Start by marking “Later” as Want to Read:
Later

Later

4.05  ·  Rating details ·  52,395 ratings  ·  6,750 reviews
The son of a struggling single mother, Jamie Conklin just wants an ordinary childhood. But Jamie is no ordinary child. Born with an unnatural ability his mom urges him to keep secret, Jamie can see what no one else can see and learn what no one else can learn. But the cost of using this ability is higher than Jamie can imagine - as he discovers when an NYPD detective draws ...more
Published March 2nd 2021 by Hard Case Crime

To ask other readers questions about Later, please sign up.
Justin Klinger The book has adult themes, but considering my library had books like It and The Stand in it, I wouldn't say it was as "adult" as either of those. But,…moreThe book has adult themes, but considering my library had books like It and The Stand in it, I wouldn't say it was as "adult" as either of those. But, I was raised in the 1980s and the 1990s, and we didn't worry quite so much about Dr. Seuss and the gender of a plastic potato.

If your library has room for "Flowers in the Attic" or the Bible, it has room for "Later." (less)
This question contains spoilers... (view spoiler)
Fee I thought the same thing. It came out of nowhere, it was mentioned almost as a side note and that was that. I was disappointed by it. It spoiled the e…moreI thought the same thing. It came out of nowhere, it was mentioned almost as a side note and that was that. I was disappointed by it. It spoiled the ending. (less)

·  52,395 ratings  ·  6,750 reviews

Start your review of Later
megs_bookrack
Stephen King's writing is like coming home for me. There's no doubt it's my comfort zone. This story is no exception.

Later is a coming-of-age tale with a supernatural twist, following a boy, Jamie, and his struggling single-mother, Tia.

Jamie first discovered his ability when he was really young. He can see things others can't and sometimes it's really scary.

But it is an unchangeable part of himself and he learns the rules of it, as well as how best to live with it.

His mother knows what he can d
Jenny Lawson
Dec 29, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My granny got me hooked on Stephen King when I was young. I wish she was still here for this one. Couldn't put it down. ...more
Nilufer Ozmekik
Mar 11, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My nearly 20 years long waiting is over! Finally some fascinating King book is written in his old style released and made my quirky, loyal fan brain cells dance! As like they say: better late than never ( for this book: better “Later” than his last published books )

Our MC Jamie Conklin is only thirteen years old kid, who is soooo lovely, smart, perceptive, a great son, mature for his own age and has great sense of humor ( he might have inherited King’s dark sense of humor and that’s totally fi
Farrah (on a short hiatus!)
Yes! To ALL of this book!

I'm a life-long SK fan and if he writes it, I will happily read it. There's been a few tiny bumps along the way but not with this book. 𝘓𝘢𝘵𝘦𝘳 is total yummy Kingness!

"𝙄𝙩 𝙢𝙪𝙨𝙩 𝙗𝙚 𝙨𝙤 𝙨𝙩𝙧𝙖𝙣𝙜𝙚, 𝙬𝙝𝙖𝙩 𝙮𝙤𝙪 𝙘𝙖𝙣 𝙙𝙤. 𝙎𝙤 𝙬𝙚𝙞𝙧𝙙. 𝘿𝙤𝙚𝙨𝙣'𝙩 𝙞𝙩 𝙛𝙧𝙚𝙖𝙠 𝙮𝙤𝙪 𝙤𝙪𝙩?"
𝙄 𝙩𝙝𝙤𝙪𝙜𝙝𝙩 𝙖𝙗𝙤𝙪𝙩 𝙖𝙨𝙠𝙞𝙣𝙜 𝙝𝙚𝙧 𝙞𝙛 𝙞𝙩 𝙛𝙧𝙚𝙖𝙠𝙚𝙙 𝙝𝙚𝙧 𝙤𝙪𝙩 𝙩𝙤 𝙡𝙤𝙤𝙠 𝙪𝙥 𝙖𝙩 𝙣𝙞𝙜𝙝𝙩 𝙖𝙣𝙙 𝙨𝙚𝙚 𝙩𝙝𝙚 𝙨𝙩𝙖𝙧𝙨 𝙖𝙣𝙙 𝙠𝙣𝙤𝙬 𝙩𝙝𝙚𝙮 𝙜𝙤 𝙤𝙣 𝙛𝙤𝙧𝙚𝙫𝙚𝙧 𝙖𝙣𝙙 𝙚𝙫𝙚𝙧, 𝙗𝙪𝙩 𝙙𝙞𝙙𝙣'𝙩 𝙗𝙤𝙩𝙝𝙚𝙧. 𝙄 𝙟𝙪𝙨𝙩 𝙨𝙖𝙞𝙙 𝙣𝙤. 𝙔𝙤𝙪 𝙜𝙚𝙩 𝙪𝙨𝙚𝙙 𝙩𝙤 𝙢𝙖𝙧𝙫𝙚𝙡𝙤𝙪𝙨 𝙩𝙝𝙞𝙣𝙜𝙨. 𝙔𝙤𝙪 𝙩𝙖𝙠𝙚 𝙩𝙝𝙚𝙢 𝙛𝙤𝙧 𝙜𝙧𝙖𝙣𝙩𝙚𝙙. 𝙔𝙤𝙪 𝙘𝙖𝙣
Justin Tate
Mar 07, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Powerful characters and plentiful scares! Death is always a factor in King novels, but now that he’s writing later in life, it’s become more profound. What it means to live, what it means to die, and what might be waiting in the great beyond was expertly handled in an almost heavenly sense with his feel-good novel Elevation (2018). But if Elevation made you think of Heaven, Later will have you picturing Hell.

The scariest thing is its believability. King’s imagination has predicted the future all
David Putnam
May 11, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved this one, couldn’t put it down. Great premise, great writing craft as always. Anytime there is a premise that sparks my imagination and I can easily see other storylines—endless storylines it’s a book I want to stay with and see what happens. I hope King does follow up with other books similar to this one. Loved it.
In most of my reviews I tout the voice as being the most important, The Fictive Dream, and that I want to be immersed in the story deep enough where my world falls away and I’m
Charlotte May
This was cray 😜 and I loved it!!

Jamie Conklin sees the dead, only for a few days before they disappear and only in places they lived or loved. On the down side they look exactly as they did when they died, or were murdered.

Usually it isn’t a big deal. It just...is. Until someone finds out about Jamie’s unique ability and tries to use it to their advantage.

This is a horror
Baba
Mar 09, 2021 rated it really liked it
Jamie recalls that he was just a toddler the first time his unnatural ability reared its head; in this, his story, he recounts the main situations his ability got him into in is youth. This is another very good piece of suspenseful crime fiction from Mr King who appears to be determined to leave his mark in this genre!

With a plethora of reviews of this book around at the moment, I think I'll just comment on what I specifically liked: In my half a lifetime of reading I don't think I've ever read
Regina
Mar 13, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Let’s talk about Uncle Stevie’s latest, Later, shall we?

Later is the third Stephen King novel published by the Hard Case Crime imprint. In HCC’s early days, the founder reached out to him (via his accountant) with a hope and a prayer that he would provide a supportive blurb for their mission to resuscitate the genre of old school pulp-style crime fiction novels. Months passed, and King’s agent eventually got in touch to say he didn’t want to write a blurb for them… he wanted to write a book. Th
Nataliya
Mar 15, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Overall I liked it. But with reservations.

Uncle Stevie and I go way back. I got that case of Constant Reader, having made my way through most of his impressive catalogue. Our literary love affair was fueled by titans like It, The Shining, 11/22/63, Rita Hayworth and Shawshank Redemption and managed to survive even those clunkers of The Tommyknockers, The Regulators and Insomnia. I saw his books slowly reach the size of industrial doorstoppers, and laughed at sometimes half-baked endings (and so
Sadie Hartmann
Mar 14, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: night-worms, king
If you identify as a Constant Reader, you approach a new King book with a personal reading journey decades in the making. Your first one. Your favorite one. The one that made you fall in love. The one that broke your heart. The book you tell everyone is the worst. The last one you read. The one you’ve read the most. The Top Ten. The Bottom Five.

Sometimes I feel like Constant Readers are the saltiest Stephen King fans there are.

We certainly can be the hardest to please. *Raising my hand*

When we
Peter
Mar 10, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
This was an entertaining story. Certainly not King's masterpiece but one that kept you reading. Jamie Conklin can see the dead, he doesn't know his father, his mum is a literary agent, her friend, she later separates from is a cop, they form a kind of lesbian relationship, there is reference to Dracula and Dickens' Scrooge, we later hear about the ritual of Chüd, it's about drugs and we solve the ultimate secret from Jamie's past. I liked the references to many famous horror flics (Final Destina ...more
Elyse  Walters
Audiobook....
.....read by Seth Numrich
Seth was FANTASTIC....

We meet Jamie Conklin, a literary agent kid.
Smart, sensitive, observant, and....see’s dead people ; but not like the Bruce Willis movie.

Jamie is adorably lovable.
I mean he believed ‘Goldie Locks’ was a real girl as a kid, for goodness sake.
Ha....Jamie was smart enough to know the bears weren’t real.

Jamie’s relationship with his mom, Tia, is totally endearing, too.
And....
I only got ‘scared’ once ....

In some ways this book reminded
Tim
Mar 08, 2021 rated it it was amazing
I've enjoyed reading Stephen King’s books since I was a teenager. Hell, his books are part of the reason I became a life long reader. That's not to say I love all of his books, he's certainly had his misses (Oh Tommyknockers, I'm not sure if I'll ever finish you, but I'll always leave to marked where I left off just in case). I honestly wasn't that interested in this one. I picked it up entirely because I have this compulsion that I buy all of King's new books even if it's just to save them for ...more
Kevin Kuhn
Apr 02, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I’m a long-time Stephen King fan and have read nearly everything he’s written. When I heard the details of this novel, it immediately reminded me of “Joyland.” This is another hard crime novel by King and also published by Titan under the ‘Hard Case Crime’ imprint. Well, I loved “Joyland” and so my expectations went high on this one. For me, if you considered “Joyland” a home run, like I did, “Later” is a triple, which slid in just under the tag (baseball’s opening day was yesterday).

I really e
Gabby

I made a reading vlog dedicated to this book which you can see here: https://youtu.be/JEGEo8b7k1w
Blaine
Mar 28, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2021, from-library
Jamie Conklin, narrator of this novel: “So yeah, I see dead people. As far as I can remember, I always have. But it’s not like in that movie with Bruce Willis.”

Me, reading those lines: “Okay, but it’s pretty much exactly like that movie.”
So seeing dead people is Jamie’s “unnatural ability” that is hinted at in the Goodreads description of this novel. I’m not sure why it’s only hinted at, as the revelation comes in the first few pages, along with the two facts that do, all jokes aside, make the “
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
This was going to be a full 5 Stars for me, but he just had to put a few people/things in the book I hate so much, that I’m just going to give it a four star. (I inked out those parts) 😃 Anyhoo..

The cover is EVERYTHING!! And I loved the story so much! I loved Joyland too. I haven’t read the Colorado Kid (I just watched that show).

I’m actually wanting to read some more authors that write these hard crime books. Oh!! And I wish I could read those books by that one author that was in the book 😂🤣

Th
Johann (jobis89)
Mar 14, 2021 rated it really liked it
4 or 4.5 stars. TBD! But I did really enjoy this. This is the King I LOVE. Full review to come.
Ginger
Apr 30, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library-book, 2021
This new book by Stephen King was just great!
Ranging between a 4 to 4.5 stars!

Later has a bit of everything in a plot that I love about books, and King's books in particular.

✔️ The characters are fleshed out and there’s a mixture of characters to love and hate.
Jamie's Mom was a trip. Who's really the parent?! ha!
I also really liked Professor Burkett. He was a nice addition to this book!

✔️ The plot is intriguing enough that you just keep reading longer than you planned.
His books have that ability
preoccupiedbybooks
A creepy, horrifying, and entertaining coming of age story with a twist..

I enjoyed this short (for King) audio! The narration by Seth Numrich drew me in like I was listening to a story around a campfire! I looked forward to listening, and his voice relaxed me.

I definitely raised my eyebrows a few times because of the plot, which often made the hairs on my arms stand on end. So creepy, a bit scary but not too bad, and totally engaging. Expect plenty of secrets, lies and battles between good and e
Debra
Apr 12, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Get busy living or get busy dying." - Stephen King

Stephen King has done it again!

Jamie Conklin just wants a normal life. He is the son of a struggling single mother trying to pay the bills which includes paying for the care facility his uncle is in. He is a good kid but has a special "gift". He can see and speak to the recently deceased. Is this a gift or a curse? This is Stephen King after all, and it is as he writes "a horror story".

Stephen King can spin a yarn and he does so in this paranor
Zoeytron
Jamie is a young boy with a very special ability, one which his mom encourages him to keep under wraps.  I liked this kid.  The elderly professor who was "old school" was a keeper, too.  The absolute importance of listening comes into play.  The "sell by" date takes on additional significance.

It almost feels disloyal to give a measly three stars to this, but it was a true case of liking it but not loving it.  I wasn't really expecting to be scared, but it would have been nice.  Still and yet,
Liz
Jun 11, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio, library
Later is considered a horror story, which is usually not a genre I read. But, hey, it’s Steven King. And it was short enough to give it a go.
The premise is that Jamie Conklin has the ability to see and talk to dead people. He makes a point of saying “ not like Bruce Willis”. And dead people must tell the truth. It’s not a problem until it is. Because normally the dead aren’t dangerous and also, they disappear after a few days. But a dead serial bomber defies that “rule”.
But the bigger premise
☘Misericordia☘ ⚡ϟ⚡⛈⚡☁ ❇️❤❣
I can only imagine how much fun this kid had, telling his mom about all the threesomes and quadrisomes happening in that postmortem book. Huh?

Q:
You get used to marvelous things. You take them for granted. You can try not to, but you do. There’s too much wonder, that’s all. It’s everywhere. (c)
Q:
Tell you what, the worst part of growing up is how it shuts you up. (c)
Q:
If we have free will, then you have to invite evil in. (c)
Q:
Back when I was a little kid and the world was my oyster.
That seemed so
Paul E. Morph
Mar 04, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
You know, so many people click 'Like' on my reviews when all they say is 'RTC' that I question the point of actually going back and writing anything else but here goes anyway...

Sai King is without a doubt my favourite author and has been since 1986 when I first read my mum's copy of 'Skeleton Crew'. He's pretty much the only author whose books I buy on the day of release and I was salivating madly when this latest offering popped up on my Kindle.

This being said, this isn't one of his best. Don't
Carol
I promised myself that in 2021 I would try to write reviews immediately after reading a book and before starting another, so here it is, sooner than LATER. (this time)

Stephen King's latest offering is a good story. There is a wonderful, touching mother-son relationship, a few talking dead people and yes, a horror of a "dead light thing" that shows its ugly face. But, honestly (for me) not the least bit scary. Interesting characters ✅ a bit of mystery ✅ secrets ✅ suspense ✅ AND, did you know.....

Edgarr Alien Pooh
Mar 20, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: crime-fiction
Later is Stephen King's latest addition to the Hardcase Crime books, other authors in the series include Lawrence Block, Earle Stanley Gardiner, James M Cain, and others. Here is where I mention that I love the cover of this book and how it is deliberately dated. The original painting by Paul Mann.

Although this is obviously a crime series, Later does contain elements of King's horror. Nothing like a homicidal clown, rabid dog, or killer car but there is definitely an element of the supernatural.
Michael || TheNeverendingTBR
He's my favourite author, but I'm certainly not going to be bias here.

I found this one very predictable and repetitive.

When I finished it, I felt like it was incomplete and sloppy.

It's basically a short story padded out into a short novel with thin characters and plot.

(My 56th book I've read of his and this is the 2nd one I've not enjoyed, can't like them all but 2 books out of 56 is good going)

Bring on Billy Summers!!!
Larry H
Mar 13, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 stars, rounded up.

With Later , The Master returns with a nostalgic-feeling book that has glimpses of Stand By Me and IT in its storytelling.

Sometimes growing up means facing your demons. Jamie is a young boy growing up in NYC, the son of a single mother who tries to do her best to give him a good life, even when they're struggling financially.

Jamie has an unnatural ability, one that few others have. Sometimes it traumatizes him, but most times it’s fairly innocuous. There are time
Stephen King 2021...: Getting a jump start on August! 1 3 Jul 29, 2021 03:04PM

• Alfred Hitchcock Presents Grave Business
  • What You Did
  • How the Penguins Saved Veronica
  • Shuggie Bain
  • Cross Her Heart (Bree Taggert, #1)
  • Body In The Woods A Jack Ludefance Novel
  • The Sentinel (Jack Reacher, #25)
  • The Mystery of Mrs. Christie
  • Shit, Actually: The Definitive, 100% Objective Guide to Modern Cinema
  • The Light Between Oceans
  • Lockdown
  • A Place Called Freedom
  • A House at the Bottom of a Lake
  • Welcome to Night Vale (Welcome to Night Vale, #1)
  • Aftermath: On Marriage and Separation
  • In Other Lands
See top shelves…

Articles featuring this book

At Goodreads, we love reading (shocker, I know). There's just nothing like curling up on the couch with a cup of coffee or tea and burying...
“As I said at the beginning, this is a horror story.” 18 likes
“Looking back on it, I sometimes think my life was like a Dickens novel, only with swearing.” 12 likes