Start by marking “The Forever King (The Scalussen Chronicles, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Forever King (The Scalussen Chronicles, #1)

The Forever King

(The Scalussen Chronicles #1)

Revenge loves company.

Mithrid Fenn wants nothing to do with magick. Magick is a curse word, banned by the vast Arka Empire and punishable by death. Its purging has finally brought peace to war-torn Emaneska. Only a stubborn rebellion, led by the warlord Outlaw King, raids and pillages the empire’s northern fringes.

To cliff-brat Mithrid, this is an age of tranquility
Published December 1st 2020 by BenGalley.com

Start your review of The Forever King (The Scalussen Chronicles, #1)
Nick Borrelli
Feb 12, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Ben Galley writes some of my favorite fantasy books that always seem to turn out incredibly fun, epic, with loads of cool magic and ideas. His books are eminently readable, so much so that no matter how high the page count, it feels like I have spent no time at all ripping through them. So I'm not surprised that my experience with his latest epic fantasy release, THE FOREVER KING, was even more of the same brilliant storytelling that I have come to expect.

The story revisits Ben's Emaneska series

Ben Galley is an author who has really rocketed to the top of my Need To Read list. He intimidates me a bit because in the indie scene, everyone knows who Galley is. His books are everywhere, and just about everyone I know has read at least one of them. Dude has attained a level of popular I admire, and yet somehow I know I will absolutely never reach with my own books.

In truth, I’ve been a bit burnt out on epic fantasy. I love it, but I really need to be
Rachel (TheShadesofOrange)
3.5 Stars
This is a very classic fantasy narrative that blends together many of my favourite tropes in the start of a new series.

This is my first time reading anything by this author and I was excited to finally jump into his work, since he is such popular indie fantasy author (at least in my corner of the internet).

This is adult fantasy and while it uses adult language and violence, it was not particularly objectionable. This could certainly be enjoyed by younger readers looking to jump into ad
Juliano Dutra
Jul 19, 2021 rated it did not like it
DNF at. 35%. I've read a few reviews that describe the book as "Classic Fantasy", but after over 200 pages, I've just read a bunch of (uninteresting) infodump that presented me with a worldbuild without anything interesting. ...more
Kerry Smith
How wonderful to be back in the world of Emanska again; journeying with familiar characters such as Farden, Morden, Durnus and of course those wondrous dragons; but in this latest series they are joined by some more excellent protagonists in the fight for freedom - namely a young girl Mithrid. After she loses her family to the self proclaimed Emperor Malvus she joins Farden's group of rebels, armed with her father's axe and magic that has never been seen before, the need for revenge takes our yo ...more
Peter
Nov 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing

One of the best things about fantasy series, is the possibility of returning to a world as it moves on. I did always wonder what would happen at the end of Dead Stars Part two, the last book of the Emaneska series. I now have my reward after reading The Forever King!

I am going to start with characters, and one of the things I love about Ben’s writing is how he captures character and this is something he has consistently achieved throughout his many books. I loved the characters, both the old and
Matt McAbee
Dec 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I was provided a copy of this ebook by the author, this in no way influences my feelings or opinions.

The Forever King book one in the Scalussen Chronicles is the new release from Ben Galley, and all I can say is this book was AMAZING! Mage battles in chapter one that include daemons and dragons, all the way to an enormous final battle that will leave you salivating for more.
It starts with a land that has been living under an oppressive empire for years, an empire that has forbidden magick yet
Blaise
Nov 24, 2020 rated it really liked it
received this ARC from the other in exchange for an honest review. This is my first experience reading a novel written by the excellent Ben Galley and it certainly won’t be the last. Right from the start you are thrown into a gritty and cruel world where magic, or magick as it is told in the book, is forbidden and punishably by death. When you also throw into the mix: daemons, dragons, an all powerful evil empire, rebellion, and a revenge story you know that you are in for a kickass time. The F ...more
Lisa  Maughan
Nov 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Received as an arc
A tomb of a book full of nail biting twists and turns. Yes this is a long book but didn’t feel like to me. Kept me interested from the start. My imagination was in overdrive throughout. My heart in my throat. Great world building with plenty of action. A definite read for Farden fans.
Tina
A novel that doesn’t feel like it’s over 600 pages long, The Forever King is an enchanting, exciting, action-filled story with an interesting world and fun characters.

As someone who doesn’t tend to enjoy the descriptive nature of fantasy, Galley does a great job balancing this with interesting details - I never felt like the scenery was described unnecessarily or for padding. The battle/action scenes are executed with finesse - they move quickly and I enjoyed how his heroes didn’t spend time be
adam carlton
Nov 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
“Winds have changed. The war is coming.”
I was lucky enough to get an ARC of The Forever King. I could not put this book down and I didn’t want it to end. I have binged the whole Emaneska series and I’m jealous of anyone who still has this to read. It has clearly been a work of love, sweat and tears for Ben, which does not disappoint. There is plenty of action and violence, and it is emotional.
The Scalussen Chronicles is a continuation to the original trilogy. Can you read the Scalussen books wi
Connie
Dec 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ghosts do not glow nor shriek, nor rattle their chains in abandoned ruins. They are made of memory, haunting minds instead.

The Forever King is the first book in a new trilogy - The Scalussen Chronicals - set in the Emaneska world.
I loved catching up with my favourite characters in this new tale from the Emaneska series.
This is top notch fantasy with Daemons, magic and Dragons. What's not to love?
Queen Terrible Timy
This review was originally posted on Queen's Book Asylum!

I need to give a huge thanks to Ben Galley for providing me with an ARC of his latest novel, The Forever King, the first book in The Scalussen Chronicles.

I will start this review by saying that:

I decided to quit at 76% thus I won’t give it a rating (usually this would mean a 1*, but The Forever King is definitely not a book that deserves such a low rating).

If you want to know why you totally should read it, read Nick’s much better-worded r
Paul Wandless
Dec 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A tavern fight, angry mob, a mage fighting other mages in the snow covered woods, lit up by their spellcasting, a daemon and a dragon. This is just some of what happens in just the first chapter! What a great way to return to Emaneska. Ben Galley doesn’t lead us slowly back into his world, he puts two hands on the back of our shoulders and shoves us back into Emaneska.

Midrith is a great new character and we're introduced to her in a way that quickly got me invested in this character. Ben does a
R.B. Watkinson
Nov 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Ben kindly gave me an ARC for The Forever King in return for an honest review, and I’m really glad as I loved the book as much as I loved Ben’s first trilogy set in the world of Emaneska, where I followed the conflicted Farden through betrayals, war, death, and reluctant leadership. This trilogy begins many years after the first ends. Now I didn’t need to have read the first trilogy to enjoy the second, especially as Ben gave a brief introduction to the world and the past at the beginning of thi ...more
Dylan
Dec 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I was given a copy of the book early to review. I was not paid or compensated in any way, however, being able to read this fantastic piece of High Fantasy by one of my favorite authors who I rank up there with JRR Tolkein, Terry Goodkind, Jim Butcher, early Terry Brooks and Stephen R. Donaldson was beyond a blessing. This is a spoiler free review of this book, you all need to read it!

I was not disappointed by Ben Galley and foray back into Emaneska, the world of Dragons, Daemons, Magick, Written
Fiona Tewson
Dec 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Welcome back to Emaneska, 20 years later. The old characters are there along with feisty new ones and the usual demons, gods, dragons and vampires.

If you've not read any of Ben's books about Emaneska before, don't worry, there's a full synopsis (which was great for reminding me too) and this book works well on it's own, as the beginning of a great new saga.

Ben's characters come alive and jump off the page, and you find yourself rooting for the goodies, and booing the baddies. There are lots of t
Ade
Dec 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing

The latest book from Ben Galley is a continuation of the Emaneska story. ‘The Forever King’ is the next story. It can be read without reading the others in the series first. The story of Farden continues and a lot of the previous characters are in it. So if you enjoyed ‘The Written’ you’ll be amongst friends.

The story follows Mithrid and her friends. Up until now the cliff edge village has escaped the battles wrought by Emperor Malvus on Emaneska. All that changes when a book washes up on the be
Natasha
Dec 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book will take you on a fantastically emotional journey. If you have read the previous Emaneska novels you will find a few things different in the 20 years that has lapsed since Dead Stars. But don't worry, if you want to start here there is a great synopsis of the previous books. Whether you are new to this world or just coming back to it you are going to be on the edge of your seat, I couldn't put it down and literally stayed up till 2:30 in the morning to find out the end. Between being ...more
Tony Hisgett
Jan 03, 2021 rated it it was ok
Shelves: review, fantasy
I should start by saying that I did actually enjoy parts of the book, but I thought it was overdone. It felt like the author just kept piling more and more things in ‘willy nilly’. Maybe if I had read the previous series it wouldn’t have felt so chaotic, but I actually groaned out loud when ‘Loki” suddenly appeared. If I had known the author was going to resort to Norse Gods I wouldn’t have started the book. He also seemed to dwell on misery and gratuitous violence a bit too much for my tastes.
Renee Norris
Dec 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely love Ben Galley's books .Started with the Emaneska series because it sounded like an interesting read ,I got hooked from the very first book .I love an author who can make you see the places and characters in the story .Exciting ,full of intrigue and magic .The Forever King was a pleasure to read .Could not put it down .Fast paced , exciting and thoroughly captivating from start to thrilling finish. ...more
Driekie Swartz
Nov 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Ben Galley is slowly becoming one of the most popular and most exciting writers in the world of Epic fantacy writing. I have read The Forever King. Nail-biting stuff. Once I started it was very difficult to put down. I absolutely loved it. If you love fantacy, this is where you start reading.
Janis
Dec 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book! Mr. Galley does not disappoint. Can not wait for the next book.
Cornelia Grace
Mar 28, 2021 rated it really liked it
I genuinely enjoyed this book. I really loved the world and most of the characters in this novel. When I picked it up, I was under the impression that it was the last book in Galley’s Emaneska series and also the first book in the Scalussen series. It’s showing here as just the first book of the Scalussen series but it definitely reads as the last book in a separate series as well. That’s not a bad thing. I always had enough information to understand what was going on and to understand the histo ...more
Helen
Jul 17, 2021 rated it it was amazing
I have just finished reading The Forever King by Ben Galley and I cannot believe I have only just come across his works.
The Forever King is the first in The Scalussen Chronicles and is set in the same universe as his Emaneska series, which I haven’t read yet. Although, I presume, a lot of the characters in this book have also come from the previous series, it is not necessary to have read them as Galley does such a good job of setting this story up on its own two feet and filling in enough of t
Peter Hill
I received an ARC of this book in exchange for an honest review.

Ben Galley has a habit of writing really awesome stories, that are unique and fresh from anything I've read before. This time we're back in Emaneska, with new characters and old.

I really liked the Forever King, in case my 5 stars didn't give it away. Mithrid - the girl we follow along with most of the way - isn't a damsel in distress by any means, and isn't given an easy ride throughout the book.

Farden is introduced in the most cool
Alan Behan
Jul 15, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Death Death Death

Wow wow wow, that was bloody Epic, Its so good to be back in Emaneska, like being back with old friends, The whole epicness and scope of this book is out of this world, Farden and his rebels will do and give everything to bring the Epire to it knees,They have a new weapon, Mithrid. After her whole village is wiped out by mages after finding a book of magic, then a ship is washed up on their beach, After being rescued by Modren and Bright Spark, they are taken to the Forever Kin
Laila
Mar 08, 2021 rated it liked it
Pros: No romance. Cons: MC angry with life trope. Didn't really feel a bond with the character. Was kind of bummed when the MC gained "magic" which instead of being original reminded me of the manga MxO which, no offense to the author, I liked much better.

Don't think I would read book 2 if it came out.
Lauren Abery
Jan 08, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Other than some of the later HP books, it's been a while since I've read such a long book. And yet, this one doesn't disappoint. It's magical and exciting and full of twists and turns. It never feels long or drawn out - it's paced just right. Absolutely loved reading this one. ...more
Daniel Thrun
Apr 06, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An absolutely stellar read!

From reading the first book by Ben Galley, I was hooked. Such a brilliant read from start to finish and the words.come to life that I can see is just fantastic. I hope you give the series and author a try, you won't be disappointed.

• Dragon Mage (Rivenworld, #1)
  • Pawn's Gambit
  • The Risen Shard (The Chain Breaker #1)
  • Along the Razor's Edge (The War Eternal, #1)
  • The Lord of Stariel (Stariel, #1)
  • The Lost War (Eidyn #1)
  • Oblivion (Rakkan Conquest #1)
  • Legacy of the Brightwash (Tainted Dominion, #1)
  • Call of the Bone Ships (The Tide Child #2)
  • The Dragon's Blade (Magelands Eternal Siege, #2)
  • Shadow of a Dead God (Mennik Thorn, #1)
  • She Dreams in Blood (The Obsidian Path, #2)
  • The Prince's Blade (Magelands Eternal Siege, #3)
  • Gunmetal Gods
  • Breach of Peace (The Lawful Times, #0.1)
  • The Combat Codes (The Combat Codes Saga #1)
  • The Adoration of Jenna Fox (Jenna Fox Chronicles, #1)
  • The Boundless (Deathless, #3)
Ben Galley is an author of dark and epic fantasy books who currently hails from Victoria, Canada. Since publishing his debut Emaneska Series, Ben has released a range of fantasy novels, including the award-winning weird western Bloodrush and standalone novel The Heart of Stone. He is also the author of the critically-acclaimed Chasing Graves Trilogy.

When he isn’t conjuring up strange new stories o

The Scalussen Chronicles (2 books)
  • Heavy Lies the Crown (The Scalussen Chronicles, #2)