit challenging, getting my head round the slang and the false leads and twists was quite tough. Nevertheless it's very well written and pacey, just not really my cup of tea.
Mik Sabiers
Nov 12, 2007 rated it liked it
Not bad altogether, but not the easiest to folow, has a lovely mix of surreal and downright vicious, but nees full attenton to really follow through and could have done with a couple more concrete narratives, but worth having a read to while away those hours waiting on a train/plane etc
Bryce Warman
Dec 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
I liked this when I was a teenager. I imagine rereading would feel like watching four friends slam Monster Energy Drink and play Call of Duty. And if I wanted that experience I would make four friends and buy them energy drinks and an X-box.
Esteban
cyberpunk...

really disturbing, altought pretty interesting

constant twists in the story.

story not so well developed, losses the reader from time to time

6/10
Grant Frazier
Mar 06, 2013 rated it liked it
A bit of A clockwork Orange, and a bit of Neuromancer. Beautiful backdrop, but the flow of the story and depth of the characters left something to be desired. Luckily it's short, so you can just kind of sit back and enjoy the clever wit, and violence.
Donald Armfield
Apr 19, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: humor
A great book Steve Aylett is one of my favorite authors cant wait to read the rest of his books..

While reading to the end of this book i came across page 118 & 119. They were identical pages same words on each page. Did anyone else come by this same error??
Peter Hollo
Dec 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've tried but mostly failed to get into most of Aylett's other fiction. It seems to random and perhaps weird in the wrong direction for me. This totally weird take on cyberpunk somehow hit the spot perfectly though, ever since I read Paul Di Filippo's review in Interzone years and years ago.
River fields
Mar 14, 2008 rated it it was ok
fun little book here, its sci fi, its modern warfare firearms, its comedy. got kinda bored thru some of it. felt like tried to be too much of one genre then switched to too much of another.
Nick
Nov 02, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: anyone willing to listen
Shelves: sci-fi
Bloody and entertaining. Lots of stuff explodes. Beyond the realm of most peoples' imaginations.
Malcolm
Absurd (and that's a good thing), excessive (also a good thing), dystopian, but ultimately slightly unsatisfying – although saved by some brilliant one-liners.
Michael
Jul 16, 2009 rated it liked it
This is not for everyone, but it was for me - a not-quite-cyberpunk novel set in a city where crime is an artform. A unique book, I enjoyed it.
Shane
May 28, 2007 rated it liked it
Crazy, surreal, absurdly violent. Just the right length. Some very hip writing.
Steven
Indescribably bizar, and very funny.

• Beyond Boundaries: The New Neuroscience of Connecting Brains with Machines and How It Will Change Our Lives
  • Zealot: The Life and Times of Jesus of Nazareth
  • The Mongols
  • The Magicians Trilogy Boxed Set
  • Halting State (Halting State, #1)
  • Why Things Bite Back: Technology and the Revenge of Unintended Consequences
  • Introduction to Machine Learning
  • Venture Deals
  • Linked: How Everything Is Connected to Everything Else and What It Means for Business, Science, and Everyday Life
  • A Universe from Nothing: Why There Is Something Rather Than Nothing
  • Analyzing Neural Time Series Data: Theory and Practice
  • The Functional Art: An Introduction to Information Graphics and Visualization
  • A Dangerous Fortune
  • Fundamentals of Corporate Finance
  • The Hunting of the Snark
  • Theft of Swords (The Riyria Revelations, #1-2)
  • You Were Never Really Here
Steve Aylett (b. 1967) is a satirical science fiction and slipstream author of several bizarro books. He is renowned for his colorful satire attacking the manipulations of authority, and for having reams of amusing epigrams and non-sequiturs only tangentially related to what little plot the books possess.

Aylett left school at age 17 and worked in a book warehouse, and later in law publishing.

Beerlight (4 books)
  • The Crime Studio
  • Atom
  • Novahead
“How many times does a man have to shave before his chin gets the message?
11 likes
“Let us forget the past - this is the only way to be genuinely surprised.” 8 likes