Start by marking “Shamanspace” as Want to Read:
Shamanspace

Shamanspace

God has been found to exist and the race is on to take revenge...

Opposing groups of occult assassins compete to exterminate the creator, with young gun Alix the favourite. As multidimensional war is waged, Alix travels through sidespace to confront the source of evil at the risk of destroying the universe.

Shamanspace is an alchemical conspiracy adventure from Steve

Published March 1st 2002 by Codex

To ask other readers questions about Shamanspace, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shamanspace

Start your review of Shamanspace
Bradley
Dec 30, 2007 rated it it was amazing
I recently reread this book and loved it. I didn't like it the first time. But I felt like I was missing something and gave it another shot. I'm glad I did.

It seems like I have to be in a particular mood to enjoy an Aylett book, and this one more than the others. It's drastically different from his other work: no jokes on every page, no over the top wackiness. This is a serious book and it reads like a modernized version of an epic poem. I would really like to read another book of this kind from
Dee
May 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book is one of several possible epitomes of alt-SF. The writing is ridiculously dense and poetic.

Also, this isn't a challenge most people are up to or would be interested in meeting. Good read doesn't mean easy read.

Science fiction/theological fiction/prose-poetry.

If you have the attention span and determination to stick with it, this book is very rewarding, funny, good read. However, I had to re-learn how to read a book, or better said I had to learn how to read Aylett's writing.
Ramón Nogueras Pérez
Jul 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
Si Grant Morrison dice que tu libro es bueno, eso es que como mínimo va a ser raro. Y este lo es. También es el excelente ejemplo de una ciencia ficción diferente y alternativa que querría ver más a menudo.

Alyx va a matar a Dios por todo lo que ha hecho. Hay gente en contra, porque creen que eso acabaría el universo. Otros están a favor. Y de eso trata todo. ¿Puede uno asesinarse a sí mismo?
Steve 'Rat'
Jan 03, 2018 rated it liked it
Good flow, lots of phonetic beauty, not much story.
Aphrael
Apr 19, 2018 rated it it was ok
short. story and world are interesting. writing is so poetic that it's nearly unintelligible. I'm not sure if that made it good or just pretentious.
Rick
Oct 22, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Trying to describe Steve Aylett’s wacky prose and wild adventures are like describing the wind on your face. And the imaginative Shamanspace is no different. God has been proven to exist and opposing groups of occult assassins compete to exterminate the supreme being. And it all gets weird from there. Complete with Aylett’s own illustrations and dynamic prose, Shamanspace is a fine novel from one of the freshest voices in fantastic fiction.
Steve Lew
Jan 09, 2008 rated it liked it
Disappointing after Slaughtermatic, where the latter is funny and fresh this one is self-consciously stylish, and the philosophical undertones are undercooked. Still, his voice is unique and unusual and his wordplay is expert.
Brian
Sep 22, 2012 rated it it was ok
The man certainly knows how to turn a phrase and the ideas are a mile a minute.
 ZeN
Jun 03, 2014 rated it liked it
After a second read Shamanspace remains simply just ok. Aylett is an incredible wordsmith, his eventual plot points and story arcs, are not always as brilliant.
Nick
Nov 02, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone, especially the religious because I'm terrible like that.
Shelves: sci-fi
God has been proven to exist. the only answer. Kill him. Fantastic book. One of the best. Truly original.
Colette
Jan 16, 2008 rated it really liked it
This book is out of print now and that makes it special.
Pete Windle

• Eve's Diary
  • The Hitch-Hiker
  • In the Year 2889
  • Hallucination
  • The Interlopers (Tale Blazers)
  • Jeeves and the Yuletide Spirit (Very Good, Jeeves Vol 1)
  • The Wonderful Story of Henry Sugar
  • And I Awoke and Found Me Here on the Cold Hill's Side
  • Mirrorshades: The Cyberpunk Anthology
  • Kybalion: A Study of the Hermetic Philosophy of Ancient Egypt and Greece
  • Three Questions
Steve Aylett (b. 1967) is a satirical science fiction and slipstream author of several bizarro books. He is renowned for his colorful satire attacking the manipulations of authority, and for having reams of amusing epigrams and non-sequiturs only tangentially related to what little plot the books possess.

Aylett left school at age 17 and worked in a book warehouse, and later in law publishing.

“I knew books could see people around them, they ground their tiny teeth, tried to rattle like windows, stories to tell.” 4 likes
“A society will manufacture an image of progress and locate it in the direction it wishes to take us.” 3 likes