Start by marking “Anatopsis” as Want to Read:
Anatopsis

Anatopsis

3.43  ·  Rating details ·  348 Ratings  ·  58 Reviews
Princess Anatopsis Solomon wants to be a knight-errant. But her mother, chairwoman of Amalgamated Witchcraft Corporation, plans for her immortal daughter to take over the family business. The Queen has even hired a new tutor: a demigod named Mr. Pound. But Mr. Pound’s plans go far beyond completing Ana’s education. He is searching for the mysterious and powerful Os Divinit ...more
Published March 2nd 2006 by Dutton Juvenile (first published February 24th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Anatopsis, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Anatopsis

Kat
Jul 14, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone
This quirky and original book is one of my favorites. Anatopsis wants to follow her easy-going father's footsteps, but ehr controlling mother has other plans; she wants her to continue the family bussiness. Her mother hires the best of tutors for Ana, but there's one problem; his one condition is that he must teach Ana and the son of their rival family at the same time. At first Ana can't stand the clumsy magically-challenged boy, but she begins to see that he has many other talents. With a litt ...more
Aelvana
Dec 05, 2014 rated it it was ok
Princess Anatopsis is one of the Immortal, who can wield magic---and what's more, she's the daughter of the most powerful witch in the world. But at her thirteenth birthday, she's given a new tutor, Mr. Pound. Mr. Pound is dark and sinister, but her mother refuses to believe anything is wrong with him. Anatopsis will need to rely on her own power and her friends to uncover what Mr. Pound is, what he wants, and how to stop him.

The story is set on an Earth so polluted by magic and its aftereffects
Ellicia
Dec 18, 2016 rated it liked it
Chris Abouzeid wrote a MAGICAL book where ancient gods and immortals exist. Princess Anatopsis Solomon is a prodigy. She has exceptional abilities including, levitation and teleportation. Ana wants to be a knight-errant, like her father. But, her mother, Queen Solomon, has other ideas and wants Ana to become chairwoman of Amalgamated Witchcraft Corporation. She even hired a new tutor, Mr. Pound, to train Ana into her wishes. He’s a demigod and his plans go far beyond completing Ana’s education. ...more
Angela Oliver
Aug 09, 2013 rated it it was ok
It began promising enough, with shades of Dianna Wynne Jones and a somewhat crazy sci-fi/fantasy setting. Alas, when it took a darker twist, instead of getting better, it deteriorated sharply into social class divisions (mortal/immortal) and other ethic/moral messages that alas fell a bit flat. It fell flat due to character development - which could have been better, jumping erratically between the two protagonists, rushing the final development and drawing to a somewhat downbeat conclusion. The ...more
Melissa
Jan 23, 2009 rated it did not like it
While I don't necessarily believe that novels for kids should be all hope, sweetness, and light, I really hated the cold, cynical, despairing world of Anatopsis. Practically omnipotent characters callously exercising their powers and only coming to a partial understanding of the suffering of others after 200 pages of careless mayhem have no appeal for me. Also, this suffered from shoddy world-building.
Asenath
May 10, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya-lit, fantasy
An interesting fantasy that is comical, but has a good amount of depth as well. The story involves a prince and princess from dueling kingdoms that are taught together and form a shaky friendship. I think it takes place on earth, but a ruined, magical one.
Katherine
Sep 18, 2008 rated it really liked it
Read this out loud, in chapters, at night. Found it to be a great story, if a little darker than I would have initially anticipated. Particularly liked the dog character.
Karen
Aug 03, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Loved it!
Jul 02, 2008 rated it really liked it
it's really good but i found some part's confusing, but if you have the chance totally read it.
Dulcinea
Aug 05, 2011 rated it it was ok
When I read the synopsis of this story, I thought I was in for a light, yet engrossing read, and for the first 75 pages or so I was. Then I realized a number of things. 1) the author kept doing some sort of rambling jig around the plot, jumping back to it every 5 chapters or so, which made reading the story a just a bit aggravating. 2) I felt that the characters didn't mold very well with story and there was very little delving into them at all. And 3) Am I the only one who finds two chapter mo ...more
Lydia
Jul 26, 2012 rated it did not like it
I randomly picked this book off the library shelf a couple of weeks ago when we were rushing to leave but I needed another book. It looked decent, the synopsis/blurb/premise or whatever you call it sounded decent, and it's fantasy, which is always at least decent. So when I read it today, I got what I expected. It was....decent. I'm starting to call these kinds of books, "Mild and Mediocre" or M&M's for short.
Anatopsis by Chris Bouzeid odd mixture of science fiction, fantasy, with mytholog
Jason
May 24, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: new-fiction, kids
Anatopsis is a young readers fantasy novel unlike any you have ever read. It is engaging, intelligent, dazzling and unpredictable. A long reign of magic wielding immortals has left the world tired, fraying at the edges and a very unpleasant place to be a mortal. Solomon Castle and its surroundings is a colorful and exquisitely imagined, even if foreboding, place. The story's protagonist, Anatopsis, is just your typical immortal teenage girl. In her daily routine she must face a threatening teach ...more
Frida Caro
Jul 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
I feel that Anatopsis verges on being a bit too complicated for children to fully understand when they first read it. I feel like I had a lot more to gain by rereading it now as an adult. Though I definitely enjoyed it as a kid and I'm glad I was exposed to those themes back then I'm doubly glad I reread it now and got to fully appreciate the novel. I really liked the political aspects of the story. Anatopsis exposes children to the issues of people with privilege in a world of social and politi ...more
Books Kids Like
Nov 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: abouzeid-chris
Princess Anatopsis is the daughter of Queen Abigail Solomon, the president of Amalgamated Witches Corporation. Prince Barnaby is the son of King Archibald Georges III, the president of Consolidated Necromantic Industries. As dictated by an age-old tradition, Anatopsis and Barnaby find themselves thrust together as they study for the Bacchanalian exams under the tutelage of Dr. Pound, a demigod. Anatopsis does not want to take over her mother's business. She wants to follow in her father's footst ...more
Jan 26, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: every1!!!
Sandra Strange
This fantasy features fun protagonists and characters and adds a touch of mythology. (The bad guy is a transformed Greek demigod.) Fantasy fans will enjoy the adventure and suspense that picks up pace through the book to its action climax. However, that said, the climax isn't as revealing as it ought to be. Readers see the book through the eyes of the female protagonist, as well as through the eyes of a male second lead who is almost as important to the story. The author would have been better s ...more
Suzanne
Jun 20, 2010 rated it it was ok
Shelves: teen
It's not quite correct to say that I have read it, but I have tried to read it. I won't be finishing it; there are better books out there to spend my time on. Why do writers (and readers for that matter) feel the need to de-mystify the magical? To imagine that the supernatural world looks just like the modern industrial world, only with wings? To believe that capitalism will be the economic system of choice and consumerism the driving force of every culture?
It's also predictable and derivative w
Katelin
Nov 11, 2011 rated it liked it
I found Anatopsis to be a cute, fairly whimsical story with both funny bits and emotional parts. It felt a bit "rushed," however, as if there should have been many more details. The characters were very interesting in my opinion, but many of them did not actively do very much or were absent most of the time, which made them much less memorable than they could have been. Also, a lot of deaths felt very down-played as if they weren't important, but I suppose that just reflects the state of their s ...more
Mrs. Mari
Jan 15, 2010 rated it liked it
I absolutely loved the beginning of the book - Chris Abouzeid set up an imaginative world where immortals rule, perform magic and dominate the mortals who are designated to the slums and used as slaves and lab rats. Unfortunately the book became cumbersome toward the middle. The focus of the book was lost in a lot of meaningless details. Still, kids who love Harry Potter and/or The Lightening Thief would be great candidates for this book.
David
Aug 15, 2012 rated it liked it
Well, this book was quite rough around the edges, but that's okay. There were flaws and imperfections, but the overall world and story were good and plenty entertaining. I wouldn't recommend anyone specifically seek out Anatopsis, but if it falls into your hands, like it did mine, then it's worth taking a look at.
Carol Cronin
Apr 12, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This is much more than just another YA fantasy novel. Woven artfully into a lovely good vs. evil story about a princess (who wants to be a knight errant), a prince (who can't cast a spell to save himself, or the princess), and a wicked tutor is commentary about humans ruining their own planet and the perils of the easy fix. Highly recommended, for all ages!
Tracy
Dec 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
Magic environmentalism and futuristic sci-fi. Modern technology and ancient Greek mythology. An interesting combination. It did take me some time to place the context, but I loved the characters, and I think the concept is really brilliant. The ending was not what I was hoping for, and yet it made me stop and think about what needed to be.
Thomas
Feb 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
My 12 year old son and 10 year old daughter have both read it...and absolutely love this book. Gives those readers who love fantasy a great story, while also a nod to those adults who love a well formed narrative. Abouzeid has written a book that anyone 10-80 will really enjoy. Can't wait for his next book.
Jen
Jul 10, 2010 rated it did not like it
I felt the character development was under-done. I couldn't keep up with the setting. The plot itself was interesting in the middle but a complete disappointment in the end. Overall, I felt like this was a book had a feeling of being unfinished. I respect the author's efforts but can't say I can recommend the book.
Cassie
Feb 12, 2008 rated it did not like it
Shelves: ya-fantasy
I wanted to like it. There were some neat ideas and concepts in the book, especially the humans vs. gods being able to create ideas.

... but. The plot just didn't work. I didn't care about the characters. And I was confused for most of the book. I didn't end up finishing it, as it was due back at the library and I just didn't care.
Kevin Fanning
Jan 06, 2008 rated it liked it
It was OK. The first 100 pages were a bit slow, and you could see the duct-tape holding the plot points together. Then the second 100 pages were awesome, and it was all the kind of stuff about teenagers realizing their powers that I love. Then the end was just OK--kind of drawn out and overcomplicated and a bit too sweeping for my tastes. But I'd read more books by this author, if he does any.
Amethyst
Jul 24, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
I loved this horrible piece of poop!!! The storyline was amazing and exciting, so was the mystical romance, but I think the ending was quite terrible and the villian was like none other. It was extremly creepy and suspenseful, but for some reason I hated it snd loved it at the same time!
Laree
May 02, 2009 rated it it was ok
I would love to give this 2.5 stars. I enjoyed it, but I think I don't understand the ending. It felt unfinished, and confusing. I think I'll need to re-read it to decide if I actually like it or not.
Anna Godfrey
Jun 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: elysium
I really liked this book, because it has everything that I love; castles and royalty, space travel, magic, and Greek mythology. It was a much more intense book than I thought it would be when I picked it up, and I was pleasantly surprised.
Cagelove
Jan 28, 2011 rated it liked it
I love this book. I couldn’t put it down. I cried many times. I can see it being made to a movie. I love how magic and greek mythology were put together. I just didn’t like how it ended. It seemed rush. But all in all, I love it.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Odysseus in the Serpent Maze (Young Heroes, #1)
  • Iris, Messenger
  • The Chaos King (Wall and the Wing, #2)
  • Lost in the Labyrinth
  • The Blue Roan Child
  • Dusssie
  • Snakehead
  • Gods of Manhattan (Gods of Manhattan, #1)
  • Unlucky Charms
  • The Immortal Fire (Cronus Chronicles, #3)
  • Well Witched
  • Serendipity Market
  • Secrets of Valhalla (Secrets of Valhalla #1)
  • The Great God Pan
  • The Fire of Ares (Spartan Warrior, #1)
  • Dull Boy
  • Celandine (Touchstone Trilogy, #2)
  • Waiting for Odysseus
Anatopsis is the first novel I ever wrote. I started it more than 20 years ago, and my goal, at the time, was just to see if I could finish it. I did. But the first version was 600 pages long and, by any measure of literature, unpublishable. So, while I was recovering from my disappointment and trying to rewrite the book, I took the opportunity to do what every struggling writer does: work at a lo ...more
More about Chris Abouzeid...