Start by marking “Absolution” as Want to Read:
Absolution

Absolution

Jeanie thinks she was to blame for the sexual assault she suffered in college—and she’d do anything to keep her old-school Catholic family from finding out about the resulting pregnancy, as well as what she did to conceal it.

Years have passed since the assault, and Jeanie’s husband, Greg, still thinks she’s the seemingly innocent girl he married in a rush to spite his cont
Published October 13th 2020 by SparkPress

To ask other readers questions about Absolution, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Absolution

Start your review of Absolution
Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader
Oct 16, 2020 rated it really liked it
Jeanie is sexually assaulted in college, and she becomes pregnant as a result. She decides she has to hide all of it from her family because they will never understand.

Many years later, Jeanie is married to Greg. He’s getting lost in his work, while Jeanie is still struggling with her own shame. Greg finds out that Jeanie was pregnant in the past, which results in Greg being shocked and even violent. He is determined that Jeanie will not leave him, or the perfect image they have together as a ma
Karen’s Library
Oct 21, 2020 rated it really liked it
I rarely read books from the women’s fiction genre, but maybe I should read from this genre more often. I flew through this book and picked it up during work breaks just to get in a few more pages because I couldn’t stay away. I stayed up later than normal just to finish this one.

The story starts off following the protagonist’s life from her days in college where she’s sexually assaulted, and through the happy early years of her marriage. Husband Greg is a successful businessman who travels cons
Mary Jackson _TheMaryReader
Oct 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2020
What a heartbreaking read. It was very well written for a debut book. The author really poured her heart out onto the pages. It was gripping and held my attention until the very end.
This book can be read in one sitting. It's that good.
I gave this book 4 stars and I cant wait to see what this author has in store for her next book for this avid reader.
The Mary Reader received this book from the publisher for review. A favorable review was not required and all views expressed are our own.
Nursebookie
Oct 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A gripping novel from a debut author and a fellow nurse!

This story follows Jeanie, a devout Catholic, a mother, and wife to Greg, a successful dotcom entrepreneur from Seattle. Jeanie’s deeply buried past resurfaces, and the marriage is shattered. What comes next is an intensifying read that involves dysfunction, violence, and threats. Jeanie’s strength will be tested in this fast paced immersive read.

A great debut that addressed themes of power, religion and marriage, and what happens when se
Randi (randi_reads)
Nov 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
This debut book takes the reader on quite the emotional and heartbreaking journey.

This story is about Jeanie and her marriage to Greg. Jeanie is a devout Catholic who was sexually assaulted in college. Feeling extreme guilt and shame over it, she moves to a new town and quickly meets Greg. Greg has issues of his own--including a controlling mother. After less than two months of dating, they get engaged.

What ensues is Jeanie trying to survive her marriage and once her past is discovered by her h
Mom_Loves_Reading
Nov 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I am a big fan of debut novels, & when they're especially well-written ones w/ a strong plot & story that you think about off & on long after reading it, then I can't wait to tell all you about it as well.

"I was weak & deceitful, & I could never, ever let my husband find out the truth about me. I would keep my secrets hidden from him for the rest of my life..." (from the book)

'Absolution' is an incredibly gripping debut novel that you can easily get swept up in & devour in mere hours. Exploring
Savitri
Oct 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Thank you to the author & GetRedPR for an advance copy in exchange for a honest review!

How can anyone not give 5 stars to this story? This is a journey of Jeanie from the heartbreaking moment she is raped by her college professor. Jeanie comes from a strictly Catholic family and town. Unable to cope with the guilt and shame of her assault and nobody to turn to except her best friend, Jeanie moves away to Atlanta and starts a new life.

Jeanie meets Greg who comes from an upper class Protestant fam
Leslie - Shobizreads
Oct 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
Thank you to @suzyapprovedbooktours and @reginabuttnerbooks for the #gifted copy!⁣

I read this book last week while on vacation and loved it. This debut is beautifully written, if not heart-breaking at times.⁣

In Absolution, we catch a glimpse of what sexual assault often looks like and how it can so easily derail someone's life. We see the shame it invites. Jeanie experiences assault during her final months at college. We are invited to see first-hand how her subsequent marriage plays out when
Linda Zagon
Oct 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing

Regina Buttner, the author of “Absolution” has written a memorable, heartbreaking, and thought-provoking novel. The genres for this novel are fiction, domestic fiction, and women’s fiction. The author describes her characters as complex, complicated, and dysfunctional. I appreciate that the author discusses controversial and contemporary subjects such as sexual assault, religious differences, the power of secrets, and emotional and physical abuse in a relationship.

Jeanie comes from a devout Cath
AAnne
Jul 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I received an advance reading copy of this novel and I highly recommend it to fans of domestic drama. Jeanie and Greg’s dysfunctional marriage was founded on mutual deceit and hidden agendas that eventually collide in threats of marital blackmail and violence that will have you glued to the pages to find out what happens next. Jeanie hangs in there until she can’t take anymore and then—Look out, Greg! The story’s conclusion is very satisfying and I was cheering for Jeanie and her newfound woman’ ...more
Lovemybooks2020 Cindy Ward
I’m pleased to partner with @suzyapprovedbooktours and @getredpr to feature 𝘼𝙗𝙨𝙤𝙡𝙪𝙩𝙞𝙤𝙣 by @reginabuttnerbooks today.

This gripping debut draws back the curtain on a seemingly perfect marriage, revealing dark secrets and hidden motivations that eventually unravel with devastating consequences. Through one woman’s struggle to regain her power, this book teaches us survival, resolution, and hope.⁣

𝗦𝘂𝗺𝗺𝗮𝗿𝘆:⁣

Jeanie thinks she was to blame for the sexual assault she suffered in college―and she’d do a
Melayna Dong
Sep 25, 2020 rated it really liked it
Thanks so much for the advanced copy! I enjoyed this book. It was a quick, easy read and I think a lot of women can relate to being in Jeanie's situation.
Melissa
Oct 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
A marriage unraveling is often a slow, painful process. Regina Buttner’s debut puts you right in the center of a marriage on shaky ground, a woman struggling to stand up for herself against a man on a power trip.

I’ll be honest, this one wasn’t at all what I expected, but after sitting with it for a bit I began to really appreciate just how much this short book offered up. It was a very honest, well-written book that touched on a lot of important topics, including consent, abortion, abuse, class,
mrsboomreads
Oct 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
What a powerful, emotional, and redemptive debut by Regina Buttner! While I do typically enjoy dramas, they haven't held my attention as much this year. I was pleasantly surprised by Absolution and would liken it to a deep conversation with a close friend. Jeanie was a strong, relatable character who was easy to root for. I thoroughly enjoyed this story!

CW (also in synopsis): sexual assault, domestic abuse
Lauren Mckay
Sep 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: giveaways
I received an advance copy of this book. It was hard to put down. It felt like I was following the life a friend recounting martial struggles, the complicated relationships with family/friends and the support and love they provide.
Ashly
Sep 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I read an advanced copy of this book. Loved it. It had many similarities to my own life. Lived how it ended.
Barbara S
Jul 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read an advance copy of Absolution and I thoroughly enjoyed the story of Jeanie’s struggle to break free from her marriage to a scheming narcissist. I grew up in a large old-fashioned family similar to hers so I could totally relate to her dilemma-should she continue being the dutiful wife and mother she was raised to to be (and sacrifice her own sanity) or call it quits and strike out on her own, despite Greg’s threat to expose the secret in her past? The book moved along quickly and overall ...more
Ashley *Booksbrewsandbarks*
Nov 16, 2020 rated it really liked it
3.5 rounding up to 4. As someone who does not always love character driven stories, Absolution stood out for me as being relatable and an extremely well written story. The main character is written in a way that the reader becomes invested in not only her outcome but also her growth throughout the story.

This is not a book that has a lot of excitement happening. Some may find it TOO relatable, not becoming an escape from reality, but I thought it was beautiful in the sense that as a woman in her
Nik's Nook
Sep 24, 2020 rated it really liked it
In her last semester of college, Jeanie gets sick. Once better, she visits her professor to ask for an extension on the final project. What she receives instead is a sexual assault that results in a pregnancy. Soon after, she marries and devotes herself to being the best wife she can be in an effort to atone for what she thinks of as her sins. Years later, the assault still haunts her, but what haunts her more is her guilt over not telling her husband Greg. Just what will he do if he ever finds ...more
Samantha “Sam” A
Absolution is something we strive for after we’ve done wrong. A way to make up for our mistakes or sins.

In this debut book from Regina Buttner, we meet Jeanie who’s searching for that very thing, when she meets her future husband, Greg. That’s where the story becomes difficult and hard to read. You see, Greg is an emotional abuser, a narcissist who only cares about himself.

I enjoyed the read, I truly felt for Jeanie and all she endured. I wanted a little more at the ending though, more of a fina
Shannon (The Book Club Mom)
Nov 16, 2020 rated it really liked it
In Regina Buttner’s debut, Absolution, the reader becomes a fly on Jeanie and Greg’s wall. We receive an intimate look at the ins and outs of a dysfunctional marriage. I was captivated by this intense and emotional story. My heart broke for Jeanie as she struggled with dark secrets from her past, the loneliness of new motherhood, and a narcissistic husband. Her life was crumbling, and she was desperately grasping at straws to repair it. The author’s writing style grabbed my attention immediately ...more
Laurie Panto
Aug 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
I read an advanced copy of Absolution. I recommend this book. Its an easy quick enjoyable read that I found relief in these busy times. The story rang true to a life in marriage and its ups and downs. The main character captivated my attention and i genuinely cared for her outcome and wished her well. The story ended short but thats okay because you are left creating your own version of what could happen to the characters.
Morgan (prettylittlebookshelf)
Oct 28, 2020 rated it really liked it
Absolution by Regina Buttner is an intriguing, debut domestic drama that follows Jeanie as she navigates life from a college student to a loving wife and mother. Jeanie is determined to conceal her past sexual assault by a professor and the resulting pregnancy. As a child of a staunch Catholic family, Jeanie feared she would never be accepted by her family and blamed herself for what happened. Now as a married woman, her secret could never be known.

Absolution discusses important topics such as r
noorthebookworm
"ABSOLUTION, Regina Buttner's CAPTIVATING Debut, draws back the curtain of a seemingly perfect marriage to reveal the dark and complex dynamic between a manipulative narcissist and a woman desperate to make amends for her past.
THE STORY REVEALS THAT WHEN WE SEEK FORGIVENESS, WE MUST ALSO ACCEPT IT FOR OURSELVES."
_____________
✨Happy PUB Day! ✨

✨debutnovel

📌ABSOLUTION means
(especially in the Christian Church) A FORMAL STATEMENT THAT A PERSON IS FORGIVEN FOR WHAT HE OR SHE HAS DONE WRONG.

✨Its a PO
Jill (chill_jilland_read)
Sep 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
Thank you Get Red PR for a copy of this novel in exchange for my honest review.

Absolution is a powerhouse debut from Regina Buttner. She will now be an author on my radar after this gripping novel.

Absolution follows a wife and mother named Jeanie. Jeanie is struggling with her past while trying to hide her past pregnancy from her husband who believed she was an innocent, Catholic girl...which she was before a sexual assault from one of her professors in college. Many years have passed since tha
bookishwithwine
Oct 09, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jeanie is from a strong catholic family and always does her best to make them proud.  When she ends up pregnant after an assault, she knows the truth will destroy her parents.  She will do whatever it takes for them not to find out.

Everyday Jeanie feels haunted by the assault, and then she meets and marries Greg in a matter of months.  She thinks he is the answer to all of her problems, but soon finds out that he is the worst of her problems.  A few years into their marriage Jeanie is basically
Zoe L.
Oct 08, 2020 added it
Look at this little book baby. Read that synopsis. Then pre-order this one so you can devour this story (and you only have less than a week to wait!). But yeah, this was a deep book and yet I couldn’t put it down. There were so many layers to the story and I couldn’t help but sympathize with Jeanie.

Greg is the type of person/character that just makes you want to slap them. So you’ll find yourself rooting for Jeanie and celebrating when she becomes empowered by herself. And anyone who has dealt w
Rowan Humphries
Oct 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
From start to finish, Absolution was one of the most gripping and bold novels I've read in some time. I seriously read it all in one sitting! The book touches on some pretty powerful themes and topics; marriage, family, religion and sexual assault. The subject matter Absolution digs into feels very timely and really makes you think. Would make a great read for a book club! The author does a truly masterful job of building characters with real depth -- I felt so much empathy for Jeanie and was co ...more
Susan • BryantParkBooks

Absolution is a family drama about a very Catholic woman, Jeanie, who suffers a sexual assault in her college years. She goes to great lengths to hide this from her very religious family. Fast forward to her marriage to a successful businessman in the peak of the dot-com boom. He isn’t aware of what happened to her and the guilt she still holds. She definitely never told him that she married him hoping that devoting herself to marriage and motherhood would would absolve her from the sins of her
 Bookoholiccafe
Oct 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
Jeanie was sexually assaulted in her last months of college. Jeanie loses the baby but she keeps the assault and the pregnancy a secret.
She feels Guilty for all that happened, she leaves her town and later meets Greg. Greg is a workaholic and a successful entrepreneur who is not aware of Jeanie's past. They have their children and Jeanie is raising while Greg is always working. Jennie does all she can to be a good wife and pretends that she has a happy life.

Eventually, Greg finds out about the

• Why I Held Your Hand
  • A Frenzy of Sparks: A Novel
  • Smoke Screen
  • Judge's Girls
  • The Moon is Missing
  • The Last Widow (Will Trent, #9)
  • All That Was
Regina is a registered nurse-turned-writer from beautiful upstate New York where she enjoys hiking in the Adirondack Mountains, paddling on the Genesee River, and exploring the Finger Lakes wine country. ABSOLUTION is her first novel.