Start by marking “Good Company” as Want to Read:

Good Company

A warm, incisive new novel about the enduring bonds of marriage and friendship from Cynthia D’Aprix Sweeney, author of the instant New York Times bestseller The Nest

Flora Mancini has been happily married for more than twenty years. But everything she thought she knew about herself, her marriage, and her relationship with her best friend, Margot, is upended when she stumble
Published April 6th 2021 by Ecco

Win a Copy of This Book

Release date: Apr 06, 2021
    Enter for a chance to win one of 100 galley copies of GOOD COMPANY by Cynthia D'Aprix Sweeney!

Flora Mancini has been happily married for more than twe

Format: Print book

Giveaway ends in: a

Availability: 100 copies available, 6763 people requesting

Giveaway dates: Mar 26 - Apr 23, 2021

Countries available: U.S.

• Friend Reviews

To ask other readers questions about Good Company, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Good Company

Start your review of Good Company
    Nilufer Ozmekik
    Dec 21, 2020 rated it liked it
    Okay, this one is a little disappointing when you compare it with the author’s brilliant work : “the nest” !

Her talented writing style and unique story telling skills still drag you into this story but extra embellished, long back stories of the characters and their unlikable attributes give you hesitation to connect with them.

Reading stories about theater companies and Hollywood always attract my attention. But this story is more about resentments, what ifs , marriage problems, adultery, sec
    Regina
    Jan 12, 2021 rated it liked it
    Update: Good Company was just announced as the Read with Jenna celebrity book club selection for April. Not to toot my own horn, but... toot toot! Was my crystal ball working here or what?

*******************

Did you see that 2019 movie “Marriage Story” with Scarlett Johansson and Adam Driver? Did you enjoy it? If you answered yes to both of those questions, then you might like Cynthia D'Aprix Sweeney’s follow up to her blockbuster debut, The Nest.

These are the types of reviews I enjoy writing th
    James
    Mar 03, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Good Company is the latest book written by Cynthia D'Aprix Sweeney. I read The Nest several years ago and enjoyed the author's character development and writing style. When I saw this was available for an early read, I wanted to get a copy, so I did... finished it this week and am glad it worked out. Overall, I prefer The Nest to this one, but it's still a well-written book I'd recommend.

Flora and Julian have been married for almost twenty years, just as long as they've been best friends with Da
    Elyse  Walters
    Cynthia D’Apix Sweeney, author of the wonderful novel, ‘The Nest’, unleashes a collision of universal forces: love, sex, marriage, parenting, friendships, ambition, jealousy, desire, infidelity, careers, social chronicles of turbulence, economic rivals and seductive pursuits, in “Good Company”.

It’s a story about grownups and growing up...from New York to California.
    Page turning - women’s fiction - the story deals tenderly and honestly about adult life - shifting dynamics and tensions between tw
    Liz
    Feb 12, 2021 rated it liked it
    Shelves: netgalley, audio
    One of my GR friends made an astute comment earlier this week. She opined that the proof of a great author is not their first book, but their second or third. So, Good Company was my chance to put that idea to the test. I loved The Nest, Sweeney’s debut book.
    The story here covers the Fletcher family - the parents, Flora and Julian, both actors, and their daughter, Ruby, along with their close friends Margot and David. The story wanders all over the place. Flashbacks to when the adults were youn
    Kelly
    Jan 20, 2021 rated it it was ok
    Shelves: 2021-arcs
    Cheating, Cheating, Cheating...

I am so very tired of reading about it in books. I don't often read early reviews because I love to go into books blind without reading the synopsis because it's one of those things that makes me happy (most of the time). I also like to figure out my own opinion before looking for others'. Unfortunately, it ends up with me having to read books that aren't my taste, like this one which was given to me in exchange of an honest review.

Good Company follows Flora (but
    elisa
    Dec 02, 2020 rated it liked it
    Shelves: arc, 3-stars
    ARC provided by publisher in exchange for an honest review

good company by cynthia d'aprix sweeney takes a lazy, maze-like amble through two marriages—flora and julian's, and margot and david's—spanning the easy beginnings, passions as they fizzle out into ambivalence, and questions of whether something ruined can be rekindled anew. the discovery of a wedding ring thought to be lost sends flora and all the relationships around her into tumult and so begins a journey through time—though this journ
    Bookworm
    Feb 02, 2021 rated it liked it

I’ve always been drawn to books that crack open and delve into intimate relationships like a marriage or parent/child bond. This story is a powerful exploration of a woman’s relationship with her husband and best friend. What starts out as new, exiting and somewhat volatile, Flora’s relationship with Julian becomes easy, comfortable and a backbone in her existence. After getting married and having their daughter Ruby, Flora and Julian fall into a familiar existence with Julian running
    Brandice
    Apr 01, 2021 rated it really liked it
    Julian and Flora live in Los Angeles and are celebrating their daughter Ruby’s high school graduation before she leaves for college in NY. While searching for a photo to include in a gift for Ruby, Flora finds Julian’s original wedding ring, which he lost years ago, making her question everything.

Good Company explores the relationship between a husband and wife, a woman and her best friend, Margot, and parents with their daughter. It’s not a fast-paced novel but character driven, and jumps arou
    Elaine
    Thank you to NetGalley for an ARC of Good Company.

I wasn't a fan of the author's first book but was interested to see if she would prove me wrong.

Overall, the writing was good, but I wasn't interested in the story or the characters.

This wasn't a domestic drama so much as character studies of the most important people in our lives and what makes a family; our spouse and children, our BFFs and the people that make up our social circle.

It's also about a woman named Flora who discovers the mos
    Robin
    Fabulous story of family and friends dynamics with not a whole lot of dysfunction, which was refreshing. More thorough review to come.

Thanks to HarperCollins for the advance reading copy.
    Christi Flaker
    Feb 01, 2021 rated it liked it
    Flora, a voice actress has been happily married to her stage actor/play producer husband Julian for 20 years. They have a daughter, Ruby, about to graduate high school and they are finally in a comfortable spot in life. Until their happiness is thrown into a tailspin when Flora finds Julian's original wedding ring that he "lost swimming in a pond" when Ruby was 5. The appearance of the ring also upends Flora's relationship with her best friend, TV star, Margot.

Good Company is the story of friend
    Leighellen Landskov
    I stayed up WAAAAYY too late finishing up this heartfelt family drama about marriage and friendship from the author of The Nest. This book captures the tensions and unease of the mid-life “what ifs” that abound when a life is suddenly turned upside down after a revelation. Told through flashbacks, we come to see how this couple came to be and wonder what could be next.

“Forgiveness is a choice. It doesn’t arrive on fairy wings; it doesn’t descend from the sky for you to take or leave. Forgivenes
    Tina
    Feb 20, 2021 rated it liked it
    GOOD COMPANY by Cynthia D’Aprix Sweeney is an absorbing novel about Flora and her relationships with her husband, daughter and best friend. This book was definitely engaging as I read it quite quickly in two days but in the end I guess I was expecting more either from the plot or more profound change from the characters. It was all very one note and none of the dramatic parts were very high or low. I would still be interested to continue reading books by this author as I enjoyed The Nest.
    Thank
    Ally Bryan
    Jan 08, 2021 rated it really liked it
    Shelves: january-2021
    Thank you to Netgalley and Harper Audio for the ALC.

Story: 🌟🌟🌟🌟
    Narration: 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟
    Overall: 🌟🌟🌟🌟

Story:
    This is my first book by Cynthia D’Aprix Sweeney, but I’ve seen the love that other readers have for her novel, The Nest. I was excited to read a book by her that is not in my typical genres. Good Company is about two marriages - Flora and Julian’s and Margot and David’s. Flora’s life is forever changed when she finds her husband’s wedding ring that he claims he lost one summer many years ago.

I
    Natalie
    Nov 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
    This is a lovely well-written novel about a couple whose marriage takes a shocking turn after a discovery of a long held secret. I enjoyed reading this, but it is predictable and somewhat disappointing. I considered D’Aprix Sweeney’s earlier novel, THE NEST, one of the great books of the decade, so I was excited about reading this. I can still remember scenes from that book years later, but nothing here is especially memorable.

Even with my feelings of being let down, this is still a fine novel.
    Ilyssa Wesche
    Dec 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
    I read this and Malibu Rising, the new Taylor Jenkins Reid in the same weekend - back-to-back days over Thanksgiving. They complemented each other nicely, and came at a time when I really needed some good fiction to read (don't we all?) So that plays into the 4 stars for both.

Just like The Nest, I found the characters so perfectly self-centered and flawed. I liked them all but also was annoyed by them. Here and in Malibu Rising, no one had regular 9-5 jobs - they were all actors and doctors. Th
    Mara
    Feb 08, 2021 rated it really liked it
    Good Company by Cynthia D'Aprix Sweeney recounts the relationships/lives of two married couples who have remained close friends through adulthood from their 20s to their 40s. Flora & Julian: voice actor/mother and actor/director. Margot & David: TV star and former pediatric surgeon. They all met and married in NYC around the same time and moved to LA about 10 years later for different reasons. Early on, they formed a small theater company. Since then, they have all lived different lives.

The cha
    Marika
    Feb 01, 2021 rated it it was amazing
    Shelves: fiction
    Cynthia D'Aprix Sweeney, author of The Nest, has written a novel that once again proves that she is a superb writer. Sweeney writes about marriage, friendship and motherhood in the book Good Company in way that will resonate with readers. Flora finds her husband's lost wedding ring hidden in an envelope, a ring he said he lost years ago. Flora's best friend Margot's husband has suffered a devastating stroke that derails his career as a surgeon. Flora and Margot both have to come to terms to how ...more
    Judith von Kirchbach
    Feb 11, 2021 rated it really liked it
    Cynthia D’Aprix Sweeney’s The Nest was one of the best novels I read in 2016, so I’d been looking forward to reading the author’s follow-up ever since. I jumped at the chance of listening to the audio for her new release “Good Company” before publication, and I’m very pleased to report that it lived up to my high expectations. A novel about family, friendship, secrets, and life in general. I really enjoyed listening.

The novel follows three friends: Flora and Julian, who are married, and also the
    Dallas Strawn
    Jan 22, 2021 rated it it was ok
    “Good Company” was my first read by Cynthia D’Aprix Sweeney and I think I just don’t like her writing style. This book was kind of painful. I really genuinely liked the storyline of Margot and her struggles with her life in Hollywood and the secrets of her past she was trying to keep; but the storyline of Flora and her cheating husband just felt so trite and overdone.

The structure of the book truly did not work for me; it was all over the place, the timeline just floated between past and presen
    Katrin
    Feb 01, 2021 rated it it was amazing
    Phenomenal book. I was impressed by the gripping nature of the story. Told in multiple points of view, the way the story unfolded was exceptional. I cared about each of the characters. I couldn't wait to find out what had happened, and yet I was invested in every scene--it's essentially a book told in flashbacks, woven together and it really works to create a layered, deep look at complex issues. ...more
    Jude (NYJudester) Fricano
    Feb 07, 2021 rated it really liked it
    In the spirit of Sue Miller's Monogamy and Cara Wall's Dearly Beloved, Good Company is a heartfelt examination of marriage, friendship, loyalty, love and child-rearing. Two couples, vastly different and connected by events and proximity, who are flawed and broken taken to the brink and back of the love they knew as steadfast. Flora and Julian, Margot and David - from New York City theatre district to the expanse of a 'better life' in Los Angeles, they each travel their own path of heartache, lon ...more
    Claudia Silk
    Feb 01, 2021 rated it really liked it
    From the author of The Nest a drama about marriage, family and friendship.
    Chris Markley
    Jan 16, 2021 rated it really liked it
    A story of life, and love, and friendship and how it is not always what it seems. Flora, Margot, Julian, and David have been friends for decades but as Ruby, Flora and Julian's daughter, graduates from high school an old secret is revealed. Will the relationships survive?

Thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for providing an ARC for my honest review.
    Stefan Fergus
    Jan 05, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    4.5*, I think. Very good writing, characters. Lost a bit of steam near the end, there, but enjoyed it.

Full review here: https://civilianreader.com/2021/01/06...
    This Feral Housewife
    Nov 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
    Loved this book! Such a sweet and bitter mix of life, love and friendship. It will take you into the world of people you could see as your friends or your family.
    Ron Charles
    Apr 06, 2021 rated it really liked it
    Shelves: novels-about-art
    After more than a year of social distancing, who isn’t craving some good company?

If that’s still a few months away for you, Cynthia D’Aprix Sweeney has the next best thing: Her new novel, “Good Company,” is a story about the profound joy (and heartache) of family and friends. It’s an affecting reminder that no matter how comfortable and settled things feel, life is always about change — changing places, changing careers and even changing loyalties.

Sweeney’s comic debut, "The Nest,” was a breakou
    Donna Hines
    Mar 14, 2021 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: arc, netgalley
    "The only person you can trust is yourself."
    Have you ever wondered about a spouse who doesn't participate in the marriage, seems a wee-bit self indulged, seems to have lost his/her wedding ring which was later uncovered neatly tucked away?
    Yes, I did wonder the same in my own marriage and I too uncovered the rapidly dissolving disregard of the love I thought we shared and Flora sadly has come to uncover the 'ring' is a much deeper wound to carry.
    We all carry the weight of the load on our shoulder
    Lindsay Gloade-Raining Bird
    After celebrating a decade together and five years of marriage with my husband this past year, I’ve grown more and more interested in stories of marriage, what makes a good one, the struggles couples face and what can ultimately bring them down. Where I used to be drawn more to coming-of-age narratives now I find myself looking for a reflection of my own life in stories of motherhood and building a life with someone, come hell or high water.

Good Company by Cynthia D’Aprix Sweeney (author of the

• Lost in Paris
    • Golden Girl
    • Red Island House
    • What Comes After
    Cynthia D’Aprix Sweeney is the New York Times bestselling author of The Nest, which has been translated into more than 25 languages and optioned for film by Amazon Studios with Sweeney writing the adaptation. She has an MFA from the Bennington Writing Seminars and lives in Los Angeles with her husband and children.