Start by marking “The Hope of Christmas Past: Sweet Regency Romance (A Dickens of a Christmas Book 1)” as Want to Read:

Published October 9th 2020

To ask other readers questions about The Hope of Christmas Past, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Hope of Christmas Past

Start your review of The Hope of Christmas Past: Sweet Regency Romance (A Dickens of a Christmas Book 1)
Mandy
Oct 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
There is something about the way author L.G. Rollins writes her stories that has always seems to pull me in; The Hope of Christmas Past was one such story. I really enjoyed this sweet Regency romance that connects into the world of A Christmas Carol with Mr. Scrooge as a secondary character, but is very much its own thing. It was super fun to look for connections to the "ghost of Christmas past" in this story and I loved the author's note at the end. Belle and James were adorable. I loved the du ...more
Lisa  (Bookworm Lisa)
I was surprised at how fun this book is to read. It is loosely based on a classic, and they can go either way. I loved how she added characters from "A Christmas Carol" but made this story her own.

The message that I took out from this story is that happiness doesn't always come where or when we expect it to. Belle had her hopes pinned on Fezzi to change her life and bring her out of an awful situation. An encounter with Mr. Scrooge helped her to rethink her hopes and dreams and realize that they
Mary
Oct 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I received a copy of this book from the Author, in exchange for an honest review. All thoughts and opinions are my own.

There is just something about the way this author’s writing that draws me in and makes me have all the feelings. I love reading her books and I am lucky that I have the privilege of being on her ARC team.

From the very beginning of this story I was sucked in and I found it very hard to put down. This story is not a retelling of a Christmas Carol but uses key elements from the
Karen
Oct 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Joy
Oct 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Promises made, promises broken.

A touching story of how a young woman, Belle, overcomes her pain and humiliation after the rejection of a man for whom she has waited 3 years, and learns to love again. She learns the lesson: “When we say that another person has the power to make us happy or unhappy, we give up all responsibility for our own happiness.”
The story is well-paced, and the storyline convincing. The characters are true-to-life, although a touch of humor is strewn about by the use of D
Desiree
Oct 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I thought the interactions between the h & James were sweet & endearing. L.G. Rollins did very well in being able to show not tell the reader how much James cared for the h. I could feel the plight of the h & able to see her perspective. There was good imagery and I got immeresed in the story. The H was just the best. The 1st kiss was written so well. I loved it! I thought the story was a great homage to a Christmas Carol & really caught the spirit of the book. This was a wonderul Christmas stor ...more
Maria Thomas
Enjoyed this Christmas story inspired by A Christmas Carol. This story isn't a retelling but nods to Dickens' story through out even including Mr. Scrooge himself. I enjoyed the romance(s) and the primary and secondary characters. Especially loved James. One couldn't find a finer man. And he and Belle have some great chemistry. These characters grow and develop through the story. I believe we would all be better off in life if we could learn the lesson of hope that Belle learned as she grew to k ...more
A.
Oct 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
4.5*  This Christmas themed novel cleverly weaves Charles Dickens' A Christmas Carol themes and characters into a fresh and insightful tale of love and self worth and change.  L.G. Rollins has incorporated strong characters who have wonderful transformations with magnetic attraction, beautiful scenes, and philosophical gems.  The middle of the book thoroughly explores where the characters are coming from, but the pace picks up for a satisfying conclusion.

I received a complimentary copy of this b
MaryEllen
Sep 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book is the first in a series that alludes to Dicken's A Christmas Carol frequently in each book, along with telling its own story. You don't need to know the original story to enjoy this one, but you will notice similar scenes or phrasing in bits. Some of the characters in the original show up here, changed ever so slightly... or not.

The original characters in the story well done and the plot is wonderful. The characters show growth as the story progresses and we're treated with a great le
Kimberly
Oct 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
I loved this Regency romance! The characters were unique, the world building was great, and the dialogue was perfect for that time period. Belle had hope that Lord Fezzi would take her away from a depressing home life with her aunt and cousin, but Fezzi was smitten with Georgiana and Fezzi’s cousin, James, was attracted to Belle. Who would make a match, with who? This book had action, regency life, romance, hope, Scrooge, Cratchit, titles, puppets, duty, a letter, promises, family, and more!
Margie
Oct 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I love a Christmas Carol and watch it every year. I’m lucky enough to see it in live theater so I love the actual quotes from the story. I love L. G. Rollins’ characters, the humor, the strength of character shown, the twists and turns from the original story. Looking at this review, you can get the idea that I loved this story and found it very entertaining. I am eagerly waiting for the Joy of Christmas Present.
Catherine Graham
Oct 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoy the retelling of the classics and I think this series is off to a great start. Belle's holding onto the hope she got three years ago, at Christmas, of a marriage proposal. Unfortunately he headed off to America and hasn't been back since. But then he came back, along with his best friend. But is it Fezzi or James that is her hope of a happily ever after?
A captivating and engaging story that I greatly enjoyed.
Shaylin Maxwell
Sep 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. I didn’t know what to expect after reading the description. It had a few characters from A Christmas Carol, but it didn’t follow the story.
I loved the characters and loved the storyline. It put me in the mood for the upcoming Christmas season. I stayed up way too late to finish it and now I can’t wait for more in this series. The whole book was so much fun to read. It was worth losing a little sleep to finish.
Marilee
Oct 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely delightful read! I adore A Christmas Carol by Dickens and the author has beautifully captured the essence of the book, most especially the lessons Scrooge learns from the ghost of Christmas past. This was a beautiful, sweet romance about knowing your true worth and having the courage to follow your heart. This story is sure to make even Scrooge himself believe in the magic of Christmas.

I received a complimentary copy of this book but it in no way affected my review.
Paige
Oct 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
This was such a sweet story of hope and being true to your values. I really liked the tie in with a Christmas Carol as well. I loved seeing Belle grow and strengthen as the story progressed. James was my favorite character in this book and the scenes with him were some of my favorite scenes. This is the perfect Christmas read and has such a great message. I am looking forward to the rest of the books in this trilogy!
Nari
Oct 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I really really enjoyed this book. I loved the touches of A Christmas Carol in it. I loved how the story is told. My favorite books are when I feel I learned something from the characters. This book teaches about where true happiness and fulfillment is found. I highly recommend this book.
Julie
Oct 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. This is such a fun premise to use some of the much loved and familiar Dickens characters in this series of books. The characters are loveable. The love stories are sweet. This really is the perfect way to get in the Christmas spirit.
Quiltamy
Oct 16, 2020
Susan Turley
Oct 18, 2020
Goodreads Librari...: Please add Page numbers 2 9 Sep 23, 2020 10:19PM

• Commander of His Heart (Promise of Forever After #4)
  • A Hopeful Christmas: A Regency Romance Collection
  • A Haunting at Havenwood (Seasons of Change, #6)
  • The Lady of Larkspur Vale (Ladies of Devon Book 2)
  • Her Silent Knight  (Belles of Christmas: Frost Fair #1)
  • The Cottage by Coniston (Seasons of Change, #5)
  • Romancing Her Rival (Promise of Forever After #2)
  • The Enemy (It Happened in Charleston, #2)
  • True of Heart (Regency Shakespeare Book 3)
  • A Well-Trained Lady (Seasons of Change, #4)
  • Her Unexpected Courtship (Promise of Forever After #3)
  • Grass Valley Brides (Regional Romance, #3)
  • How to Not Fall for Your Best Friend
  • A Lord of Many Masks (Wycliffe Family, #2)
  • It Started in Budapest (Romance on the Orient Express)
  • A Fall from Grace
  • Of Twisted Fates (Kinsley Sisters, #1)
  • Letters for Phoebe (Promise of Forever After #1)
For L. G. Rollins, conversations regarding Schrodinger’s cat, the effects of scientific advancements on politics, and whether Infinity is better categorized as a number or an idea are all quite commonplace. To be short, she is an unapologetic nerd. Mix in her love of whimsy and the unusual, and you get Steam and Shadow, a steampunk series of science, sweet romance, and unexpected adventures.

To lea